Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks

Author
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
2014/10/21 15:23:54 (permalink)

Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks

Quick question, is it just me, or when you click a track number in Track-View multiple times that it may be random as to whether it selects the single track, all tracks in the folder, or all tracks in the project? I tried to see if this followed the Reference Guide's sequence, but I haven't been able to totally replicate that sequence every time. Didn't want to report a bogus bug. Thanks!

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.

9 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks 2014/10/21 15:46:24 (permalink)
    I think these are the options. The same applies to a folder and all tracks with the folder.

• Click unselected track # once - selects track.
    • Click selected track # once - de-selects track.
    • Fast double-ciick on unselected track # - selects all tracks
    • Slow double-click on unselected track # - selects track on first click, de-selects on second.
    • Double-click selected track # - first click turns off any tracks that are selected except the track on which you double-clicked. Second click turns off the track on which you double-clicked.

The only variation on this theme is double-clicking after all tracks had been selected and are then de-selected. SONAR assumes that if you just de-selected all tracks, you probably don't want to select them all again. For example, assuming all tracks are de-selected:

• Double-click track 4. This selects all tracks. Now click any track. This de-selects all tracks except the one you clicked. If you now double-click on any track, it will select then de-select that track rather than select all.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    slumbermachine
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks 2014/10/21 16:13:32 (permalink)
    This is a common problem for myself and I just figure I'm not doing it correctly. Here's the scenario:
    1. Create a 4 bar audio loop in 1 track of a multi-track project (have at least 6 tracks)
    2. In track view, highlight the 4 bar loop
    3. Ctrl-C to copy the loop
    4. Now, click on the timeline to jump to the end of the 4-bar loop
    5. Now, ctrl-V to paste the loop
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 multiple times so it covers a 3 minute song
    Result: Sometimes it will paste to the wrong track or not at all due to the track selected going off. It should be easier to stay locked in the same track you are working in so I'm not constantly having to re-click on the track number to highlight it again. Or maybe there is a bug where the track selection is changing from a click location it shouldn't be.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks 2014/10/21 16:46:11 (permalink)
    Haha, I thought I was the only one who never understood the methodology to this!

I tend to slow click until I get what I want. Almost always it is to select all within that track. I wish there was an option to make that the default.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Anderton
    Re: Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks 2014/10/21 19:51:45 (permalink)
    Instead of this...

slumbermachine
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 multiple times so it covers a 3 minute song

Do this:

5. Select Edit > Paste Special and specify the number of repetitions you want.

You can also choose an alternate destination track, link clips, etc.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks 2014/10/22 08:53:23 (permalink)
    I tend to also use the Paste Special, and it is quite consistent for me.  I also give thought in the Copy as to what sorts of events I am bringing along for the ride, for midi data. (tempo changes, markers, etc.)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    slumbermachine
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks 2014/10/24 14:53:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the paste special suggestions. I am aware of it, but it slows my workflow so I don't use it. Doing as much as possible from the keyboard is faster then right clicking, selecting paste special, going into the box, checking all the settings, and rechecking the track number there, then clicking "ok". Much slower then, click, ctrl-c, click, ctrl-v.

Unfortunately after testing this some more I think this is a bug or bad UI design. Here are some detailed steps to reproduce the bug:
    1. Create a 4 bar audio loop in 1 track of a multi-track project (have at least 6 tracks) - select a track in the middle of the project.
    4. Now, click on the timeline after the 4-bar loop, right behind it, here is where the bug is.
      1. The highlighted track at this point will de-select. This is the wrong behavior, if the user has clicked on a blank area of a track, that track should stay selected. If the user clicks on a blank area of another track it should immediately jump to that track and vice versa.
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks 2014/10/29 12:58:52 (permalink)
    I map go to end of selection to ctrl shift g. Then you could just jump to the end of selection and paste.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Splat
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks 2014/10/29 13:24:03 (permalink)
    There was a new thread pointing to this thread in the problem reports forum (I have deleted it and have PM'd OP as it was just a pointer to this thread). If anybody else is able to reproduce #7 and feel it is "wrong behaviour", I or other hosts I'm sure will willingly move this issue to problem reports forum. If it doesn't get moved after this please PM me. Sorry I'm unable to validate this issue myself right now.

Many thanks...

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    Anderton
    Re: Select Track, Select All in Folder, Select all Tracks 2014/10/29 22:01:10 (permalink)
    slumbermachine
    Thanks for the paste special suggestions. I am aware of it, but it slows my workflow so I don't use it. Doing as much as possible from the keyboard is faster then right clicking, selecting paste special, going into the box, checking all the settings, and rechecking the track number there, then clicking "ok". Much slower then, click, ctrl-c, click, ctrl-v.

It doesn't have to be that complicated because the defaults will be for the selected track, starting at the now time. So if you've already selected the track and have the now time at the end of the loop, it's just ctrl+alt+v, enter the number of repetitions, hit return.

Unfortunately after testing this some more I think this is a bug or bad UI design. Here are some detailed steps to reproduce the bug:
    1. Create a 4 bar audio loop in 1 track of a multi-track project (have at least 6 tracks) - select a track in the middle of the project.
    4. Now, click on the timeline after the 4-bar loop, right behind it, here is where the bug is.
      1. The highlighted track at this point will de-select. This is the wrong behavior, if the user has clicked on a blank area of a track, that track should stay selected. If the user clicks on a blank area of another track it should immediately jump to that track and vice versa.

I'm not able to reproduce, but what is supposed to be happening isn't quite clear. In (1), when you say "select a track in the middle of the project" do mean that you should create the 4 bar loop in a track in the middle of a project, or that after creating the loop, you should select a different track in the middle of the project? And by "middle of the project," do you mean the middle as it relates to the Now time, or to the list of tracks?

In (4), when you say click on the blank area of another track, do you mean in the clips pane or a blank area in the track header?

Finally, are you sure you're not using "select" interchangeably for a track that has the focus or a track that is selected?

When I do what I think you want me to do, everything works as I would expect so either I have different expectations, or I don't understand how to create whatever problem you're experiencing.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1