X3: How to change bar time sig without having clips change their musical position?

Author
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
2014/11/29 15:36:35 (permalink)

X3: How to change bar time sig without having clips change their musical position?

Use case: I have an existing project with a section mostly in in 7/8, with some 4/4 bars for variety.

After some rehearsals, I realize that for the solo to work, I need one of the 7/8 bars to be in 4/4  time (bar 24).
If I just change that one bar to 4/4, all the subsequent clips change their musical position:

Notice the clips in bar 25, 26, 27, etc are now all offset. Clearly not what I want. (I used the Click Track to make it very obvious that this is undesirable.)

OK. I don't know why that should happpen - the clips all use the default timebase of "Musical"; they are not locked to "absolute" time...

OK, so let's UNDO that, and try locking the clips first:

Still doesn't work.

Now, I don't think the clips should need to be locked at all, but even if they do, the help file seems to indicate that the clips should not be changing their M:B:T position if they've been locked and the timebase is "Musical":
If the clip is set to the Musical time base, the clip’s M:B:T position stays constant, and its Absolute position shifts. If the clip is set to the Absolute time base, its Absolute position does not move, but its M:B:T position shifts.
So - what's the deal?
  • Do you think this is a bug?
  • What is the recommended way of dealing with this situation?

I'm using Sonar X3 Producer.

1 Reply Related Threads

stickman393
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1528
    Re: X3: How to change bar time sig without having clips change their musical position? 2014/11/30 13:46:13 (permalink)
    I've written up this quirk, along with detailed steps of the work-around on my blog:
    A work-around for SONAR's timeline editing behavior: slippy clips
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1