The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good

Author
dstrenz
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1067
2014/10/25 22:59:27 (permalink)

The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good

Interesting article about Abbey Road Studios:
 http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/10/the-technical-constraints-that-made-abbey-road-so-good/381820/

Some of My Stuff

17 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/26 09:24:21 (permalink)
    Great find, Don! Lessons there that we can all learn from, and that us old-timers can certainly relate to. 

I, too, have sold off 95% of all the gear I've ever owned under the misguided assumption that it had become, or was soon to become, obsolete. Vintage instruments, effects, speakers, even microphones (that anyone should know rarely go obsolete).

Favorite paragraph:

Today’s creative paradox is that this human element, which often makes a song distinct or artistically interesting, is the thing which is almost always erased from modern productions.

I once sat in on a friend's recording session, to provide an electric piano lead for a song. Unfortunately, it was an evening session at a time when my diabetes was not under control and I'd neglected to eat beforehand. During the session my blood sugar dropped. I was unable to focus and my fingers felt like they had lead weights on them. After multiple failed takes, I suggested that we'd have to try again another day.

I took a mix home with me, loaded it into SONAR and recorded the part under more ideal conditions. I recorded it as MIDI so that any flubbed notes could be easily corrected. I played multiple variations and comp'd in the best bits of each. It was, to my ear, nearly flawless. I delivered the part to the engineer, thinking I'd done my friend proud.

When they brought the finished album to me a month later, I was shocked to hear my original sloppy studio-recorded solo on the track. My friend said, "oh yeh, we all listened to the tracks you did and everybody decided they liked the first one better."

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    dstrenz
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/26 10:29:50 (permalink)
    I paused when I read that paragraph too, Dave! It brought to mind the numerous times I've begun to record a part in tense 'safe mode', made a mistake a few seconds in, think to myself, oh crap, I'll just write this take off, keep going and re-record it later. At that point, all the nervousness about making a mistake is gone and some cool things happen that never would have otherwise.

Some of My Stuff
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/26 11:00:59 (permalink)
    Bingo, I feel like we have gone overboard with editing and the industry is at the point where they are editing ALL of the character right out of the finished product. As a result, everything is starting to sound the same.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/26 14:43:28 (permalink)
    Music may be applied mathematics, but it is the slight imperfections and playing one line off another that make it ... interesting. (note this is coming from a horrible musician)  Bit's example is a good one, but even the biggest of the pros use it.  On "I saw her again" by the Mamas and the Papas the male chorus line comes in early and stops after "I saw her."  A mistake in the grid centered world of pop.  They decided to leave it in because it worked, and Lennon said it was pure genius.  Little things that knock music off the grid of expectations can make the music - at least non-classical music. When I happen to hear the radio/TV and the picture perfect timing and pitch it is like looking at American Gothic w/o the wrinkles.  As Wm. Burroughs said, "That's the point, don't you see."

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/26 16:28:12 (permalink)
    One of the reasons why I'm such a huge fan of Jimmy Page is that he never let his musician ego take precedence over his role as a producer.

As a guitar player, even though I'm worlds apart from the flashy virtuoso type of musician, even with the somewhat minimalist parts I tend to assign to myself, I still find it's a very, very tough thing to let go before I reach take no 257.

Page and those guys captured music. There were goofs, there were noises - like that plane you can hear at the beginning of a song on Physical Graffiti, and Plant tells Eddie Kramer to keep rolling... 

For all its perfection, modern music is extremely sterile by comparison.

Yet, the other side of it is that more and more, I tend to hear very bad edit jobs. The musicians are edited out, but the Pro Tools engineer is sloppy and leaves evidences all over the place...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/26 17:39:15 (permalink)
    Well as the resident Abbey Road expert, (yes a big call, I know but Jeff Evans might actually back me on this one) I pretty know how every Beatle recording went down, both The Complete Beatles Recordings by Mark Lewisohn and Geoff Emericks book are the go to tomes for the budding young producer or engineer. 

A lot of The Beatles majik was in the neumann microphones, which were tubes, The Beatles vox amps, which were solid into the original Redd (EMI made) mixing desk which was also tubes, so you got tube EQ's and limiters.  Basically you were getting the perfect mix of odd and even harmonics or this is the theory I have bandied around.  This changed with Abbey Road the album, when the Redd desk went solid state and you can hear it in the bass of Come Together and I Want You.  Of course it was the music too, the tech stuff would have meant nothing without the music.  Interestingly enough you can hear the same combo's in Pink Floyd's music and Queen's.  So I think there must be something to the odd/even harmonic combo.  Want further proof...Britpop Oasis and Blur, I think used a similar combo to get that sound.  Hell Lenney Kravitz brought an EMI Redd desk, I'm not sure if it was solid or tube for that sound.

Now I'm musing, I would have been a great producer, if they still existed today.  I know the techniques, (Ringo's towel drums, variespeed, tube harmonics, Pages...Bonham sound...Bowie's/Visconti Heroes' vocals. Fripp's measured feedback for Heroes, Frippertronics, on it goes oh even the technique used for Queens harmony vocals).  Now here is the kicker, and I will be kicked...we can emulate it now all for a few hundred bucks and a DAW.  I am in no doubt, that the various emulations, with tube and transistor front ends for the real stuff...vocals, guitars and drums, you can get that sound.  It takes technique, historical understanding and perspective.  And an understanding of digital recording technique, which is different to analogue but just the same in Sonar...Huh. 

It's hard to emulate, or it was, analogue recording techniques in Pro Tools, no gain stage built into every channel.  This is important because most of the time, and again I'm waiting to be kicked most of the analogue stuff was recorded to a level to get some sort of saturation.  To get this in digital land a minimum of -6 db level is required...note a 6db level minimum.  Using the gain on the channel when you go to mix, allows you to set the gain proper when you mix. 

The Pro Channel console emulator is just as good for this too, I know the current paradigm of using it last is all the rage...but I think this is a mistake, I use it first.  This is because if you were going to feed a track out of a mixer for recording then it would be first in signal chain.  Actually it's not a mistake to use it last, it just depends on which paradigm your using.  Because I am using the mix as you go technique, rather than mix it off the tape technique, I'm aiming for a different sound.  Hmm I just worked this out.  Again musing. 

Of course you guys are probably all wondering about headroom on the master buss, particularly if I am recording or even bouncing or freezing, this is where the analogue idea comes in...its all about summing.  30 odd tracks means you have to sum about -15 db on the master buss for the appropriate headroom.  It works too.  But I will leave it to the boffins to fight it out and tell me I'm Capt chump. ;)

Ben           

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/26 18:20:33 (permalink)
    Good post, Ben! One element you left out was the Fairchild 670 that they (Emerick, Smith and that other guy) put on pretty much anything and everything. It's the Fairchild that's responsible for Ringo's signature ride wash. An example of forget-the-rules improvisation, as that compressor was was designed specifically for mastering and re-purposed in the name of creative license.

It was also Emerick who broke EMI's explicit rule against sticking expensive microphones right up next to drums, thus pioneering what has since become standard practice. Of course, few are brave enough to put a vintage Neumann an inch from a tom tom; we use $99 microphones for that nowadays.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    BenMMusTech
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/26 18:28:29 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Good post, Ben! One element you left out was the Fairchild 670 that they (Emerick, Smith and that other guy) put on pretty much anything and everything. It's the Fairchild that's responsible for Ringo's signature ride wash. An example of forget-the-rules improvisation, as that compressor was was designed specifically for mastering and re-purposed in the name of creative license.

It was also Emerick who broke EMI's explicit rule against sticking expensive microphones right up next to drums, thus pioneering what has since become standard practice. Of course, few are brave enough to put a vintage Neumann an inch from a tom tom; we use $99 microphones for that nowadays.

Thanks Bit...for a change I didn't piss you off.
    No I never forgot the Fairchild, paramount for that Beatle sound.  I already mused enough I thought, all I do is piss people off with my musing...lol.  Actually the UAD Fairchild is amazing, combined with Rings Beat kit in session drummer three and a hi-shelving down to about 2khz for the tea-towel sound, if anyone is interested and want to emulate Ringo's playing.  Get The Complete Beatles song book, which has drum transcriptions and you'd be amazed at how close you can emulate Ringo's drums.  What would be an even more amazing experiment is the new Abbey Road waves emulator's stuff.  I should not be such a tight wad and purchase.

Ben 

PS Anyone want to experiment and turn a speaker into a microphone, ala Paperback Writer and Paul Mc's bass sound. 

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    dstrenz
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/26 18:38:13 (permalink)
    As interesting as the article is, it's just as interesting seeing what people got out of it. For me, the quote in bitflipper's post and the following quote stood out the most:

“Do mistakes make music better? ” I asked Kehew. Not really, he responded. It’s just that, when it comes to what people like about music, there was actually only one thing worse than these imperfections: perfection.

“I’ve done it and seen it many times," he said. “Take something flawed, work on it 'til every part is ‘improved’ then listen. It's worse. How could that be? Every piece is now better. But it's a worse final product.”

If Paul McCartney recorded a song using a built in laptop mic, it would probably sound good to me (assuming it wasn't something off of his 2nd solo album). Much better sound than the old transistor radio I used to happily listen to the Beatles, Drifters, Supremes, Ventures, etc. on.

Some of My Stuff
    Larry Jones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 834
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/29 14:06:01 (permalink)
    I'd like to second the general tone of this thread, and I hope I (we) don't sound stuck in the past.

A well-known author who has published several "handbooks" for recording, mixing and mastering engineers has a habit of posting on his blog isolated tracks from old hit recordings, for example, the drum and bass track of The Beatles' "Hello Goodbye." With the rest of the mix stripped away, he always finds some little musical or technical anomaly, and goes on to say something like "...if this had happened today, we would have fixed it."*

The idea that you could "fix" something that was good enough for George Martin, Paul, and Ringo at the time, on a record that millions of people still love 50 years later, just seems wrong to me. I mean, doesn't the word "fix" kind of include the notion of "improve?" I think the musicians and technicians working at Abbey Road in those days must have understood that concept, too.

Even with all the tools I now have at my disposal to fix stuff, I believe that music should be organic, and as such a little hair growing off the side of it is acceptable, if not downright desirable.

*To be fair, after I repeatedly challenged this author he finally admitted that he doesn't mean it should be fixed, just that it would be fixed. Considering that there are a lot of budding engineers reading his books, I think he should make that disclaimer on every one of his "isolated tracks" posts.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/30 01:03:04 (permalink)
    One of the things this post made me think of was the notion that music is emotion channeled by the structure of math.  Which is one reason it is nice to know a little bit of the science of music and mathematical relationships (even if the guitarist can't count past 10 without taking off shoes).  But nobody dances to an open math book.

Fixing all the ... quirks, making a song mathematically perfect, provides only obvious expectations w/o any surprises.  which is the point of music.  I'll take an imperfect performance that captures the emotion of the song any day over a perfect take which you can already hear after the intro. 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/10/31 17:55:07 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech
    The Beatles vox amps, which were solid

Are you sure about that? The AC15s and AC30s the Beatles used in their earlier recordings were certainly not solid state, nor were Vox's early louder amps, the AC50 and AC100.

Brian May uses valve AC30s by the way. Not sure about David Gilmour. I associate him mostly with Selmer in his early years then Hiwatt DR103s, at least as his main amps.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    BenMMusTech
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/11/01 23:41:01 (permalink)
    tlw
    BenMMusTech
    The Beatles vox amps, which were solid

Are you sure about that? The AC15s and AC30s the Beatles used in their earlier recordings were certainly not solid state, nor were Vox's early louder amps, the AC50 and AC100.

Brian May uses valve AC30s by the way. Not sure about David Gilmour. I associate him mostly with Selmer in his early years then Hiwatt DR103s, at least as his main amps.

Yes you are partially correct my bad...just had to look it up.  The early Beatles Vox amps were all tubes, then in mid-60's they were turned into transistors...Mays were always resistors.  I did not say Gilmour used Vox, you are correct he used Hi-Watt's.
    http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/amp/beat.html
    Ben

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/11/02 16:17:19 (permalink)
    There's a lot of confusion over 1969s Vox amps, probably because the Vox-badged amps made in the States by Thimas Organ had little in common with the (original) Vox amps built in the UK by Jennings Musical Instruments other than cosmetics. The (Thomas) Beatle and Super Beatle are pretty much unknown in the UK.

The JMI Voxes were mostly valve, including the AC50 and AC100 developed in the mid 60s when 30 watts was no longer enough to cope with the increasing size of audiences (not to mention the screaming that greeted the Beatles). A cranked AC30 is remarkably loud and bright, in the painful to stand in front of class. I can't imagine what the audience noise must have been like when it got so bad the Beatles gave up gigging. JMI did build some solid state and hybrid stuff but it was never a mainstay of their range or regarded in the same light as the class A(ish) EL84-powered AC15 and AC30, the bass amps perhaps being the exception, though Marshall pretty much had the UK bass amp market at the time. The Beatles would have had access to anything of course, Harrison and Lennon certainly used Fender and Marshall amps as well as Vox.

I'm not sure what you mean by May's amps being "resistor". His AC30s were and are definitely valve. He did some work with Derek Rocco of Watford Valves a few years ago to find a good modern valve set for the AC30. The result was gain-rated JJ made Harma STRs, often cryogenically treated. Very good valves on a par with old Mullard, Sulvania and Phillips. May did often use a little Deacy solid-state amp in the studio as well.

I think you're right about the combination of solid state and valve blended together creating a very musical sound. A transistor Fuzz Face running into a valve amp still takes some beating, and just about every distortion/overdrive pedal is solid state of course. Personally I prefer transistors after valves to be simple, clean amplifiers rather than adding clipping of their own. Valves can smooth out solid state clipping while solid state clipping on top of solid state clipping gets very harsh and tiring.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    BenMMusTech
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/11/02 16:26:47 (permalink)
    Transistors, yes, Transistors and resistors I was getting my wires crossed.  Sorry, more  creative man and scholar (history, why?) hence I'm always happy to admit I am wrong.

Some of the best electric guitar sounds I ever got, was the Behringer 90 buck tube amp...horrible dirty sound fed into whatever card I was using and compression, for truly beautiful digital hybrid sustain and distortion.  In fact when I was using my Creamware DSP cards, which could be played "live" I was able to get great...I think you would call it digital feedback, using my Yorkville monitors.  I would call it digital feedback because it was coming from a digital source.  Maybe I am wrong.

Ben, sorry musing again.

dstrenz
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/11/02 16:39:01 (permalink)
    I remember someone telling me a long time ago that the Beatles Vox amps actually had Fender guts because they had a contract with Vox which obligated them to have Vox amps when they played live. Was that a myth?

Some of My Stuff
    BenMMusTech
    Re: The Technical Constraints That Made Abbey Road So Good 2014/11/02 20:58:47 (permalink)
    dstrenz
    I remember someone telling me a long time ago that the Beatles Vox amps actually had Fender guts because they had a contract with Vox which obligated them to have Vox amps when they played live. Was that a myth?

I'm not sure I will do some research.

Ben

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1