Helpful ReplyAny way of viewing the ProChannel in Track View?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: Any way of viewing the ProChannel in Track View? 2014/11/27 12:23:40 (permalink)
Anderton
I guess my main question is why you need to see which ProChannel modules are in a track. For me, the PC is 99% about EQ and dynamics. So I need to adjust those on a per-track basis, which makes the inspector ideal...select, adjust, move on, forget unless re-adjustment is needed later.

Sure. I record, edit, and mix as part of an ongoing process, and I use a lot of plugins - maybe 5 to 7 per track is common. So really, if I use the ProChannel, I'd need to put some or all of my VSTs in its own FX Chain, and I'd be adjusting everything regularly. If something sounds a bit wrong, it's an extra place I have to check to see if it's the cause. I just don't like there being part of the signal chain that is hidden from Track View.

And of course the Navigator is modal, so you can stick it anywhere. Personally, I use two monitors and have one view with the Track View in all its glory and the other with Console view expanded to its fullest, and switch between them with D. To me that's the best of both worlds, and as John said, allows me "to see what you need to see when you need to see it."

One day I will be able to run 2 monitors, and may find that these problems are diminished! I still don't like that the ProChannel is not represented anywhere in Track View, however. I don't want to have to look in 2 places to work out what is potentially happening to my signal. (I guess this also applied in 8.5 when the Sonitus EQs were available in a similar way, but I ignored that then for the same reasons.)

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Any way of viewing the ProChannel in Track View? 2014/11/27 12:25:45 (permalink)
FWIW, I don't think the solution is trying to re-create in X3 what works in 8.5. I was a "track view forever" guy, even through X1. I felt the Console View was merely an eye candy concession to people who think Pro Tools is great.

However, as I learned more about screensets, the D command, the Multidock, auto-zoom, and Quick Grouping, I eventually created three environments optimized for tracking, editing, and mixing. Then I learned enough to sub-divide editing into three more environments - clip-based arranging, "Sound Forge"-type waveform editing, and MIDI editing. I could call up any of these with a single screenset click, and once in the environment, a keyboard shortcut or two could modify the environment further.

The improvement in workflow has been a revelation. I have never been able to get so much done, so well, in so little time with any program. 

However, I cannot emphasize enough that half of learning the X series is "unlearning" 8.5. It took me a while, but if the X series disappeared and I had to go back to 8.5, I'd probably switch to a different DAW that came as close as possible to X3.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Any way of viewing the ProChannel in Track View? 2014/11/27 12:46:03 (permalink)
Great post Craig. I tried to say the same thing in a much earlier post but you say it way better!

Thanks Scook it is a typo and its fixed now. Sorry to Craig too. 

Best
John
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Any way of viewing the ProChannel in Track View? 2014/11/27 12:51:01 (permalink)
Gotta get that broken c fixed on that keyboard.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Any way of viewing the ProChannel in Track View? 2014/11/27 12:58:27 (permalink)
+1 to the above, there are a lot of ways to shift views quite elegantly in X3. I personally run my second monitor only with SONAR (primarily for Console View/VST GUIs), but if on one screen I use D and Shift-D (maximize/restore-to-size dock) a lot. That function is incredibly quick. Screensets allow for a lot more customization, but I admit I do not use them often as they take a second to load.

Out of curiosity, what screen resolution is the OP running? I run 1920x1080 on my main and am thinking what you are trying to achieve would be best with the screenset/dock advice. If you set up your docking panel to your liking D/Shift-D is the fastest view shift you can achieve (barring a second monitor).

+1 as well to the feature request to know if the PC is engaged in the track view. I have had a few instances of wanting this myself.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re: Any way of viewing the ProChannel in Track View? 2014/11/27 17:44:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2014/11/27 22:19:44
Kylotan
FastBikerBoy
It's taking a while to figure out exactly what you want......but don't give up on screensets so easily. They are very, very versatile. Does this one help?

Closer! Now add in a couple of hundred pixels for the Navigator at the top... and make each track taller so that slip editing and fading isn't a game of hunt-the-pixel, and we're better off. (Still, you can see how ridiculous it is to need to have a separate window just for the ProChannel with everything else on the left. :) )

Also, what's your resolution? That screen looks taller than mine.

My screen resolution in 1920 x 1080.

IMHO you'd be better off to stop fighting the program and stop trying to use it like it is 8.5 or earlier. I found it worth taking a short time to learn the "new" ways. The program then starts to make sense. Keypresses D, Shift + D, I, etc along with the screensets all make work so much quicker than earlier versions could ever be.

The navigator now floats if you want it to so there's no need to have it "stuck" at the top although you can of course if you want it there. Something like this.

Personally I tend to use the inspector all the time. I have it floating and as track focus changes it follows. If I want all track strips at once I use the CV. It's only a keypress away once it's in the multidock.

With a floating inspector it looks like this...... (I have mine shrunk a little)

and all you need to do is press "D" and "I" to get to this instantly.

Autozoom makes life easier for a decent track height if you want it and like most other of the useful tools can be turned on or off as needed or not as the case may be.

I have several screensets all set up for a particular task and switch between them as required. It becomes automatic after a while.

I posted about them here, which gives you an idea of what can be done with them but they can be anything that you want them to be.

Bottom line is if you want to use the FX in the same way as 8.5 then you can but the prochannel is there should you wish to use it. I personally like it because there's no need to have a hundred and one FX windows open.

Ultimately there's only going to be so much info that'll fit on a screen at the same time and given the huge range of functions in Sonar all at once is never going to work. Screensets and the new shortcuts make adapting the view to your needs at any given moment both quick and easy.

YMMV of course.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Any way of viewing the ProChannel in Track View? 2014/11/27 17:51:38 (permalink)
Karl, another home run! Sorry, whats the cricket equivalent? 

Best
John
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: Any way of viewing the ProChannel in Track View? 2014/11/28 15:48:22 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy
IMHO you'd be better off to stop fighting the program and stop trying to use it like it is 8.5 or earlier. I found it worth taking a short time to learn the "new" ways. The program then starts to make sense. Keypresses D, Shift + D, I, etc along with the screensets all make work so much quicker than earlier versions could ever be.

Really, I'm not fighting anything. My workflow is perfectly fine, unless I want to use the ProChannel, which is inconveniently hidden. I'll probably just never use it. It's not worth the effort, as far as I can see.

The navigator now floats if you want it to so there's no need to have it "stuck" at the top although you can of course if you want it there. Something like this.

I want it at the top. I use it often so may as well have it docked. If it's floating, it's in the way of something else.

and all you need to do is press "D" and "I" to get to this instantly.

Autozoom makes life easier for a decent track height if you want it and like most other of the useful tools can be turned on or off as needed or not as the case may be.

I can't work with tracks that short, but obviously Autozoom is something I need to look into.

Bottom line is if you want to use the FX in the same way as 8.5 then you can but the prochannel is there should you wish to use it. I personally like it because there's no need to have a hundred and one FX windows open.

If I could put the ProChannel in the FX bin there would be no problem. :)

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1