RME Recording Goes South

Author
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
2014/11/17 18:51:22 (permalink)

RME Recording Goes South

I ran sound for this band through my RME at a party Saturday night recording with RME DigiCheck and mixing with RME TotalMix. The recording is 4.5 hours long. This song is about 1 hour into the recording. I had forgotten to set the computer into presentation mode and this may have been a problem.

http://stabilitynetwork.blob.core.windows.net/g-tunes/20141115_AT_04_JackARoe.mp3

In this recording, there are skips and all kinds of goofiness.
At 19 seconds into the song, audio is omitted.
1:18 audio repeats
1:30 repeated skipping
1:40 it gets really bad

I'm guessing there must have been hard drive contention from something.
There was no indication of a problem in RME DigiCheck (latest version) or RME TotalMix. There was no audible problem in the room with the monitors or the Mains.
I'm grateful DigiCheck didn't drop out. Latency was at the max. It was a 24 bit 48 recording of all 8 analog inputs. the 8 digital outputs were looped back into the 8 digital inputs for effect stacking then routing to analog outs 3+4 and 5+6 monitors and mains respectively.
I'm curious for thoughts.
I'm still listening to the rest of the recording, but this song seems the only one with problems.

At some point in the evening I did notice that the drive load climbed to around 15% (there is a drive load meter in RME DigiCheck) and I thought it was very unusual, but I couldn't explain it. The increased drive activity may have occurred during this song. I don't know.

Normally, I do the Windows button+X then B, and set the computer into presentation mode (laptop only). At one hour into the show, I may have stopped messing with the computer as much and perhaps it started building an index or something? I don't know. At some point, I remembered to set it presentation mode.

All 8 recorded tracks skip and glitch in unison.

It occurs to me that it would be cool if Sonar had a "Continue at all costs" setting. DigiCheck always continues despite failures. Sonar never does. There are times when either is appropriate. I wonder if I would forgo DigiCheck for Sonar if it had such a setting. It would be nice to see the wave forms scrolling across track-view during long sessions.

DigiCheck writes all audio to a single file (reducing drive load) and loses only seconds on power failure. Sonar would have to be as good for me to switch.

This is a description of the Presentation Mode I'm talking about...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/adjust-settings-before-giving-a-presentation

post edited by gswitz - 2014/11/17 20:23:18

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.

2 Replies Related Threads

rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: RME Recording Goes South 2014/11/21 12:33:42 (permalink)
    At least it seems it could be edited easily.  It is a good assumption that there was a hard drive communication error.  A few months ago I began to experience recording issues and audio errors, replacing the hard drive fixed the problem.  I would try recording to a good external 7200RPM or SSD drive live Glyph.  And of course make sure your computer is not on a power saving mode.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: RME Recording Goes South 2014/11/21 17:52:18 (permalink)
    Yeah, this was just me messing up. It doesn't matter how many years I do it, I can still mess it up.

I only seem to have hurt one song in the recording, and I'm a volunteer, so...

But I feel so good about it when I have no issues. Such a bummer when I do.

During the gig, I said to a friend that I didn't care how it sounds at the gig as long as I can make it sound great at home, but the truth is I care a ton. I do my best. It's hard to dial in a band correctly and quickly in a live situation. Even by the end of the night, it's still hard. I was tweaking EQs and adjusting compressors throughout the night trying to get a great sound.

I thought it sounded pretty good at times, but, idk. I'm not a great sound man.

Thanks for posting back btw. I was mostly just venting.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1