Helpful Reply[Solved] X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade

Author
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
2014/10/25 16:22:50 (permalink)

[Solved] X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade

Hi, apologies to all if this has already been covered. I searched but found nothing.

For years I created X1d Producer projects, 40-50 tracks, with my RME Fireface 400 card. Mixing latencies set at 1024.

I just recently upgraded to X3e - and whenever I open up an old X1 project, it loads, but won't play. No spacebar, no clicking "play" on the transport, nuttin'.

So, I go back to X1, open them, and they play just fine.

I noticed - that when you open them in X3, all the plug-ins load but there are no open plug-in windows, except for in my case AD2. There are many plugins on the project (Equilibrium, Glue, Microshift, S-Gear 2, and a few more) and they show as loaded and "on" in the Inspector. But in X1, they always opened up their little plug-in windows in an annoying stack which I had to click through to minimize them all. Which was, annoying.

When I open up the project in X3e, all the plug-ins show as loaded and on in the inspector, but there are no plug-in windows open.

So, as a test, in X3, I clicked on all the plug-ins in the inspector, and they opened up their little plug-in windows just fine. But the project still won't play at all - no spacebar, no transport.

I should say, if I start a NEW project in X3e, everything works just great. No problems with starts! It just won't "play" an older X1project.

thanks for any help, I feel this must have come up before. I want to love x3!

cheers,
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/25 16:28:40 (permalink)
I have just spent two weeks converting a project from 8.5.3

Two issues:
All tracks had to be cloned to work correctly with colors and with icons.
Most buses had to be cloned to provide output.
Spent way too much time figgering this, and then doing it.
And last night I had to clone some midi tracks again to get to work with dropzone.

I am way sad about opening other projects.

emeraldsoul
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/25 16:59:29 (permalink)
Thanks for the ideas - for my X1 to X3 experience, the buses exist and are created from X1 to X3.
I'm still wondering about the lack of opened plug-in windows upon opening a project in X3 that was started in X1.

I can start a project brand new in X3, pop in a few dozen plug-ins, close the project, re-open it, and it gives me stacks of open plug-in windows.

When I open any X1 project in X3, there are no open plug-in windows at all. Except for AD2 and BFD Eco DV, a jbridged cymbal vsti. Those windows open up "opened"

Do I have to close and remove my existing plugins from my X1 mix, and reopen them and remix them in X3? Is there a problem with "plug-in states" when you do this upgrade?

Hope not!!!

thanks, great forum!
-Tom

A work in regress:

emeraldsoul
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/25 17:05:42 (permalink)
And yes, I had read this:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013315/SONAR-X3-Full-VST-Rescan-Recommended-for-Upgraders

but, reading it again, it seems that a VST Reset will remove any plug-in settings that I had in my X1 mixes, and I'll get the fun bonus of having to remix all the plugins from scratch, just so I can get them going in X3.

Is this correct?

thanks,
-Tom

A work in regress:

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/25 17:12:33 (permalink)
The VST reset does not affect settings in projects. The reset clears out the VST Inventory in the registry. The VST Inventory in the registry is the list of available plug-ins. The list contains information about the plug-ins such as if the plug-in is a synth, can generate MIDI, number of inputs and outputs.
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/25 17:50:22 (permalink)
No problems with new projects.

Old projects may require duplicating tracks and buses.

When testing old projects in X2 and X3 trial I did need to replace DP and SD to get midi in and sound out.
But resetting the VST scan did not fix it.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/25 20:49:37 (permalink)
This is strange, I have projects going back to Pro Audio each and every one can be opened in X3 and will play back fine. I have many projects from X1 and X2 as well with the same results. The need to clone tracks has never come up before on this forum.  

People have noted on rare occasions issues with a particular project that could have been corrupted but not as a regular situation. Something else is causing this problem.  

Best
John
emeraldsoul
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 13:04:03 (permalink)
thanks, John. My problem is X1 to X3 upgrade, and I have no issue with recreating buses or tracks. Every bit of the X1 (Producer Expanded) project is present when I open it in X3e.

It just won't play, or record, either from clicking the transport buttons, or the spacebar.

I did the recommended "rescan" and "reset" of my plugins.

My next test will be this: I will go to the original X1 project, make a copy, remove all the plugins, save it, bring it into X3, and see what happens.

Unless there is something blindingly obvious that I'm missing? I know a lot of people have upgraded to X3 recently. Any similar issues? Any info would be of tremendous help, thank you!

cheers,
-Tom

A work in regress:

emeraldsoul
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 13:15:13 (permalink)
OK, I did the "remove plugs in X1 experiment / save / open it up in X3"  and . . . it . . . plays . . .back.!

That's the good news. Now I must hunt out if it's one particular plug-in that's the culprit. Or, as it is a large-ish project (50 tracks) perhaps the amount of plugins X1 was handling exceeds my cpu capacity when run in X3?

Why spend time making music, when you can be Sherlock Holmes?  :)

thanks for any ideas . . .
-Tom

A work in regress:

emeraldsoul
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 14:10:05 (permalink)
Star date 10.26.14. I am alone on the bridge. I document these results only for the future benefit of humanity.

Well, I open up an X1 project in my new X3. My mix in x1 had 50+ tracks, 10+ instances of Equilibrium, a few Glues, some Soundtoys Microshifts, a couple of PSP VintageWarmers, some Breezes, S-Gear2, and a few Toneboosters Barricade plus a VBC.

It ran fine in X1. It won't play in X3 and I notice the "Audio Engine" symbol is greyed out. There is nothing happening in the "core meter" window - totally blank.

So I systematically begin peeling off the plugins. After removing most of them, and noticing it doesn't matter particularly which ones, I get to a "tipping point" where the project will run. Needless to say, with the plugins 80% removed, my original X1 mix is a goner.

So, the conclusion is - X3 will run fewer plugins than X1, because X3 must place more demands on the CPU than X1 did. Right?

Wrong . . . I can create a new project in X3, load it to the gills with the same plugins, and it works fine.

The sample rates I have been experimenting with are both 44.1 and 88.2, and the same issue exists.

Boiling it down, the question is, why do I have to remove 80% of the plugins used in an X1 mix, just so the audio engine will come back to life and run it in X3?

Have I entered a VST2 / VST3  upgrade wormhole?

I have no clue at this point. Maybe a fellow upgrader has some ideas . . .

thanks,
-Tom

A work in regress:

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 14:28:28 (permalink)
Honestly hard to figure out without being able to replicate. I find the time it takes to sort this stuff, for me, could be better spent just finishing the project in the version it was started in. Finding the needle in the haystack just doesn't offer enough reward for me to justify the journey. It's hard enough for developers to ensure smooth transitions with their own components. Trying to ensure every variable covering every third party plug-in is foolproof in transition is wishful thinking at best. If I find myself with so many unfinished projects from previous versions I question my own efficiency and how important those projects were if they have been sitting around a year or more. When I do decide I want to revisit an old project in a new version. I actually prefer to strip the plugs and start from scratch as far as effects. I like to think I have gotten better since I abandoned the old project.
emeraldsoul
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 15:03:04 (permalink)
Yes, dubdisciple . . . If I remix them all again in X3, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever, because I think my mixing skills have improved.

However, I shouldn't have to,should I? I have 10 or so projects built in X1, and the ONLY reason I upgraded to X3 was to gain the sidechain functionality that VST3 plugins can provide.

I waited (obviously) for a few years to upgrade - under the assumption that my old X1 projects would work fine. I was given no reason to feel otherwise. "Just Upgrade!" they said. Others have upgraded - their old projects (apparently) run fine . . . why not mine?

Anyway, I feel there must be an answer to my situation, I just don't know what my next step is. If the next step is "Reinstall X3 again" then I think I'd be more likely to just rebuild the X1 mixes in X3.

I bet someone out there knows something . . .. ?

thanks again,
-Tom

A work in regress:

dubdisciple
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 15:14:14 (permalink)
Tom, hope you know I was not dismissing or belittling your concern. I made sure to specify that what I said applied to me and how I approach old projects. The fact that your problem seems isolated makes it hard to quickly answer your questions. Ideally someone with the exact same plugins could open your projct and see if same results applied. If it was me and burning curiosity was getting the best of me, I woukd systemattically save copies of project changing each to remove one plug at a time, hoping to isolate or at least narrow variables down.
scook
Forum Host
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 15:28:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/10/26 16:36:45
Not having most of the plug-ins mentioned I can't comment from experience. If the plug-ins have both VST2 and VST3 formats installed, one thing to try is disabling the VST3 migration settings in Preferences > File > VST Settings. This will prevent old projects from automatically swapping out VST2 plug-ins with their VST3 counterparts. Both formats will be available for future use.
dubdisciple
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 15:32:09 (permalink)
Scook may onto something. Several vst 3 plugs have known issues with Sonar.
emeraldsoul
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 15:59:28 (permalink)
Thanks scook, I will try messing with vst3 preferences . . .

Dubdisciple, you and I think alike! Logically . . . I started doing some saves in X1 with certain plug-ins removed . . . but I think it's not related to any particular plugin . . . rather, it's the total amount of plugins. 

In X1, my project has 50+ tracks and loads of plugins. Can't play them in X3 because the audio engine won't even start/sputter/come to life UNLESS I start deleting the plug-in instances, about 80% of them. It doesn't matter which plug-ins remain, or get deleted. Funny, huh?

I suspect I may have  a VST 2 - VST 3 issue. Keep in mind, I can start a fresh project in X3, load in many tracks, and lots of vst2 AND vst 3 plugins, and the audio engine purrs and all works a treat.

Is there a list of VST3 plugins that don't work well in X3? That would have been nice to see before I upgraded  :)

The plugins in question are Equilibrium, Glue, Soundtoys, S-Gear2, Toneboosters Barricade, and VBC.

thanks, guys, I appreciate the feedback!
-Tom

A work in regress:

scook
Forum Host
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 16:07:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/10/26 16:36:38
Make sure the plug-ins are up to date. IIRC, DMG recently (maybe a month ago) patched their plug-ins fixing some issues with SONAR.
emeraldsoul
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 16:43:58 (permalink)
Scook = Genius.

I have tracked it down to Equilibrium Mono, the VST 2 version. Kills any X3 project. Stereo Equilibrium of both VST2 and VST3 works fine.

I'm off to download the upgraded DMG Equilibrium . . . MANY THANKS to scook, dub, YouDon'tHave, and John. I'll report out my hopefully good results . . . great forum thanks . . . -Tom

A work in regress:

dubdisciple
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 16:46:20 (permalink)
Glad you were able to figure it out.  Sometimes it takes a village.  now if someone could help me figure out JACK on linux. lol
scook
Forum Host
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 16:54:10 (permalink)
Slackware and I go way back. I even got Ubuntu to work reasonably well with my TV card. That was until it was automatically updated beyond working. That was over two years ago, stopped using Linux then. Still mess with MinGW occasionally but since I don't have a professional need for Unix I just don't have the desire to keep a Linux partition around. In short, I don't know jack.
post edited by scook - 2014/10/26 17:02:12
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 17:10:00 (permalink)
emeraldsoul
Scook = Genius.

I have tracked it down to Equilibrium Mono, the VST 2 version. Kills any X3 project. Stereo Equilibrium of both VST2 and VST3 works fine.

I'm off to download the upgraded DMG Equilibrium . . . MANY THANKS to scook, dub, YouDon'tHave, and John. I'll report out my hopefully good results . . . great forum thanks . . . -Tom

Excellent!.  

Best
John
emeraldsoul
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 17:10:47 (permalink)
I knew Jack. Jack was a friend of mine. Emeraldsoul, you are no Jack.

The DMG Equilibrium update solved it. VST3 64bit, works in mono and stereo, I have my X1 mixes back, thanks again!

-Tom

A work in regress:

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/26 23:33:40 (permalink)
Yes I remember working with Dave Gamble to resolve this earlier this year. The issue was that the eq plugins expose multichannel audio outputs that are not presently supported via VST. This was actually causing a crash in SONAR. In X64 windows certain crashes get "swallowed up" by the OS and the net result is what you saw - random behavior lack of audio etc.

DMG worked around the issue on their end in an update and we have also added code to prevent this problem in SONAR.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
emeraldsoul
Re: X1d Producer projects won't play in new X3e upgrade 2014/10/27 10:12:39 (permalink)
Oh, that's excellent, good work on both your ends. Thanks - Sonar's a great DAW, which I married after I got divorced from Cubase VST5.   DMG Equilibrium is the only EQ that I routinely use for boosts without feeling like I'm tainting the audio. Great to have both playing nicely.

A work in regress:

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1