Helpful ReplyWhat the heck happened to my ASIO driver?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2014/10/30 17:32:04 (permalink)

What the heck happened to my ASIO driver?

I made a deal with the devil today.

I made a backup image of my system and then installed Cubase 7.5 and the 7.5.3 update. I haven't tried Cubase in 15+ years but I want to check out the Composition tools and the tempo mapping tools so I bought a license.

When I launched Cubase it asked "Do you want to run the Generic ASIO driver?". I didn't know I had a generic ASIO driver, and I have a MOTU hardware setup so I picked the MOTU ASIO option. Everything seemed ok, and I played back some demo projects from the Cubase website. I quickly formed an opinion that Cubase has a weird looking track view, which left me thinking "what was I thinking?".

Then I opened all my other DAWs, you know, just to make sure nothing unexpected had happened... and I guess I had expected it... but Pro Tools crashed, SONAR sort of worked, and Studio One seemed ok.

It turns out SONAR and Pro Tools had switched over to a "Generic ASIO driver" and so the MOTU gear was only running the 2 main outputs.

It took me while to figure it out but after I went through and reset the DAWs to use the MOTU ASIO driver everything got back to normal.

So I wonder, why would that happen? Did Steinberg install a "Generic ASIO driver" and then it somehow took a numbered list position in the registry, so to speak, in Windows so that the two DAWs loaded the driver from a list position rather than as an absolute specific driver?

Does any of that make sense?

As a final note: I hope to learn about the Cubase features I mentioned but it seems like it will be a cold day before I use it as an all a round DAW. Today was another, "gee whiz I really like SONAR 8.5 experience" for me.

edit spelling

post edited by mike_mccue - 2014/10/30 19:40:00

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: What the heck happened to my ASIO driver? 2014/10/31 02:03:33 (permalink)
I used to have ASIO4ALL installed on a laptop, for some reason, and Sonar would pick that up, even though I had a Presonus ASIO driver installed - Sonar seemed to be picking up the 1st ASIO driver it found alphabetically, but I could not swear to that (though I certainly swore AT it).

I completely ripped ASIO4ALL out of my life, and all was well again in the universe.  I then did absolutely ZERO further debugging into what rhyme or reason Sonar applied to which ASIO drivers it loaded.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
The Maillard Reaction
Re: What the heck happened to my ASIO driver? 2014/10/31 08:14:10 (permalink)
Thanks Bob.

I'm wondering if there is a way to find the Generic ASIO driver and unistall it.

I am thinking about using a disc image to go back to yesterday morning pre install and try the install again, with the idea that I might ferret out the Generic ASIO driver before I launch any of the DAWs and have them aitomatically change my setups.

I'll go see what's on the DAW once the coffee kicks in.

MachineClaw
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1116
Re: What the heck happened to my ASIO driver? 2014/10/31 10:40:20 (permalink)
I don't know why installing Cubase 7.5 screws up ASIO drivers/settings but it did for me.

My Sonar X3 Pro took a dive after installing Cubase 7.5 and was hosed for a bit.  finally got back to my Focusrite Saffire driver and now both are playing happy. well happy-ish.

Love Sonar X3 Pro.  every time I use one of my other DAWs I come back to Sonar and go ahhhhhh.  I just wish Sonar had better midi / piano roll stuff.

I have Ableton Live 9 Suite, ProTools 10/11, FL Studio 11, Cubase 7.5 and Sonar X3 Pro.  Each has a part or piece that is greater than other DAWs, but I always come back to Sonar and like it so much more.

I don't know about the generic ASIO driver or any of that.  I just set all my DAWs up after an installation and recheck / reset stuff and it all works.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: What the heck happened to my ASIO driver? 2014/10/31 12:05:14 (permalink)
Mike, I have no help other than that this is not the first thread about this. Sorry you had trouble.

Regarding midi and sonar, I don't know what I'm missing in other daws but Brock always helps me see a very distant horizon of amazing possibility in sonar midi.

If Brock likes sonar, it has to be good enough for me.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: What the heck happened to my ASIO driver? 2014/10/31 13:11:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mike_mccue 2014/10/31 13:05:15
May ARC 2 got in the way via your convolution Reverb routed thru your USB bus?

I hate when that happens.

Try Drumagog next time.
The Maillard Reaction
Re: What the heck happened to my ASIO driver? 2014/10/31 14:26:58 (permalink)
Just for the record, I solved my problem:

I used Acronis to restore back to yesterday just before installing Cubase 7.5.

I installed Cubase 7.5 and the 7.5.3 update.

I Backed up then deleted this folder C:\ProgramFiles\Steinberg\Asio which contained the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver.
Ran CCleaner to clean registry of the driver info.

I launched Cubase and selected the MOTU driver.

I launched SONAR and everything was perfect. My MOTU driver was in place and most importantly my custom manual latency input parameter was at the value I left it at rather than the "0" I was stuck with after the reset.

I launched Pro Tools and everything was perfect. My I/O setup was unchanged and I got right back to the project I was working on immediately before installing Cubase.

Now I can spend a couple of years getting used to Cubase without it messing with my fung shui.

Interestingly, Adobe Audition, Presonus Studio One 2, and Sound Forge had been uneffected by the problem I experienced yesterday. The way they see the drivers in Windows is evidently different then the way SONAR and Pro Tools does. It would be nice to think that SONAR and Pro Tools could be improved so as to be able to stick to the drivers you set them to until you choose to make a change. The willingness on the part of both of those apps to swap to the most recently installed ASIO driver seems to have been the cause of my problems. Some people responded to other people's observations of these issue by saying "just switch it back" but they did not address the issues like losing your latency compensation settings or ending up with persistent and meaningless warning dialogs.

I am glad to have actually fixed the issue so that it does not cause me any problems or inconvenience.

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: What the heck happened to my ASIO driver? 2014/10/31 15:11:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mike_mccue 2014/11/02 08:05:49
mike_mccue
Thanks Bob.

I'm wondering if there is a way to find the Generic ASIO driver and unistall it.

I am thinking about using a disc image to go back to yesterday morning pre install and try the install again, with the idea that I might ferret out the Generic ASIO driver before I launch any of the DAWs and have them aitomatically change my setups.

I'll go see what's on the DAW once the coffee kicks in.

Hi Mike,

Cubase does indeed install a Generic ASIO driver.
For folks with a quality audio interface, this is a PITA.   

You can go into the registry under these two locations and delete the Generic ASIO Driver entry:
  • HKey_Current_User>Software>ASIO
  • HKey_Local_Machine>Software>ASIO
Once removed, the Generic ASIO driver won't show up in any of your applications.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re: What the heck happened to my ASIO driver? 2014/10/31 15:36:02 (permalink)
Hi Jim,
 I almost called you on the phone. :-)

Thanks for the detailed info!!!

2:43AM
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1147
Re: What the heck happened to my ASIO driver? 2014/11/01 00:12:29 (permalink)
Glad you got it resolved rather quickly.  I remember I had this problem awhile back when I demoed Cubase.  I believe I found the solution here in the good ole Cakewalk forums!
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: What the heck happened to my ASIO driver? 2014/11/02 07:41:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mike_mccue 2014/11/02 08:06:00
Image, Image, Image.
Saved the day again!
Take this to heart children.
That is all..................

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro