Helpful ReplyCutting pine trees and cancer... <Update>

Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2014/10/30 12:42:52 (permalink)

Cutting pine trees and cancer... <Update>

I've had people here since Saturday cutting pine trees, chain saws all day... I hope they finish today.

My wife just got the results from the dermatologist, we went last week. She has a squamous cell on her forehead that they are going to treat with blue ray but there is a basal cell at her lip that they want to do Mohs surgery on, it will leave a hole and a scar. Of course they can do restorative surgery but I feel so bad for her. This has been a hard year that just keeps on giving.

I have not even gotten to setting up my new DAW. Maybe this afternoon I'll get started, sometimes I just lose the "want to". Need to keep going though.

Thanks.. I know I have friends here and I appreciate you.

>>>They called with my biopsy results today and I have an (early) squamous cell TOO! It even gets better... they want to treat it with some cream that the pharmacy said will cost me over 1k. Great! Oh, and the tree people still aren't finished and they broke a post to the chain link fence and bent a top rail TOO!! Wonderful. I think I am going to call someone else to finish it. Plus I get to go to the DENTIST tomorrow!! Ain't life grand.

It could ALWAYS be worse, really I'm not complaining... it is sort of funny. I thought today how much I am like Monk... I had to put a blue bulldog clip on something I always put a red clip on and it sort of bothered me, LOL. Not as much as when the glasses or silverware aren't put in the cabinet and drawer the way I like it (the way they obviously GO)... or the dish towels. I usually take them out and redo them. I think maybe I AM back to norbal!

J
post edited by jbow - 2014/11/03 18:30:41

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Old55
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/30 13:50:18 (permalink)
I'm so sorry to hear the bad news.  Prayers and best wishes to both of you. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/30 14:29:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2014/10/30 19:40:17
jbow

Maybe this afternoon I'll get started, sometimes I just lose the "want to". Need to keep going though.

I don't want to change the focus from you with this long story below; but you touched a chord with me as I too found a way to "keep going" and your post above moved me.

In 2012 I found I had salivary gland cancer; it had been misdiagnosed since 2005 or before. At this point, it was massive (~3-5") and the surgeon told me he could cut off my face in a 13 hour surgery to save my life (of course there would be restorative surgery that would follow).

I said no and made preparations to die. I had already quit playing guitar for over a year because of the constant bleeding and it was impossible to sing. I "died" in Jan 2013. I was in ICU for over 6 days and they brought me back over and over (heart stoppage from massive blood loss). Another doctor attempted a punt, and blitzed me with radiation for three days. The bleeding stopped and when I woke up he talked me into another 7 weeks of daily radiation in the face to shrink the tumor. I lost my hair, taste, smell, eyesight, 80 pounds...they gave me one year (until Easter 2014) but that was what we signed on for...enough time to get affairs in order.

Easter came this year and I kept getting better, cutting down my own trees, some 25 of them. Then I got cocky at the end of August and shattered my hip socket.

Now I was forced to sit in the studio again. I hadn't played guitar or written a song in over three years. I had only done some small freebies for friends e.g. karaoke stuff.

Then it all came back. Some blisters on my fingers, then a new song, then some new productions from old friends...now the music won't leave my head day or night, just like it used to be. I made it back to "me" again and I am so happy!

So, yeah, like you say, there is a deep need to keep going :)

I will pray for you and your wife.

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/30 14:54:40 (permalink)
Very good to hear on your recovery Robby.....you have a lot to be thankful for. My father just passed away 2 days ago from stage 4 liver cancer with multiple metastasis to other organs. Through his undeniable Faith, he very quietly and patiently accepted everything his condition brought onto him, actully was in good spirits, and had completely resigned himself to God. He never complained about anything and didn't want much pain meds either, but I'm certain he internally suffered quite a bit.
Just being positive and openly accepting his condition had made it much more bearable for him and even all of us.

Julien, I truly hope and pray that your wife will also be given the strength to go through whatever this condition brings out in her and wish both of you the very best in getting a positive outcome.   
post edited by Mesh - 2014/10/30 15:01:24

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/30 16:02:49 (permalink)
Sorry to hear that, Julien.
My best wishes to you and your wife.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/30 16:36:06 (permalink)
Keep staying positive Julien and for the rest of you that have and are going through cancer treatments.  Our IT guy's wife just made a miraculous recovery from breast cancer this year.  My old CFO has cancer but through treatment, he seems to be knocking it down dramatically.  It is easy to say "hang in there and think positive" but there really is a lot to be said for a good strong positive outlook in these critical times.  I wish you all the very best and will pray for you.

Jimmy

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/30 16:39:12 (permalink)
Prayers for your family, Julien. We'll be thinking of you.
jbow
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/30 19:54:34 (permalink)
Thank you all, I knew I had friends here, I mean that. Mesh, I am sorry for your loss.
Bobby, He moves in mysterious ways.
I am sure Cindy will be OK. I need to just make time for the things I want to do. Life is for living right?

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/31 11:44:15 (permalink)
Hoping for the best for you and your wife. Hang in there. . .

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/31 12:34:01 (permalink)
Julien - prayers for your wife.  I hope she can get thru this and still have some dignity with restorative surgery.

robby my old friend!  I haven't talked to you in a long time.  I had feared the worst when I hadn't heard anything from you in so long (as I knew you had cancer last time we spoke).  I'm very happy to hear of your recovery! 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
jbow
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/31 12:53:13 (permalink)
Thanks. I am sure everything will be fine, it is not a large spot.

These tree people are beginning to make me feel like I am digging a hole and don't know when to stop digging. Today is a week, it is a guy and his wife and sometimes son. He kept stopping by the house over the last few months and I kept putting him off due to other things going on. He has worked for a couple of other people in the neighborhood and his price was good but they want to be paid a little everyday. I finished (I hope) paying them yesterday but it looks like they have at least two days of work left. Quoted 1k, I've paid them 1240.00 but they have done a little extra and I don't mind helping folks, plus I had to rent a 30yd dumpster for 250.00. It is still cheaper than the tree companies in the yellow pages but soon it wont be if it keeps up, and they would have been done in a day or two.
I feel a little like a sucker but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time but I guess if you don't do what you think is right at the time, when do you. Just feeling a little depressed today I think.

I'm sure all will end well though.

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/31 13:44:18 (permalink)
Whew. I can sure relate, Julien. Just when you think life has finally gotten comfortable, some sh*t comes along to screw it all up.

All I can say is no matter what, don't shut out the music. Even if it's just singing to yourself while you do the laundry, music is good medicine.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/31 14:21:47 (permalink)
Ugh.... cancer.Sorry you guys. Best wishes your way. There seems to be some kind of an epidemic that isn't really spoken about much.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

jbow
Re: Cutting pine trees and cancer... 2014/10/31 14:35:38 (permalink)
bitflipper
Whew. I can sure relate, Julien. Just when you think life has finally gotten comfortable, some sh*t comes along to screw it all up.

All I can say is no matter what, don't shut out the music. Even if it's just singing to yourself while you do the laundry, music is good medicine.

I do that Bit, and I really appreciate the kind words. I went for nearly 2 months with out playing my guitar in August through most of September. It was literally one thing after another and sometimes 3 or 4 things in a day. It was like things would get quiet for a day or two then in the period of a few hours some problem would come up and "family" would call with some complaint. Let me tell you being POA for inlaws (my dad got my wife to do that for him and my mom) is really taxing and draining. Ever since my dad appointed my wife POA my sister and her family have hated her and been anything other than a solution in ANY problem... but that is another story. We have learned a little better how to handle it.
I'll be OK, she will be OK and maybe one day I will have the time and the "want to" at the same time again. You're right about the music. I keep writing lyrics and playing on my acoustic when I can.
Thanks again.

Starise... Thanks, will appreciate prayer!

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1