Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
200bpm
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
2014/11/21 21:38:08 (permalink)

Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping)

Some questions about stereo tracks used for reamping.

What I would like to do is create stereo tracks, the left side is the DI, the right side is the miked signal.  I like to work this way because it keeps clips organized.

1) When recording a stereo track, is there a way to assign the left and right with non-contiguous inputs?  The DI and mic pre are not a stereo pair.

2) In SONAR, how would I take the R signal and center it?  (Also need to mute the left)  Basically I need to have independent pan control of the right channel asif it was a mono track.

3) Is there a facility to link clips together so that when one is copied/moved, so is the other?

i7 4790K @ 4.8/1.325v Gigabyte Z97X-ud3h, 16GB DDR3 2300, RME UFX, Sonar 3Xe

42 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/21 22:12:43 (permalink)
    1) Need more info - what kind of interface, what kind of outputs from the gear. For example, with the TASCAM US-2x2 or Roland Octa-Capture, the inputs are mono but paired. So for example, you would plug your DI into input 1, your mic pre into input 2, then select inputs 1+2 in SONAR to have one on the left and one on the right.

2) The Channel Tools plug-in will do what you want and more.

3) Sounds like Selection Groups is what you want. This seems to be a SONAR feature a lot of people overlook.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/21 22:40:46 (permalink)
    "What I would like to do is create stereo tracks, the left side is the DI, the right side is the miked signal.  I like to work this way because it keeps clips organized."

With most DAWs you can set up your I/O, or Ins and Outs with just about any routing matrix that you can dream up, and you can even name the In and Outs with the exact names you wish to see when you are selecting inputs on your tracks. For example; you can use analog input 1 and analog input 5 and assign them as a pair which you name "Guitar", and you can record input 1 and input 5 as a "stereo" (I'd prefer to call it a dual mono) track. As you say, this can be a convenient way to keep the tracks organized.

Sadly, you can't do this with SONAR.

You can't even name the ins and outs in SONAR and see the exact name you have assigned. You can name the inputs and the outputs but what you'll see is your name with extra labeling attached. Stuff like "Left" or "Right".

It's a bummer, and It's been like this for close to twenty years. Some folks are so used to it, they don't notice the inconvenience. I am am reminded of how much friendlier the other DAWs are each time I use one.

There's something really cool about about plugging a mic in to the XLR connector labeled analog "input 2" on your hardware and then assigning analog "input 2" in your DAW's track. Simple. Sensible. Easy to remember. 

The work around for you will be to record two tracks as MONO and then convert or bounce them to "stereo" two tracks. You'll probably grow tried of that, so maybe you can consider using a folder as an organizational aid. It will waste a lot more screen real estate... but that's another story.

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/21 23:18:09 (permalink)
    200bpm
    ...What I would like to do is create stereo tracks, the left side is the DI, the right side is the miked signal...
    ...how would I take the R signal and center it?  (Also need to mute the left)  Basically I need to have independent pan control of the right channel asif it was a mono track...

If you have a stereo track with DI left and mic right, you can set the track to mono (by clicking the Interleave button, which is visible in Console View or in the Track Inspector). Use clip automation (i.e. clip pan) to control the balance between DI'd and mic'd signals.

On the other hand, if you want to use the two signals separately, you can Bounce To Tracks and select the option Split Mono.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Anderton
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/21 23:24:34 (permalink)
    mike_mccue
    Some folks are so used to it, they don't notice the inconvenience.

Another possibility is that the need to do this is sufficiently rare that few people care. It's up to the OP to decide if "You would plug your DI into input 1, your mic pre into input 2, then select inputs 1+2 in SONAR to have one on the left and one on the right" is that much of an inconvenience. As far as I can tell he's talking about 2 mono sources.

For me it doesn't matter because regardless of what DAW I use, I have enough audio interface inputs that everything's patched in and I don't need a patch bay. That setup also makes SONAR's Selected Track Inputs feature a useful time-saver.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/21 23:38:21 (permalink)
    The part many people no longer notice is that in SONAR an XLR input labeled "analog input 2" on your hardware will show up as something like "Right analog input 1" in your SONAR input selection dialogs.

After the first 15 years, you kinda get used to it. ;-)

Regardless of how few people may care to do something, doing exactly what the OP has asked about, "When recording a stereo track, is there a way to assign the left and right with non-contiguous inputs?", is easy and breezy in the other 3 DAWs I use and it's easy in a few DAWs I don't use. You just set up the I/O to suit the way you wish to work.

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/21 23:41:50 (permalink)
    I think the track assignment system is a ASIO driver issue, not Sonar. I get the exact same list in Cubase. 
    It certainly has never bothered me, I don't even think about it. If I plug into input #2 I will assign  Right #1 as the track input. 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 07:29:24 (permalink)
    Arguably this routing matrix is a function of the hardware interface rather than the DAW. The reason it isn't in SONAR is because many professional audio interfaces provide such a matrix that allows you to group channels into logical DAW inputs or outputs. RME, MOTU and Lynx are some that come to mind.
    I havent really seen a lot of requests for this matrix functionality in SONAR probably for the same reasons.. Also I can see the use case but it isn't such a common requirement to want to record non contiguous channels into a single stereo wave. The question to the OP would be why not use contiguous channels on your audio interface - is there something preventing you from doing so?
    post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2014/11/22 07:36:50

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 07:43:50 (permalink)
    What is wrong with having the tracks as mono next to one another? Name each what you want. They are mono anyway.

I don't see a reason to use stereo.  

Best
    John
    Anderton
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 10:04:59 (permalink)
    As I've mentioned before, I use Ableton Live for live performance and consider it a very innovative program. However, it's the worst program for hardware assignments because there is no way to change the labeling. If you have an input with a ton of I/O, often the master L/R will be considered output 1+2. So what's labeled output 1 is what Live considers 3. Every time I test a new interface with Live, I have to plug things into different inputs and outputs, and enable inputs and outputs in Live one at a time so I can draw up a chart of what relates to what.

As to a matrix input, I agree with Noel...most interfaces have applets to do the routing, and handle situations unique to particular interfaces. Personally, I find setting up a matrix within a DAW annoying. It's simpler for me just to assign a track to an input.

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 11:38:44 (permalink)
    Interesting thread, and no insight beyond what has been mentioned - just a comment and follow on question.

I can understand the OP's logic to an extent, but can also envision a can of worms associated with such. If I look at a "stereo" signal, I would confuse myself mixing and matching, and wonder about how effects would work for mixing? Never done this, so just scratching my head here. With unlimited tracks, names, and colors, I am wondering what dual mono buys someone.

For my own edification, wouldn't these need to be split to mix anyway? The workflow is confusing me, I guess.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    200bpm
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 15:56:53 (permalink)
    Anderton
    mike_mccue
    Some folks are so used to it, they don't notice the inconvenience.

Another possibility is that the need to do this is sufficiently rare that few people care. It's up to the OP to decide if "You would plug your DI into input 1, your mic pre into input 2, then select inputs 1+2 in SONAR to have one on the left and one on the right" is that much of an inconvenience. As far as I can tell he's talking about 2 mono sources.

For me it doesn't matter because regardless of what DAW I use, I have enough audio interface inputs that everything's patched in and I don't need a patch bay. That setup also makes SONAR's Selected Track Inputs feature a useful time-saver.

I can workaround this because I have a UFX.  I could even use loopback to move inputs/output.  However, I make heavy use of the four mic pres, and if I want a DI/mic stereo input pair, I need to give up one of the mic pres for use as a DI.

I am returning to Sonar after 10-15 years, but from an "outsiders" perspective, this is one of those things that NEEDS to be changed.  Long time users are probably used to it, but people coming from other daws will think "amateur hour."  Thats just how I see it.

I also dislike how sonar prepends left, right, stereo.  My interface has twelve independent analog inputs, none of them are stereo unless I say they are.. .

OTH, the Channel Tools is a nice feature.

Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 17:50:52 (permalink)
    >>However, I make heavy use of the four mic pres, and if I want a DI/mic stereo input pair, I need to give up one of the mic pres for use as a DI.

OK I get why you want non contiguous channels. Since you have a UFX I think this can easily be done by using Totalmix to route the specific input channels you want to a contiguous pair of DAW inputs. Is there some reason why this doesn't work for you?

SONAR supports multiple driver models - ASIO/WDM/WASAPI and some of these only support stereo channels. From the DAW point of view all inputs are treated as stereo pairs. This is the reason for the stereo grouping historically. 

Noel Borthwick
    200bpm
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 18:02:10 (permalink)
    John
    What is wrong with having the tracks as mono next to one another? Name each what you want. They are mono anyway.

Because having a track with miced signal and the DI so it can be reamped makes everything easier to organize.  It gets even more complicated with a second mic.

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 18:04:15 (permalink)
    John

It's convenient in a situation where you are recording lots of takes in take lanes and you want to use both of either dry & wet or mic'd & DI signals. Matching up two sets of take lanes, even on adjacent tracks, can be a bit mind boggling.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    200bpm
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 18:04:48 (permalink)
    >>However, I make heavy use of the four mic pres, and if I want a DI/mic stereo input pair, I need to give up one of the mic pres for use as a DI.

OK I get why you want non contiguous channels. Since you have a UFX I think this can easily be done by using Totalmix to route the specific input channels you want to a contiguous pair of DAW inputs. Is there some reason why this doesn't work for you?

SONAR supports multiple driver models - ASIO/WDM/WASAPI and some of these only support stereo channels. From the DAW point of view all inputs are treated as stereo pairs. This is the reason for the stereo grouping historically. 

I'll look into what totalmix can do.  I believe I will have to do a loopback but Totalmix always surprises me, maybe there is this feature built in.

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 21:05:47 (permalink)
    From the RME spec sheet: 
    12 Inputs. 8 balanced TRS on the back and 4 XLR inputs with mic/instrument preamps on the front.

I really don't see what your upset about, Your original question was if you could re amp and bring back both a miked and a DI signal. And that these 2 signals would then become 2 new mono? tracks in Sonar. Is this correct? 
    If so you have inputs up the wazoo and therefore is easy to set this up. 
    If what I'm understanding is some weird desire to have input 1 and input 9 become a stereo track, then **** at your interfaces ASIO drivers not Sonar. Sonar can only select inputs set by the driver. 
    post edited by johnnyV - 2014/11/22 21:39:27

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 395
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 22:07:07 (permalink)
    200bpm
    Some questions about stereo tracks used for reamping.

What I would like to do is create stereo tracks, the left side is the DI, the right side is the miked signal.  I like to work this way because it keeps clips organized.

Some of our heavy duty artists use this method for Reamping. You're not alone!

200bpm
    1) When recording a stereo track, is there a way to assign the left and right with non-contiguous inputs?  The DI and mic pre are not a stereo pair.

Yes, your inputs should be listed as Stereo, Left, and Right for a single pair. Left acts as the odd number in the pair and Rights acts as the even number in the pair. So Inputs 1 would be: Inputs 1-2 (Left) and Input 2 would be Inputs 1-2(Right). Obviously Inputs 1-2(Stereo) is both.

200bpm
    2) In SONAR, how would I take the R signal and center it?  (Also need to mute the left)  Basically I need to have independent pan control of the right channel asif it was a mono track.

Check out the Channel Tools plugin. It has the ability to do this when you insert it on a stereo track that has the DI Signal in the left and mic signal in the right.

200bpm
    3) Is there a facility to link clips together so that when one is copied/moved, so is the other?

There is, yes. Check out the Clip Groups.
    200bpm
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 22:46:08 (permalink)
    johnnyV
    From the RME spec sheet: 
    12 Inputs. 8 balanced TRS on the back and 4 XLR inputs with mic/instrument preamps on the front.

I really don't see what your upset about, Your original question was if you could re amp and bring back both a miked and a DI signal. And that these 2 signals would then become 2 new mono? tracks in Sonar. Is this correct? 
    If so you have inputs up the wazoo and therefore is easy to set this up. 
    If what I'm understanding is some weird desire to have input 1 and input 9 become a stereo track, then **** at your interfaces ASIO drivers not Sonar. Sonar can only select inputs set by the driver. 

I use all of the mic preamps.  If I want to have one of the DIs next to another preamp, that means I have to use the preamp as a DI, and I loose one of my preamps.

Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/22 23:58:56 (permalink)
    Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
    Yes, your inputs should be listed as Stereo, Left, and Right for a single pair. Left acts as the odd number in the pair and Rights acts as the even number in the pair. So Inputs 1 would be: Inputs 1-2 (Left) and Input 2 would be Inputs 1-2(Right). Obviously Inputs 1-2(Stereo) is both.

Dan he wants to use non contiguous inputs to record to a single stereo track so he cant do that in SONAR.
    I know Totalmix allows internally routing inputs to arbitrary hardware outs but I'm not sure if it allows arbitrary routing of inputs to DAW channels...

Noel Borthwick
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/23 07:56:41 (permalink)
    Hi Noel,
     Thanks for explaining that this constraint in SONAR is not a constraint of all of the drivers SONAR can use but rather it is a constraint imposed by just some of the Windows drivers that SONAR can use.

This reminds me of all the lively Soundblaster debates that used to occur here. :-)

Speaking for myself, I have used ASIO drivers on SONAR for the past decade or more, so it has long been a circumstance where I have known that it was possible to not have to think of each input as part of some pair. I the meantime, I have frequently observed misplaced explanations that this constraint must be accepted as an imposition forced by hardware and drivers, so it is refreshing to encounter an accurate explanation that points out where and why the limitation exists.

One thing I have never understood, is that even if stereo inputs in SONAR can only be made up of odd/even pairs when using the Windows drivers, why does SONAR's mono input naming convention force the use of the Left and Right appendages. The friendly names don't seem to have anything to do with any constraints of the driver. They just seem like some sort of arbitrary legacy. It seems as if the "left" and "right" labels could remain behind the scenes, so to speak, and users should be able to name their mono inputs what ever they want and expect to see exactly what they choose for a name in a list of mono inputs. Why is it not Easy and Breezy?

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/23 08:21:40 (permalink)
    @200bpm, I'm a RME UCX user. I now use the fiber cable that came with the interface to loopback all ADAT channels for live monitoring. It's kinda useful. I know you know about the loopback button on a pair of outputs, but when you use that button the inputs cannot be routed again to the hardware outputs. If you use the fiber cable to loopback the ADAT channels, you can loop back as many times as you want (stacking the eqs and compressors). Just at tip.

Using my RME UCX, the only way to conjoin two non contiguous tracks into a stereo track in Sonar is to loopback (either using ADAT fiber or the Totalmix Loopback button) or record as mono tracks and bounce to stereo.

@200BPm, you can save snapshots and workspaces in Totalmix to bring them back up quickly. Remember the Total Reset under options - reset mix.

Lastly, if you aren't using RME DigiCheck, you should totally check it out!! Things I use regularly in Digi Check are the Spectral Analyzer, the Vector Scope, the EBU Meter, and Global Record. Global record is really worth checking out for making live recordings where you do all your mixing in Total Mix. No need to mess with Sonar until the show is captured. It writes all the audio data to a single file and it writes it very efficiently. Saves me a ton of time and headache when I'm not going to be monitoring anything out of Sonar.

Also, thanks for suggesting the organization of the two tracks into a stereo pair. It'd never considered doing this before your post and I can appreciate it as a good way to keep the two together and organized.

I mainly use a track template for recording the guitar which has the direct input, left and right stereo track for my Roland GR20 outputs and a midi track. I love that you can group the midi with the audio. Set this under preferences > Project > Record > Multi-Track Grouping - (I use group only in folders).

Using Multi-Track Grouping allows you to edit across many tracks (not just 2) splitting, cropping, nudging etc. Or using Fast Comp tools.
    post edited by gswitz - 2014/11/23 08:29:43

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/23 08:37:34 (permalink)
    Its because the driver input names as exposed in preferences are *already* grouped as stereo pairs.
    So even if you provide a friendly name there it represents a stereo input. The Left/Right/Stereo prefix in the UI lets the user distinguish between the left or right channel in the pair. 

When the friendly names feature was done many years ago, it was stereo centric since it had to work for all the driver modes not just ASIO. I do agree this convention is not ideal for ASIO drivers since you might want an explicit name for the mono channel itself. The way to do this would be to allow defining per mono channel friendly names rather than stereo channel names as we have today. Then the UI can list the user defined names directly and there would be no need for the Left/Right prefix. Would this proposal address this specific naming problem? 

We have plans to improve the overall naming conventions used across SONAR so I'll add this to the list for then.  
    This doesn't address the OP's concern however since he wants to be able to pick arbitrary mono inputs and turn them into a single stereo pair. That would be a much bigger undertaking since would require a routing matrix like driver control panels provide. In terms of value it seems like a bit of a corner case use so I'm not sure its worth the cost for such a configuration feature. Heck if even RME's Totalmix from hell doesn't handle this scenario it must be a bit of a corner case :)
    I do see the specific need for it in his case however although its fairly simple to combine two mono tracks into a stereo pair later in SONAR.

Noel Borthwick
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/23 09:03:09 (permalink)
    Hi Noel, Yes, I agree that a discussion about the friendly names doesn't address the OPs concerns.

The work arounds choices for the OP have already been described.

1) Record as dual mono and bounce to stereo after the fact. This is probably worth the trouble if you really value your screen real estate.

2) Record as dual mono and open Tools>*audio editor of choice* and convert one of the mono tracks to stereo with the signal on one "side" and add the other track to the empty side. YUCK.

3) Use Pro Tools, Cubase, Studio One or Reaper to record the guitar track and then import the track in to SONAR.

4) Use some sort of loop back routing with your hardware so instead of using two of the driver's inputs you use four

@bpm200, One thing we should mention for the benefit of readers is that direct signals and signals from a mic'ed amp often exhibit different "times of arrival". One can either leave the signals with the relative offset or endeavor to align them so that there is no timing offset. I imagine you know this from your experience but it occurs to me that it should be acknowledged that the two discrete channels in a two track such as you are describing will either have, or not have, a relative timing offset depending on if, and or where, you make a choice about whether you will adjust, or not adjust, for the offset. 

200bpm
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/23 10:32:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for everyone's response(s).   

200bpm
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/23 10:38:35 (permalink)
    mike,
    I don't notice any effective delay.  Because the miked signal is a real amplifier, there is no additional latency added.  When I later reamp with multi-mics, I arrange the mics so that there are no phase issues.

Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/23 10:41:44 (permalink)
    mike_mccue
    @bpm200, One thing we should mention for the benefit of readers is that direct signals and signals from a mic'ed amp often exhibit different "times of arrival". One can either leave the signals with the relative offset or endeavor to align them so that there is no timing offset. I imagine you know this from your experience but it occurs to me that it should be acknowledged that the two discrete channels in a two track such as you are describing will either have, or not have, a relative timing offset depending on if, and or where, you make a choice about whether you will adjust, or not adjust, for the offset. 

This is actually an argument for NOT recording this way since you have less control - the two channels are embedded in one clip now so editing the offset will be problematic. I think you have far more flexibility by recording as two discrete channels rather than a single stereo track. Since one of the channels is the reamp channel you are shooting yourself in the foot doing this, since the effects you put on the track later will process both channels which is probably not what you want in this scenario since one channel is reamped.
    Since your main reason for having a stereo track seems to be to save real estate it seems that putting the two tracks into a folder would handle your requirement better. 

Noel Borthwick
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/23 10:46:07 (permalink)
    Hi 200bpm, I was trying to leave lots of room for the idea that there are many ways to either address the timing offset or perhaps not even worry about it.

The idea that you address the timing during the Reamp process seems like a very natural way to do it. Thanks for explaining. 

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/23 10:51:03 (permalink)
    mike_mccue
    @bpm200, One thing we should mention for the benefit of readers is that direct signals and signals from a mic'ed amp often exhibit different "times of arrival"...

...This is actually an argument for NOT recording this way since you have less control - the two channels are embedded in one clip now so editing the offset will be problematic. 

If it is a concern, there are several ways to achieve time alignment on the way in.

For example; This is a popular device found in recording studios: http://www.littlelabs.com/redeye.html

Making arguments about how not to record doesn't seem as productive as making recording seem easy and fun.

Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Stereo Track Trickery!? (Reamping) 2014/11/23 10:53:55 (permalink)
    I understand. However it looks like the benefit to recording a single stereo wave with a reamp and normal channel seems more trouble than its worth. Rather than allowing for something like this, perhaps the community would be better served by us adding some UI and editing features to allow dealing with multiple mono track groups better.

Noel Borthwick
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1