Looking for VST Chainer

Author
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
2014/11/21 11:34:07 (permalink)

Looking for VST Chainer

I want to be able to take my favorite vst compressor and place it in parallel with a volume slider VST, or other vst, in order to get "New York" style compression without using an extra buss. I'm looking for a vst chainer that can be inserted as a vst effect on a buss.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

6 Replies Related Threads

Musikus
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re: Looking for VST Chainer 2014/11/21 12:00:56 (permalink)
    Maybe patchwork from bluecat audio is your solution! You can combine plugins serial or parallel.

http://www.bluecataudio.c...cts/Product_PatchWork/

Intel i7 4790K, 16 GB, Win10 64 bit
    Sonar Platinum, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Avid Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 12, NI Maschine
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Looking for VST Chainer 2014/11/21 12:53:13 (permalink)
    Or Patchwork's big brother, MB-7. A bit more expensive, but more capable, with multi-band filters built-in.

But if parallel compression is you primary objective, you can just get a compressor that features a wet/dry mix knob. Most do nowadays.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Looking for VST Chainer 2014/11/23 14:59:19 (permalink)
    Important thread and hopefully will get some more attention and input. Keyboard players need some easy method to chain synths and effects on a single track, the one major downside to Sonar. Not that it can't be done native, but requires multiple tracks, copy pasting and templates.

The Blue Cat plug is nice. Good parallel and series flow.

Wanted to throw in my favorite contender for the job.

Energy XT.

They got a 30% off sale at the present bringing the price down to a bit over $48. This makes it a no brainer for the advanced feature sets and its place in the Sonaw workflow. It does not separate and route frequencies like MB-7 but has basic advantages over patchwork.

http://www.energy-xt.com/index.php

Note that XT is itself an independent DAW which includes instruments and effects. I've never used it as a DAW, but use the modular layout as about the best chainer out there. Current version is 2.7 for the standalone. The two vst and vsti dll's are still at ver 2.6. These are what you need to open in Sonar.

The demos are fully functional except they won't save settings.

Simple license file to activate.

The advantage of XT over Blue Cat is the mixer, unless I missed it somewhere in the patchwork demo.

The mixer allows for panning the parts of a chain which I could not find a way to do with Blue Cat. Fast chaining in Blue Cat, but loses the pan ability of multiple tracks done the hard way in Sonar.

There is a trim control and area for sends and inserts in the Energy XT mixer. These inserts stay with the track. You can optionally manually ad a synth or effect to a chain in the modular window which then creates an independent track in the mixer with each effect for finer control. Volume, pan, mute,solo,trim, insert, send, etc for eack track.

Price wise, about $30 less than Blue Cat patchwork.

Others swear by two other chainers I don't have a lot of experience with. They do cost considerably more. Usine and Bidule.

http://www.sensomusic.org/usine/

http://www.plogue.com/products/bidule/

John

JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Looking for VST Chainer 2014/11/23 17:50:20 (permalink)
    Followup on this...

Energy XT is THE single affordable workhorse of vst chainers. Hands down, case closed minus the ability to read DX formats. None of the new read DX though. Have to go back to "Chainer" to get DX native ability. Only one on the (ancient) market as far as I have found. Probably still available and quite elegant in some ways, but buggy and lost in the development ozone of a receding past.

http://www.xlutop.com/html/chainer.html

Has anyone any experience with Usine or Plogue Bidule. Is there any remote advantage over Energy XT that merits 50 and more dollars expense? Energy XT is where it's at if you are looking for a solid multi task chainer.

John

mikedocy
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1157
    Re: Looking for VST Chainer 2014/11/24 09:48:01 (permalink)
     This one is looking good for my application and only 49 dollars. I'm going to try the demo this evening.

"Metaplugin"
    http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=3"Dry/wet ratio can be adjusted for each loaded plugin." "Metaplugin is a plugin that loads other plugins. As simple as that. Build your own effect networks using any VST/VST3 (and AU, if you're on Mac) effect you already have on your harddisk. To get you started, a Mid-Side matrix and a fourband crossover filter are included in the package. This means instant mid-side or multiband compression/distortion/reverb/... you name it." 
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Looking for VST Chainer 2014/11/25 05:23:12 (permalink)
    that would be my suggestion.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1