Better support for working with MIDI-key switches (High up on my wishlist!)

Author
Loptec
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 948
2014/10/17 04:09:48 (permalink)
4.88 (8)

Better support for working with MIDI-key switches (High up on my wishlist!)

This is a modification of an old post I made in 2013, but it's still one of the things I miss most in Sonar.

The key switch-function has become a standard in today's more advanced sample libraries. The strange thing is that this standard hasn't been followed by the DAWs. Why is that? It's very frustrating since new libraries tend to have too many key switches to remember and it's very time consuming having to open the VST everytime you want to edit midi, just to see where the key switches are.

What I'd like to have is a diatonic keylayout, but with the key switches included in the Piano Roll View.

I think it's very strange this isn't implemented in Sonar, since we ALMOST have everything needed already! We have the abilibty to show the keys as deatonic OR with names of our own choosing (originally meant for drum kits).. I think it would be awesome if we were able to pick a combo of these two, called "Diatonic with key switches" or something. This key-map would look like an ordinary diatonic keyboard, until you added a new note name (like you already can in non-diatonic ones) and named it to what ever this key articulation is doing.

With this function we would have the nice diatonic key layouts, but with explaining text on the notes with key-switches on them. I created an explaining image of how it maybe cloud look like. In the image I also added the functions to choose different colors for the different key switches to get ability to visually group them into (for example) bends and such. 

Here's my other post about this with the replies and discussion about it:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2882167

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

5 Replies Related Threads

g_randybrown
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3522
    Re: Better support for working with MIDI-key switches (High up on my wishlist!) 2014/10/17 08:27:43 (permalink)
    I think it's a great idea (as long as it changed accordingly with whatever track was selected).
    Right now I have them taped to my controller and one on the wall. 

G. Randy Brown 
    Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
    500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    youtube.com/crystalclearnm
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Better support for working with MIDI-key switches (High up on my wishlist!) 2014/10/17 10:06:21 (permalink)
    +8 (8)
    I love the idea, but please don't make me edit them in the instrument definition editor. Let me right-click in the piano roll to name the keyswitch there and save it as a profile for reloading when I need it.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Better support for working with MIDI-key switches (High up on my wishlist!) 2014/10/17 10:12:28 (permalink)
    Yeah, I could definitely use this. 

And I've given Dan's post a thumbs up for the ability to right-click the PRV kesy to access the control rather instrument definitions.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Loptec
    Re: Better support for working with MIDI-key switches (High up on my wishlist!) 2014/10/21 05:55:57 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Haha! Yeah! I'd definitely like to just right click in the PRV and choose the key switches-layout from a menu! :)

It would be really nice if this function also included separate CC-configurations (with friendly names) for each of the saved snapshots, since different VSTis also have lots of different CC-controllers.

If Sonar could remember the specific mapping being used for different VSTis, that would just be... ... WOW!...

Just to have the mapping function would be great though ;P ..I could live with having to select the mapping I want at the moment from a popup list. :)

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
    Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

Loptec
    Re: Better support for working with MIDI-key switches (High up on my wishlist!) 2015/02/05 06:48:16 (permalink)
    +1 (3)
    Now with newSonar I really hope Cakewalk have big plans to make this feature request reality.. :)

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1