User friendly Wave editing

Author
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
2014/10/01 20:53:32 (permalink)
5 (4)

User friendly Wave editing

I'll be quiet about Wave Lab the day I see a few more user friendly editing tools added to Sonar. I promise. I love both  Sonar and Wavelab equally. But with a few more well thought out Sonar tools I could ditch Wavelab. 

Just an example. In Wavelab once you open an audio effect like EQ, Gain or anything, it stays in a little GUI on your screen until you close it. It remains ready to use with one or 2 mouse clicks. Just highlight and render. 
Right now if I want to fine tune an audio track I have to highlight, go to the tool bar, select the effect, set it ,and apply. Way to many moves to make this user friendly. The box disappears after one use? 

And with gain in wave lab the tool will tell you what the present Db peak level is so you can make intelligent decisions before applying. Db is universally understood, Sonars uses percentage. I have no clue how much, or how little gain I am applying with Sonars Gain Tool without using calculus. 

You may say, why don't you use Volume envelopes?  Once I apply a volume envelope to a track, I can no longer edit that track with cut and paste etc. And Volume envelopes are silly when you need to zoom in on one little syllable or a plosive. I want those artifacts altered or deleted and gone forever . With a volume envelope they can come back and haunt you. 

Volume envelopes are a great tool and I use them big time when mixing. But I don't want to use them during the editing stage. It totally gets messy their behaviour is sort of buggy to me, I know it's probably user error but this is after hours of fiddling trying to make them work. So for now I tool copy to Wavelab way faster. 

I will leave it at that for now as there are a few more tools like RMS average level reporting, but even if some basics like Gain and EQ could be improved  I'd be happy. 

Thanks for the opportunity to post in this new sub forum, I like it. 
post edited by sock monkey - 2014/10/01 21:23:02

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

1 Reply Related Threads

clintmartin
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3893
    Please...Allow me to edit the wav form. 2015/07/23 21:30:22 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Zoom in, take the mouse and highlight a peak, click the down arrow (or whatever) and turn down the gain (or raise it ) and the wav form changes to reflect the change made. I have to use Adobe Audition for this. 

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
    http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
    https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1