Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation!

Author
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
2014/11/18 22:01:14 (permalink)

Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation!

Deceptive topic title, but I'm kind of jazzed and wanted to point it out to my friends here on the forum.

So, this is about a Groove3 tutorial.   (Good timing because Groove3 has its half off sale through Nov).

Although the $99/year deal is a killer value, I tend to purchase and download Groove3 tutorials of interest (especially if they are half off) so that I can view them while not connected to the Internet.  I transfer them to an iPad where they look and navigate great.

A couple years ago I obtained this great tutorial on putting together a Pop Song by this guy named Kenny Gioia.  He's brilliant.

That tutorial is absolutely excellent.  It gives all kinds of insight into getting a song to work as a pop song. 

The problem with that tutorial for me though is that it is demonstrated on Pro Tools.  So as a Sonar fan, I can't exactly care about the clicks and menu choices he demonstrates while giving out all that great info of building a pop song.

So, I watched it once a couple years ago and marveled at how great the tutorial was.  But I didn't have the heart to watch it again and revisit the Pro Tools aspect.  So I let it sit even though I knew it was great and needed a revisit.

Revelation!

When the iPhone 6 came out it was time for me to finally upgrade to a new phone so I went for the iPhone 6.  It has more GB of storage on it than my previous iPhone.  So I put a few of my less important Groove3 tutorials on it in case I ever got stuck somewhere with nothing to do.   Kind of a small screen for viewing the stuff, but I had the space to store them there.

Many people nowadays have a blue tooth or some kind of connection between their smart phone and their car radio.

Today for fun on a longer commute I called up the Mixing Pop Groove3 tutorial I've been mentioning while driving.  Not for watching the tutorial, but just for listening.  I figured that maybe I could try to get at least something out of just listening to Kenny's explanation.

I was amazed at how great of an "audio book" that tutorial is.  By only listening it completely removed the Pro Tools layer.  In the video Kenny explains step by step how to flesh out a straw dog start of a song into a full fledged pop song, and speaks to the why, and what he's adding, and then lets you hear each step.  It's a very clear audio explanation.  I could listen and imagine exactly how I would be able to follow those same ideas in Sonar.

To top it off, the tutorial is truly exceptional.  He nails very succinctly step by step how to make a pop song pop with catchiness.

So, to end this long post, I highly recommend downloading that tutorial, sticking it on your smart phone, and listening to it while driving around.  And it's half off this month only.  Here's the exact name of the tutorial and a blip about it from Groove3:

Music Production w/Pro Tools Vol 1 - Pop

Kenny Gioia is a multi-platinum producer and engineer who has worked with countless name acts. In this exciting new series, he shows you his method for creating a professional, radio-ready Pop music production, out of nothing more than a rough guide vocal take.

See how it's all done, from programming drum parts, laying down keys, synths and guitars, live bass, real drums, comping the perfect vocal take and more. You'll discover many cool Pro Tools features and functions, as well as shortcuts and tricks that can be applied to any DAW.

This is truly a lesson from a master music producer, revealing the most common steps to achieving a professional Pop music production, as well as things you've never thought of.

http://www.groove3.com/st...ith-pro-tools-pop.html

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.

10 Replies Related Threads

lawajava
    Re: Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation! 2014/11/22 10:58:05 (permalink)
    I've continued listening to this in my car with immense satisfaction.

For someone into recording, this is a really worthwhile thing to listen to. Like I say, listening to it instead of watching it, removes the menus and buttons aspect and allows you to just hear what Kenny does step by step to develop a sharp pop song.

I couldn't convince myself (let alone others) to pick this up at the normal price, but through Nov it's $15 - that's a very good use of $15 if you spend any time in a car traveling around and just listening to the radio. This instead would be time well spent.

I'm passing this tip on!

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    Atsuko
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 365
    Re: Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation! 2014/11/22 12:41:55 (permalink)
    Hi, Roger, thanks for the tip, I've just bought it!

Desktop Intel I7 12GB RAM Win 10 64bit - Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen - Roland A-300 PRO - Yamaha HS50M speakers - Sonar Platinum/CbB - Samplitude Pro X3 - Studio One 4 - Melodyne 4 Studio - Ozone 8 Adv - Neutron 2 Adv - RX7 Adv - ARC2 // Notebook Dell I7 8GB RAM Win 10 64bit
    tKx5050
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re: Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation! 2014/11/22 19:21:39 (permalink)
    Every one of Kenny Gioia's tutorials are great. And while he usual uses ProTools or Reaper, 90% is directly transferrable and the rest just takes a little thinking. What's so good about his tutorials is he really aims them to those of us with home studios and always gives a lot of tips on the recording process. Check out the "recording rock drums", "recording rock bass", "recoding vocals". Even his tutorials on panning and delay are will give you a lot of insight and tips. Highly recommended.

Steve

Sonar Platinum, Quad-Capture, I7-3770, 32Gb
    lawajava
    Re: Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation! 2014/11/22 22:47:39 (permalink)
    He's like a Yoda in terms of pointing out what can be thought about.

lawajava
    Re: Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation! 2014/11/28 18:42:09 (permalink)
    Last note on this as the month ends and the sale ends on this item.  Such a great listen as an "audio book" for how to punch up a song.  Worth listening to a few times, it's jam packed with ideas.

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation! 2014/12/10 13:01:04 (permalink)
    Just a FYI. Mike Senior has a new book out now called " Recording Secrets For The Small Studio". 
    I just bought the book. It starts out at a basic level for beginners but it gets increasingly complex as it goes and has some good info in it for the more experienced as well.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation! 2014/12/10 21:28:06 (permalink)
    Mike Senior's book has been out for a few years. Mine is very well thumbed....

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Starise
    Re: Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation! 2014/12/11 08:49:59 (permalink)
    No this is a new book bro....a little shameless plug here...I'm interviewing him about his new book. Look for it soon!

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation! 2014/12/11 10:26:57 (permalink)
    Ah I guess I didn't read the title closely enough....Recording as opposed to Mixing...is it actually on bookshelves yet? I could swear I saw that in Barnes and Noble the other week, but didn't open it. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Starise
    Re: Audio Book - on Pop Music Mixing - a Revelation! 2014/12/11 14:18:41 (permalink)
    I think it's been out for at least several months, but to me that's recent. The older you get more that kind of thing happens:)

Twitter @Rodein

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1