The Future of Controllers

Author
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
2014/10/16 21:08:12 (permalink)

The Future of Controllers

I like having a mixing desk.  I find reaching up to a touch screen very awkward and tiring.  Even the mighty Rave is at an odd angle.  I have a VS-700 and it is fine, but am not confident it will continue to work with future releases of Sonar.

If hardware controllers that work with Sonar (or anything) become rare or non-existent, I could accept this:

• Two large touch screens and a custom studio desk.
• One touch screen would be mounted in the position of a hardware console and would be dedicated to some sort of console view.
• The second screen would be mounted in the standard monitor position for track view, staff view, and other DAW functions.

I don't think I would love this like I love motorized faders and channel strips, but I could learn to work with it, and obsolescence would not be an issue.

Thoughts?

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 

19 Replies Related Threads

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/17 01:50:41 (permalink)
    I kind of look at it like this: I will try to get the best hardware for controlling my sounds, and midi data input, and when I can afford to do it, I will look at a large midi console controller to control things in Sonar, such as the M24 from Mixed Logic: http://www.mixedlogic.com/

I HOPE that this kind of console remains available for purchase long enough for me to save up enough to get one, or even a couple of them.

I agree about loving motorized faders much better than a touch screen - and I don't think a touch screen is really all that comfortable to use, but it will all depend on who can stay in business, and what new technologies come along, at the time I have money to make new hardware purchases.

Kind of a look, wait, hope, buy, hang onto, approach for all of it.  :)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/17 03:02:56 (permalink)
    I truly hope that continued support for existing hardware remains, and honestly believe that CW will strive for this. Touch screens never enticed me much due to ergonomic issues (they really need to be inclined and not vertical, and within reach like a true console) and the fact that a fingertip only has "so much" resolution (SONAR has a very complex GUI). I still have the mental hurdle of seeing touch screens as... well... a giant cell phone, which is a major turn-off for me.

For your peace of mind, you may want to shoot Noel a PM, but I truly doubt there is any intention to remove support for the VS gear. The bakers do a lot of work to ensure older hardware is carried forward, and really deserve credit for that. The VS gear was specific to SONAR (and expensive), so I find the scenario of "forgotten" extremely unlikely.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/17 03:49:43 (permalink)
    I use and will for the foreseeable future continue to use hardware controllers. On my main system I'd struggle to reach my monitors never mind use them for touchscreen purposes.

The only way I can see touchscreen technology being useful to me is to have large horizontal screens as virtual consoles but then I'd need to be able to use it as an analog mixer as well. I'm sure at some point someone may well come up with such a device, analog mixer with digital virtual controls. Until then I'm stuck in the "past".

I can't see support just being dropped, there's far too much demand at the moment. We might be being led to the water, but so far I ain't drinking. 

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/17 04:22:22 (permalink)
    Karl,  What you need is one of these..

But this should be in the Hardware Forum....

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/17 05:21:41 (permalink)
    See how quickly someone has taken a suggestion up. I've only just posted it. 

Price is surprisingly good as well, at least for the mixer anyway.
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/17 06:04:34 (permalink)
    When I do live FOH I use Presonus SL32Ai which is the full console version of the new rack unit, but even having a desk full of knobs and faders available I do 99% of the work from the virtual console on my iPad.

It's hard to see how this could be useful in Sonar though.  It would give you a 32 input rack mount audio interface, but the main functionality (ie, the mixer functions) would be redundant.

I love talking about mixers,  but it is a hardware topic, not a Sonar one, so I'm moving it..

Mekashi Futo
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/17 06:26:18 (permalink)
    Another point I'd like to make though, is that if you have a hardware controller that uses a virtual console on a touch screen... why not just use the Console View in the first place?

Another point about the SL32Ai I have.  I don't use it in my studio at all.
    I could use it as a 32 in, 32 out audio interface but it is BIG, as you'd expect a 32 channel desk to be (though smaller than some...) but mainly because it does NOT act as a hardware controller.
    It doesn't have flying faders, because for it's intended use it doesn't need them.  Other similar desks, like the X32, require them because of paging. The SL32 doesn't use paging, it has a knob for every function and 32 channel faders, 4 group faders and a Master fader.

For my studio I'd want the exact opposite of what my mixer provides,  ie no audio, but lots of DAW control.
    24 flying faders as a minimum, assignable controls everywhere, visual feedback from meters and customisable displays.

Yep, they already exist.  But I don't have that sort of money   I make do with a Faderport.  Works well, does exactly what it says on the tin.

Mekashi Futo

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/17 06:27:18 (permalink)
    I have a BCF2000.  I've been looking at the new Behringer X-Touch units that are coming this winter.   I don't like the iPad controllers or having another screen type device.  The motorized faders fascinate clients too (LOL).

I tried one of the iPad controllers and it didn't have all the needed functions and it required the PC to be on-line.  I take my recording system PC off line when recording (or mixing). 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/17 07:30:45 (permalink)
    I have a BCF2000 as well,  I've not used it for years because the faders are so noisy it's distracting.
    It also doesn't support Touch, which is very important when editing/overwriting automation.

Mekashi Futo

TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/18 16:00:11 (permalink)
    I actually use my console less and less these days because I find I am nuts about accuracy and prefer drawing everything in. I do like the idea of using a touchscreen console which would be easier to use if mounted at a an 18 degree angle, but right now I feel they aren't up to where they need to be in order to use them for music production. Many of them have issues yet that need to be worked out. Give it a few years and I might consider them again, but for now, I'm okay using my VS700 and mouse.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/19 11:35:41 (permalink)
    Many touchscreens have foldable bases now.  My Dell ss240d can fold from 90 degrees to almost flat, and the last computer I bought was an all-in-one w/ the same functionality from the computer base.  I bought it for live use, still working on that, but both perform great as an angled board.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/19 14:59:30 (permalink)
    Karyn said: "Another point I'd like to make though, is that if you have a hardware controller that uses a virtual console on a touch screen... why not just use the Console View in the first place?"

I was speaking generically when I talked about using a virtual console.  With Sonar, I would the Console view on the lower monitor and use the upper monitor for Track, Staff, or other views.  So, I think we are agreeing.

Thanks.

Konrad
    Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
    kristoffer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2014/10/20 05:32:12 (permalink)
    A perfect solution for me would be a hardware controller with the faders down at the bottom (a BCF2000 if it wasnt so noisy), and a touch screen lying angeled (like most touch screens can now) between the faders and a "non touch screen" which is at the normal position of a monitor. 

SonarPlatinum/X3e Producer
    HW:
    ~Pod HD pro~Pod X3~JTV-69 US~Tascam FW1884~BEYERDYNAM​IC DT770 PRO~Røde NTK~MaschineMikro~ADAM ARTist5
    W10 - i7 920 - Intel DX58SO2 - Nvidia NVS450 Quad - 12GB OCZ Gold 1600Mhz RAM - Noctua NH-D14 - Corsair TX950w PSU
    - Corsair MX200 500GB OS/Programs - OCZ Agility 3 SSD (Audio) - WD Black 1TB
    Adagio4639
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2015/04/08 03:55:19 (permalink)
    Ok..at the risk of sounding really dumb, I'm going to ask a question. But first I should say that I've been using Pro-tools for years. I have two Digi 002 mixers and of course they were part of the Pro-tools package. After my computer got infected with a ransomware virus I lost the program, and Avid no longer supported my computer, so I switched to Sonar Professional. I'm a folk/Singer/Songwriter and it serves my needs perfectly. Here's the problem: I see a lot of posts from people saying you don't need a mixer. You have a virtual mixer with Sonar and that's all you need. But what am I supposed to plug my Mic's and guitar into? In Pro-tools, I plugged my mics into the Digi002 mxer. I was told that the Digi 002 would serve as the interface with Sonar. It uses a fire-wire connection. I have plenty of channels for inputs and only need a few, but  I don't see how I can get around not using a mixer or external control surface. How do I get the mixer to speak to Sonar? How does Sonar recognize the signal from the mixer so that I can use the virtual mixer in the Sonar Pro program? How do I record anything without an external  mixer/control surface?
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2015/04/08 07:06:39 (permalink)
    You only need hardware to provide inputs and outputs. Sonar controls the rest.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2015/04/08 08:50:27 (permalink)
    Adagio4639
    Ok..at the risk of sounding really dumb, I'm going to ask a question. But first I should say that I've been using Pro-tools for years. I have two Digi 002 mixers 

FWIW, The Digi 002 is an audio interface (provides I/O).
    Running Sonar, you have a wide choice of audio interfaces.  
    If the audio interface provides low round-trip latency, you can effectively use it (and your DAW) as a digital mixer.

Many current generation audio interfaces provide I/O... along with full routing, DSP-FX processing (EQ, Dynamics, Ambience), and external control via iPAD.  This certainly blurs the line between audio interface and digital mixer.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2015/04/08 09:20:59 (permalink)
    I'd welcome a good hardware controller at the $500-$600 mark.
    I'd be hesitant to invest much more than that... given that controller technology is evolving (moving toward virtualized).
    At $2k+, I'd just grab a digital console.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2015/04/08 09:53:37 (permalink)
    I sometimes bring up a tv to use as a second monitor. I would definitely not buy a non touch monitor for sonar. I regularly use the touch and so do my friends. Making it so guests can twiddle plugin parameters is great. No good to have one touch and one not touch.

I measured the KWh per consumption of my 23 inch Dell touch screen. 0.027. At my electricity rates, it costs about $25 a year in power if I never turn it off. My whole rig costs around 120 per year in electricity... not counting amps and performance related gear.

I have a alpha track, but that only gets used if sonar might not have the focus in Windows.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    ØSkald
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1248
    Re: The Future of Controllers 2015/04/08 12:51:45 (permalink)
    I use the kompkete kontrol S61. I cant live without it now. It just Works for NI Komplete, but it is like having a synth and not VSTs.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1