Helpful Reply[Solved] Play/stop Now Time behavior has gone pre-SONAR 4.0

Author
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
2014/10/22 05:35:36 (permalink)

[Solved] Play/stop Now Time behavior has gone pre-SONAR 4.0

Hi forum, quick question (and presumably quick solution)!

I must have changed the setting accidentally because now the Now Time does not reset upon pressing stop (spacebar), while ctrl-stop makes the Now Time goes back to where it was. It used to be the other way around since forever!

I can't for the life of me remember where inside Preferences you change this behavior!

Help!
Sven

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Play/stop Now Time behavior has gone pre-SONAR 4.0 2014/10/22 06:59:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2014/10/22 08:53:28
If you have the Track Pane open (Track View)

You will see some menu buttons with drop-down arrows, just above the track names and clips.

These include: View, Options, Tracks, etc...

Click on the arrow on the right side of the Options menu button, to expand its drop-down choices.

One of these choices is: On Stop, Rewind to Now Marker

If this option is checked, then when play stops, Sonar will do just that, and rewind you to wherever the Now Marker is set.  This is what I use for normal tracking/recording, and simple playback, so that I can cruise through sections of a track and then go back to where I had started the playback to decide then what next to do.

When that option is NOT checked, then when playback is stopped, Sonar will simply stop at that point.  I typically DO have the option unchecked during EDITING of a track's data, and so as I work through some troubled part of a track, I very much want to keep the positioning within the track I am editing, right where I am working - so I do not during edits want Sonar rewinding anywhere.  

That's the beauty of using this option, that there IS this level of control, checked for tracking/playback, and unchecked for editing.  (of course, there are frequently times during editing that I also have the option checked to rewind, and it all comes down to whatever works best for what you are needing at any given moment.  It's nice to have this choice).

Others may chime in with other rationale for setting this option one way or the other, it comes down to whatever works for what you are trying to do, and/or are more comfortable with doing.

I hope that was what you were looking for, (and that it helped)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
robert_e_bone
Re: Play/stop Now Time behavior has gone pre-SONAR 4.0 2014/10/22 07:12:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2014/10/22 08:53:46
One more thing I forgot to mention, is that the additon of the CTRL key makes a huge difference in terms of how the rewind/stop behavior is handled by hitting the space bar - along with the option's setting.

The default setting for that Option (On Stop, rewind to Now Marker), ALSO is affected by whether or not the CTRL key is pressed with the Space Bar.

The behaviors are as follows for when the option is CHECKED, and playback is occurring:

1.  Space Bar being pressed will cause Sonar to both Stop AND to Rewind to Now Marker.
2.  CTRL+Space Bar will cause Sonar to simply Stop and NOT to then rewind.

The behaviors are as follows (and simply the opposite of the above) for when the option is NOT checked, and playback is occurring:

1.  Space Bar being pressed will cause Sonar to simply Stop and NOT rewind
2.  CTRL+Space Bar will cause Sonar to both Stop AND to then Rewind to the Now Marker.

So, no matter which way the option is set, you can either rewind or not rewind, depending on whether or not CTRL is also pressed, and they offer the complete opposite as a choice, by removing the check.  In that case, the same 2 behaviors are available, its just backwards from when the option is checked, but both rewind and not to rewind are still available.

I am still waking up - sorry for any confusion.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
Re: Play/stop Now Time behavior has gone pre-SONAR 4.0 2014/10/22 07:31:18 (permalink)
Hey Bob, thanks for your full and comprehensive response!

Didn't think to see under Track View-Options, since as I understand SONAR, those are project specific settings and my problem was global! But checking "On stop, rewind to Now Time marker" set it right globally!

You know, I like to think of myself as a power user but then something like this happens and then I'm not so sure...

Sven

FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: Play/stop Now Time behavior has gone pre-SONAR 4.0 2014/10/22 10:14:10 (permalink)
Bob,
Thanks for your help once again.
Clint

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
robert_e_bone
Re: Play/stop Now Time behavior has gone pre-SONAR 4.0 2014/10/22 10:15:26 (permalink)
You know - all we can do is learn what we can.  I am a keyboard player that has been awash in some fantastic recording software in Sonar, and there is a LIFETIME of things for me to learn about using it.

There are some areas of it that I am productive in, and get, and other areas that I have not done much of anything with, and that's just the way it is.  There is a lot to soak in.  I find myself taking things that I learn, either from doing, or from reading about in articles or other threads, and even taking notes while watching videos, and I create a whole bunch of little text file How To files, with all of the tips - and I place them into a folder on my desktop, arranged by topic (mixing tips, tracking tips, gain staging tips, plugin tips, etc).  

One of the things I REALLY have a tremendous amount of respect for with Cakewalk, was their very deliberate choice to invest a SIGNIFICANT level of resources into a complete UI redesign, that began with X1, and obviously continues with X3e.  That redesign made it far easier for far more folks to do far more with Sonar, than had been able to be done prior - even with the 8.5.3 release, which was also a fantastic release.

The only thing with 8.5.3 was that, while you could quickly shoot a bunch of key combinations off to do things incredibly quickly, there was a STEEP learning curve - almost like dark arts or something, to be able to do that.  Then, X1 began the new look and feel, and it has continued to evolve.

The fact that there are really just a bunch of 'how do I do this or that' threads, instead of 'this or that is broken' threads, is a nice place to be.

I am looking forward, with great anticipation, to whatever the next release brings to the table.

I am very happy you got our issues in this thread resolved, and hope you have a creative and productive day.

Bob Bone

johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re: Play/stop Now Time behavior has gone pre-SONAR 4.0 2014/10/22 10:42:20 (permalink)
CTRL -W  toggles this. Use it a lot. Like Bob it depends on what your doing, For punch ins you need to return to where you started.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Play/stop Now Time behavior has gone pre-SONAR 4.0 2014/10/22 10:54:42 (permalink)
johnnyV
CTRL -W  toggles this

+1

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1