Helpful ReplyRoland Quad-Capture V's RME UCX

Author
Fabio Rubato
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 500
2014/10/01 22:28:22 (permalink)

Roland Quad-Capture V's RME UCX

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice re upgrading from the Q-C  to the UCX.

I'm currently using the Q-C. It's good also has some noise from recorded instruments but that's manageable. The drivers drop out every now-and-then in Sonar and I have to wait for Sonar to disappear from the task manager before starting it again. But I have workarounds and again it's manageable.

I've read a lot about the quality of RME and the UCX seems like a pretty good solid system. It's a bit of a sting to my budget, so I'm wondering how much better it would be that the Q-C? Do you think it would be worth forking out $1600 here in Australia and would I expect a much better interface in terms of sound quality? 

I know it has more I/O capability and ADAT, but I'm mostly interested in reliability and sound quality? Worth an upgrade? 

Thanks

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
PC: Win10 Pro 64;
Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
Audio Interface: RME UFX;
Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Roland Quad-Capture V's RME UCX 2014/10/02 06:58:15 (permalink)
I have an Octa-Capture and have considered upgrading at some point.  I don't really have any problems with the Octa-Capture other than "G.A.S."  But, one thing that puzzles me, most devices have a switch on the device to switch between studio monitors and headphones (or both).  I had that on the old Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 I had, on the Octa-Capture and on my backup unit - an MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R.  But, I don't see any physical switch on the RME, which leads me to believe a extra piece of equipment (separate switch) would be needed. 

Also, my Octa-Capture has 8 combo XLR/TRS connectors and mike preamps and all with 48V Phantom Power.  Looks like only two XLR connectors (and only two with 48V Phantom Power) on the RME.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Roland Quad-Capture V's RME UCX 2014/10/02 07:31:08 (permalink)
Shop around. I paid much less than sixteen hundred for my ucx. Try pro audio toys or sound pure. And I love my ucx. Totally love it. Check out my videos on you tube.

I'm not saying you need to upgrade. That device you have is suppose to be really solid.
post edited by gswitz - 2014/10/02 07:46:16

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Roland Quad-Capture V's RME UCX 2014/10/02 08:17:24 (permalink)
I use an rme quad Mic pre with my ucx.

There is a ucx remote available for like one hundred that would enable a one click switch between monitors and headphones.

It is one click in rme total mix software as well, but that isn't a hardware switch.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Roland Quad-Capture V's RME UCX 2014/10/02 12:41:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Schafe 2014/10/03 15:13:42
Fireberd has brought up an important fact. Don't ever run out and buy any audio interface without first making a list of which features you want.
Just because someone else is happy does not mean it will work in your set up. And little things like the lack of convenient front controls would make a huge difference to a lot of us. 

Here is a list of some common things to think about: 

How many inputs and what type are they. Combi Jacks? 
Front panel pad  or GUI driven? 
With a 2 channel interface is each different? will they record stereo? 
XLR mike pre's, phantom power per channel or global? 
Line level and  Instruments inputs,   Balanced,  toggle switch,  +4 or -10 ? 
Back panel inputs? 
How many outputs, Balanced,  1/4" or XLR?  RCA? 
SPDIF  in/out
MIDI    in /out
ADAT and all those other expansion formats. 
Headphones, 2 headphone mixes? are there controls on the front?  
Insert jacks on pre amps? 
Monitor level control front panel ? Better yet, one for outputs 1/2 and one for 3/4. 
Real Input metering or clip LED? 
Solid metal box or cheap plastic. 
On/ off switch
Buss powered or power supply ? Buss power is convenient for mobile, but has issues in a studio set up with possible USB noise and weak Phantom power for some mikes. 
DSP -  built in effects can be handy for tracking vocals with reverb in the headphones but not printed to tape. 
GUI mixer? I find the Focusrite Mix Control software very powerful for cue mixes. 
And does it come with free software? There is sometime good value in the freebies. I upgraded from X1 LE to X3 Studio for $99. That was a $100 or more in savings. Don't knock the freebies. 

Support? What do others say? Focusrite has been prompt and solid for me. 

And most important of all - Drivers! 
As example RME will be the top of the list for solid drivers and they also have very good round trip latency performance. You rarely hear of someone having issues due to drivers with RME. 
Roland and Focusrite drivers might be solid but they are at the bottom of the bench test list for round trip latency performance due to hidden buffers. Read this: 

http://forum.dawbench.com/showthread.php?1548-Audio-Interface-Low-Latency-Performance-Data-Base/page13

post edited by sock monkey - 2014/10/02 12:57:47

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

fireberd
Re: Roland Quad-Capture V's RME UCX 2014/10/02 14:47:31 (permalink)
I had a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.  11.5ms was the best I could reliably do with latency.  With the Octa-Capture, I'm in the 4 to 6 ms range and I can live with that.
post edited by fireberd - 2014/10/02 14:48:41

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Roland Quad-Capture V's RME UCX 2014/10/03 13:22:01 (permalink)
Yes Jack I believe they say anything under 5ms is stellar. My system and a Scarllet series is at 28ms at best, same as my old Tascam us1641. If I lower the buffer my system becomes unstable and I get drop outs. But I can get the RTL down to under 10ms if I run bare bones. 
I'm planning to upgrade my sad old  Pentium D duo core MOBO and processor this winter to at least an i5. The box it's in is a Silverstone case so worth a re-build. So I'm hoping this will improve my performance a little. A lot would be even cooler. 
RTL doesn't bother me as I don't use any real time effects while tracking but it's good that people shopping for interfaces understand what it is and not get it mixed up with the Zero latency hipe from the manufactures.  

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

fireberd
Re: Roland Quad-Capture V's RME UCX 2014/10/03 14:43:20 (permalink)
I've got two systems.  My primary system, which has an i7 3770 CPU and my backup system which has an i5 3550 CPU.  The i7 system was down for a (warranty) motherboard problem back in January.  I used the i5 system on just a couple of analog tracks it didn't make any difference, but if I started loading MIDI tracks the difference between the i7 with the 8 cores and the i5 with 4 cores showed up.

Thus if I were going to upgrade, I would seriously consider the extra (about $100) difference between an i5 and i7.  I do some computer support locally and on some of the computer forums (such as the windows seven and eight forums) and my advice when building or buying new is to "buy overkill" of "as much as the wallet can stand".

"GCSG Productions"
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1