Stretched clip redo messed up

Author
riniehuigen
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
2014/11/25 11:12:43 (permalink)

Stretched clip redo messed up

Hi all,

I have Cakewalk Studio now for some months but I am still struggling with it. Every time I think things are going OK the program gets weird on me. Searching the forum I can find back most of the problems I encountered so I do not feel the need to post them. I must sadly admitt I am dissappointed by the overall quality of the program. Without all the things I ran into I would be very happy with it. Now I bumped into something I could not find any feedback about.

I just did some editing on a little guitar solo and wanted to correct some timing using Time stretch. So I do some splitting where needed and stretch the clip i need to correct to fit. It's somewhere in the middle of the bigger clip after splitting. Nothing wrong with that! Then I tried to do a comparison by choosing undo and playback the audio and then tried redo to do the comparison. But after the redo the timestretched version is completely messed up and replaced by another part of the solo??? Looks like redo of Time stretch is broken for me.

Has anyone encountered this before or could anyone check this and let me know? Can this be fixed somehow.

Thanks very much...

Rinie

X3E Studio (64 bit),Win 7 (64 bit), Roland Quad-Capture, i5 quad core CPU, 8 Gb.

3 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Stretched clip redo messed up 2014/11/25 12:07:34 (permalink)
    I have not experienced this issue, and just tested it again now before replying to make sure. However, perhaps the reason why you might not have seen feedback on this is because there is a much simpler way to accomplish what you want to do. I wrote about it in my "Tip of the Week" thread. Please check out this post as I think this technique will make tweaking solo timings much easier. (It also works on rhythm guitar parts.)

Note that when you're in preview mode the sound quality won't be that great; you have to bounce the clip to itself after your edits to invoke the high-quality offline stretch mode. But you can undo/redo after bounces as you progress through the clip to verify that your changes work.

BTW I usually create a copy and do all the tweaks on it at once. That way if I screw up horribly, I can get back to the original file instead of having to hit ctrl-Z 152 times.

As a side note, I have noticed that some of the problems people have are due to trying to do a function in a more complicated way than is necessary, often because they've switched from a different program and they're using the same workflow they used in a different program. I'm not sure what the solution is...you can't use something you don't know exists. But that's why the forum is helpful. Hopefully you'll find the above method a better way to do what you want. If not, we'll track down the cause of your original issue. It may be as simple as applying trimming to the clips after you cut them. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    riniehuigen
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: Stretched clip redo messed up 2014/11/26 05:52:39 (permalink)
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for a helpful answer. It's indeed easier to use the transients then split, split, split, drag drag etc... I tried it and it works perfect.

I indeed come from Cubase and find it actually easy to adapt. Problems I encounter are unrelated to how I did things in the past. I had screwed up icons. I found that this has something to do with the Normal template that comes with Sonar Studio. After creating a completely new template from scratch the icons remain perfect. I had audio problems which I found out was related to my audio card and the usb implementation of my Asus motherboard. Sonar was more sensitive to that than Cubase. I flipped in a PCI usb cards and all problems are gone. Sonitus delay would not sync to host correctly, some directX plugins will give an error when bouncing a mono track containing stereo plugins etc....

But these are no showstoppers and I'm finding my way and do like the approach of the Software. I will get there and am about to release my first recording.....

Best regards,
    Rinie

X3E Studio (64 bit),Win 7 (64 bit), Roland Quad-Capture, i5 quad core CPU, 8 Gb.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Stretched clip redo messed up 2014/11/26 10:27:37 (permalink)
    rinie.huigen@kpnmail.nl
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for a helpful answer. It's indeed easier to use the transients then split, split, split, drag drag etc... I tried it and it works perfect.

I indeed come from Cubase and find it actually easy to adapt. Problems I encounter are unrelated to how I did things in the past. I had screwed up icons. I found that this has something to do with the Normal template that comes with Sonar Studio. After creating a completely new template from scratch the icons remain perfect. I had audio problems which I found out was related to my audio card and the usb implementation of my Asus motherboard. Sonar was more sensitive to that than Cubase. I flipped in a PCI usb cards and all problems are gone. Sonitus delay would not sync to host correctly, some directX plugins will give an error when bouncing a mono track containing stereo plugins etc...

I came to SONAR from Cubase, but that was many years ago  I have a friend who just switched from Cubase due to crashing (I suspect it was his interface) and he also found the transition easy.

BTW I highly recommend a PCI USB card with USB interfaces, even if your DAW is working well. Most USB ports on a computer connect to a single controller, and you can have problems like "dirt" from hard drives getting on the line and adding noise. 

I seem to remember the Sonitus delay will sync to the tempo, but not follow tempo changes. And I can confirm that the mono/stereo issue with some DirectX plug-ins is indeed an issue. OTOH I'm glad SONAR still supports DirectX even though it's a "zombie" format.

So yes, there are some annoyances but like you said, no showstoppers. And...good luck with your album!

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1