Helpful ReplyI Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am

Author
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
2014/11/01 09:22:40 (permalink)

I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am

but who cares?
Although, I've NEVER had to quit any band; I always get FIRED!
You know that phone call; "Uh, Tom uh the band had a meeting, uh"
"Hey, let me make this easy for ya. If I'm not fired, I QUIT!"
I've been on the road; but I'm BACK!
(I know, who cares!)

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/01 11:42:51 (permalink)
Welcome Back Tom.
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/01 13:49:32 (permalink)
i care...

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/01 15:23:48 (permalink)
You are one of us 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

DeeringAmps
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/02 07:30:05 (permalink)
Thanks all.
A little more embroidery to finish up and maybe I can get to some music!

T

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/03 08:56:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2014/11/03 11:01:05
"You see, we like the way you play, but we can't have someone on stage that no one would ever want to see. Ever."

"We're going to miss you and we'll never be able to replace you. By the way, this is Bo and he'll be filling in for you. Can you teach him how to play your part?"

"Um, who are you again?"

"We've decided to go in a different direction. We're not really sure what direction that will be, but we know it will take us far, far away from you."

"If it had been up to me, I'd have found a place for you somewhere in our band. I mean, we could have you wear a gorilla suit and sit in a cage, but our manager already promised that job to his nephew."

"It's not personal, dude. It's business. Except that in your case, it's totally personal."

"Okay, so check this out. I was like, 'No way Am I gonna stab my good friend in the back', you know? And then, the suit was like, 'I'm not paying for both of you.' And I was like, 'Whoa!' I mean, like, it's not everyday I get a chance to play at the grand opening of a new 7-Eleven, you know?"

"Man, you know that we are brothers and nothing could ever make us turn our backs on a band member. There is no force in the universe that could turn us against one another. Except for our wives, of course. They totally hate you. Sorry, man."

"Do you remember when you started this band and you brought us all together? That was great. We're all very glad to be in your band. Here's the thing. We'd like to continue being your band, but without you."

"Excellent news! The manager's nephew got a gig shoveling stalls at the stockyards, so the job with the gorilla suit is still open. When I say, 'job', I mean it's more of a volunteer position. Also, you have to show up to the gig in the costume because the rest of the band can't know that the gorilla is really you. See? I told you I'd find a way to keep you in the band."
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/03 10:03:31 (permalink)
"Do you remember when you started this band and you brought us all together? That was great. We're all very glad to be in your band. Here's the thing. We'd like to continue being your band, but without you."

We actually did this.
Then had the temerity to ask if we could still use his gear.
He let us use it, which really made us feel bad.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
UbiquitousBubba
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/03 10:24:42 (permalink)
You still used the gear, though, right?

Musicians will stoop to almost anything for gear. If the world ever really understood that, they would own us.
DeeringAmps
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/03 12:49:36 (permalink)
Again, The Coffee House has brightened my day!
my personal favorite!

T
gawd I hate running an embroidery machine!

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/04 07:10:02 (permalink)
DeeringAmps
gawd I hate running an embroidery machine!

I thought you were doing it by hand... 

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/04 07:41:51 (permalink)
I've been a party to that same conversation more than a few times.... and on the receiving end a number of those times.

The last time it came, (+/- 25yrs ago) I was playing in a house band and had been in the band for 2.5 years.... the call came on a Monday evening....since we had just had this conversation with another band member and no one would "man up" at the meeting.  After I got "my" call, I contemplated the decision to quit or to beg as others had done. Tuesday after work, I stopped by the club, entered in my usual way (through the bathroom window) opened the door and removed all my gear from the stage and the sound rack.  I didn't call them  or inform them.... I figured that they would find out and have enough time to make a plan from Wed evening (normal rehearsal) to Friday at 9pm.  I figured they could dig up enough songs for the singer to cover the entire show by himself..... we had 3 singers originally, but one had already quit some time back.

the call was not unexpected since there had been the classic signs of a band in serious trouble for quite some time. More then the normal grumbling about other band members, one of the 3 singers and a second keyboard player as well quit out of the blue, people missing rehearsals, and then half the band wanting to fire the other guitar player then backing off when confronted when he asked "So.... what's this all about?"

Oh yeah, after I removed my gear, I left a sign that said....... I QUIT!!!  the one with that now classic little boy in a picture doing the deed on the words I quit.... I think they got the message.  They didn't call me about the "I quit" issue, so they must have been serious about that or relieved that they didn't have to confront me like they did with the other guitar player...... but they did get the sound guy to call about the missing rack gear.  I told him that I was borrowing "my" portion of the gear for a few days but they could buy my ownership share at any time for what I had in it.   He showed up the next day with cash in hand.

The band continued on for several more months before it went down in flames. They started rotating member in and out, fired or quit, more often than a McDonalds fry-man job. I got out before the real problems started. I remained friends with most of the band and several told me after the fact that they wished they had quit at about that same time because things got really bad there towards the end.

Once you start to see those signs, and we all know them now..... time to move on.

The good thing is that you can't get fired from here.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
UbiquitousBubba
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/04 09:28:14 (permalink)
Signs you may be in a bad band...
  1. Claiming you play anything "just like the record"
  2. 80% of rehearsal time spent re-tuning, 10% arguing Zeppelin vs. Tull, and 10% trying to find the singer
  3. Asking, "what do you mean, 'Rehearsal'?"
  4. Any band member's girlfriend/boyfriend is the "Manager"
  5. Every time you're about to start a song, one guy asks, "How does that go, again?"
  6. The drummer drops his sticks and the band suddenly sounds better
  7. The rhythm guitarist may only know five chords, but his hair is perfect
  8. You're the only member of the band who actually shows up for a gig
  9. Your bassist cancels at the last minute and then you catch him playing at another band's gig
  10. The one and only reason to keep the singer is because he owns the PA
  11. It costs more money to photocopy the set list than the band will earn at the gig
  12. The band outnumbers the crowd
  13. The club manager stops the gig early because it's time for Karaoke Night
  14. The keyboardist plays a different song from the rest of the band and no one can tell
  15. 4 musicians, playing in 6 different keys, at 128 different tempos, in 1 song
  16. Every song features the same 10 minute guitar solo
  17. Falling down gets the most positive audience reaction
  18. The band returns for the second set and plays the first set again because they didn't think they'd make it that far
  19. The drummer breaks a head, a cymbal, several sticks and a drum mic on the first song
  20. The rhythm guitarist plays half of the night before realizing his guitar was unplugged the entire time

These are just some that come to mind. There are many more.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/04 13:47:32 (permalink)
21.  One of the band members uses a DJ setup

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
UbiquitousBubba
Re: I Am NOT: Fred, Fried, Fired or Am 2014/11/04 14:00:50 (permalink)
22. The dancers on stage outnumber the band
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1