TASCAM US-366 Pre-amps any good?

Author
DragonBlood
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
2014/11/28 08:48:14 (permalink)

TASCAM US-366 Pre-amps any good?

I saw this for $199 and it records 192khz. The focusrite Forte does the same thing but is way more expensive.
Anybody know if the TASCAM sounds any good and what's the difference in sound if its cheaper?
in short, why is the Forte so expensive vs this product.

and does there stuff sound any good.

http://tascam.com/product/us-366/

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/forte

4 Replies Related Threads

BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re: TASCAM US-366 Pre-amps any good? 2014/11/28 09:00:05 (permalink)
    I like Tascam, but I wouldn't record at 192.
    This article helped me tremendously.
    http://www.trustmeimascie...tter-and-when-it-isnt/

James W
    BlixYZ Recording Studio
    BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
    Mackie Control Universal + C4
    Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
    Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
    UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
    Windows 10
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: TASCAM US-366 Pre-amps any good? 2014/11/28 10:24:40 (permalink)
    I'm real interested in the Tascam units because of the optional foot switch that you can get for transport control in your DAW. Haven't seen that feature before on any interface.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: TASCAM US-366 Pre-amps any good? 2014/11/28 11:10:44 (permalink)
    Because it is better hardware? 

I have the Tascam uh-7000 and it is a high-end unit, comparable to the Forte.  The US-366 is a lower-cost unit, like Focusrite's lower cost units.  These usually are made w/ cheaper components and plastic instead of metal, yada yada.  On the up side, more research costs are usually added into the higher end units - such as w/ the Tascam preamps HDDA.  As well as picking how the individual components react to one another - very time consuming and no guarantee that similar, cheaper components give react anything like the more expensive ones.

On the other hand, the difference in quality is small.  You may not notice it.  It takes a good system and training to distinguish many of the subtleties.  Yada Yada Yada.  However, do watch out for side-grading, where you don't actually improve your sound, just spend more money.  Some people will say this brand of lower-cost interfaces have better preamps, but I wonder exactly what they can do to a function that only cost a few dollars max to make it an upgrade.

So it is a personal choice for the home recordists.  One can make perfectly good recordings w/ the Tascam unit - for cheap.  Or spend 3 x as much for the Forté and not hear the difference until you use it for a while.  There is a difference, but whether it is a mountain or molehill is the same thing as recording at 48 or 196.  In fact, I'd say less.  I'll take the slight improvement in front end quality long before hoping that a higher sample rate will improve  poorer sound quality lesser hardware.  I'll take 44.1 through good analog, Alex.

There is a long thread on sample rates on the X forum - take a look.  But 44.1 was chosen by SONY because it hit the Nyquest rate and they could make the hardware cheaply for commercial use.  Lavry and others argued that the best sample rate is around 60.  I suppose 96 was chosen since it was good marketing and the manufactures could easily uprate their components to do double processing, rather than 64 (32 was a sample rate available on early video cameras but never caught on because you can hear the difference).

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: TASCAM US-366 Pre-amps any good? 2014/11/28 13:30:11 (permalink)
    I think most all even cheapo interfaces record at the higher rates these days. 
    But why? I hope you also own a $2,000 mike pre amp and a $5,000 mike and your studio has been professionally acoustically treated etc etc.. Other wise there will be absolutely no benefit.
    You'll just be able to hear all the noise clearer... :)  

Asking how a budget interface "sounds" is loaded question.. You should be way more interested in the features and most important the drivers. 
    There is a lot of choices.
    Make a list of your requirements first.
    What kind of connectivity do you require? and how many of each.
    XLR, 1/4", or Combi jacks,  RCA, line level, Instrument level ,MIDI, SPDIF, ADAT etc.
    How many ins and outs do you think you'll need now and in the future.
    Are they front panel or rear panel?
    Balanced?
    What do other say about the pre amps? Warning, this is subjective!
    Are there peak level meters for each input?
    Are there channel Insert jacks?
    Are there separate controls for Monitor level and headphone level?
    Is there a blend control for mixing Source with Computer ( DAW) ?
    How many Headphone jacks?
    Front/rear panel pad or line / Inst toggle swicthes or software driven?
    Is it a metal box or cheap plastic? Is it light and portable or large and bulky, Rack mountable?
    Does it have an on off switch?
    Does it use Buss power or a power supply? Buss power can have issues with noise and Phantom power.
    Does it have DSP effects built in?
    Does it use a GUI mixer?
    Can it be used as stand alone?
    What are the Round Trip Latency (RTL) specs? Do you need low specs for real time processing?
    Zero Latency monitoring is not the same as RTL. All interfaces have latency.
    And most important of all , Does it have top notch drivers for your OS. 
    What is the word on support from the company?
    Does it come with free software, An LE version of a  DAW you would like to try?

Everyone will recommend the interface they have chosen, that doesn't mean it is the right one for you.

http://forum.dawbench.com...mance-Data-Base/page13

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1