Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio.

Author
PJH
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 599
2014/11/17 04:54:32 (permalink)

Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio.

Hi everyone,

I uploaded a song back in 2006 that was recorded in SONAR 6. The song created quite a bit of interest on this forum mainly for audio production but then became a bit of a political discussion about global warming... much to my dismay.

We shot a huge amount of footage when we recorded it but I've only now had the time to actually go through it and put the video together.

As I said, the song was recorded and mixed in SONAR 6 but I've recently remixed it in X3. It was mastered in Adobe Audition and the video was edited in Sony Vegas 13.

All the instruments were recorded at my studio (Foxglove Studios) except for the Hammond and Leslie which was tracked at the keyboard player's place.

It is a fairly long piece which covers the subject matter of being able to change the future or not.

The sound effects in the intro were put together back in 2006 and I had to try and find some public domain footage to accompany the soundtrack.

A huge amount of work went into this and I would appreciate some feedback from the forum about it.

The song runs for 9 minutes in total. I really hope that you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed putting it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWkUVHKOxuk&list=UUVpiiM9h1LvKhKjTBCL6YBg

Cheers,

Peter.

23 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/17 11:12:03 (permalink)
    Good work Peter a little long for some but it is a song in two parts.

Works well here thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/17 13:38:54 (permalink)
    Brilliant.  I was desperate to find something to criticise but couldn't, so I'll go with...  a few of the shots weren't synced correctly..

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/17 15:40:58 (permalink)
    Well, for me to sit in front of a computer and listen to 9 minutes says a lot.  I loved it, couldn't think of anything you could have done better and I congratulate you on an epic project.  When the singer came to the mic I got worried. I've seen so many excellent bands , instrument wise, that lose it when the vocalist comes up.  Not this time.  I could go on for a long time but I won't.  That is one of the best things I've heard for awhile.  The video made it so real.  

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    PJH
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/18 08:58:56 (permalink)
    evadianepug
    Well, for me to sit in front of a computer and listen to 9 minutes says a lot.  I loved it, couldn't think of anything you could have done better and I congratulate you on an epic project.  When the singer came to the mic I got worried. I've seen so many excellent bands , instrument wise, that lose it when the vocalist comes up.  Not this time.  I could go on for a long time but I won't.  That is one of the best things I've heard for awhile.  The video made it so real.  

Thanks so much for your kind comments, Warren. They are really appreciated. Yes, it was a huge job to put together but definitely worth it in the end. We always shoot video of our recordings just in case we decide to do videos like this one. It's just that this was recorded a while ago and I didn't realise that we had so much of it lying around.

@Karyn Thanks for taking the time to watch and  for your kind comments. Regarding the synch, I think it could be a Youtube thing. The video seems ok on my side.

@Wookiee Thanks for checking it out and for your feedback. Yes, it is a bit long but as you've mentioned it is a two part song.

Cheers,

Peter.
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/18 09:10:35 (permalink)
    PJH
    @Karyn Thanks for taking the time to watch and  for your kind comments. Regarding the synch, I think it could be a Youtube thing. The video seems ok on my side.

I was only nit picking because the music is so excellent.  Nearly all the video is fine, there was just a couple of short sections (mostly guitar shots I think) where I found myself thinking "he's miming..." because the sync wasn't perfect.  But it's a very very minor point and something that only people on these forums would see.  (Yeah, techy nerds )

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/18 10:48:39 (permalink)
    What a great production! I'm with Warren...I don't often sit in front of YouTube for 9 minutes unless it's pretty durn entertaining. And that was pretty durn good all around: the song, the performance, the mix and the video.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    PJH
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/19 11:29:54 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    What a great production! I'm with Warren...I don't often sit in front of YouTube for 9 minutes unless it's pretty durn entertaining. And that was pretty durn good all around: the song, the performance, the mix and the video.

Thanks, Bitflipper. Much appreciated and glad you like it.

Yes, it is long but I suppose growing up on progressive rock tends to influence me into writing longer pieces of music than normal.

Cheers,

Peter.
    Larry Jones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 834
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/19 22:09:46 (permalink)
    Totally worth the 8-year delay. Good playing, singing, shooting and editing. The recording and mixing are darn near perfect, although I wanted the drums to be bigger, in keeping with the BIG theme.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/19 22:24:02 (permalink)
    wow...  music up my alley.  no real nits, except you guys need a place like Hit Factory, etc for a studio backdrop!  Only thing I was hoping for was something totally insane, that would break the sonic barrier... but we're all searching for that...maybe.  Maybe something Roger Daltry did or Pete did with a windmill type strum.  A+   probably one of the best home brews I've seen to date.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

PJH
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/20 10:45:54 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. your comments are appreciated.

The whole idea when we filmed it was to just have a record of the actual recording in the studio - hence the single view of the drummer, etc. The filming was more of an afterthought as we were far more concerned about getting the perfect takes.

I'm really glad that I ended up with something useable though.

Cheers.
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/21 19:35:26 (permalink)
    Epic is a good word...performances were killer...the video shots and synth were very good indeed. This is well beyond what I have ever done and all you guy should be damned proud of the project as a whole.

Now let me put on my production hat and add a bit of thought....

1) the into was to long for my liking in my minds eye an intro is suppose to set me up and get me excited for what's coming next....in this case the tune and video was MUCH better than I expected based on the first min or so. It would be like serving pizza-rolls for appetizers when your havin prime rib for the main course....so it just makes me ask...why? I like the concepts in the intro but here's what I would like to have seen tried.
    2) As stated the video shot was very crisp and clear and a good mixture of angles but they got a bit stale going from, bass, guitar, keys, kit and back around the horn again...I think most folks really just want to get a feel of what/who is playing so 20 seconds of a note for note lead seems long. (I play guitar so I enjoyed it from that stand point) but generally speaking 5 to 10 seconds gets a non-musian where you want them...THEN I would have used the intro footage (or something similar) and weave that between live playing shots...fading in and out throughout more or less following the flow of the tune and enhancing big production parts.

I really think you've got all the hard parts done and now you just need some creative editing which would create a more surreal atmosphere and a bit less literal.

Let me sign off by saying this is better than anything I have done "as is" so I cannot give a shining example of what I mean, but if you ever want an outsider to do some Vegas editing and give you an alt production just email me at thepogue at yahoo and I'd be happy to slice and dice a bit and maybe give you a few ideas.

Fantastic job!

PJH
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/23 10:02:30 (permalink)
    thepogue
    Epic is a good word...performances were killer...the video shots and synth were very good indeed. This is well beyond what I have ever done and all you guy should be damned proud of the project as a whole.

Now let me put on my production hat and add a bit of thought....

1) the into was to long for my liking in my minds eye an intro is suppose to set me up and get me excited for what's coming next....in this case the tune and video was MUCH better than I expected based on the first min or so. It would be like serving pizza-rolls for appetizers when your havin prime rib for the main course....so it just makes me ask...why? I like the concepts in the intro but here's what I would like to have seen tried.
    2) As stated the video shot was very crisp and clear and a good mixture of angles but they got a bit stale going from, bass, guitar, keys, kit and back around the horn again...I think most folks really just want to get a feel of what/who is playing so 20 seconds of a note for note lead seems long. (I play guitar so I enjoyed it from that stand point) but generally speaking 5 to 10 seconds gets a non-musian where you want them...THEN I would have used the intro footage (or something similar) and weave that between live playing shots...fading in and out throughout more or less following the flow of the tune and enhancing big production parts.

I really think you've got all the hard parts done and now you just need some creative editing which would create a more surreal atmosphere and a bit less literal.

Let me sign off by saying this is better than anything I have done "as is" so I cannot give a shining example of what I mean, but if you ever want an outsider to do some Vegas editing and give you an alt production just email me at thepogue at yahoo and I'd be happy to slice and dice a bit and maybe give you a few ideas.

Fantastic job!

Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to give your opinion. Much appreciated.

Yes, the into is long but that's how it was recorded and I'm ok with it.

I do however agree fully with the advice on inserting more footage like the intro footage. I was already looking into that but as always, finding public domain footage of the subject matter is extremely difficult.

The song also touches on global warming etc and I'd really like to include footage of this but I cannot find any that I'm able to use from a copyright point of view.

I will keep looking though and once I've found what I want I'll do another edit.

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers,

Peter.
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/25 20:35:56 (permalink)
    Nice!  This song has been a part of my Soundclick station for a few years now.  Love the tune and enjoyed the video as well.  A nice surprise to find this tonight.  Thanks!

Jablowmi19
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/26 00:38:19 (permalink)
    Churchill... One of the greatest "leaders" in all of world history.

That's pretty cool, a live drummer, a guy playing a real B3, Marshals, A Les Paul?  It's pretty cool... Actually? It's really cool!

Political statements about global warming deleted
    post edited by Karyn - 2014/11/26 05:41:33
    jude77
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/26 16:45:06 (permalink)
    Wow!!  In a word, Excellent!!  I found the stock footage at the beginning of the video spellbinding, and the footage of the band playing was excellent as well.  The song and production are both first class.  Very compelling.

The only thing I would change would be to give the footage of the band a grittier look (maybe add some noise and film grain, or push the colors) to make it match the opening footage better.  But that's only a niggle and certainly not a criticism.
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/27 00:54:12 (permalink)
    Here's some help w/the footage.....

great job!

http://search.creativecommons.org/

http://www.loc.gov/

Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/27 10:43:45 (permalink)
    Awesome.  I love long songs, and this is a really good one.  Strong riffs and musicianship, very tight.  Love the judicious use of ballad and hammer.  Vocalist has a great texture.  Oh, the video was alright too.

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    PJH
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/11/27 14:48:29 (permalink)
    Voda La Void
    Awesome.  I love long songs, and this is a really good one.  Strong riffs and musicianship, very tight.  Love the judicious use of ballad and hammer.  Vocalist has a great texture.  Oh, the video was alright too.

Thanks so much for your comments, Voda and Jude. I appreciate you taking the time to watch and give feedback.

@thepogue - Thanks for your help with the video footage. I intend to spend some time this weekend searching for something that I can use. Really appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Peter.
    post edited by PJH - 2014/11/27 16:11:07
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/12/02 18:25:40 (permalink)
    +1 to the above - well worth the time.   The performances are really good (you guys can play!) and the mix is spot-on.   Really good stuff.    The chorus will likely be going through my head for the day.   

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

cannimagine1
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/12/02 21:27:05 (permalink)
    Wow very well done! The mix is great and so is the performance.
    PJH
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/12/03 05:44:10 (permalink)
    stevec
    +1 to the above - well worth the time.   The performances are really good (you guys can play!) and the mix is spot-on.   Really good stuff.    The chorus will likely be going through my head for the day.   

Wow very well done! The mix is great and so is the performance.

Thanks for listening and watching steve and cannimagine, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Also thanks for adding me to your Soundclick station. You'll find that the mix on Soundclick is a bit different to the video soundtrack. The Soundclick version is an older mix and for some reason it won't let me update it.

I've uploaded the new mix and it tells me that it was successful but then still plays the older mix.

Cheers,

Peter.
    thegaltieribrothers
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/12/09 12:42:42 (permalink)
    Well worth 9 minutes of my life - good job!
    PJH
    Re: Finished a video of a new/old song... shot in the studio. 2014/12/09 15:45:59 (permalink)
    thegaltieribrothers
    Well worth 9 minutes of my life - good job!

Thanks so much for watching and your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1