Emergency Key Change!!

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2014/12/13 11:18:36 (permalink)

Emergency Key Change!!

So let's say I've already had my musicians come in and record their parts on their instruments.... but suddenly, the client wants the key of the entire song chance by a couple of half steps.
How should I go about this? Is there a method where I can do it with the final mix, or will I have to pitch shift manually, track-by-track? What sounds best?

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

14 Replies Related Threads

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/13 14:57:50 (permalink)

I'm out 

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2014/12/14 20:10:31

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/13 19:11:27 (permalink)
    davdud101
    So let's say I've already had my musicians come in and record their parts on their instruments.... but suddenly, the client wants the key of the entire song chance by a couple of half steps.
    How should I go about this? Is there a method where I can do it with the final mix, or will I have to pitch shift manually, track-by-track? What sounds best?

First, I assume you're not using MIDI. 

Second, if you do the final mix, any unpitched parts (like drums) will be transposed as well...you probably don't want that, so you'll need to transpose each pitched audio track, or premix all pitched tracks and transpose that.

The DSP-based Process >Transpose algorithm in SONAR is up there with the best of them. If it doesn't do it for you, it's unlikely you'll find something that does.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    davdud101
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/14 00:03:47 (permalink)
    I mixed these two methods and within about 15m I transposed and jumped all of my (audio) tracks individually Using the Process->Transpose dialogue... I'm surprised how well it went, it sounds very natural! I didn't know it was actually algorithm-based and not just straight-up pitch shifting it.
    She will be satisfied, I'm certain!

Anderton
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/14 11:19:16 (permalink)
    SONAR's pitch-shifting algorithm is licensed from iZotope, and it's very good. A couple semitones is fine, but of course the more you transpose, the less natural the sound.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/15 08:25:12 (permalink)
    Next time..... be absolutely certain the key is correct for the singer BEFORE you hit record on audio tracks.  It's good that Sonar saved the day, but it was still extra work for you and I'm sure, a bit of a panic moment as well.

I've had to use melodyne to fix some things but not transpose entire tracks to a different key.....well, not yet anyway.

The ones I love are the singers who waste your time bouncing around on keys.... finally settling, or so it seems, on the right key, only to come up and want a half step more in one direction or another...... whatever makes them happy...... right?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/15 10:50:37 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker
    whatever makes them happy...... right?

As long as they're paying.....  Yes

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

davdud101
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/15 11:13:46 (permalink)
    Haha! I'll keep that in mind. everything was all written out long ago, unfortunately. 

While I'm here, I have a few questions:
    1) I get a lot of commissions from people I know. What is the best way to break to them the fact that it cost money, and the price?
    2) What is a decent pricing scale? I think I've done enough good work that I it's reasonable to charge. How should I base my system?

Guitarhacker
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/15 20:25:06 (permalink)
    How to break it to them that it costs money?

Straight up.  Either quote them the hourly rate or a project rate. What ever you charge, don't be ashamed to ask for it.   Time is money and people know that if they go somewhere else they will have to pay for the service there...so you asking to be paid is part of the business and normal.

Pricing... look around at other local studios and see what they are charging. Figure out where you fit into the quality/price vs the other locals.  Set your price at the higher end of what you think your time and experience is worth in the local market. You can always come down in price to get a job but you can't go up on rates in the middle of a project.

I don't do much work for hire, and I have very little local studio competition around here..... I don't generally do walk in clients.... it's mostly on line when I do work for others. Word of mouth. We settle on the price for the project or the hourly rate or a per track rate up front. Recently, I did a song project.... just tracks for a client. It was a cost of the project deal. He was wanting to change this and that, then the key, and I had to write to him and tell him that his indecision needed to stop and we needed to get the project rolling. Time is money and it was being wasted on all the changes. I told him to pick a key, settle on a style and lets get this done..... the option was I was out unless he could find something he liked and we would go with it.  Waaa Laaa.... he liked the style and the key, we finished the project and I sent him  the song as MP3 with silence breaks...... for his approval. He liked it, paid me and I sent him the full wave.

Then..... 2 weeks later.... he came back wanting a key change on it. I told him it would cost the same as he had just paid and I could rework it in that new key..... he declined. I didn't really care.   Thar's the great thing about running a studio as a hobby..... I don't have to accept the work and I don't worry when someone walks away.

Always write up a work for hire that specifies the money to be paid. Get signatures and only then start the work. If not, you'll get screwed. Get a deposit or down payment depending on the size of the project. Figure out based on the time you expect the project to take, when you have used that deposit. DO NOT keep working without getting another chunk of money.  Always be working on their money (dime) or you will end up working on your time.

I've seen a number of folks here who tried running studios complain that they had spent 10 hours on a project, were paid for 3 hrs with the deposit (if they bothered to get one) and then the band/artist said he/she didn't like the way it was sounding and walked away..... leaving the studio on the hook for free studio time.

I put silence into all my mp3 test tracks..... every 10 seconds. That kept the customers from using the mp3 and walking out on paying for a finished product.

Just my 2 cents.....

BMI/NSAI

dwardzala
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1470
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/16 08:02:25 (permalink)
    The silence idea to limit the usefulness of the track until payment is recieved is a great idea.

Dave
    Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
    MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
    Win10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
    M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
    https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

davdud101
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/16 15:22:25 (permalink)
    Yeah, I actually am going to use that. I have no b axis, and really I'm at no 'professional' level, so I'm still figuring out how to DO the labor and run the books. So basically GH, you've got it like... :

1. Client pays a security, then you begin work and have them client pay in increments
    2. Once it's done, you send a semi-lo-quality, semi-silenced copy for final product demo
    3. The client finishes payment and you send the full quality final product
    That's pretty simple. I'd have to say though- I'm curious how your online work goes? Do you still go by an hourly rate? 
    I'm thinking in terms of ME- I like to experiment, I'm not the greatest producer and so I might take a long time to fix something... How do you factor something like that out of the total when it's at an hourly rate? I think that's been what scares me away from doing walk-ins, especially when my church's studio gets running.

jeffb63
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 516
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/17 05:59:48 (permalink)
    The zPlane elastique in sound forge is very good.

Studio:
    X3 Producer on i7 4770K Asus Z87-K 32Gb G-Skill Trident X. W8.1 x64. 2408 Mk3, ADI8-DD. BCF2000. 
    Stage:
    Cantabile Performer 2 on Lenovo W530 i7 3720QM 16Gb DDR3. Samsung 840 Evo, Samsung 840 Pro. W7 x64.
    Anderton
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/17 20:52:51 (permalink)
    jeffb63
    The zPlane elastique in sound forge is very good.

Agreed, that's the other one I consider in the same league as Radius. 

Jablowmi19
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/18 02:33:17 (permalink)
    I like SoundForge, there are always artifacts when you undertake such a journey, but they're pretty good if you are only pushing it a semitone or two.
    Guitarhacker
    Re: Emergency Key Change!! 2014/12/18 08:12:47 (permalink)
    davdud101
    Yeah, I actually am going to use that. I have no b axis, and really I'm at no 'professional' level, so I'm still figuring out how to DO the labor and run the books. So basically GH, you've got it like... :

1. Client pays a security, then you begin work and have them client pay in increments
    2. Once it's done, you send a semi-lo-quality, semi-silenced copy for final product demo
    3. The client finishes payment and you send the full quality final product
    That's pretty simple. I'd have to say though- I'm curious how your online work goes? Do you still go by an hourly rate? 
    I'm thinking in terms of ME- I like to experiment, I'm not the greatest producer and so I might take a long time to fix something... How do you factor something like that out of the total when it's at an hourly rate? I think that's been what scares me away from doing walk-ins, especially when my church's studio gets running.

First of all, I don't do a lot of work for hire....it's only on occasion.   But , yes... steps 1,2,3 are what I used.  Although quite often, since it is not my "dayjob" I will start a project with no retainer fee paid. If I did this as a source of income, absolutely, no pay, no play.

Next, I mostly give a set price for something. As I said before, the down side to a set price is that the client tried, in this case, to change this, change that, I don't like this, I don't like that and I had to put my foot down to stop the diminishing returns on that set price. Once I let him know that I wasn't going to spend hours of time redoing things that really didn't fit into the big picture, we were able to move forward. One of the biggest time wasters on this project was trying to nail down the specific style this client wanted. He was sending me one or two videos and telling me, kinda like this style in the video, but more of a cross between the "Black Keys" and "Johnny Cash"..... WHAT?  I'd throw something together and .... close.... but more like this video and a bit more this or that..... stuff like that can drive you crazy and wastes time..... but across the net, with someone who only sings and wants backing tracks.... it is what it is.  This was the point, after several days, back and forth with several demo's... time to make a freaking decision and nail something down or pull the plug on it.

I basically sent an email that said something to this effect. We agreed to a specific price for the song project/tracks. My ability to deliver a quality product to you at that price depends upon you being able to make decisions and move the project forward. I'm willing to spend as much time as you wish on specifics. However, that extra time to do so, was not calculated into the project cost. It would be necessary for me to charge you XX dollars per hour if we need to spend time reworking tracks at this point in the project.

Upon receiving this email, the client agreed that the tracks we had to that point, in the last demo I sent, were in fact, perfectly good and he was just being a bit too picky.  We went on to finish the project and finalize it. I sent an mp3 of the finished track with tiny gaps of silence..... I used the "mute a section" of the song function in Sonar....used the PROCESS AUDIO FX and waaa laaaa... short gaps placed to allow the client to hear the important parts but rendered the track unusable for commercial purposes. This process of gaps of silence were used in ALL demos going to the client. Also, this gap technique is used in plugin FX that are full function and then revert to demo mode after 10 days.....some use bursts of white noise, some use gaps.  Gaps are harder to fill. 

Once he paid me with PayPal, and I transferred the payment to my bank... I sent him the link to DL the full, unadulterated wave file of the song project.

He wasn't sure if he just wanted the project as a single wave or if he wanted the individual tracks..... and a number of other issues.....like mixing them himself or paying another studio to do so..... mastering, adding his vocals to the song.... on and on..... it was necessary to pin him down to what he was willing to pay me to do....then setting out to do that.  In the end, he wanted me to provide ONE track, mixed and polished, ready to go so all he needed was to drop his vox into it.   I saved the project in case he comes back and wants to purchase the individual tracks. 

After this was all said and done.... he came back asking if we could change the style or was it the key? I think it was the key.... half a step lower....  I replied certainly!  It would cost the same as what I had done in the original. Haven't yet heard back.

The important part in all that above is to try to cater as much as you can to the client's desires...yes, you want to give them what they are looking  for and more.... but at the same time, be ready, willing and able to put your foot down when needed and keep things on track and profitable. The clients will push you as far as you let them. So keep control of the process.

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1