External Mic Preamp

Author
Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
2014/11/26 21:28:31 (permalink)

External Mic Preamp

I have been thinking of getting an external mic pre and am eyeing the Focusrite ISA One. Would I benefit from using an external pre? I am wondering if this pre is better than the pre built into my Saffire interface. I also like the fact that it's a DI as well. Any insight is appreciated.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-isa-one-classic-single-channel-mic-pre?rNtt=focusrite isa one&index=1

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.

2 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: External Mic Preamp 2014/11/27 13:11:08 (permalink)
    The ISA One is a step above just about any interface preamp.  It has a transformer which gives it different saturation characteristics than transformerless designs.  Commonly adds thickness, tho the type of transformer used isn't as vintage as other units (like the Warm audio or API or vintage neve).  It has a "bigger" sound to my ears than my TC Konnekt's preamps (which sounded better than my presonus).

Let me say the above difference isn't night and day except in East Placebo-land.  But if you use it for a while you'll see (or hear) what I mean.  It is a high gain preamp (80 dBs with everything to the max) which means you can use your mic farther away from the subject being recorded, which has benefits (as long as the room ain't awful).  It gives you more options and a slightly more refined sound.  There is a lot of little things a pro preamp can do that the garden variety interface preamp can't do or handle.  But it ain't magic, so don't expect it to be.  It is also something you won't outgrow and won't die after a couple of years use.  You might not put it in your will, but you can use it until then.

It also has a lot of other tricks.  Most preamps (like the warm above also around $400 but more "vintage" sounding) will also do DI.  But the One has two ins/outs so you can record vocals and your guitar at one time.  Granted, there is only one transformer so the DI goes w/o it when used in mic/DI role.  If used as a DI only it uses the transformer, and makes an excellent bass DI.  There is also an impedance switch, which gives the mic different sounds and really helps w/ a ribbon mic.  There is also a nice DA you can put into it.

I reviewed at the "Scotsman Review" web site you can look up.  But the above mostly just sez what it does.

It is well worth the money if you are looking for the last couple of inches in sound generation and are interested in learning good engineering.  You don't need it to make quality sound, but it helps w/ the job.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: External Mic Preamp 2014/11/27 22:02:19 (permalink)
    Mosvalve
    I have been thinking of getting an external mic pre 

Buy local: http://www.pendulumaudio.com/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1