Finding the tempo

Author
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
2014/11/24 04:04:11 (permalink)

Finding the tempo

Is there a way for Sonar to find the tempo of a song? Say there's guitar and vocals only. No click track or beat to it, but you want to go back and add a drum track. How would you manage to find the tempo to do so?

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!

12 Replies Related Threads

kakku
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1646
    Re: Finding the tempo 2014/11/24 08:04:05 (permalink)
    I think it's explained in here:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/D...help=AudioSnap.06.html
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Finding the tempo 2014/11/24 08:09:54 (permalink)
    The bigger problem is when the folks recording the tracks did not use a click...and tend to drift in tempo..... straight up midi won't work for laying down drums.

Just a quick glance through of the link above didn't provide clues on how it treats tempos that change or drift like one might expect from someone recording a track without the benefit of a click track to keep them on the tempo.

I've had folks send me tracks and ask me to put accompaniment to it.... but that's a nearly impossible trick with fluctuating tempo

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Finding the tempo 2014/11/24 08:20:14 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker
    The bigger problem is when the folks recording the tracks did not use a click...and tend to drift in tempo..... straight up midi won't work for laying down drums.

Just a quick glance through of the link above didn't provide clues on how it treats tempos that change or drift like one might expect from someone recording a track without the benefit of a click track to keep them on the tempo.

I've had folks send me tracks and ask me to put accompaniment to it.... but that's a nearly impossible trick with fluctuating tempo

Karl has a solution to this problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VR7WkHywTo&list=PL6C8A51A85BDA4609

Rocky
    Bflat5
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 421
    Re: Finding the tempo 2014/11/24 20:16:51 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.

The reason a click track wasn't used is because the person is a young girl, 15 or 16 I think. She just wanted to record a few of her songs and I offered to do it for her. I did tell her she should learn to use a metronome, but didn't go into great detail that day simply to not complicate it.

I wanted to see if I could easily find a tempo to add a beat and maybe some other stuff to beef it up for her. She wants to record more of her songs so I figured if I could spice what she's already done up a bit it might inspire her to want to work a little harder at it.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
    Takamine And Fender Acoustics
    Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
    BOSS FX (Mostly)
    Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re: Finding the tempo 2014/11/25 11:17:07 (permalink)
    Yuo can use Audio snap, but you will need to align each track with Audiosnap to make sure nothing is out of time. Each track needs to be in time, or any drum synth you use will not be in sync with it. Also, an easy way I find a tempo is to click the mouse in one of my delay tempos effects. It take me about 10 seconds to do, but you may have to align the tracks first in audio snap before doing this.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    forkol
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re: Finding the tempo 2014/11/25 14:39:21 (permalink)
    You can use Audiosnap for this, and see if you can get it to identify on the transients (like a guitar strum).  What I usually like to do is get an approximate tempo guess (from something like Tap Tempo) then initially set the tempo to that, then turn on the metronome, then turn on Audiosnap, and quantize to 1/4 note beats.  Then set the threshold to try to get as many Audiosnap handles on the beats as possible, otherwise manually put them on needed transients, and then slide them back or forth to lock them on the beat.  Don't forget to set the highest quality render before you start (for both real-time and offline) and freeze when your finally done to check the highest quality. 

Since it's only guitar and vocals, it might be something that Audiosnap works well for, especially if you have separate vocal and guitar tracks.  However, if you have just a full mix, I find that Audiosnap just leaves too many audible artifacts.  For much better processing, I use Ableton Live's Audio Warping feature, which seems to work every single time for me with very little to no audible artifacts.

Once you get it locked to tempo, that's where the fun really begins.  I work with kids about her age, and it's really kinda neat to seem them adding drums and loops and becoming interested in production. 

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re: Finding the tempo 2014/11/26 01:50:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link bluzdog. That video explains how to do exactly what you want to do.  Of course it assumes that any recorded tracks are already in time with each other. If they aren't audio snap can also be used to sort that out but that is a different video.
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Finding the tempo 2014/11/26 02:56:03 (permalink)

This article may be of use :

Tempo – The Last DAW Frontier?

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re: Finding the tempo 2014/11/26 04:52:37 (permalink)
    I'm surprised nobody mentions Process > Fit Improvization. Tap along to the song with a MIDI controller, recording those beats. Manually inspect it to make sure the MIDI notes match up with the transients, make sure you have beats all the way back to 1:0:0, then use Fit Improvization to set the tempo to match your beats. I did a whole EP that way. As far as I can tell, it's basically doing the repetitive 'Set Measure/Beat At Now' work (as in Karl's video), but at where you put the MIDI events, instead of requiring you to manually do all the measures yourself. (Although to be fair, that doesn't always take that long if the beat is consistent throughout.)

The only downside I saw is that the resulting tempo is only as good as your timekeeping, so if the drummer is perfectly in time and you are not, you'll make things slightly worse. You might be able to use Audiosnap to help here - enable Audiosnap on your drum track, then you can quantize your tapped beat to those drum hits before you Fit Improvization, meaning most of the drum hits will end up exactly on the grid.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Finding the tempo 2014/11/26 10:59:08 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy
    Thanks for the link bluzdog. That video explains how to do exactly what you want to do.  Of course it assumes that any recorded tracks are already in time with each other. If they aren't audio snap can also be used to sort that out but that is a different video.

You bet Karl. Your videos have helped me out immensely.

Rocky
    Elffin
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1196
    Re: Finding the tempo 2015/05/13 10:43:16 (permalink)
    Has anybody used this app? 
    http://soundbytesmag.net/tempo-thelastdawfrontier/
    any thoughts?  
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Finding the tempo 2015/05/13 11:51:13 (permalink)
    It's been discussed before. I have not used it, but basically it's works like SONAR's built-in Fit Improvisation feature but supports resolutions higher than 1/4-note beats. The limitation of both is that you have to created a MIDI guide track that has an event on every beat (or fractional beat that you specify in the case of Maestorlizer); this is not always easy or convenient. Personally, I prefer to use Set Measure/Beat At Now which allows you to enter only as many tempo changes as needed with varying resolution.

Here are links to a couple threads in which the author participated:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Free-SONARCompatible-Tempo-Map-Creator-Available-m2832233.aspx

http://forum.cakewalk.com/building-tempo-maps-m3065897.aspx

If you want to discuss this further, I suggest you re-awaken one of those threads or start a new one as this thread is not really relevant.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1