Editing Peaks

Author
sven450
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
2014/10/21 14:10:16 (permalink)

Editing Peaks

I know that when "mastering" our own material, it is helpful to hand edit some of the peskier peaks in order to get a higher overall level when limiting.  My question is HOW do you do it?  Do you do it in Sonar, and if so, what is the process for finding those peaks, and then lowering them?

Also, if not in Sonar, do you guys do this in Soundforge or Wavelab or something?  Thanks.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals

16 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/21 14:22:38 (permalink)
    Hi Sven,

I wish I could do this in Sonar, but it's a little more difficult. Programs like Adobe, iZotope RX and Wavelab do a nice job controlling this.

I like to manually edit peaks as my second line of defense in my pre-master. However, the important thing is to eliminate them before they get on the track you are going to master. Finding where they are at the source is super important, this way you can eliminate them there. That's where you should start at all times.

For example, in most mixes, your peaks will just about always come from snare drums, cymbal hits, vocal plosives, guitar sounds with high gain that may not be high passed enough and lack of proper compression.

Now that last one, lack of proper compression doesn't mean compress to remove peaks. Your best bet is to not allow a peak to be recorded if you can help it. Sometimes we can't. In the event that is the case, automate the peak first THEN add the right amount of compression and you should be ok.

There may be times you may feel a limiter is the way to go. As long as you don't hear any artifacts, use it. The biggest offender for me in peaks is always the snare. I love a snare that cracks so hard it sounds like a shotgun blast minus the decay. When you have a snappy snare like that, peaks will definitely enter the picture. A limiter can totally destroy your "crack" element and make it too consistent and watered down. It will control the peak but it will take away from the impact the snare has.

So anyway....try eliminating the peaks before you record them (the best recordings are the ones that have the best recording prints right out of the gate) and if you wind up gaining some, try to control them individually from the tracks in your mix BEFORE you attempt to control them from the mastering stage.

This way, if you still have a few left when you go to master, it won't take you an hours worth of hand editing to control them all manually. Good luck, hope this helps. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/21 14:40:51 (permalink)
    I use an external editing program. (Cool Edit Pro-Adobe Audition) I still feel they do certain operations faster than most DAW programs. I use the hard limit function which leaves the bottom part of the waveform intact. It lowers the peak to any value you determine. It is very good for bringing anything slightly out of context loud back to match other peaks well. 

In fact I open up every track from a multitrack session in the editor before a mix. Lots of stuff can be sorted out early. In mastering you can raise the rms of the track by limiting peaks and adding gain. A lot of mixes can handle peaks being limited to say -4 and then have 3 db of gain added. You have just made the mix 3 dB louder without changing the transients much. If at all to be concerned. It tidies things up before it goes into the mastering session. (The louder or healthier things are prior to mastering, the less each mastering stage needs to raise the rms level and hence sound better)

It does not distort the tops of the waveform either. It looks flat on the waveform but up close it can still be rounded. You can redraw the shape of the top part of the waveform in Cool Edit. It is nice to tame some wild transients in premastered mix. A mix can benefit from having peaks leveled out in my opinion. It can sound better for it. But not too much is the key.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/21 15:55:31 (permalink)
    be careful that you do not edit all of the life out of a performance.

recording with high headroom, and allowing those peaks to exist.....
    is really where the excitement lives.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

sven450
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/21 17:20:04 (permalink)
    Good stuff here, with lots to go on. Last question:  Are there commands in those external editors to find the offending peaks, or is it just eyeballing tracks?  And again, when you say "hand edit" peaks, are you simply using a volume envelope?  I understand Jeff's method is an automated thing (hard limiting), but for hand fixing them, what is the actual process?  Thanks again.

Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Originals:
    sven450
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/22 07:36:05 (permalink)
    had some fun with an audio editor, and damn if that technique doesn't work great.  Really opened things up on a couple songs that were suffering from some unruly snare hits.  Of all the various things I tried, I found that editing those peaks to bring everything a bit more inline, then normalizing, then limiting a tad bring it up to an acceptable volume really sounded best.  I tried without normalizing, and the limiter had to do too much and it sounded worse. 

Is normalizing a thing I should avoid?  I know it is a touchy subject.  I've read plenty of heated debates, but today it really seemed to best to get me where I wanted to go....

Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Originals:
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/22 09:34:36 (permalink)
    I don't ever edit peaks on the master. It's tricky, time-consuming and doesn't always come out as a transparent edit.

If you're allowing a decent crest factor to begin with, those stray peaks can always be tracked back to a percussive hit. Automate it out in the track, not on a bus, and nobody'll notice the edit. If it's a soft synth, you can often go into the PRV and lower the velocity of the note, which is even more invisible. IOW, find the source and treat it as far back in the chain as you can.

But if maximum loudness is your goal, using two compressors in front of the master bus limiter will do the trick. Try the TDR Feedback Compressor, which has two thresholds built in, one for peaks and the other for RMS. The idea is to get the loudness up before hitting the limiter, so that you're not depending entirely on the limiter to do it all.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/22 10:34:15 (permalink)
    Yea, you can go in and edit out peaks in the mix before mastering.  You can step back to the mix (as bit sez) to edit peaks there.  As far as I know, you have to manually do it.  It isn't hard (but it is time consuming if you have a lot of peaks).  If you export the mix and plug it back into the open project synced, it is usually easy to figure out which track has the offending peak.  If you have a fairly level output on a track or buss or mix, you can even normalize to get the rms up.

As others have said, the earlier you tame the peaks the easier the job is overall.  When recording is optimum, while editing the master is a last resort.  Automation and Track and buss compression are the 2nd steps.  And using little adjustments along the way means you don't have to go extreme w/ any one step to raise your rms.  That way leads to Bats warning - you can get a flat, harsh product with none of the depth and dynamics you started with.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    sven450
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/23 07:41:13 (permalink)
    Thanks all, and Bit:  man, that compressor you mentioned, the TDR Feedback compressor is super cool!  I messed with it for a while on several different sources and it is really nice.  I can't believe it is free.  It is downright invisible.  It this age of emulations and fake tape hiss modeled vintage blah blah it was quite refreshing. 

Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Originals:
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/23 08:27:02 (permalink)
    On my drum tracks I use a combination of compression and limiting on every track.  When I send my tracks out I don't want the drums to be an issue for the person mixing or pre-mastering.

And again, when you say "hand edit" peaks, are you simply using a volume envelope?

The way I understand it, yes.  Drawing a volume envelope around a peak or two (i.e., hand editing) can be useful but certainly not practical for an entire track (especially if you are talking about a drum track) ... I guess that would be the equivalent of riding the faders.  I do find this useful for getting an occasional single cymbal cash or two that I was a bit zealous on to sit in the drum mix better.

If you have a fairly level output on a track or buss or mix, you can even normalize to get the rms up.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but normalizing (I thought) raises everything equally bringing the peak up to some pre-defined value.  Raising the RMS is accomplished through compression and limiting and not normalizing. 

EDIT - ... not sure if that statement actually reflects what I am trying to convey (I really do know how rms is calculated) ... I am thinking more in terms of how rms is affected by normalizing (keeping the ratio of loud to soft peaks the same) vs compressing (changing the ratio of loud to soft peaks).
    post edited by quantumeffect - 2014/10/23 11:10:45

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/23 11:03:26 (permalink)
    You can use Sound Forge to "draw" a waveform and bring it down from 0dB rather than an envelope.  It is a destructive process, however once you've saved the file.  And you can introduce clicks etc., but it is a good tool.

Normalization brings up the volume of the entire track, so that the loudest peak only reaches a predetermined volume - say -3 dB.  If the loudest peak is -4 dB, Normalization brings the entire track(s) up + 1 dB.  It doesn't effect relative volume or RMS or anything but vol, and simply provides gain (and can leave you headroom for limiters etc.).

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/23 13:16:42 (permalink)
    assuming you are talking about 'PEAK NORMALIZATION,
    most ME's do not use normalization.

THE PROBLEM WITH NORMALIZATION....
    is that it brings up the quiet sections too..
    and the background noise, if your recording environ has ambient noise coming into the mics.....

which, once actually mastered with typical compression and limiting, eq, etc, can throw the intended mix off.

you want to look for perceived loudness,  not electronic loudness.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/23 13:18:26 (permalink)
    Maybe I am missing something, but aren't we just talking about compression here as the most common way to control transients?  Sure you can manually edit peaks and I tend to do that rather than use an automated process but that is only because I work in classical.  By "taming peaks" it is more typical to use a careful dose of a compressor.  Manual editing is a creature of the digital age and I say bravo if you want to attempt it. But there is not shame in using a compressor if you are smart about it. 

Hard limiting is a headsman's axe.  It should be the last process, and the last resort to control dynamics.  It is best to think of it as a stray peak fail-safe measure.  A standard compressor at a lower ratio will maintain dynamics much better, and may be adequate in many cases.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/23 13:29:55 (permalink)
    assuming you are talking about 'PEAK NORMALIZATION,
    most ME's do not use normalization.

THE PROBLEM WITH NORMALIZATION....
    is that it brings up the quiet sections too..
    and the background noise, if your recording environ has ambient noise coming into the mics.....

Well any gain method is going to bring up quiet sections.  Normalization does nothing to control peaks of course, it just makes everything louder.  The process of modern normalization in a DAW is nothing different than using a fader to bring up the levels or a limiter to bring the highest peak to 0dbfs.  Normalization got a bad rap because of its history as a destructive process.  Also the possibility of clipping the input of plugins and busses in the DAW increases significantly since the headroom is now 0.  It only has real use if you need to bring up the levels of an archival 24bit recording to the highest point before exporting to a lower bit rate.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/23 15:53:29 (permalink)
    What I like about editing tracks (and mixes) inside a good editing program is it is so easy to highlight or select very specific areas.

Hard limiting is of course only one process you can apply. If your editor allows you to use most of your VST's then any number of great limiters such as PSP Xenon could be used or a nice compressor instead. The use of a compressor will require you to think about how it would need to be set for a desired result. Such the threshold, then knowing the ratio, how far up you want that peak to go from the threshold. Compressors can change the sound of an attack transient so you need to be careful in how you use them too. (Not too fast)

There are softer options to hard limiting. With some options you may have to think how far up a transient might extent. With limiting you tend to think of how far down from 0 dB FS you are going to limit instead. They all have equal intentions and can all sound good too.

If you leave most of a track or mix alone and only edit a few peaks here and there, those edits can be made invisible with care, you will never hear them no matter what you process you use. For snares and kicks then leveling out variations can be a great thing too.  I use a VU to check those and match waveform heights by eye as well.  (Adjustable clip gain)  It seems to work for me that way.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    sven450
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/23 18:16:28 (permalink)
    My whole point in bring this thread up was to find some options or ideas to limit (pardon the pun) the amount of compression I'm using.  I am starting to realize that my drums in particular are not as open sounding as I want them, and as much as I love compression as an effect at times, I fear I'm over using it.  I do understand recording correctly the first time is optimal, but I've been looking back at some older recordings and attempting to enliven them a bit by remixing without slathering compression on then dumping a limiter on at the end (a tried and true method for sure). The hand editing, although horribly boring and potentially time consuming, really does yield results.  I think I just need to learn to record my source material better to avoid big peaks in the first place!

Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Originals:
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Editing Peaks 2014/10/24 08:31:06 (permalink)
    Are you talking real drums or sampled sounds. It is easier to get a more open sound with real drums. I have just finished recording my Sonor kit and had all the drums very open and in the end I preferred the more distant sound of the drums too.

As a player it is quite hard to strike everything so evenly as to get really consistent levels on everything. All hits. But the more practice and playing you do the better that gets. I believe drums sound pretty nice when you don't hit them so hard. They have a fuller sound at that level too. They can get thin when you hit them too hard. With drums it only takes a slightly harder hit too and the level can go seriously up. (rimshots) I edit my own playing in a few spots. Not so much in relation to the grid but evenness in hit levels on snares and kicks in particular.  Pop music needs the snares and kicks to be very constant. Other styles allow for more variation such as Jazz. But more often evenness in levels is important. Drummers should record themselves more and not only look at grid timing but amplitudes of things. It can be a bit of an eye opener. I changed the settings of my kick pedal the other day and it records almost very different now.

So if you are down at a medium level of playing then you have a wider range, some hits to get soft and others too loud. It is much better to play even right at the drums. Then after only some very light compression on the drum buss will still keep it sounding open and fuller.

More precise editing on the tracks themselves relieves a few processes that would normally be required. You can skip things then. Dynamics control can be light and very transparent but still doing its thing. Big drum sound results.

The editor software rules.  The closest thing to a very smooth and even live performance is detailed editing to an existing performance that maybe not so even. It is often only random hits too. It can improve it bigtime. You just have to use your ears and a VU meter and listen over edits to ensure they are transparent.  More work in the pre mix track edit, less work in the mixing.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2014/10/24 15:22:36

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1