Older product requesition

Author
Smoke Fumus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2014/11/02 17:09:54 (permalink)

Older product requesition

Here's the deal. Few months ago i bought music creator 6 touch through steam, (along with z3ta+ 2 and gtgd s2).
To my disappointment interface is a complete piece of unintuitive crap which barely resemble older cakewalk products i am used to. 
My question is - can i request Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 license or something? I mean do you run downgrade program, akin to Microsoft one? 

12 Replies Related Threads

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/02 17:23:33 (permalink)
    If this is a serious question, I think the answer is no.

The new Skylight UI is much better than PA9.

I don't know if PA9would run in Win8?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Smoke Fumus
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/02 17:24:40 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Grem

Well, first of all - i am running windows 7. And second - yes it works there. Third. I don't know what you talking about. Skylight UI is ****. 
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/02 19:12:03 (permalink)
    Smoke Fumus
    Grem

Well, first of all - i am running windows 7. And second - yes it works there. Third. I don't know what you talking about. Skylight UI is ****. 

The skylight UI is the chosen designation for the UI overhaul Cakewalk did when it introduced the X series.

In any case, I doubt they will sell you a PA9.  You are not the first person and not the last that prefers older interface.  No matter how they made the interface there will always be a few. It's not worthwhile for companies to sell old products.  If anything they are trying to phase out legacy products.
    Smoke Fumus
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/02 19:16:47 (permalink)
    dubdisciple

The skylight UI is the chosen designation for the UI overhaul Cakewalk did when it introduced the X series.

In any case, I doubt they will sell you a PA9.  You are not the first person and not the last that prefers older interface.  No matter how they made the interface there will always be a few. It's not worthwhile for companies to sell old products.  If anything they are trying to phase out legacy products.

Except that i am not asking for just selling it to me - i already bought new product and contributed salary for the jobs in company, i am just asking for a downgrade package. 
    Main reason of phasing out older products is that - if company will not make anything new - it will put people out of jobs. So it makes sense to phase out direct sales of older products and replace them with new ones. 

However - this cycle is vicious because if newer product sucks, people will refuse to buy it or will be disappointed in it so, they will spread the word and hacksaw sales. So why not just include "PA9" into the package to newer product. It's a win-win - company makes new products but if you don't like em - you can always legally use old and time-tested ones. 
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/02 19:55:36 (permalink)
    Smoke Fumus
    dubdisciple

Except that i am not asking for just selling it to me - i already bought new product and contributed salary for the jobs in company, i am just asking for a downgrade package. 
    Main reason of phasing out older products is that - if company will not make anything new - it will put people out of jobs. So it makes sense to phase out direct sales of older products and replace them with new ones. 

However - this cycle is vicious because if newer product sucks, people will refuse to buy it or will be disappointed in it so, they will spread the word and hacksaw sales. So why not just include "PA9" into the package to newer product. It's a win-win - company makes new products but if you don't like em - you can always legally use old and time-tested ones. 

Nothing win-win about regressing that far back.  The unreasonable aspect of your request in my opinion is you are asking for them to offer a version that is 12 versions back and that is not even including major in between updates. You are talking about a product that was new when windos 95 was still the OS of choice.  I'm sure they would have figured out by 12 versions whether there was a huge backlash.  If they release that option, they have to actively support it. The cost of developing a new version of old software benefits nobody except you and a few people like you.  And yes, they would have to develop a new version because  odds of that program running glitch free  are slim without some major changes.  You are better off digging through ebay or craigslist to find an old unused package you could install.
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/02 22:03:18 (permalink)
    Smoke Fumus
    To my disappointment interface is a complete piece of unintuitive crap which barely resemble older cakewalk products i am used to

Which products?

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    Smoke Fumus
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/04 07:05:26 (permalink)
    Brando
    Smoke Fumus
    To my disappointment interface is a complete piece of unintuitive crap which barely resemble older cakewalk products i am used to

Which products?

Cakewalk 2.0, 3.0 and pro audio - i worked with those mostly and they were pretty much all i need to work with midi directly - for DAW stuff i use Fl studio anyway. 
    lawp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1154
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/04 07:54:09 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Smoke Fumusthis cycle is vicious

welcome to modern software

sstteerreeoo ffllllaanngge
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/05 09:20:30 (permalink)
    lawp

Very true...    I wonder if any of the major DAWs resemble their ancestors from a decade + ago.  

As to the OP, it seems like a fairly random request to specifically have a PA9 license included with new SONAR purchases.   Not with SONAR 1, which was the major transition point from PA, but SONAR X3 all this time later...   I also have to wonder how many users would actually prefer any version of PA over SONAR X (or even 8.5).

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Smoke Fumus
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/05 09:44:59 (permalink)
    stevec
    lawp

Very true...    I wonder if any of the major DAWs resemble their ancestors from a decade + ago.  

As to the OP, it seems like a fairly random request to specifically have a PA9 license included with new SONAR purchases.   Not with SONAR 1, which was the major transition point from PA, but SONAR X3 all this time later...   I also have to wonder how many users would actually prefer any version of PA over SONAR X (or even 8.5).

You see - PA is a MIDI composer software. It barely had grasp of DirectX plugins, no VST support. By all means - it is kinda objectively worse than CW2-CW3 but still pretty solid for pure midi workstation software. 
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/05 15:38:50 (permalink)
    Oh, I know what PA9 is/was.  I'm just trying to imagine the (very?) limited target audience that something like this might reach...    But hey, this is the Features & Ideas forum so anything goes!  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Older product requesition 2014/11/06 00:50:00 (permalink)
    SF, maybe you can get someone to trade you a copy of PA9 for.your copy of X3. Then get a PC with the os to run it and your good to go.

And I am trying to help by giving you ideas to try. I loved PA9. Stayed with it till I finally upgrade my os and then went with Sonar 5, and haven't looked back.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1