Updated Cakewalk Generic Surface Plugin

Author
robinettl
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2014/11/27 23:29:17 (permalink)

Updated Cakewalk Generic Surface Plugin

I believe the following enhancements would make the Generic Surface plugin even more useful and easier to use:

- Double the amount of ACT controls available for a given context.  Currently there is a maximum of 16 spots available.  This means I can only use half the controls on my control surface, which has 8 sliders and 24 rotary encoders
   - The ability to remove control assignments for a given plugin.  Currently, it seems the only way to unmap these assignments is by editing the underlying XML files
   - Greater editing flexibility of ACT assignments.  Currently, the only way to assign a physical control to a plugin's parameters is clicking the parameter and using ACT Learn.  In the lower half of the Generic Surface window, where the plugin mappings are displayed for the current context, it would be great if the displayed parameter next to each physical control was a drop-down menu where the user could simply change which parameter is to be associated with that control, including an option for "none."  For example, an EQ plugin has focus.  In the Generic Surface window, next to control #3 in the ACT section, there's a drop-down menu.  Clicking it, I get to see all available parameters -- band 1 freq, band 1 Q, output gain, bypass, etc -- for the plugin.
   - A way to clear all mappings for the plugin currently in context.  While the auto-mapping that takes place can sometimes be helpful, other times it just creates even more manual work if you don't like the default assignments and have to edit all of them one by one.  Sometimes I just want a blank slate.
   - A clean, simple librarian view showing all hardware surfaces in one column, the associated plugins for the selected surface in another column, and the assignments for the selected plugin in another column.  Here, users could un-learn mappings, delete associations between surfaces and plugins, clearly see exactly what has been learned, backup, import and export maps, etc.  I'm thinking something similar to the revamped Plugin Manager we got a few versions ago

2 Replies Related Threads

Scoot
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    Re: Updated Cakewalk Generic Surface Plugin 2014/11/28 00:44:33 (permalink)
    A range option as well, so a knob may turn from 0-100%, but effect a range of say 60-80%, increasing its sensitivity. This would also make short throw faders more usable, and real time controllers like breath more tunable.
    Maybe include a scale rate, so one end is more sensitive than the other

HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO i7 -4510U CPU @ 2.00 GHZ 8gb RAM. Windows 8.1 64bit Full HD Touchscreen
    Sonar X3 Producer, AAS Complete set, XLN AD Keys and Drums, TH2
    Roland Quad Capture, AudioTeckina 3035 Mic and ATH-M50 Headphones.
    Korg Nanopad2, WX5 Midi Sax, , Soprano Sax, Alto and Soprano Flute, Acoustic Guitar and Epiphone Dot

Scoot not scook
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Updated Cakewalk Generic Surface Plugin 2014/11/29 05:52:24 (permalink)
    As you could notice, CW has published the source code. So everything is your (our) hands.

Near all mentioned features are possible with my plug-in (link in signature). Note that "Possible" does not mean easy achievable, but that can be improved.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1