Author
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
2014/10/20 21:31:46 (permalink)

My new Studiocat DAW is on it's way!

I get my new Pro model Friday!  
So I have been preparing:

1.  Got a Plugable USB Easy Transfer Cable and software to move files from the old PC to the new.
2.  Making a list of all the apps that need to be installed.
3.  Have second monitor ready for hookup.
4.  Ordering MS Office 2013 (I have been using 2003).  I may go with the Office 365 version, pay for a year, and get the 1TB online storage.
5.  Started organizing all the files and folders on my old PC and getting rid of junk.
6.  Will purchase a good backup program to make a mirror copy after all my programs are installed. 

Let me know if you think I missed something.  Thanks.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261

3 Replies Related Threads

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: My new Studiocat DAW is on it's way! 2014/10/21 11:32:46 (permalink)
    Actually because your starting fresh, I would not even touch the old PC. You start deleting stuff and then find out ,,oh oh, where did that go.?  
    As a rule I never delete much over time. I just pull the old hard drives and put them in a shoe box. The more currant ones I have these external  USB drive enclosers you can buy for $20 that I put them in. 
    But if your keeping your old computer just leave everything in there and it's ready to go if your new one goes out of service ( which I doubt will happen) .
    I would think about keeping it as your office computer that way you can keep your DAW off line. That's how I progress through computers, New DAW- old one retired to the office. Office computer don't need to be stellar.  

I'm just building a new DAW. My old DAW has 3 hard drives in it. OS / DATA and Backup.  
    So once the new DAW is set up I'll swap the DATA drive over to the new machine. Everything is on that drive I need to set up my studio. The Backup drive stays with the old one as it has full system back ups specifically for that computer. The new DAW will get a new third Backup drive.  

So for me there's nothing to do but swap the data drive, all backups are already done as a daily/weekly routine. 

So if you can do this, in other words, if your old computer has a DATA drive, just make sure all your Sonar project files are copied to that drive. You could do the same with an external drive but then it's 2 more moves to copy to and from the 2 computers. For the $50 a SATA 7200 RPM 1TB drive costs, they are cheaper then buying external drives. 

By the way, good move to purchase a Studio Cat, I'm building my own just because it's a hobby, but in the end I'll only save a few $$.  His prices are excellent for what you get. 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: My new Studiocat DAW is on it's way! 2014/10/21 15:05:22 (permalink)
    For moving data and backup, a USB3 HD docking station is very convenient (~$30-$40).
    This allows you to treat bare SATA HDs like RAM sticks...
    When one HD becomes full... just pop in a new bare SATA HD

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: My new Studiocat DAW is on it's way! 2014/10/21 21:20:58 (permalink)
    Yes I just picked up one of those a while ago for $12. 
    As time goes by my old IDE drives will probably never get spun up.  At this point most of my old drives that are in enclosers are IDE 250 GB  I'm using for archiving. My shoe box goes back to my original 20 Gig Drive from my first Celeron Box. Then there's gotta be 5- 80 GB drives , 2- 120 GB drives and then 4-250 GB drives. A few laptop drives. 
    All my SATA drives are still inside computers with the exception of one that is a back up OS drive for the soon to be decommissioned DAW. 
    Then I have 3 new fangled 1 and 2 TB USB drive boxes. One is just music ( mp3) and one is Movies. The third is my 3rd level back up. 
    I just tossed out 4 sticks 1 Gig DDR2 Ram. Wonder how much that cost me back when.. 
    I guess I could have E bayed it and made $15. 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1