Recommendations Please

Author
Varsity
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2014/10/29 16:39:33 (permalink)

Recommendations Please

I am mainly a live keyboard player and need to lighten my load (hopefully)... Could someone point me in the direction of an interface to use live with at least 4 (would prefer 6) outputs that functions as a standalone mixer (with that meaning I don't necessarily have to have the computer on to run my hardware keys through it) I know a couple of the MOTU interfaces function in this way but have not found any others. Now I would have really loved one of the usb mixers but don't seem to see any of the smaller ones that have more than a stereo out.... thanks for any recommendations...

Toshiba Satellite L855
I7-3630QM Processor
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Sonar X3 
Native Instruments Komplete 10
IK Multimedia SampleTank, SampleMoog etc... 
Propellerheads Reason, Record & Recycle
Etc.....Etc….

11 Replies Related Threads

tomixornot
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/10/29 23:52:00 (permalink)
    The newer mixer+audio interface seems to feature mixing with iPad / Android pad. Taking away the knobs, faders may be a good thing reducing damage from wear and tear.

Presonus StudioLive AI-series
    Behringer XR18 X-Air (only this model supports USB multi track in/out, the lower model only supports USB stereo)

I think the Roland Studio Capture also enables mixing using the device front panel alone. Perhaps a future Roland unit may also feature iPad / Android mixing (just my prediction..).

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
    - ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
    - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
    Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/10/30 08:14:02 (permalink)
    a lot of them these days will work standalone.  MOTU as you said does.

beware of some of the USB mixers.  the older behringer USB mixers were nothing more than a regular mixer with a 2 in/2 out in-line USB "soundcard" which wasn't very good quality to begin with.

I know some of the Alesis USB units were that way as well and used USB Codec as their drivers.  very poor and again, only sent the main output from the mixer to 2 channels in the computer/sonar.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/10/30 13:19:27 (permalink)
    the Presonus line can do what you want, but you might have to get the 1818VSL to get enough gozintas and gozoutas.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Varsity
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/10/30 21:16:54 (permalink)
    I'm being told the 1818 has to have a computer and doesn't really run as a standalone mixer, so it's looking like motu is it i guess... thanks everyone

Toshiba Satellite L855
    I7-3630QM Processor
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Sonar X3 
    Etc.....Etc….
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/10/31 06:37:57 (permalink)
    If the number of I/O is sufficient, you can check SPL Crimson.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/10/31 17:42:28 (permalink)
    What's not clear to me is why your asking about interfaces and then saying you don't want it to rely on a computer? Is it you want a dual purpose device? A mixer that is also a interface?
    ANd most of the better choices will need an iPad , Tablet or laptop to control. That is how they make them inexpensive. By taking away a lot of unessassary hardware and making it all digital you get a lot more bang for the buck. And as said , that also means less stuff to break.
    This is the direction mixers are now going. The release of the Behringer air X series is a good example. Lots of ins and outs, lots of DPS power and so many ways to connect. all for $300. But it is only a 2x USB interface, The Air X18 is the multi channel USB but $800.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Xr12.aspx/

And even though most interfaces don't advertise the fact, any interface that is not buss powered is technically a stand alone mixer. My Tascam us1641 certainly outputs to the Monitor outputs all but the SPDIF inputs even with my computer turned off. It might even output to 1/2 but I've not tried that.
    I'm pretty sure my Scarlett 6i6 outputs to 1/2 without the computer.

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/10/31 20:30:58 (permalink)
    AFAIK, the presonus VSL's effects run as part of its USB driver... it's just asking for trouble.

Motu MKIII Hybrid - I have one and it's well worth it. 

laudem Deo
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/10/31 22:29:03 (permalink)
    Just looked at that Motu-  yes a very good option. Now you got me going too!
    I'm looking at something for live . I just bought a TC halicon voice play just to get better effects for my voice. I'm fence sitting about taking it back, just been playing with it for a few hours.. It was $250. For double that the Motu would do a lot more... I could sell my Scarlett 6i6..

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UltraLite3Hy

One question on the daw bench test they have the 828 Mk3 listed with very good RTL specs.. Are they the same more or less?
    http://forum.dawbench.com/showthread.php?1548-Audio-Interface-Low-Latency-Performance-Data-Base/page13

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/10/31 23:49:47 (permalink)
    sock monkey
    Just looked at that Motu-  yes a very good option. Now you got me going too!
    I'm looking at something for live . I just bought a TC halicon voice play just to get better effects for my voice. I'm fence sitting about taking it back, just been playing with it for a few hours.. It was $250. For double that the Motu would do a lot more... I could sell my Scarlett 6i6..

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UltraLite3Hy

One question on the daw bench test they have the 828 Mk3 listed with very good RTL specs.. Are they the same more or less?
    http://forum.dawbench.com/showthread.php?1548-Audio-Interface-Low-Latency-Performance-Data-Base/page13

Pretty Much. Even so, the built-in DSP effects make it a moot point if you're using the unit for tracking - the effects a real-time.

laudem Deo
    Varsity
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/11/05 21:22:00 (permalink)
    sock monkey
    What's not clear to me is why your asking about interfaces and then saying you don't want it to rely on a computer? Is it you want a dual purpose device? A mixer that is also a interface?
    ANd most of the better choices will need an iPad , Tablet or laptop to control. That is how they make them inexpensive. By taking away a lot of unessassary hardware and making it all digital you get a lot more bang for the buck. And as said , that also means less stuff to break.
    This is the direction mixers are now going. The release of the Behringer air X series is a good example. Lots of ins and outs, lots of DPS power and so many ways to connect. all for $300. But it is only a 2x USB interface, The Air X18 is the multi channel USB but $800.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Xr12.aspx/

And even though most interfaces don't advertise the fact, any interface that is not buss powered is technically a stand alone mixer. My Tascam us1641 certainly outputs to the Monitor outputs all but the SPDIF inputs even with my computer turned off. It might even output to 1/2 but I've not tried that.
    I'm pretty sure my Scarlett 6i6 outputs to 1/2 without the computer.

I will be playing other keyboards live and sometimes with soft synths sometimes without I would to run the hardware through the one piece, instead of out to another mixer then to the various destinations. I thought this was getting to be fairly common.... not sure though.

Toshiba Satellite L855
    I7-3630QM Processor
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Sonar X3 
    Etc.....Etc….
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: Recommendations Please 2014/11/07 14:23:56 (permalink)
    I would think it depends on at what level your stage set up is. If your in a bar band doing your own sound or even with a house engineer, then multiple outputs would not really be required, just a stereo pair would be all that is needed. In other words, your the one controlling your mix, not a sound man. This is often desirable if the sound man is on the lazy side and not familiar with your material. 

If you playing at festivals etc then yes you would want to send more options to the sound man.

So don't rule out a small digital mixer with only stereo USB capabilities.
    The new Behringers X series are worth a gander.
      http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/X18.aspx
    There is also the QSC Touch mix series 
    http://qsc.com/products/Mixers/Touchmix_Series/TouchMix-16/

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1