record on new track while playing other tracks

Author
charliebrown60
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2014/10/13 23:00:42 (permalink)

record on new track while playing other tracks

Hello, I am new to music maker but not to music.  I would like to record a different part on a new track while playing my other parts to keep them together.  However, it seems that I am getting the recording from my computer output, which includes all of the sounds that are playing on my computer.  This, of course, includes the other tracks that are playing, so all of the tracks are combined to create a new track.  This is not what I want.  I want to keep them separate.

I tried making the input equal to the cakewalk sound center, but that didnt work.

I would greatly appreciate any help that I could get.  Thank you for your time.

9 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: record on new track while playing other tracks 2014/10/14 03:05:06 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum!
    Asking a technical question you should always include your PC and soundcard specs. Add them to your footer like most here have done. Then you don't need to rewrite them every time you ask something. Otherwise it's hard to start guessing.
    The most common cause of what you described is that your soundcard has "What you hear" or "Stereo mix" setting active. That leads to recording all outputs.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: record on new track while playing other tracks 2014/10/14 08:28:04 (permalink)
    ^^^^ yep.

It's simply a matter of selecting the proper input.... the one coming from the soundcard's live input vs any other source.  I say "simple" but I also know that at times, things are not so "simple" when you first are starting out.

I was there once upon a time..... tell us about the gear.  Once you figure it out, you'll see..... it really is simple.  For years I used MC4 as my main DAW..... so MC is a very capable DAW with which to record your music.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    charliebrown60
    Re: record on new track while playing other tracks 2014/10/15 02:23:01 (permalink)
    thank you for the tips, I will put it in my signature later.

MC6
    Windows 8
    Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz
    8GB Ram
    VMPK ( Virtual Midi Piano Keyboard)

what else do I need?  I dont have a sound card, so its whatever is integrated with my CPU.  Maybe the AMD High Definition Audio Device?  Im guessing my video card doesnt matter.  I also dont have any peripherals at the moment.  I plan on getting a midi keyboard soon.  Right now I am just using a virtual keyboard simulated through my computer keyboard, that is what vmpk is(definitely not like a piano :P).  

Again, thank you both for your time!
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: record on new track while playing other tracks 2014/10/15 10:22:49 (permalink)
    ok, well, technically you do have a soundcard, but like you said it is a chip on your motherboard. 

you need to open your windows 8 control panel and go to your audio settings.  unfortunately, I don't use win8, so this may be difficult to figure out exactly what you need to do, so I'm going to have to be intentionally vague about where to look and what to do! 

somewhere in the control panel you'll find your audio settings.  open them and look for something that says "what you hear" or something similar to that.  you need to turn that feature off.  that makes your soundcard record the entire output of itself.  with it off, it will only record the input you select, not the whole main output.

see what you can find there and report back and I'll try to help further if I can.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    charliebrown60
    Re: record on new track while playing other tracks 2014/10/16 19:15:50 (permalink)
    So I found a setting called "listen to this device" which causes the sound to cascade likes its feeding back to itself.  However I already had this one off.  another one I found was "playback through this device".  After looking as some forums I found out that they took the "what u can hear" thing away.  I found a bunch of forums on how to turn it on, but then all they did was select the stereo mix as their default device.  

is it a problem that I am using a virtual keyboard rather then a physical one?  I plan on getting one, but I dont have it yet. 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: record on new track while playing other tracks 2014/10/17 00:59:28 (permalink)
    Stereo Mix is "what you hear". Unfortunately, since Vista, the old controllable audio mixer has been virtually eliminated from Windows.
    However, it appears that what you really want to record is MIDI data. This would be the note information sent from your virtual keyboard, not the sound produced by the synth. There is no need to record the audio at this point, because the sound will play back consistently based on what is in your MIDI track.
    Hope that makes sense.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: record on new track while playing other tracks 2014/10/17 05:44:25 (permalink)
    A quick summary to clarify.

You seem to be recording audio to your tracks rather than Midi data.

The correct way to work is..

Insert your soft synth the way you have been doing.  Create a midi track, match the midi channel on the track to a soft synth.
    Select your Virtual Midi Keyboard as the Midi input and arm the midi track to record.
    Press Record and play your masterpiece.
    Your midi track should now contain a whole load of note/controller information.  You can see/edit this using piano roll view.
    To add a second instrument/synth, insert a NEW midi track, assign a different Midi channel (which matches either a different soft synth, or a different voice on a multi voice synth like TTS-1) and record again on the new track.

The TTS-1 as an example can play back up to 16 different sounds at once. So you could have 16 Midi tracks, each playing different parts, each using a different Midi channel, all sending to one copy of TTS-1.

TTS-1 then gives you a stereo audio output for which you have a stereo audio track alongside your midi tracks.
    Of course a better way would be to use several different synths to get the sounds you want.  Each giving you their audio output which shows as channel on the screen alongside your Midi tracks.  You just point each Midi track at whatever synth you want it to play.

When it comes to mixing, you adjust the audio levels, NOT the Midi levels. You add any effects to the Audio channels.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

charliebrown60
    Re: record on new track while playing other tracks 2014/10/18 14:42:23 (permalink)
    Yay! between RobertB and Karyn's answers I got it working.  At first I didnt understand Roberts answer, but after creating a midi track and linking it to my virtual keyboard I understood.  Thank you all for your help.  I truly appreciate it!
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: record on new track while playing other tracks 2014/10/19 02:01:42 (permalink)
    Excellent, CB. That has always been a stumbling block for new users, and that "ah hah" moment is like getting the keys to a whole new world.
    Setting up your tracks as Karyn described will become something you don't even think about.
    And you're going to realize you want to start shopping for a MIDI controller.
    I suspect that will take about 17 minutes.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1