X3 and Techy Abstruseness

Author
webbs hill studio
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
2014/10/21 17:27:42 (permalink)

X3 and Techy Abstruseness

hey,they are at it again upstairs-sometimes i`m so glad i`m a luddite and using 8.5.3.
"techy abstruseness" is definately beyond me.
cheers

8 Replies Related Threads

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re: X3 and Techy Abstruseness 2014/10/21 17:53:22 (permalink)
    Hello Tony, well I'm not sure about this comment and it's appropriateness in this forum but a couple of things: firstly I too use to bemoan the X series and don't get me wrong they're still issues.  The multi-dock I still hate and have no real use for...at the moment, perhaps when I go multi-screen I might.  But apart from that now I have got use to all the whacky changes I use to fire up about "I have learned to love the bomb" or at least put up with it.

Secondly, the Pro Channel stuff is too good to ignore and being stuck in 8.53 land means you ignore it...at your own peril.  Honestly I need a few extra bit's and pieces, exotic stuff and the Pro Chanel stuff, it's my goto EQ and Compressor, couple that with the tape sim, although it's not that impressive and the console emulator (Which is impressive) and you have a lot of reasons to upgrade.  Then there is touchscreen implementation (still a little gimmicky for me, I have a touchscreen but have yet to use it but I can envision a day when I will def use). 

So my advice for you Tony is "learn to love the bomb" oh there were a couple of useful things, which you will have missed out on now because you didn't upgrade...most notably R-Mix, handy...not the best but handy. And of course you miss out on Melyodyne, which when used properly as an effect not a pitch correction tool can be useful for strange things...robot voices, robot choirs yada, yada.

Ben      

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    webbs hill studio
    Re: X3 and Techy Abstruseness 2014/10/21 18:29:10 (permalink)
    Hi Ben-haven`t spoken to you for years-good to see you hanging in there.
    thanks for your advice-unfortunately i don`t have the skills or patience to upgrade to X3,mainly because i don`t compose or create music with samples and libraries etc-i only record live-to me,the performance is paramount and believe it or not,my raw mixes are becoming popular,perhaps because they lack that post production sheen ,loudness,compression etc and (hopefully),if you close your eyes and turn it up you are in the room with the band,warts and all.
    as for the "impressive console emulator"-i admit it would be easier to clean a monitor than an actual desk but re-assigning channels with a marker pen could be problematic although sending it in for servicing would be cheaper.

as for "pitch correction"-if you can`t sing in tune or key,WTF are you doing singing in a recording studio??
    just saying..........

cheers
    tony
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: X3 and Techy Abstruseness 2014/10/21 18:40:44 (permalink)
    Anyone with money can sing in a recording studio ;)

webbs hill studio

as for "pitch correction"-if you can`t sing in tune or key,WTF are you doing singing in a recording studio??
    just saying..........

cheers
    tony

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    webbs hill studio
    Re: X3 and Techy Abstruseness 2014/10/21 18:45:02 (permalink)
    Mystic38
    Anyone with money can sing in a recording studio ;)

haha-money talks,bull excrement walks-and AutoTune works,sadly.....

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re: X3 and Techy Abstruseness 2014/10/21 19:57:38 (permalink)

Link?

I simply cannot be arsed to go looking for this thread....

I am, as previously mentioned, a lazy, lazy man.

Mind you, I expect it's already been locked/moved/deleted/desensitized/emasculated already

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re: X3 and Techy Abstruseness 2014/10/21 22:02:26 (permalink)
    webbs hill studio
    thanks for your advice-unfortunately i don`t have the skills or patience to upgrade to X3,mainly because i don`t compose or create music with samples and libraries etc-i only record live-to me,the performance is paramount and believe it or not,my raw mixes are becoming popular,perhaps because they lack that post production sheen ,loudness,compression etc and (hopefully),if you close your eyes and turn it up you are in the room with the band,warts and all.
    as for the "impressive console emulator"-i admit it would be easier to clean a monitor than an actual desk but re-assigning channels with a marker pen could be problematic although sending it in for servicing would be cheaper.

just saying..........

cheers
    tony

Well to your first comment, if you don't use Sonar as a composition tool and or by extension a digital instrument, then perhaps protools would be better for you lol ;)

Secondly I can sing but as I said you can use Meloydyne for other things, I like to cut up my orchestral sounds which I write into Notion, then I **** with time and space.  Just saying.

And Steve, as I was writing my first post, the mods moved it down here.  Lol

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    webbs hill studio
    Re: X3 and Techy Abstruseness 2014/10/21 22:05:45 (permalink)
    SteveStrummerUK

Link?

I simply cannot be arsed to go looking for this thread....

I am, as previously mentioned, a lazy, lazy man.

Mind you, I expect it's already been locked/moved/deleted/desensitized/emasculated already

hi steve-I can`t be bothered re-finding it again-was just cruising the Sonar forum and the phrase"X3 and  Techy Abstruseness" just caught my eye and I thought I would run with it.............
    cheers
    webbs hill studio
    Re: X3 and Techy Abstruseness 2014/10/21 22:18:43 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech
    webbs hill studio

just saying..........

cheers
    tony

Well to your first comment, if you don't use Sonar as a composition tool and or by extension a digital instrument, then perhaps protools would be better for you lol ;)
     Ben

haha-nice one-but you could have named any of the popular DAW`s- a wav is a wav is a wav no matter the medium you use to record it-to me it`s the combination of artist/instrument,mic choice,mic placement,room knowledge and the ability to get the best out of the artist.
    Obviously to artists like yourself it is a valuable composition aid but to me it`s just a fancy 24 track recorder albeit rock solid with none of the drawbacks of tape.
    such is the diversity of Sonar.
    cheers

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1