New to melodyne

Author
Muzock
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 226
2014/11/23 15:17:11 (permalink)

New to melodyne

I heard about that software since a very long time.  I read alot about it.  I watched some tutorials.  I didn't upgrade from the essential I received with X3.  First time I tried something I crassh the program X3.  I was trying to copy an audio vocal track into a MIDI track.  So, I just want to know if I'm wrong...seconly, in X1 I was able to copy my audio bass drum track to midi and than asign it to a VST...I didn't find that fonction in X3.  Does it means that the only way to do this is by melodyne...heu...essential or the up grade one...

I hope my questions are clear and thank you.

X3e Producer 64 bit
Dimension-Pro
SSL XLogic Alpha Link MadiAX
W7 64 bit
Komplete 6 16gig ram
 Drum set player and composer
www.gillesschetagne.com

8 Replies Related Threads

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: New to melodyne 2014/11/23 18:01:38 (permalink)
    Audio Snap will create a midi note from any transient. Kick drum is one thing it does very easily. 
    This is what you must have used in the past. Melodyne crashed my system too so don't feel bad. I think it needs a lot of CPU and RAM. Or possibly only works on small snippets of a track like V Vocal does. But when I applied it to a Bass guitar track. It froze up. Second time it told me I needed to increase my buffers to 10,000?? so I gave up after that. 
    ANyhow open Audio Snap on the audio KIck drum track and read the help files about generating a midi track from an audio track. It's pretty easy if I can do it :) 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: New to melodyne 2014/11/24 02:43:41 (permalink)
    Melodyne works best when used on small sections of a track. I've found if I break the track into sections of 30 seconds, or less, I get good results. My system is only 32bit with 4GB (3.5GB useable) of RAM and I rarely have an issue with Melodyne. Try experimenting until you find the sweet spot with regards to length of track you can work with.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: New to melodyne 2014/11/24 05:32:14 (permalink)
    Muzock
    I heard about that software since a very long time.  I read alot about it.  I watched some tutorials.  I didn't upgrade from the essential I received with X3.  First time I tried something I crassh the program X3.  I was trying to copy an audio vocal track into a MIDI track.  So, I just want to know if I'm wrong...seconly, in X1 I was able to copy my audio bass drum track to midi and than asign it to a VST...I didn't find that fonction in X3.  Does it means that the only way to do this is by melodyne...heu...essential or the up grade one...

I hope my questions are clear and thank you.

Insert a midi track. select the audio clip and Shift+drag to move or (Ctrl+shift drag to copy) the audio clip to the midi track - the rest happens by magic ! ;)
    paulo
    Re: New to melodyne 2014/11/24 05:34:18 (permalink)
    johnnyV
     Second time it told me I needed to increase my buffers to 10,000?? so I gave up after that. 

That's some kind of glitch with Melodyne - can't remember the details, but just ignore it. I do and it works just fine every time.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: New to melodyne 2014/11/24 08:03:33 (permalink)
    I've had Melodyne since forever it seems.  First on a laptop and then on my custom DAW.  I also have the full version of Melodyne Editor.

Disclosure: I do not use it for anything other than vocal or audio editing..... no audio to midi conversion stuff for me.

My observations from using it.  On the laptop, processing power was limited and melodyne did tend to crash a lot. My solution was to take a verse at a time or less.

In the newer DAW with quad processing.... I got the upgrade to the full version of ME...the polyphonic one.  This computer will handle the entire song in poly mode but I still prefer to work on smaller segments of the song..... sometimes as small as a single measure or two.... up to a full verse or chorus.  Clip loading times are shorter with the smaller clips.

Be sure to choose the correct mode.... percussion, melodic or poly. Processing is faster if you're in the correct mode.  You don't need poly for a vocal track.

Try working it in smaller segments. As far as will the upgrade make it work faster or better....probably not. You will get all the bells and whistles and it's cool..... but try taking smaller bites of the music and see if that won't solve the issue of the crashing.   Melodyne is, without a doubt, the largest CPU consumer of all the plugs I use. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Muzock
    Re: New to melodyne 2014/11/24 20:24:46 (permalink)
    Insert a midi track. select the audio clip and Shift+drag to move or (Ctrl+shift drag to copy) the audio clip to the midi track - the rest happens by magic ! ;)
    Probably not with Essential Melodyne

X3e Producer 64 bit
    Dimension-Pro
    W7 64 bit
    Komplete 6 16gig ram
    www.gillesschetagne.com
    paulo
    Re: New to melodyne 2014/11/25 06:14:02 (permalink)
    Muzock
    Probably not with Essential Melodyne

Yes it does.
    Muzock
    Re: New to melodyne 2014/11/25 19:57:12 (permalink)
    OK  So it means that i am missing something...I crashed the program every time I do that and I reset mt VST after that because I thought that melodyne was not ok (I registred it few weeks after my upgrade from X1).  I started than to panic because when I reopened SONAR there was avec 10 VSY's missing and I forgot the procedure to get them back...and finally I got OK...fiou!!!  I'm a realy bad tech...
    So, maybe my mistake is somewhere before to drag the audio track into a MIDI track, do I have to insert Melodyne and maybe the way to do it...
    Thank you for your patience Paulo!!!  I want so mutch to get it done ...

X3e Producer 64 bit
    Dimension-Pro
    W7 64 bit
    Komplete 6 16gig ram
    www.gillesschetagne.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1