Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be....

Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
2014/10/19 10:23:27 (permalink)

My daughter wanted to watch Strictly Come Dancing last night, so I thought I'd give it a chance. And maybe I'd glean some insight into what all the fuss is about.

Thinking it might be something I wouldn't probably enjoy, I've mainly managed to avoid it over the past few years. However, I had realised that it bore little resemblance to its illustrious forerunner Come Dancing, which if memory serves used to be (rather ironically) quite a bit 'stricter'. My distant recollections of the original show include Angela Rippon, and people who could actually ...... er .......... dance.

Call me old fashioned if you will, but what I endured this past evening reminded me less of a show about dancing, but more of a strange mixture of boring back stories about a group of E-list 'celebrities' (on yet another jolly that I've paid for) and 4th-rate pantomime.

Another characteristic this tripe seems to share with other 'talent' shows is the way the judges seem to be more the centre of attention than the competitors themselves. Due to their continual over-exposure and constant attention, it could be argued that the judges of Strictly Come Dancing are actually higher up the celebrity pecking order than the show-biz luvvies taking part....

First there's Mr D'Arcey - the former ballet dancer looks down her nose at nearly everyone as if to let us all know that she was a 'proper' dancer. And by god, what a nose! It looks like the bastard child of Michael Jackson's hooter and Kevin Bacon's conk has been mercilessly chiselled into shape and then slapped on the front of her physog.

Then 'It get's a ten from Len' comes along. He's obviously the good guy in this particular pantomime, although I'm surprised he finds the time to fit in a bit of adjudicating between all the other celebrity vehicles he's currently involved in. And, of course, with all the time he spends shopping in Iceland...... yeah, right. That's probably a bit unfair seeing as I reckon he's actually a bit of a posh boy deep down, he probably gets his prawn rings and balti pasties delivered.

Then we have 'Frank' Bruno. Bruno really wants to be the star of the show. An uneasy cross between Louis Spence and Danny La Rue, he is quite simply the hammiest thing on TV since Kermit The Frog's bell-end - and he certainly wouldn't be welcome in the local mosque. Based on what I saw last night, it can only be a matter of time before he actually explodes on set. That would get a ten from me.

Finally, we have what every pantomime demands - a good old-fashioned villain. Even better, he's got a double-barrelled name, although I find it quite difficult to take seriously anyone related to a malteser. If anything, at least this guy is honest enough to accurately describe the talentless performances spread before him.

Ringmaster Tess of the D'Urbervilles seems hard pushed to keep everything running smoothly, and she doesn't seem to get much help from old Brucie these days. He just stands there talking drivel, pouting a lot to camera, and occasionally wiping his fringe out of his eyes. He looks ill to me. poor bugger. I think he should consider giving up one of his presenting jobs at his age - I'd suggest giving the old heave-ho to that Film review show that nobody watches anymore since Barry Norman retired to concentrate on producing his rather delicious brand of pickled onions. 

Then, of course, we have the 'live' audience. This mob would probably be happier grinning through the local am-dram's unrehearsed version of Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves than a bit of Shakespeare no doubt. Every feckin' comment made by one of the judges is immediately responded to by this uneducated bunch of hyperactive cretins. I saw a pattern emerge after just a few turns had graced the dance floor with their inadequacies. 'Nice' remarks by a judge were met with a holler of cheers and much whooping in the aisles. Indifferent 'constructive' comments received a 'knowing' and respectful round of applause. And, of course, anything perceived as unfair or dismissive was immediately met with an enthusiastic round of booing and hissing from the peanut gallery.

I half expected the ghost of Judith Chalmers to enter stage right and a announce "He's behind you".

Dreadful.

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2014/10/19 10:36:38

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

12 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/19 10:30:09 (permalink)
    We have it as "Dancing With The Stars" over here.

Same old same old.

Season one was excellent (as The Lovely Lady was once an amateur ball room dancer who clued me in to what was what). It got old like the relatives that stay two weeks or longer. 
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/19 10:59:07 (permalink)
    My missus loves it. I leave the room as soon as it comes on. T'was ever thus.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/19 11:05:31 (permalink)
    Dancing is not a skill valued among my people.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, Steve.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/19 11:39:02 (permalink)
    I cannot stand shows like that. Idol was interesting at first but for watching Simon Cowell crush undisciplined people.

Maybe if they let the audience bring in cabbages and tomatoes it would be more interesting. Better still, they could sell cabbages and other "over ripe" vegetables in the lobby.

It could be worse. You could have had to watch Divorce Court or some sort Oprah kinda show.

Hey Steve, why don't you bring Jon around sometime. I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses him. He just wont come anymore or what?

J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/19 15:44:21 (permalink)
    According to my understanding  "Dancing With Stars" (the Finnish version) is popular in Finland because it does not have that "lynch-the-clumsy"-attitude, but more like "let's all have fun together", "whip yourself further, you can do it!".
    I've only seen a few performances over the years, and judging by those I think it has a very positive and mercyfull drive to it. The head judge here is a guru of modern dance, Jorma Uotinen, known around Europe, but he's a popular, humorous guy. And the ball room dance-expert isn't too nose-up either.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Maurice_Pleazee
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 60
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/19 16:48:22 (permalink)
    bapu
    We have it as "Dancing With The Stars" over here.

Where I come from we have "Dancing With Guitars." But I much prefer, "Playing With Guitars."
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/20 18:31:46 (permalink)
    I refuse to watch it until someone does a real dance..... like the pogo.... 
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/22 08:16:33 (permalink)
    Pogo would be good. They should also do the Skin Head Moon Stomp.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    mourningpyre
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/22 10:51:27 (permalink)
    Ukraine has the equivalent.  I hate it.  It's mostly for drama and ratings.  
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/22 10:56:51 (permalink)
    SteveStrummerUK

I don't know about that but you are starting to talk like Yoda.
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/22 11:10:17 (permalink)
    spacey
    SteveStrummerUK

I don't know about that but you are starting to talk like Yoda.

That's how we talk 'round these backwaters Mike

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re: Jeez, I'm a miserable old sod gettin' to be.... 2014/10/22 11:30:26 (permalink)
    Steve I know you like to dance around a pool table- something else we share-
    My wife has a Kindle ...HDX I think...it's about a 9" screen and she found a
    pool game that I've been getting a kick out of. It's called miniclip. I'm just a guest so
    don't know all the features and for no more than I care about games I don't care to know but
    what I can do is play others and it's worth checking out.
    Lot of Brits play there....I'm thinking they dance very good either LOL.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1