Waves users, oppinions needed

Author
Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
2014/12/17 19:21:33 (permalink)

Waves users, oppinions needed

Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting some waves plugins, there are some great deals at the moment, I have been thinking about diving into the waves for a while, but haven't as yet got wet. I have read quite a bit about peoples experiences, for some it seems the waves get pretty rough and they end up drowning in the heavy seas, and thus get out of the water never to venture there again, others seem to frolic in the calm and have no problems swimming daily.

I hear that the 'waves shell' can be fairly sharp and cause serious injury if stood on, and is very hard to get rid of, also the WUP seems to be a bone of contention.

I have read enough to confuse myself, so I thought I would have a reboot, and try again by asking here.

I prefer to avoid things which are known to be problematic, that is why I am not married or in relationship , so . . .

The waves shell - is this something one must have ?, it's not optional ? like you can't just install the plugin's like any normal regular plugin without all the extraneous bit's and pieces ? Does it have any negative impact ?

The WUP procedure, I believe you get 1 years worth with your purchase, and then must update yearly after that, what are the benefit's if any, and any downsides if you don't keep it up to date ?

Installation, I have seen a lot of people complain about the installation process, and a lot having trouble with the installation, what is your experiences ?

Are they worth it ? in your opinion ?

Thanks for reading, and for any input/advice you may give.

21 Replies Related Threads

sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/17 19:31:00 (permalink)
    The Waves shell confused me for a couple of hours and then I understood it and all has been well since then. I think the key is to stick to either 32 or 64 bit, or if it doesn't give you the option to choose, delete the shell you don't need (or store it somewhere outside your scanned VST folders). I've been a Waves Gold user for a couple of years and have had a fantastic amount of use out of those plugins. They're top quality.

My update plan is over but I see no reason to update, I have no problems with them.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/17 20:00:02 (permalink)
    I've been using the SSL 4000 stuff on just about everything, sounds great. AFAICT the Waves Shell maps the plugins into your DAW space so I think you might need it.

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/17 20:10:51 (permalink)
    That's also how I understood the Shell.

As an example, Audio Unit plug-ins usually are usually labeled "component", and reside in the plug-in folder on your HD. But my plug-in folder has no actual Waves plug-ins in it, just the Waves shell. The plug-ins themselves reside in the Applications folder. I'm guessing the shell is sort of a micro host.

The WUP can be a blessing if own many, many plug-ins or the bigger bundles, as you regularly get new plug-ins added to your bundle if you have an active WUP. If you own smaller bundles or individual plug-ins, it's a different story. But the good news is you don't have to buy it until you need a critical upgrade, and there's no penalty for skipping a few years.

Installation-wise, I've also read contradictory report. Personally, I've just upgraded my studio computer 2 months ago and Waves installation and authorization was one of the most hassle free of the bunch.

As for the plug-ins themselves, they're still some of the most widely used out there, even the older ones like the Renaissance stuff. I dig mine. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    rtucker55
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2177
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 00:22:39 (permalink)
    I have had some bad experiences with the waves stuff and won't be purchasing any more, I didn't even accept the free plugs they gave away the last two years. I only represent a small percentage of people who do have issues but, if/when you do, don't count on Waves support to give you much help even if you are currently under wup. 

I needed to use them on two separate machines which some people are able to do using the License cloud or a thumb drive. If I didn't have the license on the machine Sonar gave me all kinds of weird problems even when I didn't have a waves plug instantiated.

Waves support worked with me for awhile using remote connections to my machines and still could not figure it out. Their final suggestion was that I was going to Have to transfer the license to whatever machine I was using prior to opening Sonar, or, I could just purchase a license for each machine. So I ended up spending the extra money to make the problem go away.

Now I never use the Waves plugs because of others I find more desirable. I am stuck for two licenses of each plug and I can't sell them unless I re-wup each plug and then pay a transfer fee for each plug. It would cost me more to sell them than to just write them off.

They were nice plugs, even though most are old, but there are other plugs available with less cost and strings attached. Some People love Waves and that is cool if it works for them but I just don't personally have any use for them today.

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
    Eddie TX
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 01:59:55 (permalink)
    Waves plugs are top-quality, used by pros worldwide, and are a good value when on sale.  Yes, the installation is a bit convoluted, but once that's done you're usually good for a long time.  The WUP is optional, but you do have to have it in effect to sell your licenses (there is no transfer fee except for the bigger bundles). 

I think the Gold bundle is worth a look at the current sale price.  $150 or so for all those useful tools is a no-brainer, IMHO.  You can demo the bundle to make sure you and your system get along with the plugs -- if so, they'll serve you well.  Do you NEED them to do a good mix?  No, but they may make things easier for you.  I wouldn't want to be without them myself -- I still use them all the time.

Cheers,
    Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
    The future exists in all directions.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 04:52:13 (permalink)
    Waves deserves your money. They have spent millions in advertising trying to get it. Just do it!

WUP? It's hard to say if you need it. I haven't used, in the past 10 years, any of the Waves stuff that I have bought so I've rarely worried about an update. I was worried about 64 bit so instead of WUP I bought a few more Waves to set up a x64 system but I haven't actually used any of them either.

Everyone should buy some Waves. They have great sales and some real good advertisements.

post edited by mike_mccue - 2014/12/18 20:13:24

smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 07:11:10 (permalink)
    I have a lot of waves stuff and I'm a fan. I found that the Waves shell works fine if you use the default installation paths. I only ran into trouble when I tried a custom install location. To Waves credit, they were pretty responsive via email and did help me sort it out.

I used their license manager to put my licenses on a small thumb drive I had lying about, just in case I want to use them on another machine. It's plugged into a hub full time and I've never had a license issue.

I haven't used WUP yet. Once all of my stuff is out of date, I might use WUP once to get everything current (since that's the cheapest way to go) but only if they've added something that would make the WUP worth paying for.
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 08:29:40 (permalink)
    I have Platinum, which I bought many years ago (v7 ?) and WUP'd when I bought a new DAW two years ago. It was well worth it. Since then, I've added single plugins that I wanted, like SSL 4000, Aphex Aural Exciter, and so on, when they are on sale. They have been great plugins.

As far as installation issues go, I've found it best to simply unininstall the old ones and install the new ones whenever I update. Once, I had to clean out Sonar's plugin inventory in the registry to get things working again, but this only happened once.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Gone!!
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 18:44:48 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, I have loaded up the cart a couple of times now, only to back out lol. But I am going to get the Abbey Road Reel ADT plug, it has had my interest and is a little different, and do a test run with it, if installation and everything else goes well with it, I'll pull the trigger on the other stuff I am looking at, the Gold bundle, CLA Classic Comp's and CLA Signature Series (the later may be a little limited due to it's nature, but for a quick slap it on, push a few faders and get better/pleasing result it might be fine, plus it comes bundled with the Comps and still under half price of the Comp's alone, so . . .) Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter, REDD, Abbey Road EMI TG12345 and the Scheps 73.

Not quite sure if Mr Mccue may have a little tendency toward sarcasm, or perhaps was on the bottle, or forgot to take his med's, perhaps a bit of all 3, I don't know ? :)

Thanks guys, for the positive and the negative.
    BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 19:21:58 (permalink)
    I would not buy too much at full price. CLA Sig could be as low as $99.00 on sale. I have it and think it's great. Gold is the stuff at that price. About $5.00 a plug. There should be some good things on sale in the next few weeks.
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 19:24:02 (permalink)
    WAVES has many top notch plugs...as do several other companies. But, as always, it's the person USING the tool that makes the difference.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    LLyons
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 19:27:44 (permalink)
    First,  I appreciate that I am in a position that I can pick up a plugin from Waves every once in a while.  That said,  Without knowing your skill level, I think you will find that there are enough tools inside Sonar Producer X3 that it might be a smart idea to choose what you add instead of buying the larger bundles - but they are nice to have.  I like to read about the effect, then see if I don't already have it in Producer and try to mimic it just so I can tell if I need the darn thing anyway.  Thats' probably the cheep skate in me talking.

I had trepidation early on when they used a hardware dongle to authenticate, but that's now history.  I really like the ability they have built in to put keys on the PC, or store them other places so you can use them virtually anywhere.  I have used that feature to work at home, then head over to another place and use them on a different machine.  That's a welcome feature.

My current purchasing has centered around mastering.  I started with the L products (L2, L3, L3-16) and added Linear Phase EQ and C 6 multiband compressor, the latest was Vitamin.   What I learned is,  I benefited from waiting and taking my time.  First, I could not learn everything all at once - the cash outlay was not being converted to anything useful. Second, there are great deals, but none of them occurred when I wanted them.  Its funny, I use these tools the most, and are a welcome addition.

I have also bought some tools that I have only used a few times like vocal rider.  Great product, but I am blessed somehow in working with singers who have good control. Or Aphex,  its a sweet tool but I use it sparingly, and not at all on most of my mixes. Thats me, your milage may vary.  

Some plugins I use whenever I get the chance, like MaxBass.   I record with a a great old Pbass and run that through an SW900 - that combination gets a really sweet growl and low end, but I still lightly hit it with that MaxxBass every time.  It helps translate that bass onto many devices like iPOD, cheep car stereo systems and the like. 

My point - you might try the 'I have a need, therefore I try to understand and shop' process.  But heck, its fun to fill the cart and just buy, isn't it?   

L Lyons 
    DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
    Home Built Machine
    32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
    Win 10 Pro
    Intel i7-6700K
    Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
    Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
    Limited connection to internet
    DAW use ONLY
    WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
    MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
    MOTU AVB Switch
    Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
    CS18ai - Connect AVB
    Gone!!
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 20:10:22 (permalink)
    Yeah, the stuff with sonar is fine, I first started off with Cakewalk back in the Pro Audio 8/9 days, always kept up with the upgrades, but never really used it, moved on to Pro Tools for a while, and then to Reaper where I have remained until earlier this years, I'd always check in with Sonar every now and then, but always went back to Reaper. Then Earlier this year I gave X3 a whirl, came across some things that were so easy to do in Reaper, but seemingly not so in Sonar, checked into the forums, got it all sorted, actually spent the time to become familiar with Sonar and that's where I have stayed, at long last :) Now if I drop back to Reaper to check a project I started there or something, the familiarity it had is gone, and I can't wait to get back into Sonar. Never really use any off the bundled effects except for the PC modules, I got all the cakewalk modules and do use them quite a bit, but don't go much on a lot of the other effects I have tried for one reason or another. 

I probably don't 'need' anymore than I have, T Racks, Ozone 5 and 6 Advanced, Alloy 2, Nectar Production suite, whole Toneboosters catalogue and various other bits and pieces which I use all the time to varying degrees, Sometimes you'll use this, and sometimes that will sound better depending on the situation. I just want a few more tools in the box, you know how it is :)

The CLA stuff, I think is a good deal, both the CLA Classic compressors and CLA Signature Series for $240, still under half price for what they charge for just one of them at normal price. No, I wouldn't pay the full price :) but I have been wanting these for a while.

It all helps the end product sound better, at least to me, and ultimately that's the only person I have to please, so it's all good, I'm having the most fun I have had in my 50 years on this rock, and the money isn't a problem, not that I like to throw it away :)

Thanks
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 20:31:53 (permalink)
    jih64
    Not quite sure if Mr Mccue...

Just telling you my opinion. The first DAW I operated in the early nineties came with a everything Waves makes bundle... at some point I bought a x86 Diamond license for my DAW... later I bought a x64 license for my x64 DAW... at some point I just moved on to using plugins that I like. Over the years I have observed that people seem to feel obligated to treating themselves to some Waves. I've done it. It seems like everyone does it.

Enjoy!

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 21:30:33 (permalink)
    I like Waves plugins because I get versions (VST2, VST3, AAX) that can be used in every DAW program that I own. I have the Gold bundle and a pretty good collection of the "boutique" plugs? All of which I bought on sale over the last couple of years.

I use Waves plugins in nearly every project I've done since I got started with them.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Jeff M.
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 21:36:54 (permalink)
    I like the CLA comps  - very nice and they get used a lot.
    Got the Q10, SuperTap & C4 when they were on one of those $20 sales.

All of them are worth it, but the WUP is almost as much as what I paid for the lot, so I'm WUPless.

Platinum 64
    RME UCX | Studio Cat Platinum: i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 | Win 7 64
    Komplete Kontrol S61
    Gibson, Jackson, Parker, Suhr, Breedlove, Taylor, Lakland, Peavey, Marshall, Kemper
    Gone!!
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 22:06:26 (permalink)
    mike_mccue
    jih64
    Not quite sure if Mr Mccue...

Just telling you my opinion. The first DAW I operated in the early nineties came with a everything Waves makes bundle... at some point I bought a x86 Diamond license for my DAW... later I bought a x64 license for my x64 DAW... at some point I just moved on to using plugins that I like. Over the years I have observed that people seem to feel obligated to treating themselves to some Waves. I've done it. It seems like everyone does it.

Enjoy!

Yes I appreciate that, waves for whatever reason seems to be one of those things that is ubiquitous in this pursuit, and one of those things that people either love or hate, or at least have strong feelings/opinions for. They have a fairly high profile, and the marketing is certainly there. Just when I read your post some of the comments regarding advertising etc and how you owned them for so long but never used them, came across to me with a certain air of sarcasm which I found it quite amusing, my comment was meant in that same spirit  ;)
    Gone!!
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 22:17:32 (permalink)
    Well I bit the bullet, and took a little dive into the waves, I just got the Abbey Road Reel ADT and while I was there I grabbed the Scheps 73 to compare it with the T Racks 73. The ADT was as expected, like I seen on some videos, not something you would use all the time, but does what it does nicely, and I have just the place for it. Although I love my T Racks '73, I must say that I think the Waves Scheps 73 has a better quality sound to it, to my ears anyway, I messed around with the T Racks version for a while trying to match it, just couldn't get it there.

Installation, registration and Authorization all went fine, without a hitch, although I would prefer the old fashioned way, just download the individual plugins and have backup copies etc, but I guess it's not that different/bad.

So all good, off to get the rest on my list :)
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/18 22:36:27 (permalink)
    One thing you can say in favour of Waves plug-ins is that, in term of longevity, they eclipse or at the very least equal pretty much everything else out there. 

People were using Renaissance Compressor and Q10 to make records in 2001 on their Windows 98 PC and they are still using it on their Windows 8 machine in 2014...

Other plug-ins have had their hot minute but globally, not many remained at the top of their game as long as Waves. And that's also what you buy when you buy Waves. 

This doesn't only speak of quality (which can be subjective and a matter of personal taste) but of actual product life. Personally, I've lost count of how many of my favorite effects and synths have been discontinued since I've started making music on a computer.

And not necessarily obscure ones - Steinberg, Cakewalk, Native Instruments, Novation, Antares, Rob Papen... They've all dropped support for some amazing products, some more regularly than others. 

All things being relative (especially in today's market), buying from an established company (and taking its history into account) does have its advantages, and even though it's often frowned up and spoke of in a dismissive tone, paying for brand name isn't always as futile as some like to make it sound.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Gone!!
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/19 03:46:12 (permalink)
    BassDaddy
    I would not buy too much at full price.

No, I don't plan on doing that :)

BassDaddy
    CLA Sig could be as low as $99.00 on sale. I have it and think it's great.

Yeah me too, I was a little skeptical about it, thought it may be a little limited due to it's nature, but to my way of thinking I was getting it for free. Slapped it on the the snare, yeah that's pretty good, slapped it on the kick, then the toms, then the overheads, and literally started laughing, for something that you just insert and 2 or 3 mouse clicks to instant gratification, awesome.

BassDaddy
    Gold is the stuff at that price. About $5.00 a plug. There should be some good things on sale in the next few weeks.

Yeah I got Gold for $146 at PluginDiscounts, just going to have a look at all the plugs after dinner.
    Over all I am very pleased with all the purchases I made today thus far, can't see any reason that will change over the coming hours when I get a chance to check out the rest of the stuff
    Gone!!
    Re: Waves users, oppinions needed 2014/12/19 04:02:39 (permalink)
    Rain
    One thing you can say in favour of Waves plug-ins is that, in term of longevity, they eclipse or at the very least equal pretty much everything else out there. 

People were using Renaissance Compressor and Q10 to make records in 2001 on their Windows 98 PC and they are still using it on their Windows 8 machine in 2014...

Other plug-ins have had their hot minute but globally, not many remained at the top of their game as long as Waves. And that's also what you buy when you buy Waves. 

This doesn't only speak of quality (which can be subjective and a matter of personal taste) but of actual product life. Personally, I've lost count of how many of my favorite effects and synths have been discontinued since I've started making music on a computer.

And not necessarily obscure ones - Steinberg, Cakewalk, Native Instruments, Novation, Antares, Rob Papen... They've all dropped support for some amazing products, some more regularly than others. 

All things being relative (especially in today's market), buying from an established company (and taking its history into account) does have its advantages, and even though it's often frowned up and spoke of in a dismissive tone, paying for brand name isn't always as futile as some like to make it sound.

I am hearing you. I can now see for myself what people who promote waves are on about, and in my brief experience I haven't seen one of the negative things I had previously read from the others. Hopefully that won't change. I've done a few comparisons  with similar products of the same ilk, like the 73 EQ from brand A, or the LA 2A of brand A etc against the waves stuff I got today, and to my ears it's fairly clear, and that CLA Signature bundle, even if the Drums module is the only one any good out of the series, which I doubt, I'd still call it a bargain, such a great sound for zero effort, it just pumps and sits in the mix so well, amazing
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1