Bundled plugins and synths

Author
P-Theory
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
2014/11/25 00:02:55 (permalink)

Bundled plugins and synths

I have used the producer editions of Sonar for years but am starting to question why do to the fact tat I rarely, if in fact ever, use any of the bundled plugins or synths.  Most of the plugs I use are 3rd party and will continue to be so for the future eg:

• All Waves plugins
  • All Steven Slate plugins
  • Sylenth, Nexus, Rob Papens synths etc
  • Addictive Drums 2 with every library and kit available, BFD3
  • Full Kontakt and 2TB of Kontakt instrument libaries
I have never used any of the Nomad plugins other than to open them to test them once and then instantly dismiss them compared to Waves. I think I have used Dim Pro very occasionally and non of the other synths eg lounge lizard, etc.  I occasionally use the pro channel EQ as I like the visual spectrum analyzer built in and the softtube overdrive.

The basic questions are:

1) do I really need to pay for the producer edition when the next version comes out bearing in mind I can't see me ever using any free bundled plugins after I have spent $Thousands on slate and waves etc.

2) Could I get away with just the studio edition but still have all the functionality bearing in mind I don't want to clutter my system with what I consider fatware bundles that I will never use

3) Am I actually using the right DAW as it does frustrate me a little that Sonar seems very driven around the pro channel?  The effects bin is very small and can get frustrating when using say 6 plugins per track.  However i recently started taking advantage of FX chains which I think are great and save a lot of time, are they a Sonar specific feature or do most DAW's have similar features?

20 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 00:28:01 (permalink)
    You can probably get away with the middle version, which, if I'm not mistaken, has all the functionality of Pro (including the PC) but fewer bells and whistles.  There is a comparison page between the SONAR levels - use that to fine tune.

Remember you can do a custom install and only put into your hard drive that which you need from SONAR.  If you don't need DimPro, you don't have to install it.

I'm not familiar with all the other DAWs but if you are talking about presets of effects (like FX chains) most have them for the VSTs.  I'm not sure about some of the mix functions like gain you can place internally, tho.  You just bundle the VSTs into sequence and save that combo as a "preset."  Sound Forge and Vegas works this way.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 03:04:12 (permalink)
    It appears the OP has a very high opinion of third party plugins and a low opinion of CW and the plugins that CW bundles. That is a mistake. Further if The OP were paying full price for an upgrade he/she may find it more economical to go with Studio but that is not the case. We all have a discount when upgrading and in most upgrades the cost is nowhere near the value we get.  

CW offers very high quality plugins that do very well compared to others from third party developers. It is a huge mistake to dismiss them because one hasn't paid a huge amount for them. Look at they're worth without being prejudiced by they're cost.      

Best
    John
    P-Theory
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 04:50:43 (permalink)
    Sorry John but I prejudice with my ears not perceived cost or not. The CW bundle stuff doesn't even come close to the third party stuff I use.

That's not to say they are bad, as a bundled offering they are very good, just that they are no where near as good as the other stuff I use.

You are right about the upgrade costs, relatively speaking they are very small. However as explained, I just use the core engine or Sonar, (which in the main I love) and don't want to clutter my very clean machine with bundled 3rd party plugins eg Nomad and Applied Acoustics that I will never use.

If there is the option not to install any of them during Sonar installation then the problem goes away
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 05:19:20 (permalink)
    P-Theory

If there is the option not to install any of them during Sonar installation then the problem goes away

SONAR Studio, I think, is what you want. The only difference from Producer is that Producer has the Xtra stuff, like extra softsynths and audio effects. With Studio, you will have all the functionalty of Producer. You just wont get the extra softsynths and effects plug ins. And it will cost less. However, in the case with SONAR X3, the Quadcurve EQ Zoom is only included with Producer version and this is the EQ Zoom that has the built-in spectrum analyzer, which you say you like. It just happens to be a feature of one of the effects categories of extras.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    P-Theory
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 06:17:17 (permalink)
    Ok thanks as the reative saving is pretty small I'll probably stick with producer and not install the 3rd party stuff
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 10:28:30 (permalink)
    Although other DAWs offer preset combinations of plug-ins, FX chains have the unique attribute of letting you create macros via knobs and buttons, and bringing them to a unified front panel. No other DAW does this. I've created both extremely complex and extremely simple FX chains, for example, a rotating speaker emulator FX chain with controls for rotor speed, preamp drive, room ambience, etc. And of course the parameters are all automatable.

You can use the FX chains in the ProChannel, which is great. So any third party VST can be a ProChannel module. The ProChannel's unified interface, which concentrates everything in a single hideable channel strip, is ideal for mixing when you don't want to have a lot of open FX windows.

As to the bundled plug-ins, if you've spent thousands of dollars on Waves, Kontakt, etc. then you already have what you need. Still, nothing does quite what Rapture does with its orgy of step-sequencing options (and it's ideal for MIDI guitar if you're into that). There are some hidden gems, like the Sonitus Modulation and Wah effects, Blue Tubes Oil Can echo, Sonitus multiband that's suitable as a crossover for multiband processing, several of the Dimension Pro expansion packs (apart from Kontakt's Scarbee basses I didn't like any basses and had no 5-string samples, so I made an EB 5-string expansion and now it's the only bass I use for pop), etc. A couple of the ProChannel EQ curves are unique, and while nothing beats a Waves maximizer, the Concrete Limiter has a certain je ne sais quoi on drums that no other plug-ins has.

I have all the Waves plug-ins, Komplete, all the Arturia synths, almost everything from Universal Audio, Reason to rewire their cool instruments into SONAR, etc. But I use a the bundled plug-ins at least 50% of the time because a) I don't use that many plug-ins anyway other than EQ and dynamics, 2) I can customize exactly what I want with effects chains, 3) I can do cool things with the SFZ-based instruments because of the flexibility of SFZ scripting. With all the plug-ins I have, there are certain favorites that stand out and the rest, I don't use...that goes for all manufacturers. But there are a lot of gems in Cakewalk's package.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 11:03:21 (permalink)
    It doesn't matter what you use. You use what ever get you the sound you want. If that happens to be using a 3rd party plugin or one that comes with Sonar. It just doesn't matter. You realize that you and everyone else probably only uses 5% of all of Sonar's included features and that number is probably lower.

The tools you use doesn't really matter. What matters is how you use them. You can give 10. You can make professional sounding great music with Sonar's included plugins and you can me the same with 3rd party plugins. 

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 11:53:08 (permalink)
    I also don't like to spend unnecessary money on software extras.  I prefer to spend it on analog hardware coming in and going out, which makes it kind of moot what I use in-the-box.  Tone and color (and basic limiting of bandwidth and amplitude) come from the hardware.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    P-Theory
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 12:12:57 (permalink)
    Not disagreeing with anything you are saying Craig but to CJ's point it is far more effective to invest time learning a few plugins well to get the most from them which is what I've done with the waves and kontakt stuff.

I do use elements of the pro channel modules but they would be even more effective for me if I could put then after the fx bin and use them for final check and balance and very subtle coloration.

I do like the layout of the pro channel a lot, I just wish the fx bin was bigger and was able to be routed to be the first element in the pro channels signal chain.

Non of these are currently show stoppers and one mans wine might be another mans poison when it comes to workflow. I merely asked people's opinions on this very informative and supportive forum which each another huge plus for Sonar as far as I'm concerned
    KPerry
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3120
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 12:31:34 (permalink)
    You can do what you want - right click (on the track if memory serves me right) and change the position of the Pro Channel from before to after FX bin...
    P-Theory
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 13:09:38 (permalink)
    I think you are meaning switch it from pre and post fader as per this schematic unless I'm missing something?

http://blog.cakewalk.com/know-your-signal-flow/
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 13:36:07 (permalink)
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X3&language=3&help=Mixing.07.html

The PC pre/post is for the FX bin, for sends it is pre/post fader.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Anderton
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 13:45:01 (permalink)
    I often switch the ProChannel post FX bin to take advantage of the QuadCurve EQ. For example...amp sim in the FX bin followed by 48 dB/octave low pass in the QuadCurve to take out the high-frequency digital junk, and 12 dB/octave highpass to turn the "cabinet" into an open back.

But sometimes I put the ProChannel pre-FX bin...all depends on the application.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Anderton
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 13:50:27 (permalink)
    P-Theory
    Not disagreeing with anything you are saying Craig but to CJ's point it is far more effective to invest time learning a few plugins well to get the most from them which is what I've done with the waves and kontakt stuff.

Well, I'm in an extremely fortunate position - checking out what SONAR's bundled plug-ins can do is part of my gig. As a result I find out about a lot of cool stuff I might not know about otherwise, and they become part of my personal "a few plug-ins I know well." Then again I wrote the original manual for Kontakt, so I know that extremely well and use it all the time. It's a great virtual instrument IMHO.

And totally agreed about the forum. I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of Nomad factory plug-ins so I started a thread on which ones were people's favorites. There were definitely some that everyone liked, so I started learning those. I will get around to the others, but those "faves" were definitely worth checking out and do effects other plug-ins don't do.

P-Theory
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 13:59:30 (permalink)
    Great thanks for all your help, good news on the fx bin I might have a dig around the plugins you have suggested when I get chance.

Sometimes there is just too many options to digest. Sonar definitely has some great stuff going for it.
    Anderton
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 14:18:46 (permalink)
    P-Theory
    Sometimes there is just too many options to digest.

YES YES YES!! All that matters is the emotional impact of the music. If you used nothing but ProChannel EQs or nothing but Waves of Universal Audio EQs, I believe no listener would care, or even notice. They want a hook that sticks in their mind.

That said, I also believe that if someone wants to use a plug-in because they like the way it looks, then that's the plug-in they should use. Inspiring visuals might very well impact the music more than specs.

I think perhaps one reason why people often use the plug-ins bundled with SONAR instead of third-party alternatives is because it speeds up the workflow, which at least for me is crucial for capturing inspiration...and the inspiration is what people hear, not the plug-in. There have been many times when I put in something like a Sonitus effect as a placeholder with the intention of replacing it, but never replaced it because it sounded just fine when it came time to mix. If it ain't broke...

One of the laugh lines I use at seminars is "No radio station ever called me and said 'We were going to play your record, but you used a solid-state preamp on the lead vocal!! No way we'll play that sucker now!'"

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 15:37:02 (permalink)
    I think the bundled synths and effects are some of the best around. The Quad Curve EQ is my favourite when I want a clean, transparent EQ. I use Waves VEQ3 when I want to add some additional character. I've only begun to experiment with Blue Tubes. What a great value for those of us that don't have deep pockets. Since Addictive drums was added I'm not even using BFD that much.

Great value in the Producer bundle.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 15:50:24 (permalink)
    Anderton
    One of the laugh lines I use at seminars is "No radio station ever called me and said 'We were going to play your record, but you used a solid-state preamp on the lead vocal!! No way we'll play that sucker now!'"

:-)

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 16:16:42 (permalink)
    Part of me agrees and part of me disagrees with OP.

X3 was really the first version of Sonar that came with plugins I actually use. Melodyne (which I upgraded), Addictive Drums (which I upgraded to AD2), some of the Nomad stuff I use and of course, Prochannel which I really feel has not come close to reaching its potential and would love to see more third parties jump in on it as long as we also get a VST version of what we are buying. For instance, if FabFilter hopped on the Prochannel and I paid as much for it as I would their standard plugin, I would expect to get the VST version as well so I'm not limited to just using it on the Prochannel alone.

Plugins from previous versions of Sonar like Dimension Pro I've not touched in years. It's outdated and clunky compared to many of the newer plugins you can get that are along the same lines. I know there are some people who still use it and love it; I am not one of them.

The model they used for X3 I really liked: getting high quality plugins with an upgrade path such as what Melodyne did for us so we could get Editor cheaper or being able to update to AD2 at a discount for owning AD1 already. If they continue this trend with new plugins such as FabFilter, ProjectSAM or hell, Native Instruments, I would love that. I just hope they don't include the same plugins for X4 that were also in X3.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Bundled plugins and synths 2014/11/25 16:50:25 (permalink)
    TerraSin
    I just hope they don't include the same plugins for X4 that were also in X3.

As far back as I remember, that has never been the case and so I can only expect something new (even if it is not new to me) in X4 vs. X3.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1