Helpful ReplyAnother DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 07:15:39 (permalink)
Bajan Blue
Personally, if this gestapo like attitude of not mentioning other products that many of us have and use just so we can continue to contribute to a Cakewalk forum about music software in general, were to drive the likes of Rain away, firstly this forum would be demonstrably devalued and secondly I think MANY people would give up on it. period
What has got into people - this is a forum where other software is discussed, is it not.
This is only of BENEFIT to Cakewalk and Cakewalk users. If something like VCA is discussed,  it can only be a good thing, surely?
I had a horrible feeling when the reorganization and hosts etc were recently introduced that it would be a bad thing - seems my fears may well have been  correct.

Clearly you did not bother to read my posting on this thread. You speak of a gestapo attitude when nothing could be further from the truth. When members post this kind of thing that is in absolute opposition to what has actually been clearly stated one has to wonder what it is you have been reading? 

Using such terms can only cause problems and I would hope you will reconsider your position on this once you have read what was actually written. 

Your concern about hosts here is completely unfounded. No host has said you or anyone else can't post about other DAWs in this forum. 

Best
John
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 10:21:02 (permalink)
Bajan Blue
Personally, if this gestapo like attitude of not mentioning other products that many of us have and use just so we can continue to contribute to a Cakewalk forum about music software in general, were to drive the likes of Rain away, firstly this forum would be demonstrably devalued and secondly I think MANY people would give up on it. period
What has got into people - this is a forum where other software is discussed, is it not.
This is only of BENEFIT to Cakewalk and Cakewalk users. If something like VCA is discussed,  it can only be a good thing, surely?
I had a horrible feeling when the reorganization and hosts etc were recently introduced that it would be a bad thing - seems my fears may well have been  correct.

It was a forum member who objected to talking about other software, not a host. Nothing has been deleted, no one has been banned, no one has been reprimanded by any hosts. And I stand behind this statement:

"If someone has nothing to do with Cakewalk software and comes into Cakewalk forums to discuss other software, at best that seems peculiar, and at worst, downright rude."

That's a RANGE of possibilities. I think it would be peculiar indeed if someone used only, say, Pro Tools and came in here to discuss some Pro Tools-specific topic. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to go to the Pro Tools forum, which is by definition filled with people who use Pro Tools and could therefore discuss Pro Tools-related topics with more authority? And at worst, if someone came in here and said "I use software XYZ, I've never used SONAR, you guys are all idiots for using it" that would indeed be "at worst, downright rude."

If you consider those actions Gestapo-like tactics, the only conclusion I can draw is that you don't know history. Here's a brief summary: 
  • Identifying people to be put on trains and shipped off to gas chambers for summary execution = Gestapo
  • Hosts saying it's okay to talk about non-Cakewalk software in a forum dedicated to non-Cakewalk software = not Gestapo. 
Now, can we get back to discussing the merits or lack thereof of VCA mixing? And can someone explain it to me in simple terms?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 14:05:27 (permalink)
I swear, every time in my life I have heard someone accused of using "gestapo"or "nazi" tactics, it was followed by complete nonsense. The ONLY person in this thread who complained about another DAW being mentioned is in no way affiliated with Cakewalk or gthe forum hosts, so like Larry's gibberish, the entire accusation was just an excuse to  repeat displeasure of the mere existence of forum hosts. I truly wish Cakewalk would take the gestapo like step of filtering the word"gestapo" so they could at least find more original ways to throw baseless accusations.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 14:07:24 (permalink)
After all that, I still don't understand what the huge deal is about VCA lol
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 14:31:49 (permalink)
Hosts have been supportive and courteous - they first interacted in this thread to show support and reaffirm our right to be posting here.

I still don't get why we bring up the completely hypothetical forum user who would have nothing to do with Cakewalk products, other than for rhetorical purpose. Every one involved in this discussion is or has been a Cakewalk customer one way or another, and I don't think anyone would argue that coming to these boards for support with another host could be regarded as misguided and strange or that badmouthing Cakewalk products would be rude and inappropriate.

I guess that it may happen that Sonar users who also happen to use MixBus or Pro Tools or whatever will interact with each other and assist each other here. But that's what a community does, and it's the exception more than the norm.

As for VCA, if it wasn't for a post about Cubase 8 on this very forum, and the discussion that followed, I'm not sure I'd have any sort of grasp on the concept yet. That's the kind of discussion that can be beneficial to just about anyone, no matter the DAW they use.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 14:58:42 (permalink)

From Wikipedia....

In sound mixing consoles[edit]

Some mixing consoles come equipped with VCAs in each channel for console automation. The fader, which traditionally controls the audio signal directly, becomes a DC control voltage for the VCA. The maximum voltage available to a fader can be controlled by one or more master faders called VCA groups. The VCA master fader then controls the overall level of all of the channels assigned to it.[2] Typically VCA groups are used to control various parts of the mix; vocalsguitarsdrums or percussion. The VCA master fader allows a portion of a mix to be raised or lowered without affecting the blend of the instruments in that part of the mix.
A benefit of VCA sub-group is that since it is directly affecting the gain level of each channel, changes to a VCA sub-group level affect not only the channel level, but also all of the levels sent to any post fader mixes. With traditional audio sub-groups, the sub-group master fader only affects the level going into the main mix and does not affect the level going to the post fader mixes. Consider the case of an instrumentfeeding a sub-group and a post fader mix. If you completely lower the sub-group master fader, you would no longer hear the instrument itself, but you would still hear it as part of the post fader mix, perhaps areverb or chorus effect.[3]
VCA mixers are known to last longer than non- VCA mixers. Because the VCA controls the audio level instead of the physical fader, decay of the fader mechanism over time does not cause a degradation in audio quality.

Digital variable-gain amplifier[edit]

digitally controlled amplifier (DCA) is a variable-gain amplifier that is digitally controlled.
The digitally controlled amplifier uses a stepped approach giving the circuit graduated increments of gain selection. This can be done in several fashions, but certain elements remain in any design.
At its most basic form, a toggle switch strapped across the feedback resistor can provide two discrete gain settings. While this is not a computer controlled function, it describes the core function. With eight switches and eight resistors in the feedback loop, each switch can enable a particular resistor to control the feedback of the amplifier. If each switch was converted to a relay, a microcontroller could be used to activate the relays to attain the desired amount of gain.
Relays can be replaced with Field Effect Transistors of an appropriate type to reduce the mechanical nature of the design. Other devices such as the CD4053 bi-directional CMOS integrated circuit can serve well as the switching function.

Sounds to me as if VCA and DCA are nothing more than discrete methods of achieving a ganged (grouped) fader automation function. (I think we can look past a dated notion of a physical attenuator directly controlling a channel-amplifier's gain, since they don't exist in a DAW anyway.) Maybe 'VCA' sounds more 'professional'...I dunno.

laudem Deo
Rain
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 15:16:28 (permalink)
SuperG
Sounds to me as if VCA and DCA are nothing more than discrete methods of achieving a ganged (grouped) fader automation function. (I think we can look past a dated notion of a physical attenuator controlling a channel-amplifier's gain, since they don't exist in a DAW anyway.) Maybe 'VCA' sounds more 'professional'...I dunno.

I too was under the impression that it was a questionably useful transposition of a hardware idiosyncrasy into the software world. But as far as I understand it, there is a bit more to it, mainly in the way that group of fader reacts in terms of their relative balance and the interaction with sends - it's not entirely achievable w/ simple grouping (temporary or otherwise), at least not in the DAWs I work with, though Logic has track stacks, which essentially gives you a (unique) lead fader and VCA type of grouping behaviour - exception made of the sends.

Genuine VCA implementation would allow multiple to assign a tracks to more than one VCA fader.

As to how incredibly useful it is, I believe that the simple fact that the concept seems so foreign to most indicate that it's not like it's something that will solve any issue that's been affecting the majority of us. 

The previous discussion about that feature in Cubase 8 had lots of good links in it.

John
Forum Host
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 15:23:21 (permalink)
As pointed out in the other thread about VCA Sonar has had the group function for ever. It is as described above and is proportional. These DAWs now have come up to what we Sonar users have had for a very long time. Thats what I get from all of this.  

Best
John
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 16:04:56 (permalink)
Hey... this thread is still going.  

G*****o fears aside, what Rain referred to above in regards to VCAs is accurate, at least from what I could find out on the web.  It's like a super-grouping option that affects both volume faders and sends in what seems to be a somewhat unique fashion (compared to standard grouping).   That said, I still don't feel like I'm really missing out on anything.  Maybe if I did post work or similar it would be a bigger deal?   It's a mystery...  

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Rain
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 19:24:06 (permalink)
John
As pointed out in the other thread about VCA Sonar has had the group function for ever. It is as described above and is proportional. These DAWs now have come up to what we Sonar users have had for a very long time. Thats what I get from all of this.  

They're not exactly the same, John - at first, I also thought so but there is more to it than grouping.

A very quick exemple. Let's say you have 3 faders grouped - the first two are at -3db and the third one is at -5 db.

Push the 3rd one all the way up to 0db. The others will simply reach 0db a bit earlier and stay there. Once you pull back that third fader, their initial "relative"  settings will be lost - the relation becomes absolute... At least in PT and Logic. I can't say for Sonar.

That's not necessarily something everyone would need but it's one illustration of how they differ from groups (which as far as I can remember works pretty similarly and offer as much flexibility in Sonar as they do in Logic).

There are others, but I'm just grasping the concept and there are people much better equipped than I am - and who don't have to worry about struggle with English language  - to explain it.

Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 21:17:32 (permalink)
I think that most of us have developed tactics that have more or less compensated for the lack of VCAs in SONAR and most of the DAWs out there. Since my initial post, I had a user of VCAs in consoles speak of the benefit of a single VCAS fader. I understand it a bit more now and I see how I have used a combination of groups and busses to do something along the,same line.

So, would I like VCAs now if I had thm? Probably, yes. Am I going to spend $229.00 to get that feature? Likely, not. That said, there are some pretty powerful features and improvements that come with the new version of Samplitude but nothing that is compelling me to pay that high a price for the upgrade.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Anderton
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 23:04:23 (permalink)
SuperG
VCA mixers are known to last longer than non- VCA mixers. Because the VCA controls the audio level instead of the physical fader, decay of the fader mechanism over time does not cause a degradation in audio quality.

Damn, so my SONAR faders are going to wear out faster than the ones in other DAWs! I'll try not to adjust them too much, so maybe they'll last longer. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 23:27:08 (permalink)
Rain
A very quick exemple. Let's say you have 3 faders grouped - the first two are at -3db and the third one is at -5 db.

Push the 3rd one all the way up to 0db. The others will simply reach 0db a bit earlier and stay there. Once you pull back that third fader, their initial "relative"  settings will be lost - the relation becomes absolute... At least in PT and Logic. I can't say for Sonar.

SONAR will not only remember the relative settings for faders regardless of whether you top them or bottom them out, it will do the same with automation envelopes. But where SONAR really offers an advantage is the custom grouping option where you can set arbitrary limits for faders within a group.

For example suppose you have faders at -10 for tambourine, -4 for drums, and -6 for overheads. You group them together, but when you push the -4 and -6 up, regardless of how far they go you don't want the tambourine to go over -8. Custom groups can do that. You can also preserve a linear or ratiometric relationship with faders. 

I'm still not seeing any application where VCA grouping can do something SONAR can't do and that I would find beneficial. It would save some steps if you could assign a group to a fader in a group, but I can do that with buses if it's essential.

Rain
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/18 23:36:46 (permalink)
Anderton
Rain

SONAR will not only remember the relative settings for faders regardless of whether you top them or bottom them out, it will do the same with automation envelopes. But where SONAR really offers an advantage is the custom grouping option where you can set arbitrary limits for faders within a group.

For example suppose you have faders at -10 for tambourine, -4 for drums, and -6 for overheads. You group them together, but when you push the -4 and -6 up, regardless of how far they go you don't want the tambourine to go over -8. Custom groups can do that. You can also preserve a linear or ratiometric relationship with faders. 

I'm still not seeing any application where VCA grouping can do something SONAR can't do and that I would find beneficial. It would save some steps if you could assign a group to a fader in a group, but I can do that with buses if it's essential.

Looks like it's even less of an issue in Sonar land, then. :) I remember that even back in the Pro Audio days, there were some pretty interesting grouping options. 

As far as I can tell, the lead/dummy fader also acts as an extra layer of gain control. Meaning that if all your grouped faders reach 0 db and the VCA fader still has 5 db's of headroom, you will effectively be able to squeeze 5 db's more out of those grouped tracks.

I'm still trying to figure this out, and personally, I can't really see the use. 

In Logic, track stacks offer most of the functionality and also provides the lead/dummy fader. Meaning that you can have a track stack with its lead fader, individual stacked tracks sent to different busses, and grouped in any fashion. It's all layers really, but so far as I can tell, nothing one couldn't work around or do otherwise in most modern DAWs. 

There are few things on my wish list and VCA's definitely not one of them. I already have enough points of control on gain and automation in most DAWs I've worked with.

Rain
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/19 00:30:08 (permalink)
Overall, it's a lot like a trim fader, allowing you to offset or to write automation w/o overwriting track automation.

The fact that the VCA fader isn't an actual output gives an extra layer of flexibility - the tracks w/ their automation could be routed to a bunch of different busses (and those busses have their own automation) and the VCA would allow you to make further level adjustments and even write further automation w/o compromising what's already automated.

Another thing that is different from what I can do in my DAW* is that you can have tracks associated with more than one VCA fader. So you can have one VCA for all your drums, another VCA associated only to your  kick and snare.

Again, personally, that sounds for a recipe for disaster as that's a lot of separate opportunities to mess up w/ gain and risk clipping. But that's just me. 

*Without resorting to digging into the environment, which technically could do just about any and everything.

John
Forum Host
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/19 08:24:17 (permalink)
There is also offset mode with Sonar. 

Best
John
Anderton
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/19 09:26:05 (permalink)
Rain
Another thing that is different from what I can do in my DAW* is that you can have tracks associated with more than one VCA fader. So you can have one VCA for all your drums, another VCA associated only to your  kick and snare.

You can just bus the kick and snare into a fader group and have independent control over the kick and snare as well as overall control from the fader group where the bus terminates. Any  DAW I've worked with can do that, it's nothing special about SONAR.

But I guess it would be lousy marketing copy to say "This exciting new VCA feature allows you to do things you probably don't do anyway and can already do with your existing DAW, but you don't have to create a bus! Isn't that just plain awesome?!?"

Rain
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/19 14:08:21 (permalink)
Anderton
Rain

You can just bus the kick and snare into a fader group and have independent control over the kick and snare as well as overall control from the fader group where the bus terminates. Any  DAW I've worked with can do that, it's nothing special about SONAR.

But I guess it would be lousy marketing copy to say "This exciting new VCA feature allows you to do things you probably don't do anyway and can already do with your existing DAW, but you don't have to create a bus! Isn't that just plain awesome?!?"

The difference is that you could have them assigned to a VCA fader - or as many as you want - AND bussed or not bussed.

VCA gives you an extra layer of control independent of bussing.

I wouldn't argue that this is incredibly useful - to me, it's actually useless, and, as I said, too many opportunities to mess things up. I can't imagine having 4 or 5 faders messing up with the level of my snare drums or any other track.

But I'm always hesitant to call something useless because there's always someone out there using that stuff all the time.

The great thing is that I probably learn more about the potential or lack thereof of VCA in this discussion than I did reading.

SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: Another DAW upgrade with VCA - Samplitude Pro X2 2014/12/19 20:45:23 (permalink)
What I get in this VCA discussion is that a ganged *post fader send* volume automation function really only comes into play if you're sending the gang members (heh) to different, say FX busses. That's a rather esoteric function. It could easily be done with a FX on the track itself with a wet/dry/ control.

I think it's safe to say that in the virtual world of a DAW, we're not limited by the economics, engineering choices, and the paradigms formed from them that rule physical consoles.

laudem Deo
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1