Author
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
2014/10/11 12:53:20 (permalink)
5 (7)

I want my Overlap Cropping Tool!

Hi Features Forum!

I'm making use of this nice new forum section by starting a thread to raise awareness for my favorite pet bug/dead feature/lack of functionality.

For those who want to know what I'm talking about, here's my last thread on the subject:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Overlap-Cropping-Tool-Well-I-knew-this-was-gonna-happen-m2896684.aspx

I do like the Comping mode when recording other players, I really do! But when I'm alone recording myself I tend to use the old Sound-on-Sound mode and try to get each part exactly right before moving on to the next. 

It used to be that when you had two adjoining, partially overlapping clips on a single track without Layers/Lanes displayed, you could hover the mouse over the upper (or in the case of SONAR X2a, lower) portion of the overlap and the Overlap Cropping Tool would appear allowing you to get a perfect edit by simultaneously slip-editing both clip edges (adding a super-short crossfade with Auto X-fades enabled)!

I can think of no faster way to perfectly join two adjacent Audio Clips!

Since X3, there's been no way to use the Overlap Cropping Tool on single un-Laned tracks! So in order to use the tool, I need to open the track's Lanes and work from there, which can be fiddly since the Lanes I'm joining aren't always close to each other, vertically. Basically just takes much longer! (I also can't consistently make the OCT appear while viewing Lanes either, but that's a different discussion...)

I can see that trying to make this work under Comping Mode would be opening a can of worms, but I would be overjoyed if this feature would to return to the way it was when using Sound-on-Sound mode! 

Sven

8 Replies Related Threads

gilgovy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: I want my Overlap Cropping Tool! 2015/04/05 12:46:37 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Hi
    ...and the Overlap Cropping Tool still missing!!! I want it back too, so bad... what can we do to get it back? it's a very cool and useful tool, it simply cannot be replaced with comping tool. comping tool just doesn't do what overlap cropping tool is capable of: it is no use at all when you copy-paste clips, when you are not visualizing track lanes, and it doesn't go beyond a certain point near the clip starts or ends (you can't "heal" when you are close to the begining or the end of the clip).  I don't like comping tool because all of it, I don't find it useful, it doesn't let you edit, and when recording, it won't let you hear any of previous clips. maybe if it could be configured to switch between these two tools... but right now, I don't like it. I want also my Overlap Cropping Tool!
    trtzbass
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re: I want my Overlap Cropping Tool! 2015/04/05 14:46:55 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Yes, have an upvote because sometimes editing on a single lane can be a bit convoluted

Jordan Brown

- he tried to play bass

www.jordanbrown.co.uk
    twitter.com/trtzbass
    trgmachine.bandcamp.com
    SvenArne
    Re: I want my Overlap Cropping Tool! 2015/04/07 03:52:55 (permalink)
    Thanks guys! Nice to know I'm not alone here!

Even though I'm friendly with Comping mode, I still use Sound-On-Sound mode when recording myself (recording short parts and editing them together afterwards. I very much stilll miss the pre-X3 (pre-"lanes") behavior which had been basically the same since, I think, SONAR 4 or 5.

Sven

brian brock
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 297
    Re: I want my Overlap Cropping Tool! 2015/04/07 15:29:17 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    yeah getting rid of track layers ruined a huge part of my sonar workflow, and the tool you're mentioning is definitely part of that...
    brian brock
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 297
    Re: I want my Overlap Cropping Tool! 2015/04/07 15:29:17 (permalink)
    SvenArne
    Re: I want my Overlap Cropping Tool! 2015/04/08 02:04:45 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    brian brock
    yeah getting rid of track layers ruined a huge part of my sonar workflow, and the tool you're mentioning is definitely part of that...

I think that generally, "layers" were a something of a buggy mess and I wasn't sad to see them go. I think "lanes" are more solid and work much better in terms of comping/muting. But in terms of slip editing/fades/"flattening" there's room for improvement. I'd definitely like better control over the "master clip" (what you see when lanes aren't displayed).

Sven

gilgovy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: I want my Overlap Cropping Tool! 2015/04/11 01:27:14 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    SvenArne
    brian brock

I think that generally, "layers" were a something of a buggy mess and I wasn't sad to see them go. I think "lanes" are more solid and work much better in terms of comping/muting. But in terms of slip editing/fades/"flattening" there's room for improvement. I'd definitely like better control over the "master clip" (what you see when lanes aren't displayed).

Sven

even track lanes still a little buggy, sometimes it duplicates and you can't delete one of these, if you try to delete it both of the duplicated lanes will disappear. but that's not a big issue, like if you are recording sound on sound and try to edit later, like copy paste. you can't edit this copy-pasted material with comping tool, I've tried many many times and comping tool doesn't work everytime. and let's remember, to use it, you must be in track lanes mode, it won't work in the "master clip".

with ovelap cropping tool it was so easy, when cursor turned into cropping tool, just went a little lower and you got the "two cropping clips icon", and that's it. you moved it anywhere you wanted it, it automatically crop the ending and the beginnig of the overlaping clips and doing the crossfade at the same time if you had crossfade turned on. in order to do it now, you must change to cropping tool, crop one clip, then crop the other clip making the crossfade. if you do it wrong, you have to do this all over again. with overlap cropping tool just went to the lower part of the beginnig of the clip, and then drag it anywhere you needed it. you did it wrong, just needed to drag it again. so simple, so beautiful, right on the master clip with no need to change to track lanes, but, if you were working in track lanes, just moved one lane right below the other and overlap cropping tool worked too!
    SvenArne
    Re: I want my Overlap Cropping Tool! 2015/04/11 15:22:42 (permalink)
    gilgovy
    with ovelap cropping tool it was so easy, when cursor turned into cropping tool, just went a little lower and you got the "two cropping clips icon", and that's it. you moved it anywhere you wanted it, it automatically crop the ending and the beginnig of the overlaping clips and doing the crossfade at the same time if you had crossfade turned on. in order to do it now, you must change to cropping tool, crop one clip, then crop the other clip making the crossfade. if you do it wrong, you have to do this all over again. with overlap cropping tool just went to the lower part of the beginnig of the clip, and then drag it anywhere you needed it. you did it wrong, just needed to drag it again. so simple, so beautiful, right on the master clip with no need to change to track lanes, but, if you were working in track lanes, just moved one lane right below the other and overlap cropping tool worked too!

Nice elaboration on the heart of the matter! The OCT was pure, fast workflow! Editing is important to me! I'm sometimes tempted to go back to X2a for this feature alone...

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1