Helpful ReplyHad to keep son home from scool because....

Author
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
2014/10/31 01:43:53 (permalink)

Had to keep son home from scool because....

Some crazy neo-nazi kid threatened to shoot up school.  the scary thing is the story they sent the parents omitted tons of information that I fortunately was able to obtain on my own.  The kid was kicked out of two schools already for making similar threats.  how he got in my son's school is a mystery to me.  Anyway, this world is scary as crap at times.
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 02:48:48 (permalink)
Scares me how lenient we are, especially when my wife and I talk about being parents....

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
dubdisciple
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 03:24:47 (permalink)
Rain
Scares me how lenient we are, especially when my wife and I talk about being parents....

I won't lie.  It is scary but also the single most rewarding thing in my life.  Even moments like today remind me of what  a blessing they are.
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 07:54:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2014/10/31 19:16:33
Oh, don't call him a crazy neo nazi. That's offensive to all the neo nazis in the world. We can't offend anyone. He's really just a victim of today's society. We must try to understand him.
dubdisciple
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 09:19:01 (permalink)
Leadfoot
Oh, don't call him a crazy neo nazi. That's offensive to all the neo nazis in the world. We can't offend anyone. He's really just a victim of today's society. We must try to understand him.

lol.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 09:28:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2014/10/31 09:21:49
Actually, although I normally eschew such touchy-feely sociological fantasies, in this case I think the kid really is a victim. I just don't know of what.

Think about it this way...kids aren't born with the desire to shoot people or bomb schools, they have to learn that.

School shootings are a recent phenomenon, even though guns, teen impulsiveness, insecurity and fascination with violence are not. You have to wonder what's changed. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
dubdisciple
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 09:35:39 (permalink)
I suppose he is a victim of being born to a father teaching him hate and violence from the beginning. What are the odds he would NOT become a danger to others?
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 10:01:16 (permalink)
I just can't help thinking there's a lot of dark, violent imagery and ideas in popular culture these days which, for the most part, doesn't turn everyone into foam-mouthed lunatics, but does push a few "already troubled" kids over the edge. Plus school shootings are bound to snowball as each one inspires a series of copycats.

It could also be influenced by the fact that kids these days seem to grow up thinking that every thought and emotion they feel is valid because THEY thought it. Apparently checking your emotions with reason is no longer fashionable. Plus everyone's watching this tacky reality tv BS in which emotionally immature d-bags are portrayed dealing with all of their problems in a series of staged confrontations. I've noticed people becoming more confrontational in public and I wonder if this kind of TV is having an effect.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
dubdisciple
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 11:32:24 (permalink)
The official school message was vague and the news story did not help so I met with school principal to find out exactly what happened. I got some relief to learn kid is no longer in school but even more disturbed at what he was doing there to begin with. Apparently there is a loophole thag allowed this obviously disturbed kid to enroll a couple of weeks ago despite being kicked out of two schools for similar incidents. I no longer fear his school is in imminent danger since I doubt he was there long enough to make personal enemies other than his general hatred of minorities. Won't bore you all with the details but I will say I feel better on how principal handled things and floored by the incompetence of both local police and school board. :(
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 13:18:26 (permalink)
Skool... how things have changed since I was there. If I deserved it they beat my arse with a paddle. I never failed but they used to fail people for bad grades, now you only fail if you don't show up enough. My wife went back to college in the 90s and was floored by the HS grads who could not write a complete sentence... but we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Maybe they need to bring back stools and dunce hats. Discipline never hurt me, I think discipline shows love, of course I know we don't need dunce hats but we desperately need some sort of discipline in our schools, not 'mean' sort of discipline but loving arse whipping. I was slapped in the face by my 5th grade teacher for something two friends were doing and that is still with me, we don't need hurtful discipline... but we need discipline. Some of these misfits would not be misfits if they had discipline, not meanness.

Now.. they let some disturbed guy into school and send your kid home for eating his poptart into the shape of a gun. Yes... I mean No... I don't get it.

I am glad everything is OK at the school. May it stay well.

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 14:06:12 (permalink)
bitflipper
Actually, although I normally eschew such touchy-feely sociological fantasies, in this case I think the kid really is a victim. I just don't know of what.

Think about it this way...kids aren't born with the desire to shoot people or bomb schools, they have to learn that.

School shootings are a recent phenomenon, even though guns, teen impulsiveness, insecurity and fascination with violence are not. You have to wonder what's changed. 

I wonder if it may have something to do with the technology that allows us to have a virtual peer group. In the days before school shootings were popular, if you wanted to commit mayhem you were pretty much on your own. You might be able to find a couple of buddies in your town who were into raping the teacher or fire bombing the orphanage, but more likely than not if you suggested those amusements to your classmates, you would be met by considerable negative peer pressure. Now, when most of us have imaginary friends who we only know from forums and social media, and when television stops everything to show us helicopter shots of wounded students running across the school yard, it is easier to identify with the acts of a disturbed individual three states away.  
dubdisciple
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 14:19:55 (permalink)
Thank you J
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 15:35:46 (permalink)
Actually: LINK School shootings are not something new.

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Rain
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 15:39:22 (permalink)
According to my teachers, I was a disturbed kid. They even had the psychologist evaluate me because I was drawing "disturbing things" - horror movie and heavy metal inspired images. Demons eating brains, and such. I do think I was odd, but totally sane, because I was perfectly aware of the line between that fictional world and reality.

I also had trouble fitting in, I was bullied, though irregularly. My dad had guns at home - which I had access to. Actually, the old man often threatened to use his guns for a variety of purpose when he was drunk. Me, I'd learned how to shoot a riffle as a cadet when I was 12.

I listened to the meanest music I could find - it never was heavy enough. I loved horror movies, dressed all in black, had the all-time record for skipping classes, hung out in the cemetery, got drunk, got high, hated authority - but very passively.

NEVER EVER did it cross my mind that violence was an option to handle my problems. It wasn't something I could even have conceived.

I thank my mother for that. The way she raised me and the way she somehow always knew what I was up to, and if I did something stupid, I couldn't get away with it - I was shown just how stupid it was. That was a thing in my days - your mother always knew. And she talked with me. A lot. And made me understand. She didn't want me just to do the right thing just to avoid being caught, she wanted me to understand and do it, always. 

And it's something that she instilled so deeply that, no matter how I can theorize and rationalize things, ultimately, respect for others - regardless of how I perceive them - is always mandatory. Even if no one's looking, even if there's no camera. 

But I don't think the rest of my generation was brought up to the same ethics (if they were actually brought up) - and we see the results. I can't imagine when this new generation get kids of their own. It's hard to imagine that they'll be able to push the bar even lower.

Another huge difference I see is that, back in my days, it wasn't just my parents but all the parents in the neighbourhood who kept watch. And we respected adults. If you did anything stupid, any one of them would grab you by the wrist and drag you to your mom or dad.

Nowadays, the opposite is happening. Adults are scared of kids. If you see a kid doing something stupid, you don't want to get involved. Call 911 and let a professional handle it.

dubdisciple
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 16:16:59 (permalink)
Rain
According to my teachers, I was a disturbed kid. They even had the psychologist evaluate me because I was drawing "disturbing things" - horror movie and heavy metal inspired images. Demons eating brains, and such. I do think I was odd, but totally sane, because I was perfectly aware of the line between that fictional world and reality.

I also had trouble fitting in, I was bullied, though irregularly. My dad had guns at home - which I had access to. Actually, the old man often threatened to use his guns for a variety of purpose when he was drunk. Me, I'd learned how to shoot a riffle as a cadet when I was 12.

I listened to the meanest music I could find - it never was heavy enough. I loved horror movies, dressed all in black, had the all-time record for skipping classes, hung out in the cemetery, got drunk, got high, hated authority - but very passively.

NEVER EVER did it cross my mind that violence was an option to handle my problems. It wasn't something I could even have conceived.

I thank my mother for that. The way she raised me and the way she somehow always knew what I was up to, and if I did something stupid, I couldn't get away with it - I was shown just how stupid it was. That was a thing in my days - your mother always knew. And she talked with me. A lot. And made me understand. She didn't want me just to do the right thing just to avoid being caught, she wanted me to understand and do it, always. 

And it's something that she instilled so deeply that, no matter how I can theorize and rationalize things, ultimately, respect for others - regardless of how I perceive them - is always mandatory. Even if no one's looking, even if there's no camera. 

But I don't think the rest of my generation was brought up to the same ethics (if they were actually brought up) - and we see the results. I can't imagine when this new generation get kids of their own. It's hard to imagine that they'll be able to push the bar even lower.

Another huge difference I see is that, back in my days, it wasn't just my parents but all the parents in the neighbourhood who kept watch. And we respected adults. If you did anything stupid, any one of them would grab you by the wrist and drag you to your mom or dad.

Nowadays, the opposite is happening. Adults are scared of kids. If you see a kid doing something stupid, you don't want to get involved. Call 911 and let a professional handle it.

I recall my neighbors having some authority over me as well.  Now kids tell adults "you 'ain't my dad [link=mailto:%@#%"]%@#%"[/link] .  Oddly though I had very little supervision at home and mostly raised myself, so who knows why kids turn out how they do.

rain i think it is awesome how you were raised!
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/10/31 19:27:36 (permalink)
jbow

J

I was part of one of those... (1979)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/11/01 12:02:13 (permalink)
I think there is a LOT more pressure on kids now days, as they are all connected to each other ALL the time.

It used to be one of us would maybe say something dumb, but it wouldn't get shared with more than a small number of people.

Now, if you accidentally wear white past Labor Day, it's on TMZ, or whatever, because at any time, a single brain fart comment could be seen by every person who is close and important to you.  My son is spending just about every waking moment buried in his phone.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
dubdisciple
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/11/01 12:58:40 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
I think there is a LOT more pressure on kids now days, as they are all connson'sed to each other ALL the time.

It used to be one of us would maybe say something dumb, but it wouldn't get shared with more than a small number of people.

Now, if you accidentally wear white past Labor Day, it's on TMZ, or whatever, because at any time, a single brain fart comment could be seen by every person who is close and important to you.  My son is spending just about every waking moment buried in his phone.

Bob Bone

So true. Embarassing situations are now amplified and even viral at times. In the incident at my son's school, authorities actually made it worse by embarrassing the kid in front of everyone. So glad he won't be back at the school but . I fear he has found more rationale to justify his hate in his mind.
sharke
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/11/01 13:04:41 (permalink)
craigb
jbow

J

I Don't Like Mondays? 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/11/01 16:22:48 (permalink)
sharke
craigb
jbow

J

I Don't Like Mondays? 

Yep.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
dubdisciple
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/11/01 16:37:44 (permalink)
sharke
craigb
jbow

J

I Don't Like Mondays? 

What about blue ones?

New Order - Blue Monday: http://youtu.be/FYH8DsU2WCk
Rain
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/11/01 17:49:14 (permalink)
Worst than a Gloomy Sunday?

sharke
Re: Had to keep son home from scool because.... 2014/11/01 22:53:36 (permalink)
I loved I Don't Like Mondays as a kid but must admit I only became aware of what it was based on in recent years. Great song, just goes to show a song doesn't need drums to sound powerful.

James
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1