2014/10/01 08:38:33 (permalink)
4.25 (8)

UI wrapper for CAL scripts

AKA 'Logical Editor'.

Having to...

o learn a new scripting language
o write a new script for each new task
o manage a burgeoning collection of scripts

...should not be part of using a modern DAW, IMHO.

Using a clear, well-designed, flexible and powerful UI tool which will generate and run CAL scripts behind the scenes to perform various automated editing tasks should be.
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/10/01 20:20:50

14 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/01 10:01:24 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    There has been nothing new about CAL for a very long time. CAL is barely a part of SONAR see http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/1886369. Can't see Cakewalk spending any effort writing tools to support a feature that was abandoned almost 15 years ago.
    ston
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 965
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/01 10:51:13 (permalink)
    I honestly would not know, having taken precisely zero interest in CAL :-)

However, my proposition remains, whether it's CAL that's generated & run in the background or some other mechanism that's used.

I don't see the point of having a plethora of menu items and (perhaps soon to be retired) CAL scripts in the Sonar application when the entirely of all that can be replaced with a single dialog.  Not just replaced but have the functionality almost infinitely surpassed.

This existed 30 years ago, it still remains the most useful, flexible and powerful tool I've ever used in a DAW.
    Splat
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/01 11:01:44 (permalink)
    > This existed 30 years ago, it still remains the most useful, flexible and powerful tool I've ever used in a DAW.

I sort of like the idea of expanding it, and maybe it should be improved in order to differentiate further from other DAW products. At the moment it's a "hidden feature" that could be quite a selling point if improved and marketed well...

Think Reaktor...

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/01 11:14:34 (permalink)
    IIRC, isn't there a new DAW UI that has all kinds of macros to use with it? It may be for PT only.
     I saw a video on it and when I saw it the first thing I thought of was Cal.

So Alex you may have a point in that it could be a selling point being already integrated into Sonar.

I did use a gaming UI at one time for CW. It allowed many macros to use per mode, and it had three modes. I have forgotten what I used it for, but it was nice to make a selection, hit a button, done. Don't think I ever used it with the X series.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/01 13:10:59 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Something along the lines of Studio One's Macros?   Yeah, that would be very cool for automating otherwise tedious tasks.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/01 13:23:46 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I whip up dopey little CAL scripts once in a while, to do simple tasks in an automated fashion.

There are a couple of CAL editors running around - don't know if they still work.

If anyone wanted to send me a PM with an email address, I could send back an email with an attached zip folder of the CAL stuff I have gathered over the years.  It is certainly small enough to toss into an email.  It would include some documentation and 2-3 editors I had found some time back.

Again - just shoot me a PM with an email address if anyone wants it, 

I also recall some new control surface by perhaps Steven Slate, where its big claim to fame is some sort of massive scripting functionality, to do all kinds of things for you that most other DAW software makes you do manually.  Point here is that SOMEONE thinks this kind of functionality is still relevant in the marketplace.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/01 14:25:26 (permalink)
    +4 (4)
    Would be nice to have a new macro language in SONAR. It might take some time to implement.

There is an OK dedicated editor CAL Editor. I don't use the editor but the CAL Reference is handy. CAL still works and I use it for very simple MIDI and time line manipulation but that is it.

For stacking SONAR functions together and repetitive tasks, I have started using AutoHotkey. Because it is a general solution, performing some application specific tasks may be difficult or impossible. On the other hand, AutoHotkey can be used with any application.
    Atsuko
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 365
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/01 15:29:36 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Last year, I attended a Coursera's course called Survey of Music Technology (Georgia Tech).  They used EarSketch, a Python programming environment for music within Reaper.  The course was an open eye for me and they are starting a new cicle of this course on monday.  If anyone's interested, here's the link: https://www.coursera.org/course/musictech

Desktop Intel I7 12GB RAM Win 10 64bit - Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen - Roland A-300 PRO - Yamaha HS50M speakers - Sonar Platinum/CbB - Samplitude Pro X3 - Studio One 4 - Melodyne 4 Studio - Ozone 8 Adv - Neutron 2 Adv - RX7 Adv - ARC2 // Notebook Dell I7 8GB RAM Win 10 64bit
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/02 01:09:54 (permalink)
    ston
    ...precisely zero interest in CAL...

I had no interest in CAL either... until yesterday! After reading some instructions posted by Scook and D8, I created a pair of CAL files and bound keystrokes to each of them so that I can move the timeline back or forward by a single beat. I took me no longer than 5 minutes to set this up and I was really pleased with the new feature that I had just added. I'll certainly be looking out for more ways of using CAL in future.

On the other hand, I don't think that CAL editing will ever be carried out to such an extent by enough users to justify a new UI.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    ston
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 965
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/02 07:43:49 (permalink)
    Kev999
    ston
    ...precisely zero interest in CAL...

I had no interest in CAL either... until yesterday! After reading some instructions posted by Scook and D8, I created a pair of CAL files and bound keystrokes to each of them so that I can move the timeline back or forward by a single beat. I took me no longer than 5 minutes to set this up and I was really pleased with the new feature that I had just added. I'll certainly be looking out for more ways of using CAL in future.

On the other hand, I don't think that CAL editing will ever be carried out to such an extent by enough users to justify a new UI.

For me, the reason that I have no interest in it is that it's just too close to work; I have scripts coming out of my ears already (shell scripting, TCL, python, perl, vbscript...)  No more, please!

I should put up a 'script free zone' sign on my door at home ;-)

I feel the urge to invent a hypothetical scenario as a means to demonstrate...

So let's say you have a big MIDI file of drums that you import into a track in Sonar.  You plan to make the following changes:

o Split the file so that all instruments (note values) are on their own track.
    o Transpose each note such that it plays the required/intended drum instrument.
    o Make sure each instrument (note) is playing on its own MIDI channel.
    o Apply partial quantisation to all notes (of certain values) that lie within|outside a certain distance from 8th note boundaries.
    o Apply MIDI compression to all notes that lie outside of a range of velocity values
    o Apply linear velocity adjustment to all instances of particular notes
    o Apply swing to certain notes, which are within a certain distance to beats 2, 4 of each bar
    o Insert some form of modulation (MIDI CC) for notes that conform to certain criteria (let's say panning for certain hihat hits, CC's to turn echoes on and off for particular snare hits, pitch-shift some cymbal hits, etc. etc.)
    o Insert flange-hit notes for tom hits which occur at the start of a bar
    o [insert your own ideas here]

How many user-edit operations, or CAL script invocations would be required to achieve the above?

This would be a one-button click operation in the Logical Editor of Cubase v2 for Atari (1990).
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/04 04:10:46 (permalink)
    A good reason for using something like AutoHotkey, where you can enable a sequence of instructions that are already available in a program and bind them to a single/combination key press. Once you have it you don't have to repeat creating the script just press the keys.

Mind you I enjoy using the script editor in Sound Forge and it's simple UI. bUT

What would be the advantage of having an internal script language over something like AutoHotkey which is what I use in Sonar where I don't have or can't find a Cal script quickly enough. Despite having hundreds of Cals they each seem specific and I am not clever enough to tie them together as one script.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    bobbyprince
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/20 00:27:29 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    CAL is what has kept me working with Cakewalk from its early days. I use CAL a lot when no macro I know of could do what I want. Most recently, I used it to set a controller value that positions the steel on a virtual pedal steel guitar.It's as easy as clicking on a note in the track Event List, selecting it, running the CAL, entering the fret number, and the CAL "looks up" the proper value for the controller and inserts the event one tick before the note. Any other method is a real pain. I know because I hesitated to try to get CAL to work since many of the earlier CAL's no longer work without the help of a careful reading of the documentation that Glen Cardenas, Ton Valkenburgh and others have compiled.

Continuing CAL doesn't require Sonar users to create or use a script. It's invisible to newer users who don't happen upon it, wondering what the heck Process > Run CAL is. I think Cakewalk might be surprised how many users still use CAL

Dropping it in the future will certainly mean my workflow will suffer.

I think the reason that many users are turned off by CAL is that many of the old scripts are confusing and poorly documented. I know I'd have to include comments explaining how to use many of mine. And the ability to explain the use of a particular CAL script has really never been there. How many potential users know to open a CAL as a text file to read the comments?

As you can tell, I'm a +1 for continued support of CAL. If it was once again robust and allowed a simple method for explaining how to use a script, there would be many interesting scripts created that would draw people to Sonar. It's similar to game developers releasing map editors for games. More content attracts customers. The scripts could be curated by Cakewalk so they all work as documented.

I am definitely a hacker at CAL. Back in the day, I and several others won a little money from Greg in a CAL writing contest. Those old CAL's have been shipped with all versions of Cakewalk up to and including X3. I have to laugh every time I see them.

Best regards, Bobby
    YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 703
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/10/22 00:13:17 (permalink)
    I use XL to write scripts. Some very complicated ones that built the project.

I use a bunch of quick scripts often.

At least twice the CW managers thwarted efforts to expand CAL's usefulness. Disappointing. I used a third party call extender with Sonar 4. Lots of quick interface adjustments. They told me the CW dudes changed the code for S5 and they would not share, so the program was abandoned.

Reaper's integration and manipulation via scripts is way cool.

A basic interface to record, save, and play macros would significantly increase Sonar's power. I mean not just for midi work.

jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: UI wrapper for CAL scripts 2014/11/10 21:04:34 (permalink)
    The capability to write or use programming scripts seems to be relatively popular.  Reaper accepts two kinds of programming scripts, Pearl and JS ( javascript perhaps?).  Georgia Tech University has a 13 week onsite class and 6 week online class on writing scripts.

It is VERY difficult to obtain any information about CAL as I've tried.

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1