Helpful ReplyWill amp sims ever sound good?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
2014/10/31 21:44:35 (permalink)

Will amp sims ever sound good?

I had Pod Farm 2, Gearbox before that, and now I have Amplitube 3 with the Orange, Fender and Ampeg SVX, and Soldano add ons. I just can't get into liking them. Believe it or not, using low res on Amplitube helps. To be fair, the bass amp sims do sound pretty good. I just don't get the hype about them though. To me, there is just too much harmonic response or saturation or whatever. Maybe if they did impulse cabs as opposed to whatever they do now?

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/10/31 21:55:47 (permalink)
All of the Amplitube amps you mention sound excellent to me. I believe the guitar contributes to the quality. Maybe you have some settings that could be adjusted?

Example of Orange sounding awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg6SaKk0mms

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Leonard
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 309
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/10/31 22:29:44 (permalink)
How close are your studio monitors to actual guitar amp cabs? That makes a huge difference. I have a set of JBL studio monitors (4312's) that have 10 in speakers with 10 1/2 lb magnets behind them. When I run the Marshall amp from S-Gear through it, it sounds stunningly authentic and this is running alongside actual tube amps -blackface Princeton, Hot Rod Deluxe, etc.

Sonar X 3 Pro, Sweetwater Creation Station 400 -i7 2600, Steinberg MR816x w/Focusrite Octopre mkII adat'ed in
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/10/31 22:53:03 (permalink)
Huh, I've sometimes wondered how a good amp sim would react outputted to a speaker located in a typical guitar amp position instead of where monitors typically sit...

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Guitarpima
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/10/31 23:10:37 (permalink)
I thought the whole point of an amp sim was using regular monitors as opposed to an amp cab? I can usually get the clean stuff to sound decent but distorted is out of the question.

I do notice that Pod Farm 2 sound better than Amplitube though. Pod Farm only has one input whereas A3 has two. I had it set so both inputs were used. I then set the second input to an unused input and it sounded better. I haven't tried setting the pan to either left or right but I don't see why that should matter but I'll try it anyway now that I just thought of it.

I don't have proper monitors though. I have an old set of Linear Dynamic consumer speakers. I know I should get proper monitors but this is the best I can do for now. Maybe I should do what I do for mixing. Check against audio either CD or online radio.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
Leonard
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 309
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 00:09:14 (permalink)
Yeah. I could have expressed my thought much more clearly. I was referring to monitors having approximately the same weight and power necessary to drive them as guitar cabs not that they should sound colored like guitar cabs. Another way of saying it is - I would not expect smaller speakers would be able to create the sense of realism of beefier monitors.

Amplitube is good stuff. It should hold its own when compared to Pod Farm 2. Maybe try tweaking the gain going into Amplitube?

Sonar X 3 Pro, Sweetwater Creation Station 400 -i7 2600, Steinberg MR816x w/Focusrite Octopre mkII adat'ed in
Sycraft
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 03:16:22 (permalink)
It is possible you just have amazing sensitivity to guitar sounds and sims can't meet it, but more likely there's something about your setup that's an issue. I find Amplitube 3 to be extremely good. So some possibilities:

1) Speakers. As noted, they need to be competent to reproduce the range of tones you want. If you have itty bitty desktop speakers that are competing with a huge guitar amp, well then they aren't going to sound near as good. So the question is, do your speakers sound good for guitar that's been recorded from an amp or not? If they sound good there, but not on the sim, then they probably aren't the problem. However if you mic and record an amp and the playback on your speakers is dissatisfying, well then that's likely the culprit.

2) For live guitar recording, the input matters. Do you have a proper input that is working well, and is setup for a guitar? This means capturing without digital distortion, or crackling, or skips or whatever. Make sure you check the dry track and that it sounds clean. If not, then you need to fix that. Also, a mic or line input isn't suitable for a guitar. Mic inputs are generally 600 ohms, line inputs in the 10k ohms range. Guitar inputs need to be like 400k ohms minimum and usually more around 1M ohm. If you don't have one of those really high impedance inputs it snarfs up the highs and sustain and makes your sound very dead. So you either need a card that has an input that can be switched to a high impedance mode for guitars, or you need a DI box to give the guitar a high impedance input and convert it to low impedance for your soundcard.

3) For sampled guitar, the quality of samples matters a lot. The Strawberry Electric Guitar is the one I've tried that makes me the happiest. Direct Guitar 3 is also decent, but noticeably inferior. So if you are using a sampled guitar and it isn't EEG Strawberry, maybe look at getting that. I particular if you are using samples they MUST be dry, feeding already amped signals in to an amp sim never gives good results in my experience.

4) Gain staging can matter with an amp sim. While with many FX gain doesn't matter much in the digital domain since floating point math allows for tons of headroom, that's not the case with amp sims. You need to make sure the signal level going in is appropriate, not too loud not too soft. Mess around with that some, see if it helps. I find a good sample like Strawberry is already at a good level, but others might not be.

5) If there's too much high harmonics for your taste, try what Craig Anderton suggested: Toss a steep EQ on the signal BEFORE it goes in to the amp sim. Put like a 48dB/oct lowpass filter at 4-5k using Pro Channel or another EQ before it goes in to the amp sim.

When given a good signal, I'm amazed at how good Amplitube sounds personally.
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 03:58:41 (permalink)
Don't know about Amplitude but Line 6 Pod Farm is very sensitive to input gain. What looks like a good track level is  2 hot for it. I had stopped using their DI because I thought the output level (clean track) was too low but recording a hotter track made the plug-in sound bad - off color & kind of lifeless. 

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 05:40:41 (permalink)
I have a long love/hate story with them. I own tons of them. Sometimes they work surprisingly well, others nothing I try will work.

I've learned not to draw any formal conclusion because I've heard people getting amazing results with each of them. 

IMHO, impulses often sound smoother but tend to be static - something you can compensate for by using multiple impulses, in part. By comparison, Amplitube's cab modelling is incredibly dynamic - but I'm not always so sure about the sound itself.

Though there are models I truly like - their Hiwatt, for example.

The problem is that, if you're not entirely satisfied with a sound, even if it's just that elusive little something that is missing, you'll start to analyze and soon enough, you're sucked into it and all you hear is those pesky details - which, often, aren't half as bad as we believe when we're over-analyzing it.

But it's hard not to fall in that trap.

Overall, I've had more consistent results w/ hardware, even though I'm rarely entirely happy w/ it.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 09:17:36 (permalink)
Rain, real amps have the same drawbacks. Especially, TUBES! Sometimes you turn them on and the angels sing and you turn 'em on the next day and they sound like crap. I have wrestled with getting good guitar sounds recorded my whole life. In the process I acquired dozens of amps, guitars, stomp boxes, guitar synths, etc.. Not to mention a collection of mics.
I go on record here, as I have said in the past: Nothing will ever beat a good tube amp with a high quality mic on the cab.
I learned from Tom Dowd and Les Paul the art of mic placement and that kind of thinking carries over to my use of amp sims. When I use amp sims I try to think along the lines of having the hardware sitting in front of me.
Amp sims are making pretty good leaps as far as getting more realistic.
Like you, I have quite a collection of amp sims and PODs and GTs. I am happiest right now with the full version of TH2. No, you don't have the capabilities of a Kemper or BIAS. But for what it is it fills the bill very well for me. Notice I say the full version. Everyone that knows my posts probably thinks I am a salesman for Overloud. I just know that my work became faster and I am happier with the results since using TH2. The Brunetti amps are worth the price!
I still pull out an amp and a mic from time to time when a client just has to have the REAL deal. Most times, I use TH2 and no one ever knows the difference. As a matter of fact, if I used Amplitube or GR or my PODs they wouldn't know the difference either.

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 11:14:18 (permalink)
Sidroe
I am happiest right now with the full version of TH2.

+1

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 11:36:08 (permalink)
Hmmm...I don't quite get the point of blaming the monitor speakers or the guitar here.
I assume the OP has made projects both with real amps and amp sims, through the very same monitors with the same guitar (how else would he know the difference?), finding the real thing good and sims less good (??). 
If he has not, then, the alternative is he's comparing commercial recordings vs. amp sim recordings of ones own, which resets the scales, obviously. Then you have room for questions about the cabs, mics, instruments etc.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 11:45:03 (permalink)
Kalle Rantaaho
Hmmm...I don't quite get the point of blaming the monitor speakers or the guitar here.
I assume the OP has made projects both with real amps and amp sims, through the very same monitors with the same guitar (how else would he know the difference?), finding the real thing good and sims less good (??). 
If he has not, then, the alternative is he's comparing commercial recordings vs. amp sim recordings of ones own, which resets the scales, obviously. Then you have room for questions about the cabs, mics, instruments etc.

Beat me to it. Amp sims are for recording, not for sounding like the real thing in your studio through your monitors. You wouldn't listen to Rory Gallagher through speakers and think "That doesn't sound like the real deal. Perhaps I need to hook my CD player to my amp cab" - lol!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 11:52:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2014/11/01 14:52:13
I love amp sims for the same reasons I love sampled drums: less work!

Much of the realism that you give up isn't the kind of realism you wanted anyway. Sims don't hum or crackle or pick up radio stations. You don't care what the room sounds like. No comb filtering. No bending over the speaker to find just the right sweet spot for the microphone. No tracks blown by somebody sneezing or tripping over a cable and bringing down a boom stand.  And best of all, nobody has to drag the thing up the stairs!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Guitarpima
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 13:46:39 (permalink)
Clearly, I have a lot to learn about them. I tend to think it's not my speakers as I know them so well now. I mostly use a Blackstar HT-5 using the emulated out into my OC. I am happy to use it but want to use the amp sims also. I am recording both a clean channel and the Blackstar but the clean channel ends up being archived and set aside.

Those of you who have good success with amp sims, does your AI have a dedicated guitar input? I wonder whether my problem is that my OC uses preamps. Inputs 1 and 2 have the button for it but I don't notice any difference in the signal I'm getting. Again, clearly I need to work with it more.

stevec
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 15:03:49 (permalink)
sharke
Kalle Rantaaho

Beat me to it. Amp sims are for recording, not for sounding like the real thing in your studio through your monitors. You wouldn't listen to Rory Gallagher through speakers and think "That doesn't sound like the real deal. Perhaps I need to hook my CD player to my amp cab" - lol!

For me a big factor in all of this is how the guitar feels and sounds while being recorded, and that typically happens through monitors.  The less the amp sim + chain helps you to play the part the way you want, the less the performance.  Regardless of what it sounds on playback after all is said and done.   At least that's always been my take on it.  

SteveC

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 15:23:04 (permalink)
Steve has a good point.
The tone/response affect how (and what) you play.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Sidroe
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 15:51:43 (permalink)
I think where most people get confused is they know how a guitar speaker cab sitting next to them should sound. That is not the way to HEAR the amp sim. When you hear a guitar track on a recording, CD, tape, etc., does it sound like the guitar cab sitting in your living room? Everyone together, NOOO!
It is sitting inside a mix of 32, 64, 512 tracks of other instruments. The sound has been massaged tone and volume- wise to sit in that mix and be heard. I bet that if you could sit in the mix room and hear that song with the guitar track soloed you would be shocked at how crappy it sounds on it's own. And it doesn't sound anywhere close to that half stack in your bedroom. These sims are produced mainly to help you get a great and fast sound for studio monitoring.
Fellow players picked at me about running direct in the PA at first. The typical "That don't sound like no amp" stuff. I got to where I would answer them by walking out front of the PA and saying "NOPE, It sounds like a fully tweaked amp with a world class mic on it without the hassle!"

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
Rain
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 16:38:56 (permalink)
stevec

For me a big factor in all of this is how the guitar feels and sounds while being recorded, and that typically happens through monitors.  The less the amp sim + chain helps you to play the part the way you want, the less the performance.  Regardless of what it sounds on playback after all is said and done.   At least that's always been my take on it.  

Ditto. 

Furthermore,  amp sims only offer a representation of the real thing. Depending on the case, it can work wonderfully. Or not at all. Smoke and mirror don't always work.

A typical scenario where it practically never works for me is when the arrangement is absolutely sparse and the guitar is the center of attention. Say a slow blues, à la Led Zeppelin, with a smooth, mildly overdriven tone and nothing but that guitar in the spotlight.

Typically, that's where amp sims fail me, because they just aren't pushing the sound the way a cranked up amp tube does. Something's missing, and it's not a matter of frequencies or distortion type - those can be mimic'ed satisfyingly. It's a matter of behaviour, of gain, of intensity, of density. 

In other contexts, they do work, perfectly. All of them.

I just finished a song using the Engl model on the POD HD, creating this amazing wall of guitars. Beautiful...

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 17:29:58 (permalink)
As an engineer, I like the way a real amp mic'ed sounds.  I'd much rather use that, even if I take off a dry line too.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Sidroe
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 17:44:22 (permalink)
As a musician, composer, engineer, and producer, I say, again "NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT THE SOUND OF A REAL DIALED IN TUBE AMP AND A WELL PLACED MIC!"
Amp sims are just some creative tools to fill a particular workflow. We can not write them off. They will be around a LONNNG time. Let's just hope they get better as we go. That's the most we can hope for.

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 18:04:13 (permalink)
Never say never.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 19:59:45 (permalink)
As a guy with some experience in the amp world I find sims to be amazing. They do stuff real amps can't do without causing a fire. In real life I'd never dream of driving a Marshall 800 into an SLO 100 while using a half dozen time based effects. Never going to happen, nope.

When I play a tube amp and speakers, I can really hear and feel the tone, it becomes very personal. What you are hearing determines how you will play, and dynamics really come into it. There's not that many controls so you focus on your technique to give different sounds. 

I had the flagship Line 6 2x12 combo the year they came out. Kind of like programming an old Korg M1 through a little LCD display. It made great sounds but in a live situation it would just disappear. Kind of like a photograph. When looking directly at it you see this great image. Turn it sideways and it disappears. I find most of the sims are like that. They are like playing a recorded sound. Because of this I don't interact with a sim the way I would with a live rig.

I have many of the major sims and I'm still looking. My JTM 45 gets no love in the apt. My new focus is a little thing I am calling the Producer series. Small tube amps designed to deliver the best clean I can make. They are almost hi-fi, but provide an excellent base track to work with. I can record with that and then tart it up with plugs if required.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Rain
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 21:45:39 (permalink)
Just stumbled upon this guy on YouTube, having lots of fun with cheap gear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KLpcqoZJE#t=113

I've heard people put up the most over the top critics about Marshall MG's. Hearing that fellow play one, you kind of forget about the cheap amp...

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/01 22:45:53 (permalink)
Like Frank Zappa once pronounced...weedly....weedly....spew. Amp or amp sim. Tone is relative. And subjective. In the extreme. And can be found for those seeking it...almost anywhere. Thank goodness.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Rain
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/02 00:41:01 (permalink)
Incidentally - I've just finished recording a cut using... My old POD 2. :/ It's actually what worked best for this part - better than my tube amp, better than my POD HD, better than all the software I've tried.

The idea had been bugging me for a couple of days, and tonight, tired of fiddling around I hooked it up. Voilà - I'm done, and enjoying an early break. :)

Jimmy Page school of music production - whatever works...

stevec
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/02 11:55:47 (permalink)
Rain

Jimmy Page school of music production - whatever works...

Word.  

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/02 12:18:02 (permalink)
I would have a hard time naming a bad amp sim. These days we have it good! My current favs are S-Gear and Amplitube, but I'm not into metal at all. If I were, maybe I would like Revalver more. Bias seems good with the little time I spent with it, but I'm very happy with my two choices.
post edited by clintmartin - 2014/11/02 13:16:33

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/02 13:08:55 (permalink)
Sidroe
As a musician, composer, engineer, and producer, I say, again "NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT THE SOUND OF A REAL DIALED IN TUBE AMP AND A WELL PLACED MIC!"

Except, of course, a well chosen amp sim.  In the mix you can't tell the difference if it's done right IMO.
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Will amp sims ever sound good? 2014/11/02 14:05:59 (permalink)
I read something somewhere, it may have been here or maybe on IK, I don't remember but it seemed like a good thing to remember.
It is that an amp sim program like Amplitude with virtual cabinet and microphone choices and placements deliver much more highs than a real amp and microphone. So tweaking the upper end or maybe a low pass fliter can make it sound more realistic. 
One thing is sure.. YOU are more critical of YOU than anyone else is unless they are jealous. 99% of listeners hear "a guitar". It is like worrying over your shoes, no one else cares... they are only thinking about their shoes. Now if your shoes have mud all over them and holes in the soles.. people may notice. Same with guitar sim/amp, most people will never know if you don't tell them. "Is it live or is it Memorex"? LOL

I guess YMMV but it's a something to try.
Jb

@ Rain I also read somewhere or saw an interview about Clapton's tone on the Layla album. I do not think it was direct from Dowd but IIRC from someone he told. Eric was into taking (IIRC) a SF Champ and laying it flat on the top of a Leslie cabinet. I don't remember what was said about the microphone placement. (It could have been a BF, but I'm pretty sure it was a SF but I know it was a Champ and they really changed very little from BF to SF). I want to say it was an Andy Johns interview but I'm not sure. Yeah, whatever works. I wonder how many players have multiple stacks onstage but are playing DI through a computer, POD, or some small amp miced back behind the fake stacks.

I've always thought this would sound good and it is an example:

Whatever works!!! LOL

post edited by jbow - 2014/11/02 14:17:46

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1