Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture?

Author
optimus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
2014/10/15 08:39:21 (permalink)

Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture?

I have been having problems with panning instruments in Sonar X3e. I would rotate the pan knobs but could hear no effect in the monitors. I am sure that this is something new as I could pan previously, but now everything sounds as if it is mono. My interface is connected as instructed in the manual to outputs 1 and 2, with I presume give an output that is stereo, but panning seemed to have no effect.

Not finding any help in the manual I decided to initialize the interface and the effect was dramatic. The volume suddenly doubled and the output changed to stereo and my pan controls became effective. Obviously, I thought, that at sometime I had changed some settings, and now that I had initialized, everything was back to normal. WRONG.

During my next session I started up the computer and interface and DAW, and to my disappointment everything had reverted back to the lifeless mono again. Again, I initialized the interface and everything came back to full volume and stereo.

So I ask the question, is this the normal operation of the OctaCapture, that it needs to be initialized at every boot up, or have I missed something in the setup? Unfortunately the manual offers no clues. 
I believe the OctaCapture is a popular unit, so has anybody come across this behaviour and fixed it, if indeed it is fixable. I can't believe that Roland would have their equipment boot up in this unflattering way.

Wal

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch

10 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture? 2014/10/15 09:08:34 (permalink)
    I have an Octa-Capture and don't have to run the Octa-Capture Control Panel every time. 
    I have my studio monitors connected to the 1 and 2 outputs on the rear.  I also have a headset distribution amp connected to the headset jack on the front panel.

Open the Octa-Capture control panel.  Click on Device then Initialize and select ALL.  This will restore it to factory settings. 

You may also want to uninstall what Octa-Capture software you have and reinstall (or install) the latest from Roland. There are two files, the driver and the Octa-Capture Control Panel software.  Also, when you install the driver, disconnect the device from PC or better yet have it powered off and only power on after the driver has loaded or if the driver install program tells you to (I don't remember which).  When you first installed it, if you connected it and powered it on before installing the driver it could be corrupted.

To uninstall, with the Octa-Capture powered on and connected, go to the Device Manager.  The Octa-Capture will be listed under the Sound section.  RIGHT click on the Octa-Capture entry to highlight it and then LEFT click "Uninstall".  ALSO uninstall the driver.  Power off the Octa-Capture.  Restart the PC (important don't skip the restart).  Now do a new install starting with the Driver first.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    optimus
    Re: Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture? 2014/10/15 13:16:01 (permalink)
    Thanks Fireberd, did all that and now everything is good again. After shutdown now there is no need to initialize on boot up. I should have thought to do that first of.

One thing I did notice when I shut down the Octa manually, the display said it was saving its setup, said goodbye, then shut down. Now I use a system that automatically starts all my systems when the computer boots up, and shuts everything down when I turn of the computer. The Octa shuts down abruptly when the power is cut and doesn't get to perform its own shutdown procedure. Perhaps after repeated shut downs something in its brain gets scrambled and then requires itself to be initialized again.

We'll see what happens. If the problem re-occurs, maybe I'll need to shut it down manually so it can put itself in order. 

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture? 2014/10/16 00:41:27 (permalink)
    I think it is wise to always shut off everything in it's proper sequence to avoid damage to speakers and equipment. 

I am in the habit of turning my interfaces monitor level down and off before shut down.
    I then turn off my power amp. Then shut down the PC. 
    I leave my interface turned on unless I am taking a few days off from studio work.  Then there is a master Furman power conditioner that kills everything. 
    Start up would be hit the computer power, then the interface power immediately as its booting, and then the monitor power. After Sonar loads I turn up the Monitor level to a moderately safe level. 

I think the computer likes to find the interface when it loads the system drivers so I always turn it on within a second after turning on the PC.  So this is why I leave it on most of the the time anyhoo. Because it uses a wall wart turning it off is moot. Turning off the wall wart is the only way to save juice which will save me a few pennies. . 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

fireberd
    Re: Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture? 2014/10/16 06:46:35 (permalink)
    Having said how well my Octa-Capture works, it developed a problem during a recording session yesterday.  The headphone out is gone (jack feels loose).  As I'm an ex amp tech I'm going to get into it and see if I can fix it (I suspect the jack).  If not, I'm going to have to find a repair center to send it to (and spend the $$).  

Fortunately I have a back up unit, an MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    optimus
    Re: Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture? 2014/10/16 08:47:27 (permalink)
    JohnnyV, you make some good points. I should really sort out my setup so that things can be done  properly, but the path of least resistance is just that. Anyway so far so good. The Octa has survive a number of boot ups now with nothing untoward happening, so all is good for now.

Fireberd, I hope your problem is nothing major $$ wise. With luck it will be a broken solder joint on one of the jack terminals. Hope it is easily accessible. My headphone jack feeds a headphone distribution amp, so it rarely gets jiggled.

fireberd
    Re: Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture? 2014/10/16 09:48:51 (permalink)
    Well, I've disassembled it and found the plastic casing around the jack was loose (how that happened???).  I've cleaned the contacts with De-Oxit contact cleaner, reassembled the plastic cover and it tested out OK with an ohmmeter.  Put it back together and reinstalled in my rack and recabled it.  Its working now.  I run a cable to a headphone distribution amp too (Rolls RA62). 

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    optimus
    Re: Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture? 2014/10/18 07:20:12 (permalink)
    Fireberd, all's well that ends well. Saved yourself some dollars which is good.

fireberd
    Re: Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture? 2014/10/21 06:40:10 (permalink)
    I saved some $$ on a repair shop fix but the Octa-Capture will be relegated to backup unit.  I have a Studio-Capture due for delivery from Sweetwater today.  (I had been looking at upgraded units for several months, it wasn't because of the problem with the Octa-Capture).

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture? 2014/10/21 14:38:34 (permalink)
    i don't know, 
    having a jack fall apart so easily as the one you described,
    would definitly fall under my definition of 'a problem'

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

fireberd
    Re: Is this the normal default for the Roland OctaCapture? 2014/10/21 18:07:00 (permalink)
    I won't blame Roland, I'll blame myself.  The front of the rack sits on the right side of my computer console and facing me.  I probably "bumped" the patch cord plugged into the Octa-Capture headphone jack several times.  In a different position it would not have been in the "line of fire". 

But, fortunately, it was fixable. I did a recording session today and used it and no problems.  The new Studio-Capture came in and has been installed and checked out.  I'll be using that and the front panel does not protrude past the front of the rack like the Octa-Capture does.  A little "safer" in my installation.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1