Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1

Author
kaczor954
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2014/11/05 08:30:42 (permalink)

Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1

Hi,

I bought used Projectmix interface and control surface, but I have problem with it as a Control surface for Sonar X1 Producer.
I saw a lot of people here using Projectmix and probably know how to solve my problems.
So what I'd like to know:
1. Which is the right control surface type (choosed in Preferences)? I'm using VS-700 now, because the "Mackie control" didn't work.
2. Is it possible to see names of the track on the Projectmix display?
3. Is it possible to control the master/busses?

Regards, 
Tom

9 Replies Related Threads

Musikus
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re: Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1 2014/11/10 04:05:43 (permalink)
    I use the projectmix with Sonar X3 producer. It works quite well.
    You have to start the projectmix in sonar-mode (pressing AUX 4 on startup). In Sonar I chose "mackie control" and projectmix control surface for IN and OUT.
    Do you have the manual? You can download it on the m-audio homepage.
    Most functions described in the manual (it´s from 2005!) still work with sonar X3. I checked so far:
    - volume, pan, rec, solo, mute, select
    - bank select
    - transport control
    - zoom
    - master fader can be used to control main output of audiointerface or master bus
    - AUX 1: Page 1 and 2 seem to work as described
    - AUX 2: EQ control doesn´t work, because now it´s the pro channel, couldn´t get it to work
    - AUX 3: switch to busses works
    - AUX 4: new audio track, OK!
    - AUX 5: new midi track, OK!
    - PAN: both pages OK!
    - PLUGIN: controls the first plugin in the channel, depends on what you have first. standard is the compressor in my pro channel. Isn´t really useful, because I found no way to switch to other plugins.
    - SEL IN: Undo, OK!
    - SEL OUT: fits trackview to window, OK!
    - FLIP: changes rotaries and faders, OK!
    - CHAN INFO: Haven´t checked

More I can´t remember right now. When I´m back at my sonar I´ll check and perhaps post some more details.

To control other functions in sonar with the projectmix you can setup the "midi-part" as an act-controller in sonar.
    There´s a button (MIDI) on the projectmix to switch the controller to a standard midi-controller. You can setup the 8 faders, 8 rotaries and 8 buttons in the act-setup. I don´t really like the act-procedure because it´s not very intuitive. Haven´t used the projectmix with act for a long time. Act as well gives no feedback, the motor-faders don´t work with act. When you switch back to mackie-mode the faders move back to there positions for sure.

Intel i7 4790K, 16 GB, Win10 64 bit
    Sonar Platinum, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Avid Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 12, NI Maschine
    kaczor954
    Re: Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1 2014/11/10 07:07:00 (permalink)
    ok, thanks! 
    What about the projectmix display? Is it work in mackie control configuration? I mean, is it possible to see the names of the tracks? 
    Musikus
    Re: Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1 2014/11/10 07:20:45 (permalink)
    Yes, you have several things displayed on the display. In regular mixing mode for example (PAN button selected) you see the trackname in the first row and "Pan" in the second row. Moving the rotaries shows the pan-value, moving the faders the volume-value (dB).
    The display is not able to show longer tracknames. It shows just 6 letters, but it reduces tracknames. For example a trackname "Dimension Pro 1" is shown as something like "DmPr1", I don´t know exactly. With well chosen names it´s not a problem to me.

Sonar Platinum, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Avid Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 12, NI Maschine
    kaczor954
    Re: Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1 2014/11/10 08:05:03 (permalink)
    ok, I set up the Mackie Control but it doesn't work in this configuration. " />
    Musikus
    Re: Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1 2014/11/10 09:02:25 (permalink)
    When I´m at home I´ll have a look at my settings.

Please check these points:
    - Did you start the projectmix in sonar mode? Does it show "Projectmix is in sonar mode" ?
    - Does the audiointerface of the projectmix work?
    - What kind of firewire-card do you use? TI-chipset recommended.
    - With windows 7 use the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) driver. Check in the windows device manager!
    - Do you use the latest drivers from M-Audio?

kaczor954
    Re: Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1 2014/11/25 19:39:03 (permalink)
    1. Yes I start the PM in sonar mode and the display shows this text all the time ;/
    2. I check only the output and it works well... 
    3. I use the Firewire form my ASUS p8h67-m evo Motherboard
    4. The system shows that I'm using the 1394 OHCI driver
    5. I didn't have the latest drivers, but now I have and it's still doesn't.
    I can't use the Mackie Control - then the PM totally doesn't work :( When I use it as a VS - 700 - the faders are working well, but I can't control the BUSES and the display doesn't work :/

Any ideas? 

Musikus
    Re: Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1 2014/11/27 16:44:38 (permalink)
    Two problems maybe :
    1. No TI chipset! It's VIA on your mainboard.
    2. You have to change manually to the "legacy" in the windows device manager.

http://forum.cakewalk.com...for-Win7-m2506989.aspx

kaczor954
    Re: Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1 2014/11/27 18:52:47 (permalink)
    so without TI Chipset it will not work? 
    I tried to change the driver, but I have only the "old" driver - with this old driver PM doesn't work. 
    Musikus
    Re: Problem with M-Audio PROJECTMIX and Sonar X1 2014/11/28 05:02:55 (permalink)
    There are a lot discussions on the web about the firewire problems with audio hardware. At first I owned a PCI combicard with USB and firewire. It had a VIA chipset and I couldn´t get the projectmix working. Then I bought a belkin card with TI-chipset and it started working. It might work with other chipsets, but there´s no proof.

The "legacy" driver is the "old" driver for the firewire device. I´m not talking about the m-audio drivers for the projectmix. These are two differnet things!!!
    I wonder that you can use the outputs of the projectmix? It seems that your firewire chipset might work.
    The VS-700 mode uses its own version of mackie control, so the faders might work, but you are not able to switch to the busses.

Do you start up the projectmix before running you PC? That´s what you have to do.

It´s all very strange, because sonar seems to recognize your projectmix, but only part of it???
    Maybe I can make some screenshots of my settings this weekend and I´ll post them here.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1