High Pass Madness!

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2014/12/18 00:39:24 (permalink)

High Pass Madness!

I found this video, about the common mixing mistakes made with high pass filters, very interesting and enlightening. Would love to hear the thoughts of others on the subject. He talks about what he sees as the common misconception that you should high pass all of your tracks except the kick and the bass. Some people cut a bunch of the lows out, even up to 400-500Hz. Basically what I took home from it was:

• If you high pass your tracks too much, you lose a lot of the low end energy in your mix and the highs make it sound harsh and brittle. You're basically taking away the balls of the track. Try attenuating the lows (perhaps with a shelf) instead of cutting them. 
  • Because filters introduce phase shifts into your signal, you're creating phase problems which build up in the mix between certain elements - especially if your're high passing multi-miked instruments separately. Therefore if you must high pass such instruments, high pass them together at the bus stage.
  • The same goes for high passing tracks at every stage, for example high passing a direct guitar along with the amped version. And high passing the track, and then the bus etc. 
  • Because of the resonant bump at the cutoff point of a pass filter, don't high pass all of your tracks at the same frequency. For instance, if you're cutting all of your tracks at 80Hz, you're going to get a build up around 80Hz. 

Anyway here it is: 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

7 Replies Related Threads

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: High Pass Madness! 2014/12/18 13:04:04 (permalink)
    Interesting. 

I think it's very easy for some of us to end up doing things systematically. I know my own brain is always seeking patterns, even on a subconscious level, always looking for the way to do things. It's a constant battle to try and keep a fresh perspective. The way many of us learn - reading and watching tutorial instead of working with an experienced engineer - probably doesn't help either.

I think it's entirely possible that we sometimes overdo it. I know I've done it a few times. Lesson learned. But considering that a lot of us are dealing with sampled instruments and virtual synths and all sorts of DI boxes, it's absolutely not unlikely that a typical song would require a lot of high passing, because manufacturers seem to like to hype their products and exaggerate the low end, the high end and the stereo width. 

It's a range that's hard to get right because most of us work in rooms and with set ups which give us a warped perception of what's really going on.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: High Pass Madness! 2014/12/18 13:16:34 (permalink)
    Rain
    Interesting. 

I think it's entirely possible that we sometimes overdo it. 

Agreed.  You should look and listen to what is going on before apply filters but definately need to A/B the results.  I have almost killed some good low end by apply a standard HPF when it wasn't really necessary.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: High Pass Madness! 2014/12/18 13:20:42 (permalink)
    and remember,
    not all EQ plugins were created equal.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: High Pass Madness! 2014/12/18 13:36:58 (permalink)
    A few notes on the bullet-ed points.

1) If you high pass below the lowest fundamental, you will lose nothing.  Setting the filters too high will of course cause a lack of bass response.   It takes some analysis to determine the right point, and a good, full range, speaker system to confirm you are not doing more harm than good.  
    2) Phase shifts only occur at the point of the affected signal, so you don't need to worry too much about the higher frequencies becoming out of phase, which is where and audible problems would occur.  Of course linear phase eq's were created to avoid any problems period.  

I use high pass filters often for high frequency instruments and sometimes on the master buss, cutting the energy below 30Hz where not much useful musical information occurs.  To use it on every track is overkill and rather pointless.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    robbyk
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    Re: High Pass Madness! 2014/12/18 15:54:26 (permalink)
    This is a very useful and informative thread, thanks!

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
    Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: High Pass Madness! 2014/12/18 17:40:49 (permalink)
    Linear-phase EQ

that's what i use

in conjunction with 'regular' eq's

like i said before..........

not equal

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: High Pass Madness! 2014/12/18 18:12:06 (permalink)
    I really don't know anyone who says you should high-pass everything except the kick and bass, but here are a few more comments...
    • The slope matters a lot. You might think you're below the range of an instrument, but the filter can affect higher frequencies.
    • With samplers, transposing downward can produce subsonic artifacts that kill headroom. An HPF is salvation in this case.
    • If DC offset is an issue, an HPF will help get rid of it.
    • There are low-frequency components that are part of an instrument's sound. If you cut out too much, you'll lose them.
    • An HPF is great for getting rid of room rumble but sometimes you want that (e.g., room mics with big drum sounds).

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1