Helpful ReplyThat fine line between mixing and mastering...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2014/10/14 16:46:16 (permalink)

That fine line between mixing and mastering...

Putting the last hand at what I think is the finest mix I have achieved so far for a rock song - it's getting closer and closer. This one I'm doing solely for educational purpose - and to provide my wife with a demo she can rehearse vocals over.

After listening to it on the alt set of monitors, in the car and in the gym (I love that little mono set up to check out my mixes), I was pretty happy with the results (something unheard of here). So I went back, fixed a few minor things, then, imported a reference song and compared.

Close.

Then, just for the sake of it, I put an EQ on the main bus and proceeded to see just how much tweaking it took to get me "there". 

A high pass at 40 just to be on the safe side, then shaving a couple of db's with a wide Q at 240 and a tiny bit of high shelving somewhere above 5k - can't remember exactly where. 

That got me very close to my reference mix - so far as my hear and set up could tell. 

So the idea now is to go back and make more adjustments on an individual track level to get similar results, without carving too much out I guess.

But I'm wondering if those rather minimal tweaks are anything out of the ordinary for mastering engineers. I mean, my reference track IS a mastered song - so some of that brilliance and some of tightness in the low mids and lows are most probably the result of the mastering process.

Keeping in mind that it's relatively easier to remove a few db's here and there than to trying to add back what's been removed, and that shelving high end is relatively easy, wouldn't it be preferable to provide the engineer with something that is a bit flatter?

Where do you trace the line? At this point, I'm wondering whether pushing forth could actually do more harm than good when it's time to (hypothetically) master?

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/14 17:01:28 (permalink)
when you get the feeling that your mix is great, then bounce the mix. There is a time to start mixing and a time to let go. You will always wonder if you just made one more tweak that the mix would be better. Most of the time it won't be. Be happy that you did your best and go mix something else.
wizard71
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/15 04:35:11 (permalink)
My opinion is that if you are only needing to make subtle changes in your mastering eq then your mix is fine. It is true that at some point your perceptions will become numb to the point that you won't know if you are doing anything for the better or not. As was mentioned above, keep the process moving finish it and get on with another song. In my experience I have learned much more from mixing many songs and accepting that is the best I can currently achieve, (at least with the quality of my gear and monitoring environment) than I have spending a lot of time on just one and hoping for perfection.
My mixes are way off being spectacular, but they are when i compare them to the horribly over EQd mess I used to produce lol. My biggest realisation has been that 10 different mixing engineers would mix the same song ten different ways yet they would all sound great. I spent a lot of time thinking that there was only one specific way of doing stuff and believe me, I felt useless. But since I started using my knowledge to do my own thing, I have been pleased with my progress.

Bibs

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

dxp
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 252
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/15 07:34:19 (permalink)
wizard71
 I spent a lot of time thinking that there was only one specific way of doing stuff and believe me, I felt useless. But since I started using my knowledge to do my own thing, I have been pleased with my progress.

Bibs

Wizard - This is an awesome shift in perspective. Good for you man. Funny how this also applies to things other than mixing too...

Rain

Keeping in mind that it's relatively easier to remove a few db's here and there than to trying to add back what's been removed, and that shelving high end is relatively easy, wouldn't it be preferable to provide the engineer with something that is a bit flatter?

Where do you trace the line? At this point, I'm wondering whether pushing forth could actually do more harm than good when it's time to (hypothetically) master?

Rain - I think you nailed it right there.
I remember sitting in a class at Sweetwater at GearFest a couple years ago and watching a mastering engineer
work his magic on a song.
This song sounded GREAT when he first played it, before doing anything to it. Then after applying his changes
I was just blown away at the side by side differences he made during mastering.
I think we as home mixing engineers (ha) can learn from medicine (Physician, do no harm).
Glad to hear you made such good progress and achieved results you are so pleased with.
Plus you got to 'show off' for your wife... :)

Dave

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/15 10:02:25 (permalink)
It all depends on what you're expecting from a mastering engineer.

Back in the days of vinyl when Masters were cut into shellac disks, it was the job of the mastering engineer to apply all the frequency compensation and compression required to get the best possible transfer from the tape "master" to the disk, so that when the disk was played back it sounded as close as possible to the original tape master.

With CD and other "lossless" digital formats, that process is effectively redundant, but then there is FM radio and MP3, both of which will change what a track sounds like.  So a mastering engineer can create several versions, dedicated to specific media.  The aim being to ensure that the consumer hears the track the way the MIX engineer intended.

The current view, as expressed by most people in these forums at least, seems to be that once the mix engineer has done her/his job and created a track that the band and producer like, you then send it off to a mastering engineer who sprinkles pixie dust on it and it comes back sounding 20% to 40% better.  Well...  No.  That is simply post processing that the mix engineer could have done in the first place had he actually wanted it to sound like that...

I might be old skool,  but the sound of my mix is what I intend others to hear.  If it requires "mastering" for distribution then I expect the distributed product (MP3 or whatever) to sound the same as my original mix.  I accept that the "mastered" version used for duplication is not going to sound like my original, but then it's not actually intended to be listened to, it's just an intermediate step between my original and the product on the (virtual) shelf.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/15 13:03:21 (permalink)
I don't believe in these unattended mastering sessions, where you hand over you music to someone without instruction or input.   Get the mix as good and polished as you can in every way, save some masterbuss compression and limiting. Sit down with the mastering engineer to get a final impression of the mix on great speakers.  If the ME has to do nothing except the final level then both of you have done your jobs perfectly.

A mastering engineer's job is to fix minor problems, set the final level in the most transparent way possible, and create a CD pre-master disk or DDP file for replication.  Not to fix your mix or change your sound.  If they think that, you shouldn't hire them.  

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/15 17:56:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/10/16 15:44:25
Rain
But I'm wondering if those rather minimal tweaks are anything out of the ordinary for mastering engineers. I mean, my reference track IS a mastered song - so some of that brilliance and some of tightness in the low mids and lows are most probably the result of the mastering process.

Hi Rain,

I'll give you my take for what it's worth. First off, you've gotten some pretty good feedback here so far from everyone. Now I'm going to give you another side to it. :)

Reference material: I think this is just about useless and I'll tell you why. They used different instrumentation and even if the mastered version of your reference is you, it's STILL going to be rather useless to try and use it to better a mix that is:

a) in a different key
b) using different instrumentation
c) a different room
d) a different eq curve

To me, you mix and master for the song while not comparing anything hard core to anything else. For example, if you are listening to a song by Fuel or someone and referencing your tune...you may want to grab the sizzle in their cymbals that you may not have in your mix. This is ok to do and very easy. You will NOT be able to get their guitar sound via mastering.....and chances are, you won't get their sound in the mix end of things.

You may want to grab some of the bottom end they get in their mix, but you have to be careful as boosting low end here may go against you. If your bass guitar is louder than your kick, it will be accentuated. If your kick is louder than your bass, it will be accentuated. So to me....don't hold too much stock in ANY reference material. There are just too many variables.

Little m mastering by you: There's nothing wrong with the subtle changes you mentioned, but here's what you have to ask yourself. You've already mixed what you thought was one of the best mixes you've done to date...how do you know what to even master at this point?

Why high pass 40 Hz if you may not need to?
Why mess with 240 or 5k "just because"?

I say that to people that try to mix off of what others tell them. You know...the ones that say "well, you should always high pass here and low pass here while removing a little of this, and adding this. It always works great for me!" This never works for other people. You need to make the right decision based on what you hear more than what you learn or what you see on a graph. And, of course you have to hope your monitors are giving you proper representation at all times. :)

You have to know when to touch this stuff. What if you may be lacking frequencies in this range and the mix is bass light? A little 40 Hz rumble in moderation is now industry standard if the mix is right.

240 Hz used correctly is nice to make something thin, a little thicker. Removing it can also take away a little "honky sounding" congestion. But, you have to hear a problem to remove "something". Anything you "just do" because you read you're supposed to or because you're referencing....may not be the case in reality in regards to YOUR song.

That said, if you really have a good mix....don't feel you need extensive mastering to make it better. There are various jobs that the mastering engineer has. I'll list a few just so you can see where things may fall in.

1. The "save your butt" Mastering Engineer: Though it's rare for me to disagree with Daniel, there are times when I've been presented with a mix that needed me to change it drastically or I would refuse to work on it. Other times I was told to please enhance it to the best of my ability, which in turn changes the mix. So there are times when the ME is going to make suggestions and possibly change the entire mix. There are times here when major surgery can be performed. I try not to take on these types of mixes, but sometimes the client may not have the mix files to remix and we're stuck with it. Surgery consists of anything and everything. From clicks, pops, glitches and 60 cycle hum to hiss, artifacts, rebuilt eq curves and oscillations.

2. The polish Mastering Engineer: Sometimes a mix is really good right out of the gate. When that's the case, I do my best to only fine tune and touch things that I hear need tweaking. There has never been a mix that didn't get a little TLC from me, but I've had a few that were just darned near perfect. A little polish is a good thing. It shows the mix engineer had a clue. Not everything needs to be extensively mastered. Most of my material that I mix here (whether it be my stuff or clients) doesn't need much mastering because I am finishing my final mix in preparation for mastering.

3. The Real Mastering Engineer: This guy receives a mix from a mix engineer that is flat all across the board. It's not like the mixes you hear from people posting on forums that already are loaded with frequencies that shouldn't be there. The labels today mix according to the producer. The producer RARELY allows a mix to be over-accentuated. It's supposed to be rather flat while staying completely audible. This way, the ME has complete control and can artistically color and create the final master to perfection. These are the kinds of mixes I love working on as they allow me to help create the actual sound.

So as you can see, there are quite a few variables as well as choices. Everything depends on how your mix sounds as well as what your vision may be. Sometimes less is more....other times, less needs more. Best of luck brother. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/15 19:30:53 (permalink)
Great info Danny!  I never knew that mixing engineers like to present a "flat" mix to the ME.  I never did that in my day but in today's digital markets, it does make sense to me the way you described it.  I think I will try that on my next song.  Try to mix flat and then do the color shaping in the mastering.  

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
pistolpete
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1584
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/15 22:18:03 (permalink)
4. The Actual Mastering Engineer: This guy dishes out a huge load of baloney about knowing what he is actually doing by spewing out random acoustical technical terms. He convinces people that his mastering skills and "special sauce" can turn an average mixed song into gold, when in actuality he screws up the song, sometimes until it is unrecognizable. The bottom line is, if your mix needs something, you're not done mixing. The true "mastering" really is only applied in the old time shellac applications.
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/16 00:19:01 (permalink)
My perception from experience is 9/10 mastering engineers suck. There's only a few that are any good and they cost a lot of money.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Danny Danzi
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/16 01:15:02 (permalink)
Rimshot
Great info Danny!  I never knew that mixing engineers like to present a "flat" mix to the ME.  I never did that in my day but in today's digital markets, it does make sense to me the way you described it.  I think I will try that on my next song.  Try to mix flat and then do the color shaping in the mastering.  

Yeah Rimshot, try it out. It's definitely a cool way to work. You don't want to go too flat though. Flat was probably the wrong word. We want more of a neutral sound actually. But see how you fair.

In the big leagues of course, the producer has the vision, so most times if something is going to get pushed in the mix, he wanted it that way. But a lot of the times they are really going for a neutral sound that isn't over done. This way they can enhance things and really do it right. Even there during the mastering though, the producer is making all the decisions.

Even if you have Bob Ludwig mastering, the producer is going to at.least sketch a picture and then he may allow Bob to paint things his way due to his skill. But you never know. Some producers run the entire show based on their vision and stick to their guns. At the end of the day, everyone should have fun mixing and mastering on their own. You only really need it when you're going to sell an album in my opinion. :)

-Danny

My Site
pistolpete
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1584
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/16 10:24:31 (permalink)
Actually, in the "big leagues" the producer situation widely varies. In reality, there are a whole lot of variables involved. Here in the 21st century, the ecosystems have changed from the old school "big record label" mentality to more control to the artists. Thanks to the internet, artists are now more free to publish work to a wider audience as opposed to relying on a "record deal".  With that comes a change in the presentation medium. Yes there are still those stuck to vinyl and need "mastering". A vast majority of people listen to their music through crappy earbuds anyway. Few people, if any, will hear your music through studio grade precision monitors. I do agree with Danny though, that everyone should have fun mixing and mastering on their own.
Danny Danzi
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/16 12:02:36 (permalink)
Actually Pete, though what you say there has some merit, we're talking the big leagues. I doubt Beyonce or foo fighters master their own material even though they have control over their productions. Another thing to keep in mind, though it's possible and probably happens from time to time, it happens way less that people in our field are referencing home mastered stuff by people without a deal. I'm sure it happens, but less often.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you on the crappy listening experience of buds. I actually had a client ask me for two masters of their album to be included on their cd. One mastered on real monitors, the other through his personal preference of Sony ear buds and the mastered material needed to sound good and compensated for at 192 kb for mp3. Though this makes me cringe, I can see how someone would want something like this. It also made me a little.more cash and was a "different" experience to say the least.

-Danny

My Site
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/16 14:18:18 (permalink)
Danny Danzi
Unfortunately I have to agree with you on the crappy listening experience of buds. I actually had a client ask me for two masters of their album to be included on their cd. One mastered on real monitors, the other through his personal preference of Sony ear buds and the mastered material needed to sound good and compensated for at 192 kb for mp3. Though this makes me cringe, I can see how someone would want something like this. It also made me a little.more cash and was a "different" experience to say the least.

But this is the whole point of the mastering process... The consumers aren't listening to your stuff on your expensive monitors, they're listening on their ear buds, home "hifi" and car stereo.
The mastering process is intended to make that sound as close as possible to what you heard when you mixed it in your studio..

It is not intended to 'improve' your mix.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Rain
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/16 16:09:47 (permalink)
Some interesting perspective and food for thought here. :)

I have a busy day today but I thought I'd chime in just to address some points brought up by Danny, as to clarify my position.

The low cut at 40 seems arbitrary, and to a certain degree it is. I guess I was partially influenced to take the decision by some (maybe questionable) common wisdom. Other key factors were the genre (rockabilly/swing) and overall production feel I had in mind, and personal taste.

Furthermore, considering that my set up doesn't allow me to make an informed judgement on what's going on down there. The way the little mono set up in the gym reacted also gave me the impression that there was too much going on in the low frequencies.

240 dip: most of the stuff I listen to seem to have some kind of dip in that region compared to my own mixes. So it's not just the reference mix, which, to be honest, I didn't really attempt to duplicate. As a matter of fact, I simply played back a few passages to give me a feel, but didn't really analyze it. For all the reasons you mentioned.

Same for the high shelving. My own mixes tend to be very flat I guess. It always seems easier for me to  bring forth those frequencies later on than to try to get rid of any nasty side effect afterwards.

Ok. Wife's birthday - I must run.
But I'll be back! :)

wizard71
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/16 16:29:05 (permalink)
There's also consumers that have high end systems and expect the quality of the music to match them. A big mistake is to assume ear buds, hifis and car stereos can't sound amazing. I can't see any mastering engineer worrying about how anything sounds outside his studio because he'll know it's perceived quality is a pure reflection of the system it's being monitored on by the consumer. If the client requests something specific then why the hell not.
If a record company asked me to submit them something in particular then I would ask an ME to do it for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/16 22:24:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/10/17 05:41:12
A point I want to make is that we as writers, engineers, and producers, want the best product we know how to get.  
I agree that for major commercial releases, choices will be different.  However, most of us are doing our best without having the option to engage ME's.  So we learn by doing and listening and try to get better at it in time.

As far as making your mix sound good on crappy earbuds, I don't go there.  I use good headphones, my studio speakers, and my car.  All of these have at least a decent dynamic range and frequency response.  

My son is 17 and he uses Dr. Dre's with his iPhone. My wife listens in her 2014 Nissan Altima which has a good stereo. Anyway, the point being that none of my family's playback systems are crappy and my mixes seem to hold up well on them.  That is all I can hope for at this stage of my career.

So to all that strive for getting better at this - more power to you and keep experimenting and learning.  It truly is a lifetime's work.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/17 13:47:24 (permalink)
I think one misconception is that high end speakers like audiophile monitors "make" things sound better.  If they sound better it is because they are better drivers, but they are not forcing that sound through processing or design.  They will reveal more detail and make it easier to correct issues or weaknesses.  The better results will trickle down to consumer end listening devices.   That is one of the reasons you see mastering engineers use these high end audiophile loudspeakers with clean amplification rather than studio monitors.  The sound is no-compromise honesty and detail.  

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
Rain
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/17 16:02:17 (permalink)
As far as personal tastes are concerned, if I had the option, I'd probably buy the pre-master, flat mix version of most of the records I own. That's how I like my music.

For rock, I am no fan of modern mixes, where the entire spectrum of frequencies is filled to full capacity. Remove what's not essential instead of cramming as much as possible into it. I always feel like music nowadays leaves no room for the listener. It doesn't drag you in, it corners you and beats you into submission.

Me, I prefer albums which aren't as "produced". Paranoid by Sabbath, Physical Graffitti by Zeppelin, stuff like that. 

Or then, give me something like Moving Pictures by Rush - that's probably the most modern sounding, polished and produced album which I'm in awe of, in terms of balance and use of the frequency spectrum. For rock.

So at this point, I'm pretty happy with my mix, but I do realize that it sounds a little unpolished by post-1977 standards.

I wouldn't feel comfortable having it denatured into something too different, but I can see the point in making it a tiny bit less personal and taking it at least a couple of steps closer to certain references.

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/18 01:02:51 (permalink)
Here are a few of my thoughts.

1 Mixing and mastering are not the same thing and should not be done at the same time. They are very separate processes and should be treated so.

2 In the right hands mastering can just take a track up another level. Hard to describe. It is not a big mix fix either. I prefer mixes that are excellent to start with. It is something else again. It is that fine EQ tuning that just makes a track sound nicer and more well balanced across the spectrum. It is that very slight compressor conditioning that just adds a touch of pro evenness and leveling to a mix and it is that limiter which can just kick it up a notch in level without destroying the mix.

3 CakeAlexS is correct, MOST mastering engineers are very average and they routinely make most mixes worse by far.

4 Genre has a lot to do with how obvious great mastering is. In a classical situation it may be very subtle. In a pop or hip hop situation it can make or break a tune!

5 I would not hand over my track to a ME and not be there either. It is important to compare the unmastered sound to the mastered sound at exactly the same volume so the level shift or loudness thing is removed. Then what you hear is only how they have made your track sound worse! (or hopefully nicer)

6 Reference tracks are vital especially if they are right in the ball park of your style and music.

7 Mastering is a very delicate operation and the music is SO easily ruined or made worse. Most ME's are too heavy handed. And many pass the mix through way too many processes as well. It takes skill to actually make it nicer.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/18 01:04:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/10/18 15:09:38
Actually Rain terms of your OP and knowing when to stop mixing and start mastering.  The answer to that is just keep your mixing hat on and go for a very well balanced mix that just sounds great.

Keep the monitoring levels in your room up so you are not having any problems hearing your great mix. (make it sound like a mastered level. You really need an SPL meter in the mix stage, I could not live without mine)  By turning your mix up you are removing the compression and limiting part of the mastering almost.  Leaving the EQ.  And if you get your mix sounding stellar there won't be much EQ work to do in mastering either.  Just some tidying up of the very ends of the spectrum and some fine tuning of the mids usually.

You cannot make mastering decisions after bashing your ears for 8 hours mixing either. Put the mix away for a week and listen to it quietly here and there and note any possible changes. To my ears importing a premastered mix into a totally fresh (week later) mastering session and applying EQ, compression and limiting always sounds better there than trying to do it all at the time of the mix.  Not to mention you won't need all that extra heavy CPU work required if you don't slam a bunch of processors over a mix.

Sometimes a little gentle two buss compression conditioning can be nice but I don't consider that mastering. I usually ensure if I do that, the rms (VU) levels going in and out of that process are the same.

Learn to live and love the premastered sound. A lot of people think they only have to go 80% of the way with the mix and the mastering will do the rest. I dont agree with that approach. I think it is far better to go 98% of the way with the mix and then you will only have some nice light and simple mastering processes to do which WONT destroy your mix at all but make it just that little bit nicer.  That is the key.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2014/10/18 02:33:25

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/18 02:25:41 (permalink)
whats up ?…...did I miss something ? ……..where's the song / mix ? 

how can the idea of mastering a song or a mix apply to creating a working mix for a vocalist to sing over ?

Yes ? No ?

I can see being concerned about keeping the gain staging right , carving frequencies , making space in a mix , the proper use of effects , and leaving a little headroom to work with ... 

in my ever so humble opinion  ,
the song is only a work in progress until the vocals are done and the song is completely mixed and arranged to perfection ,  

THEN YOU MASTER   

sheessshhh 

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2014/10/18 10:20:44

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Rain
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/18 15:54:15 (permalink)
Kenny - the song isn't uploaded anywhere, except on our local network here. ;)

Though it makes no sense to even just mix a song before the vocals are recorded, I'm using it as an opportunity to learn.

Mastering... That's something I'm not trying in this life time. :P I barely have enough time left to learn what I want to learn in this life, and maybe finally be good at it. There's no way I'm wasting time on such a hopeless pursuit as mastering.

But this one mix, by its own instrumental self, seemed to be clearly closer to the mark than most of what I've ever done, and with so little as 3 minor bump or cuts with an EQ was even closer.

So I did get back to the mix itself and tried to focus on carving out a bit of the same frequencies. Even though my EQ'ing on the stereo buss had been pretty subtle, I opted to go for something even more subtle with the individual tracks.

Turning the EQ on the main out buss back on after I'd made the adjustments to individual tracks now made everything sound exaggerated, telling me that I'd probably did an adequate job doing the modifications to the actual tracks.

So if anything, the whole process just allowed me to figure out more quickly which ranges I should focus on.

As for the rest, however it goes... Whatever we release when we release it I don't want to sound too conventional and commercial. As far as I'm concerned, it should be a lot more raw and dry and not overproduced. No auto-tune - not needed anyway - no brickwall limiting, no TR-808 bass drum sample.

Her first album was sterile sounding - they even managed to make real strings sounded fake. She deserves better. My wife is a 100% genuine rocker - and I don't mean a cutie wearing old Judas Priest shirts brought to her by a stylist... I mean the ass-kicking real thing. The production should reflect that attitude.

Rain
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/18 16:16:21 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Actually Rain terms of your OP and knowing when to stop mixing and start mastering.  The answer to that is just keep your mixing hat on and go for a very well balanced mix that just sounds great.

Keep the monitoring levels in your room up so you are not having any problems hearing your great mix. (make it sound like a mastered level. You really need an SPL meter in the mix stage, I could not live without mine)  By turning your mix up you are removing the compression and limiting part of the mastering almost.  Leaving the EQ.  And if you get your mix sounding stellar there won't be much EQ work to do in mastering either.  Just some tidying up of the very ends of the spectrum and some fine tuning of the mids usually.

You cannot make mastering decisions after bashing your ears for 8 hours mixing either. Put the mix away for a week and listen to it quietly here and there and note any possible changes. To my ears importing a premastered mix into a totally fresh (week later) mastering session and applying EQ, compression and limiting always sounds better there than trying to do it all at the time of the mix.  Not to mention you won't need all that extra heavy CPU work required if you don't slam a bunch of processors over a mix.

Sometimes a little gentle two buss compression conditioning can be nice but I don't consider that mastering. I usually ensure if I do that, the rms (VU) levels going in and out of that process are the same.

Learn to live and love the premastered sound. A lot of people think they only have to go 80% of the way with the mix and the mastering will do the rest. I dont agree with that approach. I think it is far better to go 98% of the way with the mix and then you will only have some nice light and simple mastering processes to do which WONT destroy your mix at all but make it just that little bit nicer.  That is the key.

Words of wisdom, and what I was hoping would still be true.

You know, one of the reasons I praise Logic is its ability to selectively import data from another project on a very granular basis. I even did a short vid about that feature I posted here a couple of years ago. That feature makes it very easy to start afresh without having to rebuild everything from scratch. Markers, tracks, busses, routing, busses, effects - you pick and chose what you want to import.

Also makes it a breeze to create an alternative mix.

I do use some very gentle compression on the master buss - 2:1 or 3:1, usually just shaving off 2 or 3 db's and glueing things up together.

Ideally, I don't want what we do to sound like what's out there. Personally, I'd seriously consider bypassing mastering altogether. I don't like the sound of mainstream music nowadays.

Furthermore, iTunes and more and more streaming services make automatic level adjustments, so you actually will deliver more punch and apparent loudness if you down't squeeze every last db out of your limiter. I see that as an opportunity to start making music that sounds good again.

For that, getting the mix 98% there is still essential though.

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/18 23:03:14 (permalink)
Rain
Kenny - the song isn't uploaded anywhere, except on our local network here. ;)

Though it makes no sense to even just mix a song before the vocals are recorded, I'm using it as an opportunity to learn.

Mastering... That's something I'm not trying in this life time. :P I barely have enough time left to learn what I want to learn in this life, and maybe finally be good at it. There's no way I'm wasting time on such a hopeless pursuit as mastering.

But this one mix, by its own instrumental self, seemed to be clearly closer to the mark than most of what I've ever done, and with so little as 3 minor bump or cuts with an EQ was even closer.

So I did get back to the mix itself and tried to focus on carving out a bit of the same frequencies. Even though my EQ'ing on the stereo buss had been pretty subtle, I opted to go for something even more subtle with the individual tracks.

Turning the EQ on the main out buss back on after I'd made the adjustments to individual tracks now made everything sound exaggerated, telling me that I'd probably did an adequate job doing the modifications to the actual tracks.

So if anything, the whole process just allowed me to figure out more quickly which ranges I should focus on.

As for the rest, however it goes... Whatever we release when we release it I don't want to sound too conventional and commercial. As far as I'm concerned, it should be a lot more raw and dry and not overproduced. No auto-tune - not needed anyway - no brickwall limiting, no TR-808 bass drum sample.

Her first album was sterile sounding - they even managed to make real strings sounded fake. She deserves better. My wife is a 100% genuine rocker - and I don't mean a cutie wearing old Judas Priest shirts brought to her by a stylist... I mean the ass-kicking real thing. The production should reflect that attitude.

Hello Rain , 

I got you now ….I missunderstood … error on my part 

good luck , may your musical dreams come true ,

Kenny 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/21 15:42:16 (permalink)
Ok this has been done to death and I have come late to my own funeral.

There are lot's of caveats to what the guys have said above, and indeed to your question.  Mastering as it used to be, does not really exist anymore.  The process of mastering was invented in the late 50's if I remember correctly (I'd have to look it up) to balance vinyl...notice the word vinyl.  Up until then (working from memory) the finished recording was mostly just pressed to the vinyl with no real tonal adjustments.  As recordings became more complex i.e The Beatles a whole new process had to be invented to make sure those sounds could be re-produced on a mono yea mono hi-fi system.  And again this progressed throughout the 70's.  Till tape emerged as the pre-dominate format only to be quickly replaced by CD, then funnily enough not long after Mp3 emerged the winner.

Now what am I on about, mastering to each of these different formats takes a different skill set.  I am not a vinyl mastering engineer...don't want to be.  I'm not sure how many of the above people can actually master to vinyl...maybe we should ask "can any of you master to vinyl?"  Now mastering to vinyl is a handy skill set because it's a boutique industry with 1 million approx. sales in the UK last year (yea it's actually not that many) if you have the skills and equipment it might be a nice stocking filler.

For the rest of us however, we are firmly rooted in the future, I will never release to vinyl and probably never to CD.  However if you were to release to CD again you might need a mastering engineer to help if you don't know the procedure... i.e. redbook audio cd with no more than (I can't remember off top of my head) insert figure burning gremlins and no music file going over 0.2.  You get the drift, then there is registering the tracks with gracepoint (again memory) oh and a basic understanding of dynamics...the loudness wars and how different digital convertors behave.  You can see why a digital mastering engineer might be handy...so that means Danny and Jeff are pretty safe.

However, if you are going to release the bog standard Mp3, then you don't really have to worry about all that bollocks.  And truth be told, we are in a totally different era to Danny and Jeff, and this is not a slight at them.  But in all honesty their recording or sonic arts paradigm (now I am being a pretensions wanka) is now consigned to history.  Once upon a time the Jeff's and Danny's were the goto boffins, and they deserved the title of boffin just as some of the best engineers enjoyed that title think Emerick, Norman Smith, Glyn John (The Beatles again) (whose son worked on McCartney's record) and of course Alan Parsons...lol got to love Alan Parson's, the ego on this guy was so huge boffin was not enough he wanted to be a rock star to and he made it...sort of.

Now to answer your question, sorry I have a terrible propensity to take the long road...the walk is more enjoyable.  I mix and master as I go, and I get results within range.  Yes fellas I have put up some ****e, because I don't believe in hiding behind skirts but after almost 15 years of perfecting a formula all my latest mixes are within range.

This is a very different paradigm to the one that Jeff and Danny are talking about, today we are no longer engineer's or boffins although they still exist...Danny and Jeff and they will continue to exist although less and less for music and more for broadcast.  Today as long as you follow a formula, you can mix and master all at the same time, so that when you complete a track within a hour of completion your master is ready.  Even with tired ears.  As long as you have followed the formula and mixed as you go, then what I am saying is true.  Gosh I'm sounding like an infomercial.

I can say this with some authority, as I have mentioned I have spent 15 years in the wilderness perfecting the formula...yes I am bat **** crazy.  I have completed almost three degrees in our field (third one about to finish next month with a top mark of 84 so far, on the history of sonic arts) and "with a little luck" (ah Paul ****ing McCartney still going strong...although he is going senile Jayz the best concert he ever attended) a PHD offer next year.  Although with this caveat, I make the above claim, I am based in the land of theory, although all my music is up on soundcloud so you can judge yourself, I have had music I have written and produced used on three different TV shows here in Oz too.  But I have never had a hit record or released a record.  So take my advice as you will.

To conclude, we are in a different era of music/sonic production.  The mastering engineer does exist but is a bit of an anachronism, they're not necessary unless your going to release to vinyl...and who is going to release to vinyl and I point to all the pretentious wankas out there.  You can mix and master all at the same time, and you should mix and master at the same time, the line does not exist anymore.  Today's sonic composer "is all things as he is no things" (paraphrasing Malcom McDowell...Caligula 1980 ;)) as long as you have the skill set, there is no reason why you can't paint beautiful mixes and masters.  Sonic Digital Impressionism or something along those lines.  This is what the 60's masters were, although they needed a team to create their sonic masterpieces...today we can do it with as one man or woman with a machine that fit's into the palm of our hands.  Ah it's a funny time.  But if anyone wants the formula, or the treatise or even the manifesto on Sonic Digital Impressionism, one day I will sit down and write it out for you.

Finally this post was not to knock Danny or Jeff, but to offer a third way.  Their way was correct and is still correct but it's fast becoming history...everything becomes history even The Beatles...even you and me.  So Danny and Jeff I'm just offering my answer to the above question, which is the line no longer exists between mixing and mastering.  We are now sonic painters, capturing the light within the mundane ;) Van Gough would be proud.     

Ben  

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
BenMMusTech
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/21 15:52:36 (permalink)
Why high pass 40 Hz if you may not need to?
Why mess with 240 or 5k "just because"?

Oh Danny is right here, but what he is saying use your ear and I would also add use your spectrum analyser, it can tell you when your ears can't.  Within the formula there is room for movement.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
Rain
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/21 21:47:10 (permalink)
As I said earlier: 
"The low cut at 40 seems arbitrary, and to a certain degree it is. I guess I was partially influenced to take the decision by some (maybe questionable) common wisdom. Other key factors were the genre (rockabilly/swing) and overall production feel I had in mind, and personal taste.

Furthermore, my set up doesn't allow me to make an informed judgement on what's going on down there. The way the little mono set up in the gym reacted also gave me the impression that there was too much going on in the low frequencies.

240 dip: most of the stuff I listen to seem to have some kind of dip in that region compared to my own mixes. So it's not just the reference mix, which, to be honest, I didn't really attempt to duplicate. As a matter of fact, I simply played back a few passages to give me a feel, but didn't really analyze it."

So that's basically following what my ears are telling me, and a certain gut feeling, as well as my very own preferences.

As for the Analyzer, I'm fortunate enough to have access to one right into my default EQ - and a LARGE one at that (shown at 111% below but can be enlarged as needed). That's the only EQ I need and use. So anytime I EQ anything, I can always have a quick look at the spectrum, pre and post EQ.

BenMMusTech
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/21 22:10:41 (permalink)

That's how I work these days, the screen never lies in that regard.  I can see from that screen shot that there is a nasty bump at around 70ish Hz, and one that could be tackled in a couple of ways, either use a low-cut filter and do a general clean or maybe just a shelving filter and gently massage it out, actually there are four ways, or a general EQ and carve it out or finally a multi-band compressor.  But if you are in the mixing stage and about to go into the mastering stage...the question is what is causing this issue?  The mix from that screen shot is not very even.

Ben 

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: That fine line between mixing and mastering... 2014/10/21 23:13:23 (permalink)
I think you hire a Mastering Engineer depending on the quality of the end product you are expecting to obtain.  If you are a professional musician wanting to put out polished professional work, you hire people like Danny and Jeff that have REAL skins on the wall.  You would probably do best to track in a true studio environment as well.....with real instruments.  If your a home studio artist posting 256 mp3 files, you can do fine small mastering your own. 

I feel very confident that if either Danny or Jeff were to Master a project that I did, it would turn out far better than what I could do myself, even though I have been doing this for 10 years as well.  It's called experience, quality equipment and tested environment.  There is a reason that clientele still go to the proven, for the professional end product.     

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1