RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs

Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
2014/11/28 04:49:53 (permalink)

RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/27/sport/australia-cricket-phil-hughes-obit/

I'm surprised Steve hasn't already remarked on this!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!

9 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs 2014/11/28 11:13:30 (permalink)
    Yes, saw this on the news on Wednesday. What a terrible accident. Cannot imagine how the bowler feels.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    tedmiami
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs 2014/11/28 12:06:45 (permalink)
    Such a shame, such a sad loss of a young, talented, person, and such an horrific accident. It was an accident though, so please while giving thoughts and prayers to Phil Hughes family please also think similarly for bowler, Sean Abbot and his family. My thoughts go out to both families and their friends.

Tunes and Songs
    backwoods
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2571
    Re: RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs 2014/11/28 16:32:59 (permalink)
    Very sad for the Hughes family and like tedmiami said, must be shocking for the bowler too.

But..... I am very surprised the cricket world has been stopped by it. Day two of Pak v NZ was called off and there is talk that the next Aus v India test will be cancelled. Well, it's just not cricket to me. Put on a black arm band and if you are personallly too grieved to play let someone else take your place but it is a bit ridiculous.

Maggie Thatcher survived a bomb assasination attempt and lost several staff but still went to work the next day!

Stiff upper lip gentlemen- please!!!
    craigb
    Re: RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs 2014/11/28 17:23:01 (permalink)
    I seem to recall that Miss Thatcher also wore a bowler once.
    (I didn't even know she liked hats.)

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re: RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs 2014/11/29 17:28:00 (permalink)

A tragic incident indeed.

Thankfully, severe injury and death as a result of being struck by the ball is extremely rare. Statistics seem to suggest that the vast majority of on-field fatalities during cricket matches are as a result of a player suffering a heart attack.

I played a lot of cricket when I was (much) younger, and umpired a fair bit since, and the worse directly cricket-related injury I've witnessed was a broken jaw when a batsmen was struck by a vicious short-pitched delivery. As it so happens, I was the bowler, and I still remember the feeling of cold terror that swept through me when the poor chap went down. With less serious injuries and glancing head blows, the batsmen may often stagger around and try to keep on his feet, or just sit down and try to regain his composure. But this guy went straight down, he was out cold before he hit the deck. Thankfully he came round really quickly, and was taken to hospital. The fracture wasn't serious and he returned later on that afternoon.

This was at a time when a fair few pros had started wearing helmets, but they were still a rarity in League cricket. In the situation I've described above, a helmet with a front grille would have almost certainly prevented the batsman's injury. It's good to see that helmet wearing for batsmen has been compulsory for players under the age of 18 for a while now.

Mind you, having said that, I often wonder if, to a certain extent, the wearing of helmets and increasing amounts of protective padding is something of a double-edged coin. For most of cricket's history, the only additional protection afforded a batsman would have been steel toe-capped boots, leg pads, a box/cup, and maybe a towel fashioned as a crude thigh pad.

With the head (especially) exposed, I do believe that two significant factors in these pre-helmet, pre-body padding days helped contribute to the extremely low rates of fatalities and serious injuries in the game (at all levels).

Firstly, batsmen were forced to rely on good technique to avoid getting struck by the ball. Batsmen are always taught to watch the ball until the last possible moment before deciding on whether or not to try and play it with the bat, or to take evasive action. It was drilled into us time and again that the worse thing you could do against the short-pitched delivery was to turn your head away. I would say that of the two options of trying to play the ball or avoiding it, those following the avoid technique were much less likely to get hit. And from experience, I'd go as far as to say that those batsmen attempting to hit the short-pitched ball (most likely playing a pull or hook shot) were far more likely to get struck by the ball after they'd made some contact with it with their bat (a top-edge or a bottom-edge) - in other words, good footwork and head position meant they were unlikely to have been hit directly as a result of missing the ball completely.

Tragically in the case of Phil Hughes, it would appear that, although it was a 'freak' hit on an unprotected part of his skull, he had actually turned away from the ball before it struck him.

The other contributing factor to the relatively low frequency of head and upper body injuries in the days before helmets was a code of conduct known as "the fast bowlers' union". As a very general rule, most fast bowlers are not good batsmen, and are therefore likely to be the least capable at avoiding being struck by fast short-pitched bowling. To these ends, it was an unwritten rule that fast bowlers simply didn't bowl fast short-pitched 'bouncers' at each other. It was also considered incredibly unsporting - literally just not cricket - to bowl dangerously at younger players and anyone who it was obvious were not up to the task of adequately protecting themselves. These 'rules' still hold good in a lot of amateur cricket, even when the less-able batsmen are wearing high quality padding and helmets.

As a slight aside, it's not just this specific attitude toward voluntarily trying not to endanger weaker players that has been deliberately coached out of the game. At one time, even most test players would always 'walk' if they'd knowingly been caught behind, even if the umpire hadn't given them out. I remember there being a few well-known 'non-walkers' around when I played - although they were of course under no obligation whatsoever to declare themselves out, but to wait for the umpire to make a decision, they were always thought of as 'cheating' to a certain extent; their actions were considered well within the laws of the game, but certainly not in the spirit of the game. There are a few other technical incidences that fall into the 'spirit of the laws' category that have been consigned to a bygone day, such as the bowler running out the non-striking batsmen, although I think by far it is the fast bowlers' union and the not 'walking' examples that have changed the game the most.

Sadly (in my opinion anyway), this sporting attitude has now been completely lost from the game, from league cricket all the way up to test level. I suppose the 'win at all costs' approach was bound to gain popularity as more money has come into the game. I would argue that by far the biggest factor in this change were Kerry Packer's World Series events; although players had always been encouraged with small win bonuses, the majority of their onfield income came from domestic cricket, and they would receive just a basic match fee for test matches. Packer changed all that. Although I believe what he did in ensuring future generations of cricketers would be paid 'properly', unfortunately there a was a small but noticeable shift in emphasis away from cricket as a form of entertainment to cricket as a totally results-led enterprise.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

backwoods
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2571
    Re: RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs 2014/11/29 18:38:27 (permalink)
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11366588  : Attack of the Killer cricket balls, this must have happened yesterday.

The thing I hated at cricket practice was when I was chatting to someone and then you'd get a call of "HEADS!!!!" which is like in golf "FORE" and you'd have to instantly work out where the cricket ball was and maybe it would be better to just wrap your arms around your head for protection.

I didn't watch the Hughes one and I don't think I will. I didn't know he turned away- that is a pretty common mistake. Akram pinned Lance Cairns like that and that was very nasty. 

craigb
    Re: RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs 2014/11/29 23:57:17 (permalink)
    Never even seen, let alone played, a game of cricket (except for the dart game of the same name).

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs 2014/11/30 00:56:56 (permalink)
    craigb
    Never even seen, let alone played, a game of cricket (except for the dart game of the same name).

You have to see a top level game live to appreciate how fast things move. The foreshortening of the telephoto lenses make it look far more leisurely on the TV.
    I remember watching Ian Botham practicing in the "nets" at Taunton, when you are only a few yards away its impressive.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: RIP Austrailian cricketer Phil Hughs 2014/11/30 15:33:12 (permalink)
    Very sad news indeed.

Listened to a very moving tribute by the Australian cricket captain Michael Clarke who could barely speak through his grief.

And sadly, there's been another fatality:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news..ld-middle-east-30260842

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1