General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces

Author
skitch_84
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 480
2014/10/23 02:58:51 (permalink)

General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces

I've been writing music on my computer for quite a long time now, but I've only ever worked with MIDI/samples/virtual instruments. I live in an apartment that has a strict no instruments rule so I don't see myself upgrading my system to allow for recording live instruments via microphone or direct input any time soon.

My question is this: if I'm only using my external audio interface as a kind of soundcard to replace the stock one that's in my laptop, does it really make any difference which one I use? I have a PreSonus AUDIOBOX USB. It's nothing fancy, but I've never had any problems with it and I've always been able to get the sound that I want (so far as I am capable of with my mixing/mastering abilities).

Working the way I do, without ever recording live instruments, is there any good reason to upgrade to a more expensive, higher end audio interface? Would there be any benefit to the potential overall quality of my tracks if I had a higher end interface? 

Thanks for your help!
post edited by skitch_84 - 2014/10/23 04:15:21

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49

10 Replies Related Threads

Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces 2014/10/23 04:15:41 (permalink)
    Quality wise? No. Thing is, even cheap audio interfaces are exceeding human hearing these days, and generally exceeding other components. Your speakers/room/headphones are going to be a much bigger issue than any soundcard. The only reason to want a better soundcard would be if it offered you something technically useful, like lower latency or additional features you don't have.

However the one thing to check on if you are using headphones, as I imagine you are living in an apartment is Japan, is to make sure the card has a headphone amp suitable to your phones. If not, getting a headphone amp could be worthwhile. Most pro audio card have pretty decent amps for high impedance phones, but not so good for low impedance. So if your headphones are under, say, 150 ohms, you might want to look in to an amp.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces 2014/10/23 10:54:57 (permalink)
    If you are happy with the end result, no need to change.  A lot of the better quality of the sound would be lost if you can't listen at loud, reasonable levels.  And as Sycraft says, a better headphone amp for your headphones if more important than raw conversion power if you are using headphones.  Some interfaces will have better latency, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you, either.

Unless you just want to spend money, the answer is no.  If you do have money to burn, the Tascam uh-7000 is great w/o breaking the bank.  Superior conversion and preamps, good headphone amp, usable latency.  For the money, it is one of the best interface deals around.  I could hear the difference between it and my TC Konnekt 48, which is on par w/ RME hardware, which is very good.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re: General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces 2014/10/23 11:14:18 (permalink)
    Remember that exclusively using Virtual Instruments, the quality of the conversion/interface has NO IMPACT AT ALL on the sound on your printed files! The DA converter is not used when exporting to a stereo file, it all happens in your CPU.

The sound quality of your interface will only ever affect your monitoring, so having sublime DA can (in theory) compel you to make better mixing decisions.

Sven

MachineClaw
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1116
    Re: General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces 2014/10/23 14:01:14 (permalink)
    I had an entry level interface that was USB and as my needs grew (more tracks in DAW, recording good vocals etc) I found the interface didn't hold up.

major problem I found was latency and DSP recording on vocals.  Also as I threw more USB devices onto the system the interface wasn't doing as well.

a better interface can help in regard to those things.

I went to a higher end Firewire interface that is the only Firewire device on my system.  The new interface had better preamps for when I recorded vocals.

if your interface is working for you there is not need for a more expensive interface.  if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If your running into issue with your current one then address those needs and you may want a newer better interface.
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces 2014/10/23 15:37:39 (permalink)
    First I'll agree that the Tascam uh 7000 is a great interface but it is the opposite of his needs, He just said - doesn't input audio- so why spend money on great pre amps ??  
    As a few have said your choice would be to go for better drivers so you can run more VST instruments. But I think Presonus is up there among the better USB interfaces when it comes to drivers. 
    http://forum.dawbench.com...mance-Data-Base/page13

With the same computer system, changing from a Tascam us1641 to a Focusrite 6i6 made a huge improvement for me.  And only because Focusrite has way better drivers than Tascam. Now this might change with Tascam as they just announced they will be working in house on the drivers so stay tuned. 
    Latency and DAW performance is all about good drivers. I would guess your fine where you are. 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

skitch_84
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 480
    Re: General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces 2014/10/23 19:29:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input, everyone. You definitely answered my question. Until/Unless I plan on recording audio, I think I'll invest my money in a better set of headphones and/or headphone amps if necessary. As I mentioned above, and as Sycraft guessed, since I'm living in an apartment in Japan I have no choice but to mix through headphones. I do have a pair of monitor speakers that I can use to test at low levels during the daytime, but I'm stuck with mixing through headphones 99% of the time. I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 which have been awesome, especially considering how inexpensive they were. But I'd like to upgrade to a pair of nice (maybe $500 range or so) open back monitor headphones in the near future. Maybe a Christmas present for myself :)

Thanks again for all the advice and information!
    post edited by skitch_84 - 2014/10/24 01:15:46

Chris Porter
    www.cportermusic.com
    Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
    Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
    Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces 2014/10/24 01:08:38 (permalink)
    The quality of the Tascam DA is also above par.  Don't discount that!  But the bestest part, the preamps, are wasted w/ no acoustic input.  But the package is cheap enough.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces 2014/10/28 14:09:52 (permalink)
    skitch_84
    Thanks for all the input, everyone. You definitely answered my question. Until/Unless I plan on recording audio, I think I'll invest my money in a better set of headphones and/or headphone amps if necessary. As I mentioned above, and as Sycraft guessed, since I'm living in an apartment in Japan I have no choice but to mix through headphones. I do have a pair of monitor speakers that I can use to test at low levels during the daytime, but I'm stuck with mixing through headphones 99% of the time. I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 which have been awesome, especially considering how inexpensive they were. But I'd like to upgrade to a pair of nice (maybe $500 range or so) open back monitor headphones in the near future. Maybe a Christmas present for myself :)

skitch_84

The Focusrite VRM box is a pretty cool unit if you have to mix with headphones. It works well with ATH-M50's but I prefer my BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro cans.

Rocky
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces 2014/10/28 14:15:52 (permalink)

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: General Question Regarding Audio Interfaces 2014/10/29 10:51:09 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    CONSIDER ULTRASONES.

http://www.ultrasone-headphones.com/en/

+1
    I have the Pro 750's and do use it for tracking/mixing (especially at night).........very happy with the precise clarity of these phones.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1