What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice?

Author
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
2014/11/22 12:39:56 (permalink)

What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice?

I've already got a modded Ibanez Tube Screamer but I like to kick it in the butt sometimes by adjusting the output of my Barb EQ or my Barber Tone Press.  I want to save myself the trouble of bending over and changing settings by adding another boost pedal in the signal chain.   

What do you have doing the same sort of thing?
post edited by Mod Bod - 2014/11/22 16:39:53

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 

28 Replies Related Threads

drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/22 14:14:00 (permalink)
    I have a Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker II, which has both clean boost and "blues" modes. The blues mode does a nice job of adding just a bit of dirt without messing things up.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/22 19:08:57 (permalink)
    A Tube Screamer and a RAT.

backwoods
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2571
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/22 19:32:15 (permalink)
    I have one of these:
    http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/crowther-hot-cake-overdrive-pedal.html

It is a bit of a legendary piece of kit. The guy who invented it played in Split Enz. Not sure if you can source them over there but if you get a chance you should demo one.
    Jeff M.
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/23 13:00:42 (permalink)
    I use a Maxon OD808 for a clean boost.

Platinum 64
    RME UCX | Studio Cat Platinum: i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 | Win 7 64
    Komplete Kontrol S61
    Gibson, Jackson, Parker, Suhr, Breedlove, Taylor, Lakland, Peavey, Marshall, Kemper
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/24 09:05:33 (permalink)

bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/24 12:50:12 (permalink)
    I love my Barber Direct Drive. It's plays nicely with my TS.

Rocky
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/24 15:33:29 (permalink)
    Siegmund Double Drive, Lovetone Brown Source and  Jacques fuse blower - mainly  use the Siegmund and Lovetone as I like the tones I can get from them - the Fuse blower can be a bit more extreme
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/24 18:05:47 (permalink)
    I love my Mesa Boogie "Tone Burst", it's clean and powerful. Has true tube tone. And it's as clean or slight breakup if you want. It also has great bass and treble controls, along with a level and gain controls. I think it even has some slight compression going on, but that may be in my mind!!

I have it set to clean with a slight boost and keep it on all the time. I love the tone and how it affects the attack of my playing. I have it going into my other distortion boxes.

I may get rid of some of my other distortion boxes, but not this one. It's a keeper for sure.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/24 20:39:35 (permalink)
    Mooer Green Mile.  retail $75 Can. 
    I sat in a store and tried a whole bunch of overdrive pedals. The Mooer sounds like my Fender Princeton when I turn it up. I play mostly clean but when I want overdrive I want it to sound like I just turned the amp past 7 but without the volume boost. This does that perfectly.
    Plus see the little toggle?  You can use that to just get a volume boost without adding any more overdrive too. Two pedals in one, very versatile.  
    It's obviously trying to clone a Tube Screamer. I have a brand new tube screamer and the Mooer blows it away for Bluesy overdrive, way smoother. 

http://www.mooeraudio.co.uk/c/pedals

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/index.php/guitars/guitar-bass-effects/163784.html

post edited by johnnyV - 2014/11/25 15:56:47

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/25 12:11:21 (permalink)
    I have a Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker II, which has both clean boost and "blues" modes. The blues mode does a nice job of adding just a bit of dirt without messing things up.

I've got one of these Bluesbreaker II's as well, Drew; I like it and think that it does its thing pretty well.  I have a TS-9 that just has never really done it for me.

I just got this OD pedal a couple of months ago, at the recommendation of Herb.  I am liking the smooth overdriven tones that I get from it as well.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/26 00:59:18 (permalink)
    Don't forget about Keely pedals. He makes several boxes that are for just clean boost.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Sidroe
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1954
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/27 08:51:30 (permalink)
    I have a drawer full of overdrives and distortion pedals. I pretty much just use the POD HD500 these days but there are two overdrives that sit out where I can grab them. One is a modified Boss Super Overdrive SD-1. I collect the Boss pedals because they were the first "PRO" (lol) pedals I could afford when I started out.
    The other pedal is fairly new to the market. The Electro-Harmonix Soul Food. It is supposed to be an assembly line version of a Klon Centaur. I am pretty impressed with it sound-wise and it only costs about $75.
    I have always had to have at least two overdrives on my pedal board. Mainly because of flexibility for recording and most groups I played live with played such a variety of material it was almost a necessity.
    Anyway, pedal-wise I would give the Soul Food a shot. I think you will find it to your liking.

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/27 19:34:47 (permalink)
    I suspect most guitarists who've played for a while end up with a stack of dirt pedals. They seem the most "personal" effect there is, what one loves another hates. For me now it depends on what I'm looking for and the guitar and amp.

The SD-1 is good but has a bit of a mid hump that might be too much on top of a tubescreamer's mid boost. The SD-1 also compresses. Basically it's Boss's version of the tubescreamer circuit but with asymmetric clipping and a bit more transparency. Straight from the factory they're pretty versatile, cheap and have been around for ages. I much prefer them to the tubescreamer. The slight differences from the expensively modified versions don't make much difference to my ears and fingers. Though if you use humbuckers snipping the C6 capacitor off the pcb (it acts as a low pass filter which isn't really needed) can open up an SD-1 and reduce the nasal tone nicely.

The EHX Soul Food is, as Sidroe says, very good indeed. Nice buffer you can choose to use or not, great touch sensitivity at low gain settings, with a bit of compression and mid boost at higher gain. Nice blues pedal and stacks after other O/Ds or fuzzes very well. Does it sound the same as a Klon? Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly isn't $1500+ less good. The EHX OD Glove also has its fans (kind of an OCD clone).

My current personal favourites are a Dunlop mini-fuzz face immediately after the guitar. Silicon for 'buckers, germanium for single coils. Run the gain flat out, then as you back off the guitar volume the tone brightens and fuzz decreases. You can get some nice overdrive/edge of distortion touch sensitive sounds that way. Nothing responds to the guitar quite like a simple fuzzface circuit and the Dunlop ones are fine. No need to pay "boutique" prices for a circuit that uses a handful of cheap components.

Then for Tweedy Fender sounds, Lovepedal Les Lius or a clone. Everything from a bit of break up to Neil Young's "clean" tone. Run a fuzzface into it for the Young "spluttering old Deluxe about to explode" sound. For vintage Marshall-on-10 a Catalinbread DLS. Mine's a Mark 1, the current Mk3 is a little different but still impressive. Their HiWatts in a box sound pretty good as well.

Pigtonix Aria if you can find one. Diode clipping similar to the OCD/Distortion+ but with good three-band eq. Very open sound and very flexible. Pigtronix seem to have discontinued it recently for some reason.

The Distortion+ is also worth considering. Not a huge amount of volume on tap, gain starts as overdrive and gets a bit fuzzy when cranked. Has a dreadful bypass so best placed after a buffer.

Truth be told, lots of overdrives on the market are pretty similar - there are some stand-out ones but an awful lot amount to a slight modification to an SD-1/tubescreamer circuit. In the same way there are a lot of slight variations of the fuzz face, Dist+ and Big Muff out there.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/11/30 12:10:48 (permalink)
    Jordan J-700. I also like the Tech21 Comp-Tortion (you have to tweak the comp low). I usually use those two together. The old Jordan is an amazing pedal. It goes from OD to Dist to fuzz. IIRC, Joe Walsh used one on Rocky Mountain Way, it will nail that tone, turn it all the way up and it is Spirit in the Sky. They are getting expensive on Ebay, I saw one last week for about 500 bucks. If you find a good deal on one, get it. The SD Pickup Booster is a pretty cool little pedal too with a good boost and three different "pickup" settings. Oh, the Comp-Tortion has a 21db clean boost it you just use the level and keep the dist and comp turned al the way down. It never seemed to catch on and I imagine you can find one pretty cheap. The compression/distortion combination on it isn't as noisy as that combination usually is. The comp is good and the distortion is the same a Cobain used... I like it, but the J-700 is a real GEM.

>edit When I play Fender amps I almost always use a Boss Bass EQ pedal, I have a Boss EQ pedal but the Bass EQ will tame any flub you might get in a Fender sometime. Just drop the lows a little (you can also boost arund 800 and get a little more into a Marshall sort of spin). I use it on Tweed Champs, SF Champs and a CVR with Rajin Cajun speakers. The stock alnicos are ready to flub as soon as you plug in. I put some Weber C10Qs in it but those things are really too loud and too heavy. Anyway... Boss Bass EQ is a revelation with Fender amps, IMO... and it has a boost too!

Another note. Since getting a Mesa Mark V, I don't need OD or Distortion pedals, but I did have to read the manual three times!

J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    Dave Modisette
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/01 19:46:35 (permalink)
    bluzdog
    I love my Barber Direct Drive. It's plays nicely with my TS.

Rocky

I'm leaning toward this pedal as well since I've been pleased with my other Barber pedals.

My music.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/02 15:00:21 (permalink)

the tube screamer killer.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/02 15:01:14 (permalink)
    but this is better

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/02 15:03:18 (permalink)
    my current pedalboard:

that direct drive SS is a "Katrina Relief" pedal i bought from dave barber, back when he was doing a katrina fund raiser...

it is a super sport, but in a unique package.

my go to solo lead pedal.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/02 15:09:27 (permalink)
    also...
    running the DDSS at 18v....

a must.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/03 06:24:47 (permalink)
    tlw
    My current personal favourites are a Dunlop mini-fuzz face immediately after the guitar. Silicon for 'buckers, germanium for single coils. Run the gain flat out, then as you back off the guitar volume the tone brightens and fuzz decreases. You can get some nice overdrive/edge of distortion touch sensitive sounds that way. Nothing responds to the guitar quite like a simple fuzzface circuit and the Dunlop ones are fine. No need to pay "boutique" prices for a circuit that uses a handful of cheap components.

Yes.  I have one of the red ones (germanium) and it is amazing how it responds to the guitar volume.  I use it like you describe, but I also use it into another pedal (either a Wampler Sovereign or Triple Wreck).  Rolling off the volume a bit I get a nice tight mid-to-hi gain sound that is very similar to what I'd get without the fuzz.  Bring it back up and it's that thick, juicy lead tone I just love.  From what I've read about these things I think the blue one would be a better match for my pickups, but the red one still works well for this purpose.  If you don't already have a fuzz pedal these are a very good start.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/03 08:49:53 (permalink)
    MakeShift

I just got this OD pedal a couple of months ago, at the recommendation of Herb.  I am liking the smooth overdriven tones that I get from it as well.

I bought this for the paint job it has.....

No, not really, I too got it at the recommendation of a player I have great respect for.  I was lamenting the tone on the Fender Tele I had bought and was considering selling. I just couldn't seem to get a decent tone that I liked. The Gibson SG I have has great tone and I had always played it with a straight cord.... no pedals. I haven't used pedals in decades, preferring the sound of the tubes in the amp for tone.  The Tele was giving me fits trying to dial in a tone I liked. 

So my buddy Rick read one of my posts and suggested that before I sell the Tele, to spend the $30 or so and get the Joyo Ultimate Drive and see if that would solve the tone issue. Indeed..... problem was solved as the Joyo added the right amount of sweet, smooth, distortion to let the amps work their magic in fine fashion.

It is the only pedal I use in my guitar signal chain.  The amps are my Mesa Boogie Studio 22w and my POD2 modeling preamp.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/04 00:48:04 (permalink)
    Right now I'm using a 64 princeton  -clean - a first version Sansamp  into a Roland RE 501 tape delay w reverb and bucket brigade chorus. I'm looking to mod the 501 to mix back the chorus a bit. Great sound but it's default to about 50/50 mix - I want to scale it back. The Sans amp is dialed way back to almost nothing on the drive settings and it gets a really good subtle drive for jazz and fusion work.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Dave Modisette
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/07 14:46:18 (permalink)
    FWIW I finally settled on the new more compact version of the Direct Drive. I found one used and it didn't look like I could lose in that selection.

My music.
    batsbrew
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/07 19:52:32 (permalink)
    there are so many good pedals on the market now....
    but you cannot go wrong with the barber direct drive.
    it is a really nice piece of kit.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/08 12:23:15 (permalink)
    be sure to try it in 18v

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Living Room Rocker
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/12 13:30:11 (permalink)
    I usually go through a Digitech multiprocessor.  But when I want a different (hard) sound, I go to my old Boss Super Distortion Feedbacker (DF 2).  It may no longer available, but this little puppy just kills with excellent driven tone.  (I'm a tone freek.)  As for the feedbacker, it's gimmicky and I really don't use it.  It seemed cool then I first bought the peddle, but natural feedback, when desired, sound much better anyhow.

Well, that's my contribution.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
    Dave Modisette
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/14 19:22:28 (permalink)
    The Direct Drive finally got plugged in today and it seems to fit the need very well.  

On another note, I also got a Digitech Luxe pedal and I really like it as well.  Reminds me of the Boss Dimension C somewhat.  It gives you the shimmer without the chorus-ey effect.

My music.
    batsbrew
    Re: What is your second boost/overdrive pedal choice? 2014/12/16 12:17:17 (permalink)
    18 volts.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1