Blue screen on start up (Solved??)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
2014/12/16 23:16:52 (permalink)

Blue screen on start up (Solved??)

My new build seems to be misbehaving a bit.  

Form day one I get one beep on start up. There was conflicting information on Gigabites web site. One list says this means all OK the other say's there's an issue. 
There is a LED inside that always shows A0. 
I first bought 2 sticks of RAM 
Start up was fine with just the beep, then after a few weeks I'd get a blue screen and "with errors" 
Pressing reset and the computer would boot and run all day fine. 

I just added 2 more sticks of the exact same RAM and the "with errors" disappeared for first 3 boots. Now it is just a blue screen with no message. But the reset button fires it up just fine. 
Any clues of what I have obviously overlooked building this thing? 

Gigabyte Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 Z97
DDR3 PCI-E16 PCI-E8 XFIRE/SLI SATA3
USB3 HDMI DVI Motherboard 

Patriot Viper 3 8GB 2X4GB PC3-12800
DDR3-1600 10-10-10-27 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit - 

Intel Core i5 I5-4460 Haswell 3.2GHZ Processor LGA1150 6MB 

Samsung 840 EVO Series MZ-7TE120BW 120GB 2.5in SATA III 

Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat ATX Mid Tower Case Black 

Cooler Master Extreme 2 Power Plus 725W
ATX 12V Power Supply 20/24PIN 120mm Fan 

Windows 8.1 

All updates and firmware done. 
I tried unplugging all USB devices
I tried using one monitor. 

Latency Mon shows good performance, no issues. 
Could this be a bad stick of RAM?? how do you test that,,, pull them one by one? 
post edited by johnnyV - 2014/12/23 10:00:28

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

45 Replies Related Threads

MachineClaw
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1116
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/16 23:47:28 (permalink)
    generally RAm sticks have to be put in pairs.  they have to be the same speed and if you have 2 at one speed and 2 at another speed then you have to put the pairs in in a certain order.  I think it is slowest then fastest in other bank and then the fast ram clocks at the lower speed (kinda of a waste but at least you get to use all ram).

you may have a bad stick.  if you have 4 I would play with only 2 sticks and swap , reboot, swap , reboot and see if you can identify the bad ram stick.

you may have a bad BIOS setting that is doing something odd.  very hard to tell.

one long beep and 1 short beep is memory error usually.

aslo check and make sure that the memory stick is actually seated properly.  they can look seated and be just a bit off and that will give you problems.
    johnnyV
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 00:17:38 (permalink)
    It's one short beep. The RAM are all the same. I double checked the seating.  All 16 Gigs shows in windows. That's why I was reluctant to blame the RAM. The Bios I havn't even touched and I'll check to make sure there is no updates.
    The other mystery is this only happens on a cold boot.
    A re start works fine.
    I've ordered a wireless USB device so I can put it back on line to see if there's something just not updated properly. I left it for 3 days on line and it stopped updating. But the tray is nagging me. I guess Windows 8 sucks at being off line. I figure the USB wireless will be perfect as I'll just yank it out when not wanted ( mostly)
    There's also weirdness with the front USB 3.0 Maybe I hooked the wires up wrong to the header?
    Trouble is I'm  too busy recording to mess around to much and it does work once fired up. I'm just scared it won't fire up the day a client is sitting there. 

Scarlett 6i6
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

MachineClaw
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 01:43:59 (permalink)
    I bought parts and had the store do my latest build.  didn't have time or energy to test and figure out all the little things.

I would say something is set weird in your boot BIOS settings, but who knows.  I got nuttin.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 06:42:42 (permalink)
    With a new build, anything can be suspect.  As it does it at power on, the board is doing a power on self test and is apparently detecting some issue.  It has a 2 digit display on the board and an error code could help in problem determination.   That is the first place to start.  Just installing more memory, moving memory around or whatever isn't going to really get you to the problem.  You have to start with the POST (Power On Self Test) and what the two digit readout is showing you.   There is a long list of the debug error codes that can be displayed on the two digit display on the motherboard in the manual.

This board has large array of buttons for over clocking, turning memory on off, etc.  I would make sure they are not affecting anything.  Do not use any over clocking, etc until you have the system stabilized.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 06:59:38 (permalink)
    It can be helpful to have a keyboard that works at the most basic level handy. Maybe something with a PS2 connector.

fireberd
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 07:53:46 (permalink)
    A PS/2 keyboard connector is a thing of the past on most new motherboards.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 08:09:20 (permalink)
    I just went to the Intel website and looked at the first board in their list of currrent offerings:

http://ark.intel.com/prod...l-Desktop-Board-DQ87PG

It has a PS/2 connector.

Granted I may be wrong in that it may be for the mouse instead of the keyboard. I didn't see that info.

On my 18 month old motherboard I have a PS2 connector, that I hope is for the keyboard and on the day that the system will not boot with my USB/wireless motherboard I hope to rescue it with an old PS2 keyboard.

When I hear beeps the first thing I think is "bad keyboard"... I know that's old school thinking, but BIOS likes to find a keyboard.

fireberd
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 08:37:03 (permalink)
    The Z77 boards I have, right now an ASRock and an ASUS do not have the PS/2 connector.

But, I don't think the keyboard type is an issue as modern BIOS' are designed to work with USB keyboards and mice.  This wasn't the case years ago, the USB devices were not recognized until Windows started.

As I noted the first step is to check the two digit diagnostic display on the motherboard for any error codes and go from there.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 08:50:56 (permalink)
    In the absence of a trustworthy keyboard, I'd go with a MemTest boot disk and run it for 24 hours and see what that says.

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 08:57:39 (permalink)
    I'll second Mikes suggestion...

Don't assume that because it's new... that the RAM is fine.
    Test to be sure...
    DDR3 is the most common (hardware) culprit on a modern build machine.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 15:18:50 (permalink)
    First enter the BIOS and "load optimized defaults" to clear any settings that may be problematic.
    A quick and dirty way to check the memory is to use the Microsoft diagnostic built into Windows. If you are getting errors on the POST that will probably pick up a problem. Running memtest overnight will be more definitive, but not necessary if the MS utility finds a problem, and a lot more time consuming.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer

fireberd
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 16:56:33 (permalink)
    It still goes back to what I said about the diagnostic display on the motherboard.  When you power on and it bombs out, look at the display and note the code that is being displayed.  If it is an error code the list in the manual will tell you what it is. 

If there is no error code, then go with the memtest86 or whatever.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    johnnyV
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 21:12:19 (permalink)
    Sorry I was busy all day recording with a client.. The computer actually booted fine this morning without the blue screen. I even re booted once because I couldn't get my A49 to work ( USB was still unplugged from testing duh. Anyhow from the first time I turned it on the light on the mobo has displayed AO. Which according to the manual " IDE initialization is started" which seems to mean nothing,,, There is no IDE conections, all is SATA. 
    The signal beep according to gigabyte file;
    1.AWARD BIOS 1short beep :System normal 
    2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error   = I think this is mine= American Megatrend Inc? 

I just went and turned it on to see which BIOS I had and got the blue screen. 
    Took advice and reset with F7 to optimize,  Blue screen again. 

So looks like memory error. 
    I'll go run this test your talking about. 

Thanks everyone, I need all the help I can get..  I always win the battle when it comes to technology run amuck. I will not let a little tiny beep win!!  

Scarlett 6i6

johnnyV
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/17 21:56:35 (permalink)
    OK memory test passed. I will do what Jack is recommending tomorrow,
    I'll open up the side and see what the LED Say's when it goes blue screen. 

Scarlett 6i6

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 08:16:03 (permalink)
    What memory test did you use? Memory problems can be wildly intermittent.

johnnyV
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 12:28:36 (permalink)
    I ran the Windows memory test as startabartfast posted. I ran 2x and reported no issues.

Just now I opened it, re seated the RAM, unplugged the front USB 3.0 to Mobo cable which isn't working anyway? and on start got blue screen. The LED fires off a million numbers and I took note of as many as I could read, last 2 are slower and A2 then it stays at A0. Both these are IDE related and as far as I can tell are not issues but just reporting it has initialized.  

Memory error would be 50-55, which I don't see after watching a few re boots. 
    There is always the one beep. 
    I re booted a dozen times and the pattern seems to be that every second boot is OK. 
    I was using the Mobo on /off button inside. 
    Note that when it boots , it boots super fast and there seems to be absolutely no issues at all. It's working as expected.

I guess because I have 4 sticks of RAM, I could now try removing in pairs. 

So far the history is: 
    Initial build only 2 sticks of 4 Gig DDR3 1600 RAM 
    Single beep from first boot up. 
    Machine performed as expected and installed Widows 8.1 to new SSD drive. 
    Beep continued, LED always shows A0 after boot. 
    Machine was re booted dozens of times without issues while running updates etc. 
    First Blue screen was once it was placed in studio. 
    So I unplugged all usb devices and the second monitor too. 
    I checked all connections inside including the RAM. 
    Reading the single beep was memory, I double checked memory channel placement and decided I'd order 2 more sticks of Identical RAM. 
    This did not change the behavior so therefore I posted here. 

I'm not in love with this Gigabyte Mobo. I'm more used to Asus boards. The instructions are terrible and there's 100 pages about overclocking and very little about the connections. 

One other question, the instructions and pictures are not clear regarding SATA connections. 
    Other mobos I've used the connection is pointing up and clearly marked 1-2-3-4-5-6-
    This stupid board the connectors are sideways and hard to get at.  
    There are 2 stacked marked SATA 3 
    then a 6 gang stack marked SATA express. 

I have my OS SSD drive and the DVD drive connected to the Sata 3 pair

my 2 data drives are connected to the sata express.
    Is this correct? 

and I really appreciate you all taking the time to walk me through this. 

I've got to get busy editing yesterdays session so no time for the dumb computer part until tonight. Thanks once again. 

Scarlett 6i6

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 13:04:43 (permalink)
    According to the motherboard documentation, a single short beep at start up indicates everything is normal.

Taken from: Gigabyte Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 Z97
    (I open PDF docs in Chrome, then I used CTRL+F for Find, for text: Beep)

It returned the following text at the first location of Beep it found:

"
    PW (Power Switch, Red):
    Connects to the power switch on the chassis front panel. You may configure the way to turn off your
    system using the power switch (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Power Management," for more
    information).
    • SPEAK (Speaker, Orange):
    Connects to the speaker on the chassis front panel. The system reports system startup status by issuing
    a beep code. One single short beep will be heard if no problem is detected at system startup.
    • HD (Hard Drive Activity LED, Blue):
    Connects to the hard drive activity LED on the chassis front panel. The LED is on when the hard drive
    is reading or writing data.
    • RES (Reset Switch, Green):
    Connects to the reset switch on the chassis front panel. Press the reset switch to restart the computer
    if the computer freezes and fails to perform a normal restart.
    • CI (Chassis Intrusion Header, Gray):
    Connects to the chassis intrusion switch/sensor on the chassis that can detect if the chassis cover has
    been removed. This function requires a chassis with a chassis intrusion switch/sensor."

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 13:59:15 (permalink)
    This does look like the manual for the motherboard: 

http://www.cdromland.nl/productpdf/00162283-manual.pdf

Trouble shooting begins on page 110 in the manual.  You can click on the line in the Table of Contents to go straight there.

Explanations for displayed 2-digit codes are also listed a couple pages later

A0 seems to indicate simply that IDE initialization has started.

BoB Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    johnnyV
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 15:20:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Bob, but I have both the quick guide and full paper copy as well as the PDF so I have everything they supply for this board. And I'm fully aware of all the codes as I also said above.  Only concern I have  is if the term IDE applies to the SATA  and if I am using the wrong connections- see bottom of post #17

There is a difference in beeps depending on which  BIOS they used. See my post #14

1.AWARD BIOS 1 short beep =:System normal 
    2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep= :Memory Error  
    I think this is mine as Bios say's at bottom - American Megatrend Inc  

Scarlett 6i6

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 15:46:20 (permalink)
    Now that you've saved all this time with Windows memory test, you might want to try a boot CD with Memtest and actually test the memory.

Memtest will ferret out an intermittent problem. Heck, I run memtest on memory I think is good... if you have a reason to think your memory is bad, the sooner you ferret out a problem the less likely you are to corrupt your Windows install and have to go back to square one.

If you had never gotten it to boot to Windows I would be more focused on the motherboard info... but the fact that you have had Windows running makes me think it's time to check that memory.

Good luck.

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 16:04:28 (permalink)
    johnnyV
    Anyhow from the first time I turned it on the light on the mobo has displayed AO. Which according to the manual " IDE initialization is started" which seems to mean nothing,,, There is no IDE conections, all is SATA. 

Actually, it does mean something. If you look in device manager and try to find a "SATA controller" listed, I doubt you will find it. Most SATA controllers are implemented as logical ATA devices, your computer sees them as ATA not PATA or SATA. The electronics is different, but the interaction with the software via the MB is tied to the ATA legacy. So it is telling you that the BIOS is starting to connect to the hard drive.
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 16:25:08 (permalink)
    That is one impressive motherboard, from looking at the specs.

Quick question: what BIOS version is currently on the motherboard?  I believe from your initial post that you hadn't done anything with updating BIOS, if I recall correctly, and I just wanted to take a look at the various versions they released.

What a bizarre error condition, to have 2nd boots seemingly OK - that's a new one on me.

Forgive me for being behind the 8-ball on your issues - I AM trying to get up to speed on the thread, and will do my best to help you, if I can.  :)

I did double-check the supported memory, and all seems fine and good with that (I was also pretty sure you would have checked that too, but I was just trying to be thorough).

Also, early in the thread, you indicated all maintenance and firmware being done.  For the maintenance, are you strictly referring to Windows maintenance, or driver maintenance, or both?  Thanks for some clarification on that, too.

I ask, because for one of the computers I built, there were some 3rd-party drivers for the USB 3 support, and it made me wonder if you had applied the base drivers from the disc that came with the motherboard, and then was wondering about any subsequent application of drivers from the Gigabyte site.

Bob Bone

johnnyV
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 18:44:39 (permalink)
    Thanks all I think I 'm getting somewhere slowly here.
    Mike- I just Googled Memtest and it gets scary. 
    So is there a recommended link for Memtest ? This one looks legit 

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

I will defiantly run it no matter what, NCIX where I buy parts has a solid return policy. 

Dave - Thanks for that, I figured as so much. And as far as I can tell the AO is just the final post and not an error message. 
    But it still brings up my question from # 17 on which SATA ports are the correct ones for your OS drive. The SATA 3? ( my guess) or the SATA express? The manual just says to hook your drives to the SATA connectors and no mention of which ones are for what. 

Bob: Not sure which BIOS I'll look next time I boot, I'm just on a coffee break from editing and the client is returning tonight so I gotta get it done, no time for stupid computer, it's running, scarred to turn it off!
    Good point about the bios updates and especially the USB 3.0 drivers. The rear ports work but this front one is iffy. It works for a mouse but not USB drives? And my main external drive is a USB 3.0 drive. It works on the back but that's a pita.
    I have ordered a USB wireless device so I can put the DAW on line without moving it downstairs. I'll do a little more updating then. 

Anyhow, back to Sonar world for some more Dobro and Mandolin track editing.    

Scarlett 6i6

robert_e_bone
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 19:23:06 (permalink)
    Hang in there, so we can all go down with the ship - actually, I am hoping that between everyone, and the internet, there should be some kind of solution for this mess.  I'm optimistic.  

Bob Bone

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 20:20:16 (permalink)
    Hi Johnny,
     This is what I've been using for many years: http://www.memtest.org/

You can find this file on that page: http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.iso.zip

You'll need to use a ISO disc burner application to burn yourself a bootable CD of the .iso file inside that .zip. I just use a utility that came with my laptop for this.

You make sure your bios will boot to your DVD/CD drive and let Memtest do its thing. The longer you let it run the more exhaustive the test is. If it finds a problem it will list it for you.

Good luck.

johnnyV
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 21:47:51 (permalink)
    Mike, First I clicked on the direct download link you posted, It downloaded in 2 seconds.. so it's bogus I guess. 
    That's the site I didn't like as it has typical false Download buttons all over it... sorry, I avoid downloads from sites  like that.
    I downloaded the one from the link I posted and it seems clean and the site was straight forward. I'll give it a go tomorrow night. 

Scarlett 6i6

MachineClaw
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/18 21:58:41 (permalink)
    by all means continue with the memory test but.....

in post #17 you stated you disconnected the front USB 3.0 from motherboard because it wasn't working.

uh, you might have other connections not in the right place and THAT may be why your having all the issues with blue screen.

I think you should take a minute to pretend your starting over , don't disconnect just do a step by step and retrace ALL connections so your sure you don't have something weird going on.

power to mobo, trace cables, yep.  next memory seated in both slots, how many slots are there, is the 1st pair in A and 2nd pair in B, yep.  etc.

I know it sounds really silly but last build I did I had USB connectors reversed and memory in slot pairs C and D not A and B (8 slot mobo).  I really got frustrated and fuming until I took a break, calmly retraced everything and boom found the issues to resolve.

building a puter can get so frustrating.  you can get there.
    johnnyV
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/19 00:15:03 (permalink)
    That's why I bought the second pair of RAM, All 4 slots are full of the same stick. 

I did re check my little microscopic connections and all is good. They are for the front panel switches and lights which all work fine.The USB 3.0 connector is big. looks like at least 12 pin so there's no way to mix it up.  The connection works, sort of, but it has trouble recognizing USB storage devices. There is a USB 2.0 connector on the front that is working fine. 

I think Bob has nailed it with there might be special drivers that were not on the CD or didn't get installed. I'll run the mobo driver CD again and see what's on it, I just let it automaticly do it's thing, but there might be more stuff on it I missed. 
    This issue just might be resolved with a little more updating. I see my wireless adaptor has arrived at the depot so I'll pick it up tomorrow. 

Scarlett 6i6

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Blue screen on start up? 2014/12/19 06:53:12 (permalink)
    johnnyV
    Mike, First I clicked on the direct download link you posted, It downloaded in 2 seconds.. so it's bogus I guess. 
    That's the site I didn't like as it has typical false Download buttons all over it... sorry, I avoid downloads from sites  like that.
    I downloaded the one from the link I posted and it seems clean and the site was straight forward. I'll give it a go tomorrow night. 

Johnny,
     That's some of the funniest logic I have ever encountered.

Diagnostic practice generally requires a solid use of logic. Good luck with your trouble shooting. :-)

Signing off.

Best regards,
    mike

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1