What Computer Specs Do You Recommend?

Author
DallasSteve
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
2014/11/26 14:58:48 (permalink)

What Computer Specs Do You Recommend?

I may buy myself a new laptop.  Mine's a little old and they're getting very cheap.  What should I look for to use a computer for Music Creator 6?  I have heard I need at least 4 GB of RAM.  Do I need 8 GB?  What about inputs, sound cards, etc?  I want PC, not Mac.  Sorry.  I know a lot of musicians like Macs, but I think they are way overpriced.

Thanks

12 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/11/26 16:14:09 (permalink)
    No Cakewalk DAW will work on macs, so that's no problem.
    Get the fastest with the most memory you can afford.
    One with a 7,200 rpm hard drive is recommended. Most laptops use 5,400 rpm drives to save power.
    If you're not married to the idea of a laptop, consider a desktop. They will allow you more flexibility for hardware upgrades (more USB ports, more expansion bays, etc.). But you can't put it in your gig bag.
    You will need to get an audio interface (a fancy sound card) designed for recording in order to get the best performance from the computer and DAW. These connect via USB or FireWire or mount in the box.
    Most interfaces have at least 2 inputs for audio (1/4" phone plug, XLR, RCA or combo inputs). Some have MIDI ports. Many have 4 or more inputs.
    Phantom power will be needed if you use condenser microphones.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/11/26 16:29:50 (permalink)
    I recommend an Asus laptop (if not a desktop) over a Dell computer at least in my opinion. Make sure you get one that actually can perform for music instead of just being a general purpose computer. And since I have not looked at Asus that much lately, you may have to check it all out, for lack of USB ports or USB controllers and all the memory you will need and the fast harddrive that may not come with any laptop. Better to make sure you are getting a laptop that actually will perform than most of the other ones that will not that are made nowadays in low-cost electronic items.

DallasSteve
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/11/26 16:53:51 (permalink)
    Greg

About the "audio interface" - is that the same as the mixer I bought from Behringer?  And do I need a line-in jack?  It seems like my current laptop just has USB ports, microphone, and headphone jacks, but no line-in.

Steve
    tomixornot
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/11/26 20:37:45 (permalink)
    An audio interface is (probably) not the same as the ordinary mixer from Behringer. However, the newer X-series digital mixers from Behringer are capable as audio interface as well.

Line/mic in only accept analog audio signal to pass it to your PC/notebook sound card (none specialized sound card is weak for DAW use).

An audio interface designed for DAW use will pass it's multi channel (2 tracks and up) to your system via USB (probably USB 2 - make sure you check for compatibility for USB 3).

http://www.sweetwater.com...udio/audio_interfaces/

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
    - ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
    - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
    Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
    spacealf
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/11/26 20:57:01 (permalink)
    Mixer may not be the same usually as an audio interface. An audio interface usually has a combination connector (XLR - Neutrick combination connector) for microphone, or synth, or guitar, so yes, it includes a line in, a XLR connector, and a regular 1/4" guitar cord plug in connector.

An audio interface inputs the sound into the recording program of the computer and also plays back the recorded sounds (recording, movie, utube whatever) from the computer same as a sound card would, but has professional connectors that may include XLR or balanced 1/4" plug outs to hook up monitor speakers and a headphone jack for headphones.

A lot of audio interfaces work with a USB port (as long as you have enough USB ports and bandwidth) for any other USB devices, like a keyboard perhaps, or a mouse perhaps, anything that runs off of the USB port.

In a laptop you may only have one USB controller, while with a desktop computer you will usually have two USB controllers. If you have nothing else to run off of the USB port, then a USB audio/interface will probably work with a laptop computer, but again, you have the milli-amps and bandwidth usage of a USB port that is limited. All I know is my desktop computer which is standard - 500 milliamps - bandwidth handles up to 100 channels of music according to  RME. That would be 50 in (channels - separate tracks) and 50 out (channels - separate tracks - but usually only two are used to go to stereo speakers being mixed down on the output, although an audio/interface may have more outs like 2 analog outs, headphones out,  ADAT outs, SPDIF outs, depending on which audio/interface you get.

My unit (RME Babyface) has 10 ins and 12 outs (if I remember correctly)- 2 Analogs in (microphone, or synth or pre-amp or mixer in) and 8 ADAT in (depending on sample rate of recording which at higher sample rates - say 96kHz instead of 48kHz drops down to only 4 ADATs) while the same for outputs plus the 2 headphones out - 10 in - 12 out.

A USB audio/interface runs everything in and out of the computer through a USB connection on the computer for the music. Then there are other types of audio/interface using the other type connections like PCI-e or PCI (old now) or Firewire connectings if having a Firewire port in the first place, and most computers except maybe for a Mac do not have a Firewire port anymore, except to add a PCI-e Firewire card to the computer, but on a laptop that is not possible.

A sound card can be used, but be sure you know that soundcards are soundcards, while audio/interfaces usually most are professional type soundcards with the proper connections to plug in musical or microphone equipment (including having 48Volts for pro condenser microphones (not 9V like a soundcard for a computer mic) and outputs to go either to a stereo amp or studio monitor speakers.

There are many audio/interfaces made and a lot of people only need two inputs (at one time unless doing live band recordings where more may be needed) which is like L & R inputs for stereo signals of instruments but also can be used for mono-input sources of sound also. (not made for turntables which require a different pre-amp for old vinyl records).

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/

Thunderbolt is a new connection method, but unless the computer has a Thunderbolt connector, it  will have to be connected somehow to the computer, and although faster than USB, it is not really needed for recording music or sounds or whatever is recorded into a computer.

USB connections are widely used nowadays, because they are external to the computer and can be plugged in or not to the computer, but again laptops may only have one USB controller, while a desktop computer probably will have two USB controllers, which means more room for additional USB connections like more USB ports on the computer - mouse, keyboard - and then USB audio/interface means probably need two USB controllers because of milliamp usage and bandwidth usage on a computer. If you had a HD camcorder or camera that runs off of the USB port to put the movies taken or pictures taken on the computer - they take a lot of bandwidth and nothing else for that USB controller would be running if plugged into a USB port that also had the camcorder or camera plugged into the computer at the same time. In the end, all USB devices would not run or work because of that camcorder or camera taking all the bandwidth of the USB port at the time it is plugged into the computer downloading whatever into the computer. After unplugging the camcorder or camera from the computer's USB port then the other USB devices a person may have (even a printer nowadays) would work again, but not at the time the camcorder or camera was plugged in, or perhaps a computer printer would be the same way. Thus 2 USB controllers so the other devices like mouse and keyboard will remain working while the extensive bandwidth USB devices are being used on the computer at the same time.

So a mixer may work if it can be plugged into a computer and has sample rates like 44.1kHz or maybe 48kHz to probably a USB port for an interface, but an audio/interface like a USB device is actually made have the connections used for such purposes. It does not mean that a mixer will not work, some people use mixers, but then you will have to see what is better for you to use and how you plan on using any Mixer or Audio/Interface with your computer (or soundcard which I would not recommend for music but also have been used before with the mini-plugs (3.5mm connections instead of pro musical connections).

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/11/26 22:33:32 (permalink)
    Good thoughts from all, but Greg is spot on.
    i prefer a desktop PC to a laptop, mostly because of hard drive speed, but the machine in general is more stout.
    I believe you have indicated in other posts that you are working with real-time MIDI input from a controller.
    For that, good low latency performance from your sound card/interface is essential, and the Behringer will most likely fall short. It uses generic drivers, and defaults to a mode that is horrible for latency.
    Your interface is a crucial element.
    There are many to chose from, but the ones around $250 are generally solid performers.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/11/27 08:08:13 (permalink)
    DallasSteve
    About the "audio interface" - is that the same as the mixer I bought from Behringer?  And do I need a line-in jack?  It seems like my current laptop just has USB ports, microphone, and headphone jacks, but no line-in.

Absolutely not.  Apples to oranges.

The interface is another word for a sound card..... but one that's generally external to the computer.  It doesn't do the job of a mixer. (per se)

If you get a good interface, one that has built in preamps..... Focusrite is one brand that does have nice preamps inside the box.... you will NOT need a mixer.  Most folks use a mixer for it's ability to amplify the mic signal..... and to have convenience with inputs and get several things into a track.....

You need an interface that connects with USB and runs ASIO as it's main driver mode and has phantom power as well as preamps.   Focusrite does all that. Several other brands also meet this standard as well, so look around and do your research before you plunk down that hard earned cash.

With an interface..... your inputs for audio will go into it.... mono or stereo depending.... if it incorporates MIDI as some do, that too will go into the interface through it's MIDI port.... The interface connects to the computer via USB.....and all signals for audio will be coming back out of the interface main outs as well as a headphone signal for cans.

In my studio, I have NO mixer at all. Everything goes to the Focusrite and comes back out of the Focusrite. All "mixing" is done inside Sonar. I just need raw signals going to my tracks at the proper levels and my Saffire gets that job done.

added thought..... most any modern computer will do a fine job with recording.... 7200 rpm drives are something you do need to specifically look for since most laptops will have slower 5400rpm drives.  Greg is spot on in his post above on the computer and interface.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    DallasSteve
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/11/30 00:41:28 (permalink)
    Wow.  I appreciate all the help, but I'm not sure I know enough to digest it all.  I did a search on Amazon for audio interface.  Of the first 9 results 2 were Focusrite, 4 were Behringer, and 3 were other brands.  Very interesting to me, one of them was the mixer I own, the Behringer Xenyx 802.  To me it looks friggin cool with all its dials and buttons, but it doesn't have a USB output.  I could probably buy a patch from the Outs to USB.  There were also these two audio interfaces from Behringer and Focusrite.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-BEHRINGER-XENYX/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1417324823&sr=1-2&keywords=audio+interface

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1417324823&sr=1-1&keywords=audio+interface

There were also another Behringer that looks more like the Focusrite:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UM2-Audio-Interface/dp/B00EK1OTZC/ref=sr_1_5?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1417324823&sr=1-5&keywords=audio+interface

So why do I want to spend $149 on the Focusrite instead of $49 on one of the Behringers or buying a USB patch for my mixer?

Thanks

Steve
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/11/30 09:30:43 (permalink)
    The pre-amps in the Focusrites are superior to the Behringer's, as are the analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog (A/D, D/A) converters.
    Make sure that whatever you get is compatible with Windows 7 and/or 8 (whatever OS the new computer has).

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    spacealf
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/11/30 13:54:10 (permalink)
    The 302USB says it can run (at least to me without checking further) power off of USB, does not say recording via USB. That would have to be checked. The 302 Behringer also has no MIDI port.

The second one (Focusrite) is only 2 analog inputs, it has no MIDI port either if you need one.

The third one - Audiophile 48 kHz resolution for professional audio quality - implies that it records up to sample rate 48kHz - no MIDI port.

The choice is yours, but wording in advertisements (or features) may have to be checked on any such unit you buy to make sure you are getting a unit you want. (that may mean also going to a local music store to view the unit and all of that). With on-line buying places, make sure the unit has and does what you want it to.

Otherwise I already bought my unit, so again the choice of what you get is up to you.
    I like stereo inputs for - effects (usually effects are stereo while some may be used mono).

Scoot
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/12/01 06:10:24 (permalink)
    Something to consider if you go down the Laptop route, is if it had a DVD drive, you can later swap this out for an SSD drive (you'll need a caddy). SO instead of investing in a 7200 rpm drive to replace the 5400, a second SSD will spread the load and be faster. Of course you can later change the 5400 as well.

32bit windows only allows 4gb of ranm then can't use it all, so aim for 64bit if you are looking for 8gb of ram or more. You'll see the specs in my signature, this has so far been fine. But having shifted slightly towards more sample based (XLN Addictive keys and drums) it's starting to strain. I am looking at the Hewitt Packard Envy series, but these are the only higher spec option in the country I live in. I have seen some positive feedback from forum members with this range of laptops, who are generally Aussies, which is not so far from me.

HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO i7 -4510U CPU @ 2.00 GHZ 8gb RAM. Windows 8.1 64bit Full HD Touchscreen
    Sonar X3 Producer, AAS Complete set, XLN AD Keys and Drums, TH2
    Roland Quad Capture, AudioTeckina 3035 Mic and ATH-M50 Headphones.
    Korg Nanopad2, WX5 Midi Sax, , Soprano Sax, Alto and Soprano Flute, Acoustic Guitar and Epiphone Dot

Scoot not scook
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: What Computer Specs Do You Recommend? 2014/12/01 08:36:10 (permalink)
    spacealf
    The 302USB says it can run (at least to me without checking further) power off of USB, does not say recording via USB. That would have to be checked. The 302 Behringer also has no MIDI port.

behringer mixers with USB ARE soundcards/audio interfaces.
    however, since I can't find specs on it (even on behringer's website) I suspect that this is a 16bit DAC and probably uses the USB Codec for drivers.  I never recommend a 16bit interface for anyone doing recording.  24bit is easily obtainable and yields much better results.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1