Helpful Replysubscription based sonar may be on the way?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/25 22:40:11 (permalink)
I do have a small bit of insight with adobe but it is small. I meet with developers there regularly but rarely talk to the people behind decisions like subscription model. I do know that Adobe has ALWAYS tried tactics to discourage skipping upgrades. It did not really affect me until they acquired Macromedia (makers of flash, dreamweaver, fireworks) and I went to upgrade. I went from a very modest differnence in upgrade to Adobe only allowing upgrade price for immediate previous version ONLY. Pissed me off royally since they basically told a long time customer the only way to upgrade was to be a new customer again.

This is only my personal opinion but I think when they offered the choice of buying outright or cloud, too many chose the former for their tastes so they eliminated the option. I think Adobe won the short term battle by attrition, but may lose the war as more competitors make truly alternative products. There are better products than afyer affects on the market but are so muchmore expensive. A sub-$1000 Nuke would make AE far less attractive as a forced subscription. In any case, Cakewalk has a less form grip on the average musician's short and curlies than Adobe..
spacey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 00:12:34 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK
spacey
SteveStrummerUK

I'm certain that we would all consider that at a 'certain' price, the subscription model would appear then more appealing than the purchasing model.

If you think Cakewalk offering me a subscription and me saying no means that I've considered it, your right. Anything other than that and you are mistaken.

Reason being; X3e is the first stable version along with the first computer that has managed to process everything I wanted to be able to do.
But nothing lasts forever and since I can't tell the future and see no reason that I shouldn't be good for years with what I have there is no way I know what will be offered and/or what I'd consider.

I'm also not concerned about Cake going in that direction. I'm really more interested in what they can do with the new version/update to make the updating price worth it. They may have shot themselves in the foot making X3 so good.
It is the first time that I thought I might miss an update. I'm not in that group of needing to have a thousand plug-ins or a problem with the way X3 looks so they're going to have to implement something very sweet to even warrant me paying to update X3. 
Never had a DAW before that I didn't want it fooled with.

I appreciate what you're saying Mike, but surely there must be a monthly subscription price you'd eventually give in at? Even if you tried a new version out for a couple of months to see what it offers, as you say, you'd still have your version of X3 to fall back on.

Mind you, I still have my ancient, yet beloved version of Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2 (from around 2002 if memory serves me correctly) running happily on this (Win 7) PC! Even though it's pretty basic by SONAR standards (we're talking just 8 tracks of audio, no bussing and no MIDI compatibility), I reckon I could still knock up a half-decent tune using it

It took many, many years to get to X3 and a computer that had enough power to handle everything I wanted to do and then it finally happened. Cakewalk, Windows7 and the power of the PC finally came together -and all around the same time and for the first time there was amazing performance.
No conflicts with other intense software I enjoy using such as Vegas Pro and Spectrasonics stuff. Never could say that before X3, Win7 and a powerful PC.

No Steve, I won't be dealing with subscriptions from Cake or anybody else.

I imagine there are folks content with Guitar Tracks 2 or 8.5. I'm happy for them. ( I too go back to Guitar Trks 2)

I'm very content with the system I have and as I stated- Cake is going to have to do something really slick to cause me to even upgrade or mess with this DAW and subscribe is not even in the picture...currently there is just not one reason and I can't imagine them giving me one.

I've upgraded since Guitar Tracks 2 because either I couldn't do what I wanted or there was trouble with the software or hardware....always something wrong. Good software and the hardware wouldn't run it...good hardware and the software was crap...always something until now.

But none of that has do with a subscription to software. Some will be fine with it. I'll be fine without it and if that's the only choice given- they'll be fine without me. Everybody will be happy.

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 03:28:41 (permalink)
ah ha …..now I understand why there is all this subscription talk .
a very thoughtful forum member sent me a PM with the link for the survey (which I took ) ...

well  , if they really want to know what people really think ….forget the survey ....just read all the posts the survey brought up  apparently the survey kicked up a lot of strong feelings  …..AYE CARAMBA 

anyway , heres where I stand ….
I absolutely refuse to get all worked up about this topic ….in any way , shape or form ….
all the anger and frustration this topic may bring up is a luxury I simply cannot afford at this point in my life ..
a little over a year ago ,
I went out and bought a mid level consumer Win 8 machine , X3 PE and a 2i4 usb card …
then I had to go out and get a few other things just to round things off...
OK , so now I caught up a little bit ,  it is very possible that I will never see a return on the money I had to spent just to be at my current level of the lower rungs of the technological digital musical revolution ….

Regarding that part , I went in with my eyes open , this was a choice I was willing to make at the time i made it ...

I'm simply not willing to go and do the whole subscription thang , it is not the way I do things ….

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 06:36:55 (permalink)
What is unclear to me is, what happens if I stop paying the subscription fees? Does the program stop working after a while or what? If I can continue with current version normally, then it's not that terrible, unless I, say, lose the  upgrade price option. 
If, however, I'm tied to pay as long as I want to be able to use the projects I've created, then it's next to criminal.
That would make switching to another DAW quite expensive, too, if you must keep paying just because you may need the projects in the future. Also, many of you have several DAWs installed. If they all use subscription-mode, the total cost for the ones you use only occasionally, can get relatively high.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 09:12:30 (permalink)
One of the companies that provides software for my industry sells the software outright at a reasonable price. It comes with 12 months of support and free updates. Of course, the updates are once a year at most.

What they started a few years back was a "service subscription" that provided you with free updates and new features as they wrote and released them as well as totally free tech support for problems.  The cost for the service contract is $100/year.  Since this is billing software for my business, having problems resolved quickly is paramount. The several times I have had problems or just questions, a simple call, 10 seconds on hold, and the problem or question resolved with professionalism in a few minutes is worth the cost.

However, regarding software that one uses for a hobby, I think there would be a mass exodus from the company's new products if a subscription service was instituted. I don't mind upgrading from time to time but to have to fork out a subscription monthly..... no way. 

BTW: I purchased a songwriter's program called MasterWriter.... and upgraded to MW2.0.... now they have come out with MW3.0 and it is not available as far as I can see as a purchase. Subscription only.  So I will be a MW2.0 user from this point on.

AS far as my DAW.... it's XP pro 32 bit with X1e and will likely stay that way. I will repair it as it dies, and attempt to keep it running as long as I can. I have all the original disks and install keys..... so why not?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 10:06:40 (permalink)
RE: Adobe.

Like dubdisciple, my knowledge of Adobe is only second-hand (my brother works there).

My impression is that the subscription model has been grudgingly accepted by their core base, which is professional video editors (who don't buy software out of their own pockets). At the same time, it's taken the company completely out of the running for the much larger market of casual users. But that was their strategy all along - acquiring Cool Edit Pro was to fill a hole in their flagship video-editing package.

I doubt they'd ever consider doing such a thing with Photoshop, with its much broader audience, of which only a minority are professional users.

Adobe also has some highly specialized markets, too. Like Linotype software and embedded Postscript interpreters for printers. These have always been a pay-as-you-go license kind of deal. Similarly, if you want to use the Acrobat developer's library you'll pay an annual fee for that privilege as well. I imagine the same is true for Flash and ColdFusion. The point being that you can get away with annuity payments if your user base is firmly locked into your product.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
spacey
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 10:08:37 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

I absolutely refuse to get all worked up about this topic ….in any way , shape or form ….
all the anger and frustration this topic may bring up is a luxury I simply cannot afford at this point in my life ..

Kenny 

You hit it on the head Kenny. People can guess just anything they want but there are also things that people know.

I don't understand why someone would get worked up about something that hasn't happened and haven't noticed if anyone has.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with my mother-in-law years ago; One of my friends wife had done something that was in effort to help her husband but it was done in a low-down way and caused a lot of trouble. It was brought up at the dinner table (because it did make the local paper) and I stated, " I sure wouldn't have done it that way". My MIL barked at me, "you don't know what you would have done!". I said; "you're correct. I don't know what I would have done but I do know what I wouldn't have done."

Things happen in life to folks that give them reason(s) to make decisions the way they see right. It doesn't mean they get upset about it. It means they've been down a road before or they understand why things would not work for them.

Line 6 is like that for me. I will never again have any of their equipment or software in my life. Not upset about it and never will be. Don't care if others buy their stuff or buy the whole company or the whole thing goes up in a flaming fart. So, I don't know what I may buy in the future but I can tell you that you could make a for sure bet that it won't have their name on it.  Yep, a smile Kenny. Consumers have that right and don't have to explain themselves to anybody and that's surely not something to get upset about.

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 11:48:15 (permalink)
Kalle Rantaaho
What is unclear to me is, what happens if I stop paying the subscription fees? Does the program stop working after a while or what? If I can continue with current version normally, then it's not that terrible, unless I, say, lose the  upgrade price option. 
If, however, I'm tied to pay as long as I want to be able to use the projects I've created, then it's next to criminal.
That would make switching to another DAW quite expensive, too, if you must keep paying just because you may need the projects in the future. Also, many of you have several DAWs installed. If they all use subscription-mode, the total cost for the ones you use only occasionally, can get relatively high.

Hi Kalle

Following on from the excellent insights about Adobe from Dub and Bit, I've just spent 20 minutes or so talking to Adobe Customer Support.

Obviously, this may not apply to all companies and all subscription models, but this is what they had to say:
  1. If you do not renew your subscription:
    • The software will run in demo mode for 30 days, unless you have already used it in demo mode, in which case it will run for the number of days you had left on your demo period.
    • Once the demo period expires, the software remains on your PC, but when you try to run it, you are presented with a splash screen that requires you to start another subscription before the product will open and function.
  2. Minimum Subscription period:
    • All their subscription plans are for one year. You can elect to pay monthly or annually; the annual 'upfront' charge works out slightly cheaper.
    • If you fail to make a monthly payment during the annual period, or if you wish to cancel your subscription before the end of the annual contract, you forfeit 50% of the remaining monthly subscription remaining (or if you paid an annual subscription, they will only refund you 50% of the amount you haven't used).

Apparently, it gets even more complicated if you subscribe to any of the plans that are bundled with online storage and user-run web pages (to advertise your business/showcase your work).

The minimum subscription period, coupled with the 50% forfeit, is implemented to stop users simply subscribing for a month at a time here and there.

Any Adobe software you already own a perpetual licence for (i.e. you bought the software before taking up a subscription plan) is not affected in any way; it will continue to work for as long as you have it installed regardless of any subscriptions you start, or subsequently cancel.

Part of my thinking about giving the Photography Plan a go for a year is based on the knowledge that if I decide to stop subscribing, all my image files will still open, and be completely editable in the versions of Lightroom and Photoshop Elements I actually own.

So, in your example, as long as you already own software that can open the files, you would be able to fall back on that once the subscription software stops working.

I'm guessing that problems might start to arise in some subscription plans if the files a particular software uses are not backwardly compatible. A good example might be if Cakewalk implemented a updated version of their proprietary Project File if they launched SONAR X4 as a subscription model. If the new project file format was not backwardly compatible, you wouldn't be able to open any projects created in X4 in X3 (and previous).

Incidentally, it's not impossible to conceive this could happen as they did change from .wrk (work) and .bun (bundle) files a while back to .cwp (project) and .cwb (bundle) files. However, as far as I can recall, they have made every effort to enable the newer software to open these old file formats.

I would assume most subscription plans from other companies would run along similar lines.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

SteveStrummerUK
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 11:53:13 (permalink)

@ Mike

Would you mind being a little less vague and try to be a bit more concise?

Are you trying to say you wouldn't move to a subscription model

tom1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 12:09:54 (permalink)
Kalle Rantaaho

The way I understand it:
You will not have the software on your computer. Your computer will only be a gateway to the subscription's server. That server will carry the software. Without connection to that server you will not be able to work on your project.
The positive view:
IfI understand correctly, one could get by with a low end computer and be able to hook-up to the subscription's server and use their high end computer. The subscriber will not have to worry about updating drivers, new versions, new operating systems.
There are some interesting posibilities here. Of course, it would be nice to have the choice of subscription or hard copy but it wasn't so with Adobe. I was told I have the last version of Photoshop that will be available for purchase. Future versions will only be available via subscription.

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
East West:
Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

dubdisciple
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 12:21:31 (permalink)
tom1
Kalle Rantaaho

The way I understand it:
You will not have the software on your computer. Your computer will only be a gateway to the subscription's server. That server will carry the software. Without connection to that server you will not be able to work on your project.
The positive view:
IfI understand correctly, one could get by with a low end computer and be able to hook-up to the subscription's server and use their high end computer. The subscriber will not have to worry about updating drivers, new versions, new operating systems.
There are some interesting posibilities here. Of course, it would be nice to have the choice of subscription or hard copy but it wasn't so with Adobe. I was told I have the last version of Photoshop that will be available for purchase. Future versions will only be available via subscription.

That is not quite right. The software is on your computer. You just need to sign in to cloud server at least once every thirty days or the product goes into demo mode for 30 days and then deactivates. This is part of the reason illegal versions still exist.
spacey
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 12:53:52 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

@ Mike

LOL....I did try.

tom1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 13:00:42 (permalink)
dubdisciple
tom1
Kalle Rantaaho

The way I understand it:
The positive view:

That is not quite right. The software is on your computer. You just need to sign in to cloud server at least once every thirty days or the product goes into demo mode for 30 days and then deactivates. This is part of the reason illegal versions still exist.

I was talking about the year 2050         :)

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm on Adobe subscription now and you're correct.

I guess I was thinking down the road; Way down the road. :)
Something like Wordpress, where the software is actually on your server's computer; and your computer is basically a gateway. 

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
East West:
Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 13:47:07 (permalink)
I am not keen on the subscription model because at some point, either due to a change in my circumstances or a price hike I may no be able to afford the fee. With the current system one could at least keep the old version running as long as the hardware held out.

That said I recently took out the Adobe Photography Plan as I needed to upgrade Lightroom to read the RAW files from my new camera. But Adobe have a much more commanding position in the photography software market that Cakewalk has in the DAW market, Adobe users more or less have had to grin and bare it but there are a lot of other DAWs on the market.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 13:51:58 (permalink)
Being a musician means I an poor. Very poor. No money for subscriptions from me

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

dubdisciple
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 13:57:59 (permalink)
Tom..I'm sure a true 100% cloud model is very desirable for software vendors. Easier to control piracy if software never resides on machine. It would probably require a very big brother type world where everyone was connected to a web so fast that latency was almost non-existent.
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 14:04:05 (permalink)
Thanks for the clarification. That sounds really bad.
Say,  I happen to have some extra money to buy a software today. I install, register and use it also in the future when I'm flat broke. I can't afford to upgrade, but I can go on as usual.
The subsciption method can be a really nasty trap, if you have  several such softwares on your machine.
Especially when we're talking about students,  the unemployed and the likes who can be really, really short of money every now and then.
I upgraded to 8.5 a few years ago and I have hardly spent a dime on software since. If subscription was the only way to get SONAR today, I'd move to Reaper immediately. I can't imagine they'd lower the real price so dramatically, that I could be talked into it.
Also, monthly (or yearly) subscription fees with all that credit card data exchange would increase the risk of other sort of unwanted incidents.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
dubdisciple
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 14:50:41 (permalink)
FYI, the Adobe model does allow typical multiple computer usage . For example, I could have Premiere Pro on my laptop and desktop or even on a mac and pc. The standard "as long as you are not using simultaneously" conditions apply. Some of the pluses for Adobe's model despite my overall dislike but begrudging usage, are:

Bug fixes come quicker. When a major issue accompanies an update the fix usually comes within days

There is still a major update at least once a year but .5 type updates come more frequently even if it's not for every product.

If you are a multimedia guy like myself that does sound, video, photography, vfx, motion graphics, etc, the overall cost of upgrading would be absurdly expensive since I would have to get the master suite which was like $3000 and upgrades were usually about $1600. Although I used a lot of products, there would still be plenty I did not use. Still a lot I don't use but I'm not paying nearly as much to not use them lol
dubdisciple
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 14:59:02 (permalink)
Also, I have been in the situation where finances caused me to miss a payment. Life happens. Medical expenses etc at an inopportune time caused me to be broke around Adobe collection time. What happened to me was I got an email telling me my software would expire in 30 days and any files I have on cloud server storage would be gone. Also whenever I opened software I got the same nag. It still functions normally so you have 30 days to pay or at least finish project. As drop dead date appraches you will get more warning emails and even calls...because thy care lol...and clarification on what happens if you don't pay. Another FYI, if you are unable to pay by dropdead date it's less sever than you think. They let you know that you can resume at any time. So you could conceivably take a couple months off and pick up with no penalty other than not being able to use for that time.
SteveStrummerUK
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 14:59:12 (permalink)
spacey
SteveStrummerUK

@ Mike

LOL....I did try.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist that - you're a good sport Mike!

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 15:22:39 (permalink)

@ Spacey: It took many, many years to get to X3 and a computer that had enough power to handle everything I wanted to do and then it finally happened. Cakewalk, Windows7 and the power of the PC finally came together -and all around the same time and for the first time there was amazing performance.
No conflicts with other intense software I enjoy using such as Vegas Pro and Spectrasonics stuff. Never could say that before X3, Win7 and a powerful PC.

Exactly!! Point. set, match!

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 17:23:42 (permalink)
There's one perspective that's been missing in this discussion.  Suppose you wanted to test the waters with a new mainstream, pro-level DAW?  First time buyers, as opposed to upgraders, will pay a premium to purchase a license.  On the other hand, if you could score a year of use for just a hundred bucks, your risk is very much lower. 

Personally, whether I pay a hundred bucks a year for an annual upgrade or a hundred bucks for a subscription makes little difference for a flagship piece of software like a DAW, as long as I'm actively and frequently using it.  Anything smaller though, like synths or effects, no way.
dubdisciple
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 17:39:58 (permalink)
dmbaer
There's one perspective that's been missing in this discussion.  Suppose you wanted to test the waters with a new mainstream, pro-level DAW?  First time buyers, as opposed to upgraders, will pay a premium to purchase a license.  On the other hand, if you could score a year of use for just a hundred bucks, your risk is very much lower. 

Personally, whether I pay a hundred bucks a year for an annual upgrade or a hundred bucks for a subscription makes little difference for a flagship piece of software like a DAW, as long as I'm actively and frequently using it.  Anything smaller though, like synths or effects, no way.

As far as testing the waters...well, that's why they have trial versions.  I do get your point though.  the only hole in that aspect with the Adobe model is you have to commit to a year to get the price they quote, so you are in effect committing to $660 to demo for a year.  i also do agree that the model works best for people who typically upgrade annually without fail anyway. Also, I get to claim the cost of subscription on taxes so that lessons the negatives for me. i think for many, particularly, long-time users it is more about principal than actual expense.  you are right, $100 per year is what most of us are paying anyway whether it is called subscription or upgrade.  The big difference of course would be that all upgrades from that point on likely go bye bye if you choose not to play at some point. Although we technically never "own" software", the fact we can use it perpetually (or at least as long as you have a computer that supports the software) even if we choose not to upgrade brings some sense of "mine".
spacey
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 18:02:50 (permalink)
dmbaer

Does not a free trial for software work for those wanting to "test the waters" ? And that's free with no risk .

Upgrading and updating are two different things to me.

Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 20:41:00 (permalink)
I think the whole software market is becoming insidious. That's the problem with monopolies. They set the base standard and coerce the rest market to follow suite. I feel the same way about the internet and the large monopolistic companies. Just today I placed a synthesizer on my watch list on Ebay. No biggee I thought... I was just curious to see what price this thing ended up at. So, a few hours later my wife asks me if I'm watching this synth. Now mind you, I never told her about it - but it ended up on her face book as an ad to her asking her if she's still interested. So, she doesn't have an Ebay account and I don't have a facebook account - but because some bonehead IT engineer thinks they can cross post anything to anything as long as it ends up at an IP address. F-ing rediculous - and so completely stupid. What if I was looking at engagement rings and it was my soon to be wife - but I decided to hold off on the big question. Can you see how the stupid aunt with big mouth can really screw things up ? These folks are not smart enough to correctly guess which underwear drawer is ok to look in. Because the answer is none of them.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/26 20:57:51 (permalink)
I'm at the point that I'm 1 Billion times more satisfied than I ever thought I would be in terms of what I can do with the software I currently have to record music.

I can do way more than I ever expected.  Way more than I ever even dreamed of doing with music even 5 years ago.

I could live on a deserted island (with electricity) and enjoy my Sonar X3 Producer and assorted extra plugins "as is" for the rest of my music endeavors.

However, I will be glad to pay for an upgrade for Sonar if as usual a new version comes out with some new features that really seem like a good improvement and the price is fair for the upgrade. 

But I wouldn't consider "upgrading" to a subscription model with those newer features.  I'd just stay happily on my island, much like those users who never made the jump to the X series and stayed loyal to Sonar 8.5.3.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/27 01:32:52 (permalink)
I also poo pooed the subscription model.  Would probably just stick with the latest (X3 is already beyond my wildest dreams of a few years ago) and throw some money at ableton or something new like BitWig.

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/27 01:33:03 (permalink)
I also poo pooed the subscription model.  Would probably just stick with the latest (X3 is already beyond my wildest dreams of a few years ago) and throw some money at ableton or something new like BitWig.

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
chulaivet1966
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 384
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/27 14:31:37 (permalink)
bitflipperSubscription models almost never work for anything other than very narrow vertical markets and highly specialized software such as oil exploration modeling. The history of the software industry is littered with the remains of defunct companies that tried to lock in their customer bases and failed. They failed because somebody else invariably came along to offer those customers a less restrictive and cheaper alternative.

That's where my logic (no pun intended) takes me.
I didn't mind filling out the survey.
But, not being market savvy about it, if they change to this paradigm X3 will likely be my last.

Personally, I like it the way it is.
I upgrade when I feel like it's time and I can justify the buckaroos.
Another monthly (or yearly) subscription fee is out of the question for me.
I would never own anything that requires a dongle or whatever other intrusive/captive protocols are out there now....I don't even know what they are anymore since the PACE days horror stories.

Carry on....

www.soundclick.com/wayneevansproject
Thank you for listening....
Military experience in case I'm not alone: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=78446
Semper Fi - USMC 1965-1969 RVN
My respect to all that have served honorably.
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/27 15:08:34 (permalink)
not interested in a subscription.

STILL..... using sonar 6 PE.....

works perfectly fine.

if they are smart, they will provide options for both, like MS does with office.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1