AnsweredMic project.

Author
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
2014/10/22 08:29:10 (permalink)

Mic project.

I still like tinkering with a blow torch and solder every now and then so I got think about what I could burn my fingers on next..

I remembered a fred from the long distant past about building mics (was it Mike?) so I went off looking to see what I could find on the internets and came up with this.

I'd love to try one out,  but I'm not shure on the capsule choice.
RK-47 (General purpose) or RK-87 (Neumann K87 copy) ?

I'm leaning toward the RK-87 because it is a true dual-back design so I can wire it for figure 8.  (I currently don't have a figure8 capable mic in my collection).

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom to share?  McCue?

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/22 11:06:00 (permalink)

Shouldn't this have been posted in the Hardware forum?

Considering the recent spate of threads moved for being posted in the wrong forum by this particular host , am I the only person sensing not just the irony of this situation, but also the "Do as I say, not as I do" connotations this action implies?

Seriously, am I missing something here?

Please don't misconstrue my motives here - I'm absolutely cool with just about anything COC-friendly being posted in the Coffee House. But I have seen a few complaints made elsewhere when threads have been moved, and most of them seem to involve this host somewhere along the line.

For someone so ostentatiously efficient, and overtly keen on being hands on and pro-active in this respect, I would have expected the thread starter to have at least followed their own guidelines.

Contrary to opinions voiced elsewhere, I'd like to stress that this is nothing personal. I just need to know we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/22 11:40:59 (permalink)
I personally am not really too concerned where something is or is not, probably should be more so. I posted wrong in a wrong place the other day and Beags was swift to move it. 

I see your point. I guess if I hadn't read this comment I doubt I would have given it a second thought. I think musicians like casual, laid back and flowing. Not too many compartments, too many rules, and too many people controlling all of it. It's not comfortable for creatives to try and live in a place where every time you come in you get hit by some kind of a new rule or are afraid of breaking one.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/22 11:52:44 (permalink)
Good point well made Steve, this could have gone in the Hardware forum but as the CH is intended for general discussion about anything we like as long as it's "music related" (in the broadest possible meaning of the term**) then I think it is a very good topic for folk to chew on and maybe offer some opinion.

I guess I could have posted the thread in the Sonar forum on the basis that I'd be using the mic (if I build one) with Sonar...  but that would be pushing it a bit.

** Personally I would deem just about any conversation between people in the Coffee House as being music related in this context on the basis that they're all musicians.

Mekashi Futo
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/22 12:18:08 (permalink)
I think that's the difference between the 47 and 87 Karyn. One has the ability to do fig 8 and the other doesn't. If you want more detailed info I just got an amazing book about EMI and the equipment they used to record the Beatles. The U47 and U87 are both covered in detail.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/22 13:12:32 (permalink)
The rk47 is listed as a sort of general purpose capsule with a lower HF peak to emulate a U67/U87 sound but with a single back plate so it can't do fig 8, whereas the rk87 capsule is designed as a copy of the K87 used in the U87 and the HF is tamed by different filter caps in the amp circuit, like the U87.

I think I'll go with the rk87 version so I can get fig 8.

Mekashi Futo

Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/22 16:22:14 (permalink)
I wood go with the 87 capsule also

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/22 17:16:15 (permalink)
Consensus! Hurray!

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/22 17:29:38 (permalink)
Well, I've been talking to Matt at microphone parts and the FET circuit they use doesn't support fig 8, but I've ordered one anyway, with the RK-87 capsule.

If anyone's interested I'll create a build thread, maybe in the software forum.

Mekashi Futo

Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/23 05:26:36 (permalink)
I for one certainly would be interested in your project and how it proceeds. 

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/23 07:54:57 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby bapu 2014/10/23 09:32:23
Karyn

** Personally I would deem just about any conversation between people in the Coffee House as being music related in this context on the basis that they're all musicians.

... not sure if you realize this but there are drummers that post in the Coffee House too?!?!

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/23 08:22:21 (permalink)
Wait. What? I feel a sudden urge to hit something.

BRB
Ham N Egz
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/23 09:00:12 (permalink)
Karyn
Well, I've been talking to Matt at microphone parts and the FET circuit they use doesn't support fig 8, but I've ordered one anyway, with the RK-87 capsule.

that was funny

I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/23 09:41:44 (permalink)
Karyn

I'll move it to Songs then.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/23 09:45:40 (permalink)
So........ where do I post about my latest pictures of my origami projects?

Hardware? Software? Techniques? 
Ham N Egz
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/23 15:58:34 (permalink)
bapu

simples

its PAPER = SOFTware

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/23 17:07:16 (permalink)

Karyn

bapu

Karyn

I'll move it to Songs then.

bapu

Sorry, but as I mentioned HERE, I don't find the perceived abuse of hosts' privileges remotely funny.

Are we not allowed to even talk about this like adults in the forum anymore?

Or is the only option available to us to approach Ryan or Willy? As is apparent, that method would just be a manifest waste of everyone's time. Like I said before, there's only going to be one winner in that situation.

If, however, it is permissible to actually discuss these matters in public, is "trying to laugh it off" the only method of response you are sanctioned to employ?

If you think the optimum method of answering the legitimate concerns I expressed in post #2 is to try and belittle me with flippant comments about your powers to move threads, then I find that attitude just a little irresponsible. It's also rather sad, in my honest opinion.

I believe my comments were worthy of perhaps a little more gravity than they've received. I think I have every right to suggest that this thread appears to exemplify the double standards now applicable to hosts and ordinary forum members.

Karyn

Just because it's in the Coffee House is irrelevant. You've made quite a few judgement calls recently when it comes to moving threads. Why should your own posts be any difference?

As I said, I couldn't give a flying fig what gets posted where. But when we have a case of someone having 'resigned' from the forum allegedly because of the continual moving of their threads by the perceived over-zealous actions of one of the hosts, I might have thought that my perfectly relevant comments and concerns above were worthy of something a little more grown-up, and certainly a little less sarcastic.

It's sad to say that as far as some of the hosts are concerned, I simply don't know you anymore. And as for all the party-line gibberish about 'nothing changing' and 'we're still the same people', well, it's plain to see that some of you are not.

I voiced a perfectly valid concern in the THREAD I referred to above, in that I knew my actions were deemed worthy of discussion in your private forum. What I neglected to mention were my specific reasons for that concern.

If I'd transgressed the forum Code of Conduct, I wouldn't have had the slightest problem with all of you chatting about it in private, and subsequently deciding on any appropriate action. What annoyed me was that, in my opinion, a forum host was abusing their privileged position to further a personal grudge against me.

To my mind anyway, that's not fair, and certainly not what I'd been led to believe was in the remit of the hosts.

I notice that the matter of forums appearing on the menu page that should remain invisible to 'normal' paying customers was mentioned in John's recent thread.

Karyn

The forum software has a bug.  Every now and then, for no apparent reason,  forums that should be hidden become visible.  You can't access those forums, even though you can see they exist.

There are many forums here, not just the public ones you normally see.  The Bakers have their own sections as well for their own uses.  They are also hidden from us as you'd expect.

The forum software devs  (3rd party) have been told about this many times and have not fixed it.

You wouldn't expect the Bakers to release new software without beta testing it first would you?

That's all well and good. But, however, it's certainly not strictly accurate.

On certain occasions, it has most definitely been possible to access the 'hidden' forums. I know this to be true because it's happened to me, and others have contacted me to let me know it's happened to them too.

On one occasion, I immediately reported the matter to a Cakewalk Administrator. I believed that was the correct course of action because the contents of that particular hidden forum would have been compromised, as would the 'normal' members who frequented it. If I remember correctly, I promised that I would never divulge anything I saw there, or the names of any of its contributors. And that's exactly how it's stayed.

This is how I 'knew' I'd been discussed, and why. Yet Karyn and Ryan both denied it in public.

I can accept it from Ryan. It's forum policy to keep things running smoothly, and if a little white lie helps to accomplish this, that's perfectly understandable.

But I'm afraid I just can't accept that from Karyn. We've laughed and joked together in here for years, we've even exchanged the odd PM now and again. As far as I'm concerned, that means nothing to me now.

All I asked for was at least an acknowledgement that such a discussion had occurred, and maybe even the opportunity to defend myself. A simple "Yes Steve, you've been a bit of a twit and we thought it appropriate to discuss the matter" would have amply sufficed.

As it doesn't really bother me too much if I've been made to look like I'm making this stuff up, or simply clutching at straws if you like, I was happy enough to let it slide in the cause of 'community cohesion' and all that. After all, I doubt anybody really cares what I think anyway.

So I ask you Karyn, if I actually have to prove that I was correct all along, would you consider your position as forum host. Would it get me banned?

Either way, I'm getting to the stage where I just couldn't care.

And when all's said and done, I reckon that's pretty sad.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: Mic project. 2014/10/23 17:43:10 (permalink)
If I were a host, I'd split this thread and move these off topic posts to "Forum Discussion" where they belong.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1